PDA

View Full Version : Get Well Wishes for the Giant

jlvm4
2012-09-19, 06:55 PM
Hi

Just wanted to start a thread for all the 'get better soon' thoughts for Rich. From the post in the news thread, it sounds like he'll be all right.

But we're all praying and pulling for him anyway. So get better soon.

Mutant Sheep
2012-09-19, 06:59 PM
Glass in the drawing hand is bad. Hope Mr. Burlew doesn't have any lasting issues from this, and now an awkward speedy recovery wish from me. *wishes*

Deuce
2012-09-19, 07:02 PM
Get your rest, listen to your doctor(s) and heal up well. We'll see if we can ring up a cleric, ideally one with the healing domain.

Take the time to heal right, I'll wait for the story from a healthy Giant.

Anxe
2012-09-19, 07:08 PM
Good lord! A personal story from Fearless Leader! Impossible! :smallbiggrin:

Get well soon Rich! We'll still be here when you get back.

CapnBludd
2012-09-19, 07:17 PM
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Chess435
2012-09-19, 07:21 PM
I have the urge to go and send him a card now....

Lossoth
2012-09-19, 07:40 PM
Registered just so I could come here and say Best Wishes For A Swift Recovery!:smallbiggrin:

Bulldog Psion
2012-09-19, 07:41 PM
Speedy recovery, Giant!

(And so there is a Mrs. Giant -- wow, that's unexpected! :smalleek: )

Thajocoth
2012-09-19, 07:53 PM
I hope he's in the care of a high level cleric.

Lycan 01
2012-09-19, 07:56 PM
Get well soon, dude!

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-19, 08:00 PM
Oh man, get better ASAP, Rich!

hayabusa
2012-09-19, 08:01 PM
Heal up well, Giant! Take as long as you need to recover.

DaOldeWolf
2012-09-19, 08:06 PM
I understand how does it feel not being able to do much, having being operated recently. Good luck and dont push yourself to hard.

Woodzyowl
2012-09-19, 08:08 PM
(And so there is a Mrs. Giant -- wow, that's unexpected! :smalleek: )

Now what's that supposed to mean? :smalltongue: Anyways, get better soon! I'd hate Tarquin to get away from this failure without having Elan make an illusion to cover his escape!

Absol197
2012-09-19, 08:08 PM
I'm echoing everybody else here:

I hope you feel better soon!

Don't push yourself though; we don't want you to try and do too much too soon and risk making anything worse! We can wait!

Helston
2012-09-19, 08:19 PM
Take all the time you need, Rich. Your health and wellbeing is far more important than the strip or the kickstarter work.

Hoping you a fully and speedy recovery (and for the need for painkillers to disappear pretty quickly too).

Now where's the heart of a virgin collected on his/her wedding night when you need it?

mattie_p
2012-09-19, 08:24 PM
All the best from me and my family to yours. I hope the Giant and family are doing well.

Whiffet
2012-09-19, 08:30 PM
Oh dear. Poor Rich! :smalleek: Sounds painful.

Glad to know the doctor says there will be a full recovery. I suppose not knowing how long it will take is stressful, though. May it be sooner rather than later!

Anyway, thank you Mrs. Giant for giving us this information. Make sure to knock some sense into him if he gets any ridiculous ideas like "resume work before recovering enough."

Take care of each other and get well soon.

TuggyNE
2012-09-19, 08:33 PM
Aww man, sorry to hear about the accident :smalleek: Just take it easy! No rush here. :elan:

Praying for quick recovery and no lasting side effects.

MonkeyBusiness
2012-09-19, 08:53 PM
Giant,

Sorry to hear about your injury. I imagine it's frustrating as well as painful: everyday life is much harder when one hand is out of commission. I hope you heal soon, and completely.

Thanks for a fun comic, for your insights on games, and for creating a place for this forum. You've made the world a little bit more fun and friendly, and that's a pretty amazing feat.

Take care.

