PDA

View Full Version : Would you wear this ring?

Spuddles
2012-09-19, 11:57 PM
It's a ring of 3 wishes, and doubles your 4th level spell slots. However, whenever the PLAYER wearing the ring ever says "I wish..." around the table, his wish is granted. Or twisted and granted.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-20, 12:06 AM
Yes, if just for the bizarre role-playing potential.

Flickerdart
2012-09-20, 12:09 AM
Sure. I don't think anyone says "I wish" very much in contexts that actually relate to the game in some way. "I wish the pizza would get here already", maybe, to sic calzone golems on the PCs.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-20, 12:17 AM
Nah, too metagame-y for me.

Medic!
2012-09-20, 12:51 AM
Actually I've done that to players before myself when they would gear out with a ring of wishes and refuse to dampen down the distraction chatter. It's all fun and games until "Man I wish this fight would hurry up...OH GOD WHY ARE THEY ALL HASTED NOW?"

Knaight
2012-09-20, 12:55 AM
I probably would. I don't really use "I wish" at all, it's simply not part of my standard lexicon as a whole host of synonyms take priority for conveying the meaning "I wish" conveys, while said meaning is one I don't convey with any frequency anyways.

crimsonqueen
2012-09-20, 01:35 AM
Hehehe I love this idea :) I would so wear it, and would so make it a random treasure to mess with players XD

TuggyNE
2012-09-20, 02:53 AM
No (http://goblinscomic.com/11092009/), I would not. :smallyuk:

Lonely Tylenol
2012-09-20, 02:55 AM
Oh, Spuddles, I thought you'd never ask! <3

*.*.*.*
2012-09-20, 03:37 AM
{Scrubbed}

Krazzman
2012-09-20, 04:44 AM
Yes cause you rarely say "I wish" in Germany :D

Jokes aside if I'm a caster yes I would, If this would work for initiators also: yes I would.

lsfreak
2012-09-20, 05:11 AM
Nah, too metagame-y for me.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Screwing over the characters for random out-of-character banter is not fun.

Morithias
2012-09-20, 05:19 AM
Wait, wait, wait. "Ring of three wishes" or "Ring of infinite wishes" cause either one will fail.

If it only have 3 wishes, just say "I wish for 25000 gold pieces" 3 times.

If you have infinite wishes....well you're not thinking very hard if you can't break that.

only1doug
2012-09-20, 06:37 AM
Wait, wait, wait. "Ring of three wishes" or "Ring of infinite wishes" cause either one will fail.

If it only have 3 wishes, just say "I wish for 25000 gold pieces" 3 times.

If you have infinite wishes....well you're not thinking very hard if you can't break that.

25000Gp fall on your characters head from 200', 1 at a time.

Gold Falls, you die.

Morithias
2012-09-20, 06:45 AM

Gold Falls, you die.

You can't do that. There are a set of wishes you can safely make with a ring of 3 wishes, out lined right in the spell.

"Create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value."

Is the effect I am using.

Twisting that wish is the DM literally saying "I do not care what the rulebook says, I just want to screw you over. I am a killer DM."

molten_dragon
2012-09-20, 06:47 AM
It's a ring of 3 wishes, and doubles your 4th level spell slots. However, whenever the PLAYER wearing the ring ever says "I wish..." around the table, his wish is granted. Or twisted and granted.

No, but not because of the metagamey-ness of it. I don't mess with wishes when the DM is the type to twist them in order to screw you over. I don't want to have to hire a lawyer to write my wishes out for me, that takes all the fun out of it.

Andreaz
2012-09-20, 06:53 AM
I'd get it, and here's why: The translation to wish, in my language, is much more commonly used to express "Lust".

only1doug
2012-09-20, 06:57 AM
You can't do that. There are a set of wishes you can safely make with a ring of 3 wishes, out lined right in the spell.

"Create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value."

Is the effect I am using.

Twisting that wish is the DM literally saying "I do not care what the rulebook says, I just want to screw you over. I am a killer DM."

nope, you did not wish for an item worth 25000 gp, you wished for 25000 gp.
People talk about RAW and RAI, RAI a ring of 3 wishes should probably allow you to safely have the 25000gp, this isn't a ring of 3 wishes, its working on the players wishes not the PCs.

