PDA

View Full Version : Good aligned Walker of the wastes?

silverwolfer
2012-09-19, 06:11 PM
So the adaption is like, okay yes you can, just be more a militant guard type thing, would like to ask , what are the thoughts on replacing the dry lich, that won't bring the pound hammer from unknowing pallys.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-19, 06:33 PM
There are liches of good alignment out in the d&d cosmos.

I would refocus the class around either the Archlich or Baelnorn concept. The class would fit best thematically with the Baelnorn, an Elf who chose undeath as a means to achieving some sort of very important goal. The Archlich is similar enough that it can fit too.

You can find more info on Good Liches in Monsters of Faerun.

~

There's also the option of using Eberron's Deathless creature type instead of the Undead creature type. Deathless are powered by Positive Energy instead of Negative Energy, which provides a good alternative to the Evil Dry Lich type.

Madara
2012-09-19, 06:34 PM
There are liches of good alignment out in the d&d cosmos.

I would refocus the class around either the Archlich or Baelnorn concept. The class would fit best thematically with the Baelnorn, an Elf who chose undeath as a means to achieving some sort of very important goal. The Archlich is similar enough that it can fit too.

You can find more info on Good Liches in Monsters of Faerun.

~

There's also the option of using Eberron's Deathless creature type instead of the Undead creature type. Deathless are powered by Positive Energy instead of Negative Energy, which provides a good alternative to the Evil Dry Lich type.

I'm pretty sure the info is also in BoED for Deathless.

Answerer
2012-09-19, 06:49 PM
Basically, the Walkers in the Waste are kind of like the ultimate desert-druid. As presented by default in Sandstorm, they're evil, bent on spreading the desert across the globe or whatever. But it would be trivial to make them Good by making them merely protect the desert and its environs or whatever. Hell, they could even save outsiders who get lost out there, depositing them somewhere just outside the desert.

Or you could copy Tal Rasha et al. from Diablo II: they buried something out there, something not meant to ever be found, and then they made themselves liches/mummies to make sure no one ever found it, or protect it if anyone ever did. If that was the function of the Walkers, then they could quite obviously be Good.

As for deathless, that is of course a possibility, but personally I think that the positive=good, negative=evil thing is dumb and overblown. You'd get way more style points in my book being proper undead.