Monkey

Anarion
2012-09-19, 09:04 PM
To the Giant,

My best wishes for a speedy recovery. You've created both a wonderful comic and an amazing place for all the gamers and nerds on the Internet to hang out, and I'm so glad that I found this place. For my part, I'll wait as long as necessary and I hope you do everything to make sure your health is your first priority.

-Anarion

Khaethrag
2012-09-19, 09:06 PM
Take care of yourself, Rich, and I'll add you to the prayers we say with my daughter every night.

And don't think of it as a maddening inconvenience; think of it as an opportunity to learn to use a mouse -- and everything else -- with your left hand. Or right hand if you are a lefty, like me.

Which reminds me -- my sister got me a card one time that said: "Everybody is born left-handed. You turn right-handed when you commit your first sin."

CelticDragonlor
2012-09-19, 09:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, get better soon! Your health is the most important thing! Sending positive thoughts your way!

gooddragon1
2012-09-19, 09:19 PM
Best possible wish would be from a 17th+ level wizard for:

Remove injuries and afflictions. A single wish can aid one creature per caster level, and all subjects are cured of the same kind of affliction. For example, you could heal all the damage you and your companions have taken, or remove all poison effects from everyone in the party, but not do both with the same wish. A wish can never restore the experience point loss from casting a spell or the level or Constitution loss from being raised from the dead.

Hope he gets well all the same though.

INoKnowNames
2012-09-19, 09:29 PM
Oh dang, I didn't know Giants could actually be hurt! Such awesome fortitude saves...

How many Aid Another Schenanigans can we pull off to assist with a Heal Check to speed up the recovery?

Seriously though, hope you feel better, Mr. The Giant!

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-19, 09:56 PM
Giant

First of all thank you for all the hard work and attention you have given us, your fans. We know and understand that no matter how awesome one's work is, health should be the first priority. While it will be difficult to wait, we (or at least I) will wait patiently for your recovery.

My best wishes and prayers:

Dusk Eclipse

Lix Lorn
2012-09-19, 10:15 PM
You give us a wonderful comic, and a forum best described as 'home'. All my wishes go to you.

niklinna
2012-09-19, 10:25 PM
Get well soon, Rich!

And toward that end, you may want to look into somatic-based techniques such as Feldenkrais or (Hanna) Somatics. They can be a great adjunct to traditional Physical Therapy.

Good luck,

Nik

The Warnock
2012-09-19, 10:46 PM
Ouch man. Glad you're okay, and get well soon. We'll be here when you get back.

-Long time reader, forum newbie.

Duke of Urrel
2012-09-19, 11:26 PM
Fervent wishes for effective painkillers and a swift recovery for you – from a new fan of your excellent work.

Blue1005
2012-09-20, 12:45 AM
I am sure you read his wife's post. So I thought this would be a good post for him to read when he can gt back to his computer, and see we appreciate and care for him.

Thanks for all you have done to enhance our joy RICH!:smallbiggrin:

Balain
2012-09-20, 12:57 AM
All the best Rich. Thank you for all you have given us. My thoughts of a speedy recovery are heading your way.

Bulldog Psion
2012-09-20, 01:07 AM
Now what's that supposed to mean? :smalltongue:

It means that people who are married usually mention it fairly often, and the Giant never mentioned being married. In fact, his oblique references to someone caring for him when he's ill made me think that he wasn't married, since otherwise, why not just say "my wife takes care of me when I'm ill" rather than the nonspecific "somebody". So I'm kind of startled that Mrs. Giant appeared after being totally invisible for many, many years.

To tell the truth, I've been thinking of the Giant as gay (in the non-perjorative sense) since I first started reading this comic many years ago. :smallsmile: I was about 100% certain of it until earlier today when I made my first post in this thread, in fact. Hence my momentary surprise.

factotum
2012-09-20, 01:37 AM
He's drawn a cartoon with his wife in it before--check the bottom left comic on this page:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/GuestStrips.html

Anyway, get well soon, Rich!

Feytalist
2012-09-20, 01:55 AM
Heh. The old "glass in the hand" excuse, is it?

Seriously though, that sounds really sucky. Here's to hoping for a full recovery.

honigmuffin
2012-09-20, 01:56 AM
You guys have been so supportive and patient all year and Rich is really frustrated that he's letting you down by making you wait even longer for the stories he's been trying to bring to you.