I see this item as being a cursed wishing ring, it only responds to subconsious wishes and attempting to abuse it is dangerous.

would I wear it, with an evil GM? yes, why not, it makes the game interesting and makes you very concious of what you say.

Morithias
2012-09-20, 08:06 AM
nope, you did not wish for an item worth 25000 gp, you wished for 25000 gp.
People talk about RAW and RAI, RAI a ring of 3 wishes should probably allow you to safely have the 25000gp, this isn't a ring of 3 wishes, its working on the players wishes not the PCs.

I see this item as being a cursed wishing ring, it only responds to subconsious wishes and attempting to abuse it is dangerous.

would I wear it, with an evil GM? yes, why not, it makes the game interesting and makes you very concious of what you say.

Fine. "I wish for a gold bar big enough to be worth 25000 gold pieces."

Geeze, this is why I play mundane characters. At least the DM can't screw your action of "I hit the bad guy with my sword" without blatantly cheating and damning himself to bad DM Baator.

Doxkid
2012-09-20, 08:21 AM
Fine. "I wish for a gold bar big enough to be worth 25000 gold pieces."

Geeze, this is why I play mundane characters. At least the DM can't screw your action of "I hit the bad guy with my sword" without blatantly cheating and damning himself to bad DM Baator.

500 pound bar of gold falls, you still die.
-
Wish for it in your hands?
A 500 pound bar of gold is fused with your hands.

-On that table?
The table is teleported to where ever the bar of gold appears. Some commoner is quite happy.

-On the ground at my side? (Ok, now things are getting hard.)
It is now stuck on the ground, and slides to remain directly next to you for all of eternity.

If you've mastered whatever language you are speaking, you can pervert just about any wish. Sure, some specific wishes are suppose to be 'safe', but Wishes coming from a malevolent being or cursed item probably don't care about that tidbit.

Terazul
2012-09-20, 08:28 AM
Looks like it's time for the "if it can be twisted, it always is" discussion again.

And nah, I probably wouldn't wear one.

ahenobarbi
2012-09-20, 08:46 AM
I'd think a bit, and wear it for 3 rounds. This is to meta game-y and really watching out for what I say OOC is not in line with the kind of fun I have on d&d sessions.

I also wouldn't like if DM screwed me over my wish without a proper warning. For example i I encountered a trapped genie and negotiated (IC) with it to get wish for freedom and was screwed over (because I annoyed the genie in the process) I (player) would be fine with that. But if I found a wish-granting ring and was screwed by it I'd have a talk with DM.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-20, 08:51 AM
Nah, I don't much care for jewelry. I wouldn't even wear my wedding ring if it didn't make the wife happy.

I doubt I'd have my character wear such a ring either. I've seen the story of the monkey's paw.

The only "safe" wish is the one you payed 5000xp for. If even that one gets twisted, smack your DM with a PHB.

Doxkid
2012-09-20, 09:06 AM
I'd think a bit, and wear it for 3 rounds. This is to meta game-y and really watching out for what I say OOC is not in line with the kind of fun I have on d&d sessions.

I also wouldn't like if DM screwed me over my wish without a proper warning. For example i I encountered a trapped genie and negotiated (IC) with it to get wish for freedom and was screwed over (because I annoyed the genie in the process) I (player) would be fine with that. But if I found a wish-granting ring and was screwed by it I'd have a talk with DM.

That kind of looks reversed to me. if I found a trapped genie and released it, I would expect a normal wish unless I've also done terrible things to said genie. If I found a ring of Wishes, I would calmly put on my brown pants and hope we can sell it quick. Especially if it still had all of its charges.

There are only two reasons for creating a Ring of Wishes:
*You or someone you are connected to has a good use for it
*Or you are a powerful being that wants to terrorize mortals.

