PDA

View Full Version : [PF only] Magus Build - Suggestions

Eldonauran
2012-09-19, 07:46 PM
Greetings!

Looking for a little advise with my Magus character. Backstory: Traveling merchant/blacksmith dabbling in the arcane arts and hoping one day to fuse his love of combat and magic together in all things he does. Crafting magic items, you betcha. Loves his quarterstaff, has had it forever. A history of black magic lies in his past, witches in his ancestory.

Currently level 2 and I am using the Hexcrafter and Staff Magus archetypes. Character is going fight using a quarterstaff (in one/two hands), eventually trading up to a custom made mage staff (since he will eventually be able to treat the mage staff as a quarterstaff).

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 15
Int: 14
Wis: 11
Cha: 8

Feats chosen: Weapon Focus (Quarterstaff), Power Attack

Reasoning for power attack: Since a Staff Magus can use the weapon in one or two hands, it gives a damage boost during rounds that don't include spell combat.

Weapon Focus: Offset BAB loss from non-full bonus/pre-requisites for when character qualifies as fighter for feats (level 10+).

Since the above is set in stone, I would like anyone's advise for the following items:

Witch hexes to pick from (A fan of Flight and Water Lung)
Magus Arcanas to pick from (Wand Wielder is going to be one of them)
Choice feats to take (Craft Staff is going to be one)
Familiar? Yea or Nay? I'm considering one.
Prestige/Multiclass? Yea or Nay? Suggestions?

tl;dr: I want to have a magic blacksmith that uses Mage's staves as a weapon in combat and have a 'witchy' feel to him. How would you flavor him?

EDIT: Also! Which PF book goes into greatest details about Arcane Tattoos? I want them!

Arbane
2012-09-19, 11:29 PM
Slumber, Evil Eye (for -AC and saves) and Prehensile Hair (deliver touch attacks from 10'!) are potentially useful hexes.

Deathkeeper
2012-09-19, 11:32 PM
If you want a familiar, taking the IF feat and getting yourself a powered-up familiar can be pretty good. Imps have decent stats for UMD (for wand-spamming) and they also have SLAs. If you wait until level 8 you can get a telepathic one, although you have to be LN at best. There are other ones that can do just as good (or better), but in general go for ones that have decent Cha for UMD, SLAs, especially Invisibility.
For Arcanas, Familiar is one if you pick it. Arcane Accuracy is pretty good at low levels, and the free metamagics are nice at higher levels.
If you're going to be in melee, consider Lunge. You can use your spells/melee attacks but stay out of enemies' reach!
Also, if you're going to have a quarterstaff AND wands, maybe Quick Draw, since otherwise you're going to be spending a lot of time pulling out items, unless you get your familiar to do it and hand it to you(which is kind of a waste). That's one of the reasons Tieflings can be fun; they cal pull out rods and wands with their tails as swift actions.

Eldonauran
2012-09-20, 07:55 PM
Also, if you're going to have a quarterstaff AND wands, maybe Quick Draw, since otherwise you're going to be spending a lot of time pulling out items, unless you get your familiar to do it and hand it to you(which is kind of a waste). That's one of the reasons Tieflings can be fun; they cal pull out rods and wands with their tails as swift actions.

Well, Wand Wielder lets you activate wands AND mage staffs as the spell part of spell combat, so I won't need wands. They'll just be very useful.

I see the character wielding a magestaff and a wand in battle, only sheathing the wand if/when he wants to two-hand his weapon. A wand of 'shocking grasp' @ caster level 5 activated and then following up with a quarterstaff blow, every turn for each of 50 charges, will be quite effective without using up his spells per day.

Maybe, if the character took Prehensile Hair, he might be able to weild the wand and activate it, leaving both hands free to use the magestaff in a two-handed manner. Thoughts?