Giant, I really don't feel let down (and if I might venture a guess, I have an inkling that the majority of your fans thinks the same way). Don't stress yourself, accidents happen all the time – thank goodness your injury will heal well, and I just hope you feel much better soon. :smallfrown:

Now, if only we could get someone to Cure Serious Wounds or Wish the Giant. Anybody up for the task? Mrs. Giant, are you by any chance a Cleric or high-level Wizard?

Asta Kask
2012-09-20, 02:04 AM
Take all the time you need, Rich. Your health and wellbeing is far more important than the strip or the kickstarter work.

Hoping you a fully and speedy recovery (and for the need for painkillers to disappear pretty quickly too).

Totes +1 with bacon.

Raeden
2012-09-20, 02:14 AM
Get well Rich. And if you need a donor hand, you can have mine.

Mercenary Pen
2012-09-20, 02:39 AM
Take care of yourself, and don't start comicing again until the hand is fully healed, no matter how much you want to get back to the story.

turkishproverb
2012-09-20, 02:42 AM
Best wishes for the Giant.

Artanis
2012-09-20, 02:58 AM
Get well soon!

The Succubus
2012-09-20, 03:49 AM
You know, six weeks is a good length of time to re-watch the entire Babylon 5 series. You'd even have time for the movies and Crusade afterwards too...:smallbiggrin:

Get well soon Rich!

turkishproverb
2012-09-20, 03:56 AM
I like your thinking.

Trazoi
2012-09-20, 03:57 AM
Get well soon, Giant. Take as long as you need to make sure you have a full recovery.

Mono Vertigo
2012-09-20, 04:33 AM
Get well soon, Rich! Your health and the ability to do anything but comics again is more important than said comics, no matter how eagerly we're expecting them. :smallsmile:

Orzel
2012-09-20, 04:50 AM
Best wishes and great paindrugs for the Giant and his recovery.

Serpentine
2012-09-20, 05:28 AM
Well frick. When I first saw this thread I was all "ugh, someone's bringing up his health problems again despite him requesting that they're not*, this won't last long". Then I actually read the news post.
Ouch :smalleek: Here's hoping there's nothing but aesthetic scarring (because scars are cool)!

*Hypocrisy noted :smallwink:

Avaris
2012-09-20, 05:39 AM
Giant,

I hope everything heals up well and you're not in too much pain. I know how much it sucks being told '6 weeks to heal', as I'm currently working through the same time frame for a broken ankle. I'd say get well soon, but just get well is the important bit!

Avaris

Castaras
2012-09-20, 05:49 AM
Wishing you well, Giant. Get lots and lots of TLC from your mrs Giant. :smallsmile:

DigoDragon
2012-09-20, 06:46 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Big G!!

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-20, 07:21 AM
Best wishes and get well soon, from me and the wife.

Telonius
2012-09-20, 08:27 AM
Aww, man! Should have known the universe would target a Giant's reflex save. :smallfrown: Get well soon! I'd cast Regenerate on you if I could.

Bartok
2012-09-20, 08:39 AM
Thank you for letting us know Mrs. Giant. It is nice to know that Mr. Giant has you to share his journey with.

Here's hoping for a full recovery in however much time as it takes. Put me down as a reader who is content, and doesn't want any perception of obligation to cause someone to rush back into drawing. You hear that sir? :) I buy your stuff, and you owe me nothing! Heal first!

Saithis Bladewing
2012-09-20, 08:41 AM
Painful to hear and my commiserations go to the Giant and his family, may he recover swiftly and well.

Avilan the Grey
2012-09-20, 09:13 AM
Get well soon and good luck in general :smallsmile:

Bastian Weaver
2012-09-20, 09:57 AM
Glass cuts are nasty. Get well soon, Giant. Get well, and get back to the Playground.

Oh, and almost forgot this:

:elan: Heal, heal, heal, heal, heal that mighty drawing thumb!