One is standard; like casting the spell yourself. I'd expect an Archmage or King or BBEG or someone important to make one and that person will probably get a use or two out of it before they are robbed/killed and it is taken away.
-
The other is a Necklace of Strangulation that actually makes choking yourself seem like a good plan over the course of 5 or 10 years. You aren't suicidal either; it has whispered to you, stopped you from feeling pressure on your neck and driven you to test how far the resistance goes (all the while suppressing any negative effects like loss of consciousness or pain).

One day you're at a celebration and yell out "Check out this party trick!" and...well, you can all see where that would go.
-----
Wish when cast for one's self should absolutely have safe options. It should even have a reliable method of reaching X amount farther, if you're a high enough power mage.

Twisting or breaking Wishes should (in my opinion) really come into play when you reach too far, use it too much or get someone or something else to cast it for you.

Morithias
2012-09-20, 09:18 AM
500 pound bar of gold falls, you still die.
-
Wish for it in your hands?
A 500 pound bar of gold is fused with your hands.

-On that table?
The table is teleported to where ever the bar of gold appears. Some commoner is quite happy.

It is now stuck on the ground, and slides to remain directly next to you for all of eternity.

If you've mastered whatever language you are speaking, you can pervert just about any wish. Sure, some specific wishes are suppose to be 'safe', but Wishes coming from a malevolent being or cursed item probably don't care about that tidbit.

"I wish that this ring would obey the spirit, letter, and intent of any wishes made including this one by using the ring."

Sure that would get me a DMG to the face, but if the DM is going to be such a hardass like that and I'm not allowed to quit, I'm going to play right back, and you better pray you never play in a game I'm Dming, or I will use the most obscure rules, powers and spells to screw you and only you over as revenge.

Yes it's petty, but so is any DM who does crap like that.

Era_Scarecrow
2012-09-20, 09:22 AM
I'd wear it. I rarely ever use 'I wish' in any form of conversation during gameplay.

Although having pizza instantly delivered/free seems like a nice perk.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-20, 09:25 AM
"I wish that this ring would obey the spirit, letter, and intent of any wishes made including this one by using the ring."

Sure that would get me a DMG to the face, but if the DM is going to be such a hardass like that and I'm not allowed to quit, I'm going to play right back, and you better pray you never play in a game I'm Dming, or I will use the most obscure rules, powers and spells to screw you and only you over as revenge.

Yes it's petty, but so is any DM who does crap like that.

You must now submit your wishes to the ring in writing and have a spirit creature (see the sidebar in CD) second any wishes you make, also in writing. If these terms are fulfilled you get the wish you intended.

We're talking about an obviously cursed item here. If you're fool enough to use it, you deserve what you get.

Morithias
2012-09-20, 09:29 AM
You must now submit your wishes to the ring in writing and have a spirit creature (see the sidebar in CD) second any wishes you make, also in writing. If these terms are fulfilled you get the wish you intended.

We're talking about an obviously cursed item here. If you're fool enough to use it, you deserve what you get.

"It's a ring of 3 wishes, and doubles your 4th level spell slots. However, whenever the PLAYER wearing the ring ever says "I wish..." around the table, his wish is granted. Or twisted and granted."

I don't see anything saying it's cursed, just that it has a very unoriginal command word. "his wish is granted, OR twisted and granted." Implies that the original rules of the wish spell are still in play.

Really should do this sometime when a group I'm dming faces the tarrasque. "I wish it were dead!"

Me: "It dies...however since you didn't say for how long it's regeneration reactivates and it rises from the grave ready to eat you again after 6 seconds."

Be a good way to get everyone mad at you to say the least.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-20, 09:30 AM

Yes. I'd even wear it in real life, and I don't even HAVE fourth level spell slots.

Era_Scarecrow
2012-09-20, 09:32 AM
Really should do this sometime when a group I'm dming faces the tarrasque. "I wish it were dead!"

Me: "It dies...however since you didn't say for how long it's regeneration reactivates and it rises from the grave ready to eat you again after 6 seconds."

Undead are technically dead correct? (Well they aren't alive afterall). Instant lich! (Or ghost, or something equally mean..)

