PDA

View Full Version : Skill Based Spellcasting Mechanics: Aid requested

Terumitsu
2012-09-19, 12:54 PM
Long story short, I'm requesting some aid in finding systems where spellcasting ability is measured the same as any other skill such as the ability to fish or hunt or the like. The reason behind this is that I've got a wild notion in mind to start making the mechanics for a game system for a homebrew setting I'm working on rather than basing it strictly off of the D20 system. I feel it would lend itself to making a magic system that would jive better than the current workings of DnD magic due to how fluff has evolved in the creation of this world.

Thank you in advance for your aid and possible advice.

Macbubble
2012-09-19, 02:06 PM
You could try and check Talislanta, mostly the d20 version. You make the spells yourself, and it works on skill checks and feats.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-19, 02:49 PM
7th Sea is sort of like that.

Alternatively, there's the truenaming system in D&D.

erikun
2012-09-19, 03:03 PM
There is Mutants and Masterminds, along with World of Darkness.

Arbane
2012-09-19, 05:37 PM
Older versions of RuneQuest have their version of Sorcery (I haven't looked at the newest one), as well as GURPS Magic's 'default' system - basically, every spell is an individual skill. That might not work too well in d20, which always struck me as stingy with its skill-points.

navar100
2012-09-19, 06:00 PM
GURPS - 3d6 system
Ars Magica - d10 system. Personal opinion: Magic system is finely detailed and logical. It makes sense.

Slylizard
2012-09-19, 06:07 PM
Ars Magica - d10 system. Personal opinion: Magic system is finely detailed and logical. It makes sense.

A vote for Ars, it is hands down the most logical and adaptable magic system I've ever seen.

Spells are based on a combination of forms and techniques (say creo=create, and ignem=fire), you have skill levels for each form/technique and the combination allows you to cast spells of differing effects and power based on that.

The best part is that it has guidelines for the creation of basically any spell you could consider.

Psyborg
2012-09-19, 06:23 PM

Another vote for AM. It's really excellent.

Tyrrell
2012-09-20, 09:54 AM
Ars Magica has is in my opinion the most enjoyable magic system ever put into a game. It gives the characters enough power to be awesome but not enough to effortlessly roll over all opposition. Its system describes magic in a very concrete and satisfying way (but because of this it may not appeal to some).

Also magic in Ars Magica uses somewhat different mechanics for magic than the rest of the game (in fact magic has more mechanics than the rest of the game combined). However there are a lot of other magic systems in Ars Magica that do use the same system as everything else. That is to say, when folks describe Ars Magica they normally talk about the magic of the Order of Hermes, the magic system in the core rulebook. There are lots of supplements the magic systems in Realms of Power: Faerie, Cradle and the Crescent, Realms of Power:Divine and some of the tradtions in Hedge magic revised (notably the learned magicians, Folk witches and the Gruaguchan) might be really cool things to adapt to your setting.

Terumitsu
2012-09-20, 01:49 PM
I've been picking over the various suggestions and Ars Magica is just about spot on for what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.