Tyndmyr
2012-09-20, 09:58 AM
Rich, if you read this...take it easy. Don't be in a rush to get back to drawing. We'll last just fine for a while without comics, take all the time you need to let the hand heal properly, and best of luck with the healing process!

Ravens_cry
2012-09-20, 10:52 AM
Best hopes and prayers for your recovery.
Yours is the only webcomic I've ever bought anything from.
Thank you hour many hours of laughs, of tears, and of joy.
Thank you again,
Ravens Cry

noparlpf
2012-09-20, 11:22 AM
Best wishes for the Giant! Hope he gets well soon. Hand injuries are the absolute worst (besides maybe eye injuries), especially for an artist.

Maxios
2012-09-20, 11:25 AM
I've gotten my hand sliced open by glass before and I know how it feels. I hope you get better soon Giant :smallsmile:

lesser_minion
2012-09-20, 02:07 PM
I hope you get better soon, Giant.

pendell
2012-09-20, 02:17 PM
As I said in the thread in the OOTS forum, I also hope and pray you get well and recover fully. I've waited for more than 6 years to see how OOTS turns out, I can wait awhile longer. I sincerely hope you don't push yourself on our account. I'd rather have OOTS at a slower pace than to have you hurt yourself from over-pushing.

And my best regards to Mrs. Giant who is taking such good care of him!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

SEdmison
2012-09-20, 07:09 PM
Oh dang, I didn't know Giants could actually be hurt! Such awesome fortitude saves...

How many Aid Another Schenanigans can we pull off to assist with a Heal Check to speed up the recovery?

Seriously though, hope you feel better, Mr. The Giant!

What would that look like, exactly? I mean, once you get past the bard playing an inspiring ditty, what you're left with is multiple people trying to apply gauze or shove pills down the patient's throat at the same time. And I think this is definitely one place where a natural 1 would lead to pretty dire consequences. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk it.

SEdmison
2012-09-20, 07:11 PM
Giant, I really don't feel let down (and if I might venture a guess, I have an inkling that the majority of your fans thinks the same way). Don't stress yourself, accidents happen all the time – thank goodness your injury will heal well, and I just hope you feel much better soon. :smallfrown:

That's actually just what I came here to say. Well put, honigmuffin.

noparlpf
2012-09-20, 07:20 PM
What would that look like, exactly? I mean, once you get past the bard playing an inspiring ditty, what you're left with is multiple people trying to apply gauze or shove pills down the patient's throat at the same time. And I think this is definitely one place where a natural 1 would lead to pretty dire consequences. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk it.

A natural one doesn't apply to skill checks, it just counts as a one. So that person would just be standing by holding the bandages.
(Why don't we leave it to the doctors?)

JoshL
2012-09-20, 08:22 PM
Being physically unable to do your art is beyond terrible. My sympathies, and get well soon!

Antonok
2012-09-20, 09:30 PM

Nah, you have 1 person doing all the patient tending while the rest are walking around them chanting and smacking themselves in the head with a piece of wood.

Anyhow, get well Giant. I've had a similar mishap involving my foot and I know how much it sucks.

Melayl
2012-09-20, 09:42 PM
Definitely don't feel like you're letting us down, Rich. The only way you could do that would be to try to rush your recovery and not take the time that you need to heal fully. We'll still be here when you're back to "normal".

Rest well and heal well. We'll send you healing wishes and prayers.

spoonr79
2012-09-20, 09:44 PM
All the best wishes on your recovery! I know it will be a long, hard road. Six months ago, I severed the EPL & EPB tendons on my left hand. I had 3 months of intense physical therapy. The good news is I am now *nearly* back at 100% functionality. Just follow the doctor's orders & work at your physical therapy.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l78/spoonr79/IMG_0339_zpsf5d8dc9d.jpg

Raz_Fox
2012-09-20, 11:10 PM
Take care of yourself, sir. Best wishes, and thank you for everything you've given us thus far.

Boss_Smiley
2012-09-20, 11:25 PM
Best wishes Giant, hope you heal up quickly.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I think OotS is amazing and that I'll be waiting for its return, however long that might be (and I'd personally rather know that you took longer to heal fully than have a handful of extra pages).