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-20, 09:41 AM
"It's a ring of 3 wishes, and doubles your 4th level spell slots. However, whenever the PLAYER wearing the ring ever says "I wish..." around the table, his wish is granted. Or twisted and granted."

I don't see anything saying it's cursed, just that it has a very unoriginal command word. "his wish is granted, OR twisted and granted." Implies that the original rules of the wish spell are still in play.

I suppose you're right. The OP never did say it was a cursed ring.

The possibility of a cursed ring is more than enough reason to have the blasted thing properly analyzed before wearing though. Such analysis should yield the (overly generic) command word, making accidental activation a non-issue.

What did you think of my twist to your wish, btw?

Psyren
2012-09-20, 09:42 AM
I'd immediately wish for the ability score boosts, then toss the burned out ring and move on with life.

Arbane
2012-09-20, 12:25 PM
I'd immediately wish for the ability score boosts, then toss the burned out ring and move on with life.

Jut be careful how you word them. I heard a story of a character who wished to be "As strong as [the group's fighter]."

So, OF COURSE, the wish lowered the fighter's strength. :smallfurious:

Spuddles
2012-09-20, 12:40 PM
This spring, my group found a ring of three wishes (loot in gygax modules is ridiculous). We are starting play again, and I haven't fleshed out/converted the loot yet. I really want to have some old school fun with this ring, but the old school gamer has old school smarts and keeps that ring in a pouch. Need to tempt his old wizardy fingers.

They're also the type to never use things, so will hoard that ring forever. Which means there will eventually be an OOC "I wish...." :smallfurious:

My group is into this kind of stuff, though.

Jut be careful how you word them. I heard a story of a character who wished to be "As strong as [the group's fighter]."

That's brutal.

Psyren
2012-09-20, 12:46 PM

Unless he was 1 Str behind the Fighter, then that was actually beyond the power of his Wish and they're lucky that's all that happened.

It could also have done partial fulfillment - Extended Bull's Strength, since the person who made your wish didn't specify how long his strength should last. But again, if the gulf in their strength was wide enough that no single spell could bridge the gap, they were inviting DM screw with a Wish like that and deserve what happened to them.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-20, 01:01 PM
True, but screwing with another player for something one player did, that's something that should be done very rarely, if at all.

Coidzor
2012-09-20, 02:31 PM

Well, that seems problematic, since this doesn't seem to expend any wishes in game. Though I suppose the rest of the group would quickly find some way to subvert his requests for people to pass him food.

And I'm not even sure what you'd do about the player wishing for the DM to stop being such a ponce about things.

Unless he was 1 Str behind the Fighter, then that was actually beyond the power of his Wish and they're lucky that's all that happened.

It could also have done partial fulfillment - Extended Bull's Strength, since the person who made your wish didn't specify how long his strength should last. But again, if the gulf in their strength was wide enough that no single spell could bridge the gap, they were inviting DM screw with a Wish like that and deserve what happened to them.

:smallconfused: Nothing happened to them. It happened to somebody else who wasn't party to the wish in the first place.

Crasical
2012-09-20, 03:06 PM
None of my characters even -have- fourth level spell slots, so I can't think of an in-game reason for them to put the ring on.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-20, 03:12 PM
None of my characters even -have- fourth level spell slots, so I can't think of an in-game reason for them to put the ring on.

Do all your chars hate free wishes?

Ravenica
2012-09-20, 03:35 PM
The party almost always shares the consequences when someone does something stupid. Wishing shouldn't be any different :smalltongue:

MukkTB
2012-09-20, 03:50 PM
Any smart player would use the wishes quickly and then keep the ring around for extra spells.

If the DM made them monkey paw wishes then that player would have good reason to ask why the ring wasn't identified as cursed when they identified it.

Coidzor
2012-09-20, 06:05 PM
Do all your chars hate free wishes?

The wishes don't affect the game unless the player states something that affects the game. Unless I'm forgetting how to use "affect" again.

Anyway, it's useless to the character and useless to the player in-game except for when he decides to use it in ways like "I wish that the riddle-giver would repeat that riddle a bit more slowly so I can take notes."

