PDA

View Full Version : New World's Biggest Dog named

Antonok
2012-09-19, 10:53 PM
Zeus, the new worlds biggest dog, (http://photos.denverpost.com/2012/09/19/photos-zeus-the-worlds-tallest-dog/#name here) was crowned by the Guinness World Records on September 13, 2012. He managed to beat out the old record holder George (http://www.giantgeorge.com/) by an inch.

It states Zeus stands 44 inches high normally, and 7ft 4 inches when he stands on his hind legs, and eats an entire 30lb bag of dog food a day.

It kinda makes me want to form a group to stop these wayward wizards and their cross breeding experiments. :smallcool:

Coidzor
2012-09-19, 10:56 PM
Yesss... Soon. Soon Clifford will be a reality...

Logic
2012-09-20, 12:41 AM
And my fiancee wants a cross-breed of Boxer and Great Dane.

Science help us all...

Feytalist
2012-09-20, 01:09 AM
and eats an entire 30lb bag of dog food a day.

See, this is why I have cats.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-20, 01:27 AM
I adore big dogs. I had Danes as a kid, and putting Hercules, the younger of the two, was one of the hardest days of my life. He was an amazing dog. I adore my aging Bernese Mountain Dog, but there's just something about the giants...

I have plans to get two Danes once I have a place big enough, and they will be named Cù Sìth and Black Shug, after the barrow hounds of Ireland and Essex. And, of course, they will end up being called Cooshy and Shuggy.

Feytalist
2012-09-20, 01:45 AM
...and they will be named Cù Sìth and Black Shug...

I very nearly named one of my cats Cat Sìth, after the fairy cat of Irish myth. Fit the profile too: big black cat, white diamond-shaped spot on its chest.

Used to have like five Alsatians when I was a kid. Helps to live on a farm, heh. They weren't quite as big as this guy, though.

Maelstrom
2012-09-20, 02:31 AM
Love the big dogs myself, having had 2 English mastiffs and currently a Irish Wolfhound...

Zeus... eats an entire 30lb bag of dog food a day.

I'm calling BS here, though... I sincerely doubt that dog eats ~20% of his bodyweight every day. The biggest English Mastiff I had (weighing in at 85 kg) ate about 1kg of kibble per day and was supplemented by about a kilo of BARF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_feeding#Barf) every day at his max...

Adlan
2012-09-20, 10:12 AM
I have plans to get two Danes once I have a place big enough, and they will be named Cù Sìth and Black Shug, after the barrow hounds of Ireland and Essex. And, of course, they will end up being called Cooshy and Shuggy.

Black Shug surely sounds like a mispronunciation of Norfolks famous Hound, Black Shuck. (both originate from the Viking word for demon AFAIK).

I intend to have a Black Labradoodle and call it shuck.

Dr.Epic
2012-09-20, 07:19 PM
Yesss... Soon. Soon Clifford will be a reality...

Forget Clifford. Jake the Dog can stretch 10 time bigger than that red has-been.

Melayl
2012-09-21, 10:06 PM
I love big dogs. A few months ago we got a 1st generation Dane/Mastiff mix. She's 8 months old now and 100# already. :smallbiggrin:

I also doubt the 30# bag of food a day...

Antonok
2012-09-21, 10:55 PM
I also doubt the 30# bag of food a day...

I do too, thats just what the snippit under the picture said. They also have a german shepard so I'm guessing between the 2 they might go through a bag a day, but even then thats pushing it..

Jeff the Green
2012-09-22, 12:28 AM
Black Shug surely sounds like a mispronunciation of Norfolks famous Hound, Black Shuck. (both originate from the Viking word for demon AFAIK).

I think they're the same dog, but since it's folkloric the name changed over time.

I doubt the "bag of food a day" bit too. Like I said, I had Danes when I was little, and one of them was only a few inches shorter than Zeus. (My dad used to dance with him with his paws on my dad's shoulders. And my dad's 6'6".) they eat surprisingly little, since Danes are usually pretty mellow (read: couch potatoes) when they're not outside playing. Even with a German Shepard I have a hard time believing it, not with how lean Zeus is. Maybe per week, but even that's pushing it.

Mauve Shirt
2012-09-22, 12:31 AM
Oh my lord. That's not a dog, that's a small horse!
I love big dogs, and if I ever have a giant backyard I'll get one of the giant ones. I LOVE great danes, Irish wolfhounds, and Bernese mountain dogs. But I'll stick with moderately big dogs like Ridgebacks if I only have a moderately sized backyard.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-22, 01:11 AM
You don't really need a big backyard for a giant dog. Like I said, they're couch potatoes. Most of them prefer long walks to a big yard. And the dog park, if you're lucky enough to have one nearby.

That said, they're an enormous responsibility, even compared to other dogs. While they're mostly easy going and easily trained, you must train them well, because they can easily hurt somebody without meaning to. Their vet bills are more expensive too, and there may be more of them because they're prone to bone and joint problems as they get older. And they age faster, most often going before their tenth birthday. The love you get in that time is worth it, but you have to be ready for the work and the heartache.

Zaggab
2012-09-22, 09:23 AM
It's not 30 pounds a day, it's 30 pound per 2 weeks:

"Zeus weighs 155 pounds and eats a 30-pound bag of food every two weeks", linked page, second picture.

Still a lot.

Antonok
2012-09-22, 08:23 PM
It's not 30 pounds a day, it's 30 pound per 2 weeks:

"Zeus weighs 155 pounds and eats a 30-pound bag of food every two weeks", linked page, second picture.

Still a lot.

Hmm, missed that then. I was only going by what the paragraph under the first picture said.