Thank you for what you've given us and what I'm sure will come once this ordeal is behind you.

Silverraptor
2012-09-21, 12:40 AM
May your recovery be swift Giant!:smallsmile: Too bad you could get Durkon to cast Cure Serious Wounds on you.

SEdmison
2012-09-21, 12:52 AM
A natural one doesn't apply to skill checks, it just counts as a one. So that person would just be standing by holding the bandages.
(Why don't we leave it to the doctors?)

As a Dastardly DM, I reserve the right to make natural 1 have consequences whenever
a) it advances the story, or
b) it's hilarious.

I can tell you that if my players were trying desperately to team up on healing someone, that would definitely qualify for my category b.

All joking aside, I do agree with butting out and letting Rich take the time to heal. :smallbiggrin:

SEdmison
2012-09-21, 12:56 AM
Nah, you have 1 person doing all the patient tending while the rest are walking around them chanting and smacking themselves in the head with a piece of wood.

"Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem."

*thwack!*

Hopefully in this case we don't need to sing a full-on dirge for Giant! :smalleek:

Pisha
2012-09-21, 02:32 AM
As so many have said already...

I know exactly how frustrating it is to have sudden physical limitations prevent you from doing something you both enjoy and feel obligated to do. But. Your fans love you, not just for the entertainment you provide, but as a person. Believe me, your health and well-being are far more important than the comic (even though, yeah, we love the comic!) Please take care of yourself, take the time to heal, and don't get stressed - it doesn't help. :-)

In the meantime, know that we're sending good thoughts and positive energy your way. And if you need anything more, please ask - the power of the internet is vast, do not fear to harness it!

Mercenary Pen
2012-09-21, 09:21 AM
May your recovery be swift Giant!:smallsmile: Too bad you could get Durkon to cast Cure Serious Wounds on you.

Surely you mean too bad he couldn't get Durkon to cast cure serious wounds on him...

fabiob
2012-09-23, 07:04 PM
Hello, I registered only to wish the best for the Giant, hope your hand heals soon! Rich you're a genius! OotS is so great! Too bad I'm unemployed, otherwise I'd have contributed to the kickstarter project...

Best regards from Italy!

Triscuitable
2012-09-23, 11:46 PM
I may not read OOTS (I know, heathen, right?), but I'll be damned if your website hasn't made me some great friends. Thanks a bunch, Rich. Get well soon.

furioustjr
2012-09-24, 12:47 AM
I hope you're healing up well. Make sure to get plenty of rest so you'll regain more HP. We all want you up to full as soon as possible.

Thrawn4
2012-09-24, 07:25 AM
Take your time to get well again, Giant! If it was necessary I would wait six years to read the best online comic again.

crombrodin
2012-09-24, 08:37 PM
Just signed up for an account to say that I love Rich's comic and I wish him all the best.

Cheers, dude, and enjoy the break from drawing!

al'raith
2012-09-24, 08:49 PM
Get well soon Giant! We're all rooting for ya!

Riverdance
2012-09-25, 02:46 PM
Get well soon Giant! I hope you feel better soon!

Diva De
2012-09-25, 03:14 PM
Dear Rich (aka the Giant),

Feel better. And don't worry about us. We won't break up with you. Honest. Especially since I just put over $200 into your kickstarter. Consider me steadfast.

All teh lubs,
Diva De

darkerone
2012-09-27, 07:12 AM
I´ve been reading OotS for many years now, but never got around to joining in on the conversation. But now that our fearless guide has been injured, I had to take this (very modest) action:

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: GET WELL SOON!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2012-09-27, 07:17 AM

Surely you mean too bad he couldn't get Durkon to cast cure serious wounds on him...

No. I think Silverraptor knows exactly what he means. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0007.html)

Arahigihs
2012-09-27, 07:22 PM
I've been reading your stuff for several years now and it took your getting hurt for me to register and join the forum. Get well soon but don't rush back so fast you can't heal properly. Where's a really good healing spell when you need one?

