PDA

View Full Version : Giant fun time

Azoth
2012-09-19, 07:04 PM
Hey all. I have fallen in love with the idea of playing a character that looks like a big hulkg behemoth, and race says he should be, but is actually incredibly intelligent. Aside the typical fun of the looks on people's faces I think it would be a blast to play. I already know the race I want to use, but am having a hard time with a build to put it to use in mele that isn't a gish or caster. I am turning to the playground for some help.

The race I am set on is an Arctic Primordial Half Giant. Racial mods are -2 STR +2 con +4 int +2cha +1LA. I already know my level one and three feats will be eaten for Educated and Knowledge Devotion. Aside that I have no idea where to go.

I really want this char to be competent at Mele combat, but prefer to go the route of civilized conversation and peace. That way he can attempt the talking thing first...then smash a face in when it doesn't work.

theUnearther
2012-09-19, 07:18 PM
First, are you open to Tome of Battle?
It is far better than "normal" melee, and I believe a swordsage could get you the "fighting through smarts" that you seem to be going to.
But of course, you'd be perfectly justified in considering it a kind of "casting".

If not, your options get far more boring in my opinion. I think knowledge devotion plays well with multiple attacks, no? If it does, you may want a way to get a lot of them. Totemist is said to be good for that but I haven't actually read it. Even some two-weapon fighting may benefit you here though.
And once you have a high number of attacks, you'll want a) a way to move and keep them, and b) things that happen on each.
For the first the most obvious choice is pounce, but since you're getting a devotion already you may prefer travel devotion. Or both obviously.
For the second the most obvious choice is probably sneak attack, but there is also improved trip/grab/etc.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-19, 07:26 PM
First, are you open to Tome of Battle?
It is far better than "normal" melee, and I believe a swordsage could get you the "fighting through smarts" that you seem to be going to.
But of course, you'd be perfectly justified in considering it a kind of "casting".

Swordsage has more of an emphasis on Wisdom than Intelligence. Warblades are the ones with a secondary emphasis on Intelligence.

I'd definitely suggest Swashbuckler 3 to this build, if for the only reason of literally being able to fight with your smarts (Intelligence bonus to damage).

Randomguy
2012-09-19, 07:55 PM
You could try a factotum. They're all about intelligence, and can be decent in melee with things like Alter self, Iajitsu Focus, Sneak attack (via inspiration points) and Improved Trip.

Azoth
2012-09-19, 10:29 PM
The main problem I have with Swashbuckler to 3 is that its Int to damage ability only applies to light or finessable weapons. There are only 2 TH weapons that come to mind that are finessable and both are exotic so that eats either a feat or a +1 weapon enchantment for me to use them.

I don't really see the group I am playing in being high op, but without a fighter or cloistered cleric dip I will be possibly using 3 of my 7 feats just to conceptually function. That leaves too fet feats left to really come online with any mele power until late game if at all.

Warblade could help compensate for that slightly with maneuver useage. Mainly if I focus on Iron Heart and White Raven with a splattering of diamond mind, but even then by turn 3-4 I am gonna be thumb twiddling.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-19, 10:36 PM
You can just full attack to recover your maneuvers and normally by round 4 (IME) the battle is all but finished.

Malroth
2012-09-19, 10:47 PM
How about a Beguiler? NOBODY would suspect the slow looking Ice giant to actually be the evil mastermind controling the kingdom from the shadows.

Azoth
2012-09-19, 11:20 PM
I have never played a factorum and I don't like beguilers. I will look into factorum, but I have heard they are rather useless unless you burn the majority of your feats on Font of Inspiration. I get the feeling this build will already be incredibly feat starved already. So unless they come with alot of built in goodies to compensate for the investment...I am not too keen on using it.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-19, 11:38 PM
I have never played a factorum and I don't like beguilers. I will look into factorum, but I have heard they are rather useless unless you burn the majority of your feats on Font of Inspiration.

That's not really true. Font of inspiration is really good if you can take it a few times, but factotums don't really need it. Their shtick is that they can do a bit of everything. Check out the handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0).