PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Scrolls

hoverfrog
2012-09-19, 03:53 PM
Hi Playgrounders.

I'm building an artificer (level 4) and I'm looking to round out my character with a selection of low level scrolls. I don't have a lot of source books so I'd be ever so grateful if you could suggest low level spells that it might be a good idea not to leave home without.

Thanks muchly.

LordHenry
2012-09-19, 04:27 PM
Good core spells, in my opinion, include Grease, mage armor (if it's useful for you or sbd in your party), sleep, silent image or the good old magic missiles for "guaranteed" damage and of course COLOUR SPRAY (my favourite ;)
2nd lvl spells, I'd choose web, invis, mirror image, minor image, glitterdust, knock (if necessary), summone monster (lasts 3 rounds already), scorching ray in case you want to dish out dmg, ray of stupidity, hypnotic pattern or rope trick (those rope tricks are always handy)

Edit: Nothing says situational more like detect secret doors, it calls out for being scribed on a scroll: "Something seems odd here. I cast detect secret doors and run around the dungeon in the hopes of finding a secret door." :smallwink:

Randomguy
2012-09-19, 04:44 PM
Scrolls work best with situtation spells. From Spell Compedium, there's Ray of Stupidity, which can take down just about any animal in one hit (even a T-rex).

Ranting Fool
2012-09-19, 05:47 PM
Good core spells, in my opinion, include Grease, mage armor (if it's useful for you or sbd in your party), sleep, silent image or the good old magic missiles for "guaranteed" damage and of course COLOUR SPRAY (my favourite ;)
2nd lvl spells, I'd choose web, invis, mirror image, minor image, glitterdust, knock (if necessary), summone monster (lasts 3 rounds already), scorching ray in case you want to dish out dmg, ray of stupidity, hypnotic pattern or rope trick (those rope tricks are always handy)

Edit: Nothing says situational more like detect secret doors, it calls out for being scribed on a scroll: "Something seems odd here. I cast detect secret doors and run around the dungeon in the hopes of finding a secret door." :smallwink:

All good and handy scrolls though mostly Arcane focused. Can't you craft Divine scrolls as well?

Comprehend Languages (Very useful if you bump into an odd NPC or want to eaves drop on some Goblins)
Entropic Shield: 20% miss chance from ranged for a caster is nice enough.
Sanctuary:Shockingly useful if you give it a high DC. Not being hit but still buffing/healing/running is always nice.

Druid scrolls
Entangle: BIG area when outside, even if they dodge and aren't entangled it's still rough terrain.

I'd just go through the spell lists later and pick a whole host of useful (but situational) spells that the rest of your party can't do/wouldn't have.

Toliudar
2012-09-19, 05:54 PM
I prefer wands for spells like Grease or Mage Armour, and scrolls for things that might get used once or twice in an entire campaign. Things like Water Breathing, Pass Without Trace, Pyrotechnics, Whispering Wind, etc. You don't need them 99% of the time, and 1% of the time they're complete game-changers.

hex0
2012-09-20, 04:10 PM
You don't need them 99% of the time, and 1% of the time they're complete game-changers.

Spiderclimb?

Iskajir
2012-09-25, 12:25 AM
Power Word Pain (RotDr) is awesome at this levels 1-4.
Web is a game-changer.
Hide from Animals/Undead will let you stay in the background buffing or laying down BFC unnoticed.
Mount is very effective is you face a lot of dumb, hungry beasts. Don't be surprised if your party cringes as it gets eaten unable to defend itself, though.
If you have access to the Trapsmith (Dungeonscape) spell list, everything on there is utterly splendid.
For damage, chose Seeking Ray (PHB2) or Ray of Stupidity for things of animal-like INT.

It really depends what you might be facing, and what you want to do with your actions...

hoverfrog
2012-09-30, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone.

Wise Green Bean
2012-09-30, 07:25 PM
I agree with Toliudar. The stuff you might use every encounter or nearly so is better to have on a wand. A level 1 scroll is 25 GP. A charge from a level 1 wand is 12.5 GP. That adds up pretty quickly. Things like grease, lesser vigor, silent image, shield, true strike, or enlarge person make great wands. I'd be wary of wands for spells like mage armor, summon monster I, and ray of enfeeblement, because caster level 1 is the best deal by far, and that seriously diminishes the usefulness. Maybe a bit less so in the case of mage armor, but you lose the ability to cast it in the morning and have it last all day, as it will only have an hour long duration. When you get a bit higher in your level, glitterdust, invisibility, and web are good choices. Eventually, wands of haste and fly will be very good investments.
Scrolls are best for more situational spells, like comprehend languages, obscure object, detect thoughts, mount, alter self, disguise self, mending, or spider climb. You don't need very often, you might only need them once or twice in the campaign. But when they're needed, holy s**t is a good to have them.
Wands are expensive in the short term, but can double your resources in the long run. You're at a big advantage over most artificers because you're starting at level 4. Level 1 artificers can't afford to make a wand, so they waste loads of money on individual scrolls. You don't have to deal with that, and can start play maximizing your bang for your buck.

ericgrau
2012-09-30, 09:25 PM
Ya use situational spells work best. Generally 2 or 3 is good, but for some you might want 1 if it's especially rare (or zero), or enough to tag the whole party.
1: alarm (CL 4), endure elements (enough for whole party), hold portal, protection from evil, shield (for when you have 5 buffing rounds), mount (enough for whole party), unseen servant, comprehend languages, identify, floating disk (CL 3), disguise self, enlarge person, magic weapon (for DR, low levels only), obscuring mist, hide from undead, remove fear
2: arcane lock, locate object, see invisibility, invisibility, levitate, spider climb, augury, delay poison, remove paralysis, silence, lesser restoration

You might also try CL 5 ray of enfeeblement scrolls or a wand and web since you don't have an actual wizard spell list. Ray of enfeeblement has no save and web is pretty handy even on a passed save. CL 3+ grease is so-so on a passed save, but more useful if your party has a rogue. Unless artificers have some ability to raise save DCs I didn't notice I wouldn't use the other popular save-for-nothing wizard combat spells that keep coming up in this thread.

Level 2 spells might be a bit expensive at the moment so it may be better to get a swarm of level 1 spells for now as they cost 1/6th as much and aren't bad.

Combat spells could be wanded. Of the utility spells the only one I could think of wanding would be invisbility. The others aren't so spammable. Even enlarge person makes your melee take much more damage too, so unless he's a grappler it's a mediocre buff overall. People tend to only look at the benefits not the drawbacks. I'd almost prefer a crossbow bolt. Well not quite, but it's close.