SatyreIkon
2012-09-28, 01:56 AM
Dear Giant, no worries! You'll be fine soon. Take your time to relax and gather up some energies and be back as great as always when you're all healed up. We'll just stick around here. All the best for you and your loved ones :smallwink:

WampaX
2012-09-28, 03:59 PM
Is there a card to sign?
Is this the card?

I will sign it thusly, as I did elsewhere.

Its tough losing an appendage.
I should know.
Best wishes and heal well.
WampaX

The Second
2012-09-28, 05:02 PM
Get well soon, I'll be waiting patiently for your triumphant return.

Skippy
2012-09-29, 10:37 AM
Logged on after a long time of inactivity (though I've been following the comic closely) just to say "Get well soon, Giant!" just like everybody else.

You just relax and heal, man. We'll be here, biding our time and hoping that you'll be good as new when you come back! :smallbiggrin:

alchemistmason
2012-09-29, 06:53 PM
Get well from myself and several of our friends. We will patiently wait for a proper recovery. Don't rush it, and risk not being able to continue even longer. We love OotS, and am eager for your next release!

Belkar RULES!!!

Regards,
Gang in Salem, OR

Thomas0Comer
2012-09-30, 11:14 AM
Yaaay for the internet! Get well soon, feel better, take your time, etc.

One part of my mind thought for a moment "He can probably draw it with his left hand, it doesn't look that hard." Then the rest of my mind dragged that part into the back alley and beat it until it stopped moving. Even if he could make something that looked acceptable, he should be resting anyway.

SarahV
2012-10-01, 12:21 PM
Hey folks - the "F5 Club" over in the kickstarter comments section had an idea to put together a sort of digital get-well card for Rich. I volunteered to be the point of contact for collecting "signatures." If you'd like to sign the card, PM me (or e-mail [email protected]) with an image that you'd like to put in (I'd suggest some get-well wishes and a signature, but you could be creative and send a pic of yourself holding a sign or a sketch or whatever you want as long as it's vaguely appropriate to a get-well card). If you're not tech-savvy and don't know how to make an image or send a photo, you can just tell me what words to write in for you and I'll type them into the card on your behalf.

The more people we get, the more fun it will be for him to read, so please participate! :smallbiggrin:

grimbold
2012-10-01, 02:17 PM
aww man
i just found out about this

giant you HAVE to get better, you're my favorite artist EVER and anyway, i need more belkar!

get well soon
grimmy:smallbiggrin:

Giralin
2012-10-01, 03:47 PM
I got my had caught in a wire conveyer bet when I was working at The Ganong Chocolate Factory, so I know what it's like to loose the use of a hand, so I understand what you are going through, and hope you get better soon

fabiob
2012-10-01, 09:27 PM
Best regards to Mrs. Giant too! And thanks for what you are doing for us! =)

Libertad
2012-10-02, 08:09 PM
Sending good vibes your way, Rich Burlew!

nedz
2012-10-06, 08:40 PM
Break a leg
(which is a way of saying good luck, in case anyone doesn't know this phrase)

I hope you recover soon.
It must be very frustrating not being able to do what you love doing.

Riverdance
2012-10-08, 09:24 PM
I said it already but it's worth saying again: Get well soon Giant. Injuries are a bummer and I hope you aren't feeling too cruddy. We all miss you. :smallfrown:

jandarsun8
2012-10-09, 11:35 PM
Greetings everyone,
I've been reading this comic (at work mostly) for a couple of years now and after reading what Rich has been going thru, I figured I'd register and post my first post here only to wish him a quick and full recovery of his hand!

Thank you for the great comic and hopefully everything will come out just fine.

Thank you,

Jand.

toxiceye
2012-10-10, 11:14 AM
Long time troller, first time login-er. Just wanted to say that if Capt. GITP is stressing on releasing material for those of us who aren't regulars, he should stop immediately. Everyone can see the pic of the mangled paw on the front page, so they know what's up, and trying any funny business will just make healing proper take that much longer. Time to sit back with that stack of (insert favorite show here) DVDs lying around.

Ice cream. I'm told ice cream helps these kinda things.