As I said earlier, I can only see it being useful for potentially getting out of his share of the [pizza] once, and that's not even metagaming, that's metagaminggroup.

Dimers
2012-09-20, 07:15 PM
Yes. I'd even wear it in real life, and I don't even HAVE fourth level spell slots.

Jeez, Tyndmyr! What the hell kind of unoptimized build are you?!

Oh, right, probably StP erudite. Doesn't have spell slots.

theUnearther
2012-09-20, 08:13 PM

If you cannot find a way to abuse a 500 pound chunk of a toxic metal that follows you around without fail, at no (apparent) effort on your part, you are not trying.

Spuddles
2012-09-20, 08:55 PM
Any smart player would use the wishes quickly and then keep the ring around for extra spells.

If the DM made them monkey paw wishes then that player would have good reason to ask why the ring wasn't identified as cursed when they identified it.

Because someone failed their caster level check.

If you cannot find a way to abuse a 500 pound chunk of a toxic metal that follows you around without fail, at no (apparent) effort on your part, you are not trying.

Since when is gold toxic?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-20, 09:00 PM
Because someone failed their caster level check.

Since when is gold toxic?

Gold is toxic when ingested. It's otherwise inert.

Spuddles
2012-09-20, 09:07 PM
Gold is toxic when ingested. It's otherwise inert.

As a relatively inert and stable element, metallic gold is harmless when ingested. Gold salts are toxic, but wishes for gold cyanide?

I suppose if your stomach also produced sulphuric acid in addition to hydrochloric, ingested gold would become toxic.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-09-20, 09:40 PM

Gold Falls, you die.

So after my friend gathers up the gold and resurrects me we split the gold and we're both up 7,500gp.

Erik Vale
2012-09-20, 09:43 PM
I would wear it.
But make it unlimited unintentional wishes. So wishes made by the character non deliberately (give it a high sense motive) and OOC (that are feasible, like I wish for a bigger challange, all these goblins are wossy), it is granted. When the character wishes for a mug or pure gold just cause, its a no.

TuggyNE
2012-09-21, 02:03 AM
I would wear it.
But make it unlimited unintentional wishes. So wishes made by the character non deliberately (give it a high sense motive) and OOC (that are feasible, like I wish for a bigger challange, all these goblins are wossy), it is granted. When the character wishes for a mug or pure gold just cause, its a no.

So an intelligent NE artifact with the goal of "making people's lives miserable through bad wishes"? Sounds ... peachy.

Medic!
2012-09-21, 02:06 AM
I always loved the Talisman of Zagy and the unintentional wish undertones that always scream out at me when I read the entry (obviously not as was intended or written, but the implication speaks to me)

only1doug
2012-09-21, 02:22 AM
So an intelligent NE artifact with the goal of "making people's lives miserable through bad wishes"? Sounds ... peachy.

not NE, CN... "make peoples lives more interesting through granting trivial wishes that float through their minds"

Acanous
2012-09-21, 02:28 AM
C/N intelligent item with Telepathy that grants wishes based on what it thinks would be interesting. Maybe 1/month or something. That could be cool.

only1doug
2012-09-21, 02:37 AM
C/N intelligent item with Telepathy that grants wishes based on what it thinks would be interesting. Maybe 1/month or something. That could be cool.

"So Jim, what are you thinking now?"

"right now? I'm thinking... "Oh god, it's not that time of the month again is it?""

Erik Vale
2012-09-21, 05:44 AM
"So Jim, what are you thinking now?"

"right now? I'm thinking... "Oh god, it's not that time of the month again is it?""

BWAHAHAHAH...

That was good. Would'a been better if it was a girls name though.

only1doug
2012-09-21, 06:19 AM
BWAHAHAHAH...

That was good. Would'a been better if it was a girls name though.

Women know when its that time of the month, men just have to guess whether it is or not...

Garwain
2012-09-21, 06:58 AM
Women know when its that time of the month, men just have to guess whether it is or not...
Haha.... No. So nonono. Unless she's cranky ALL the time, you just know when it's that time of the month.

I wish that 'that time of the month' wouldn't affect women that much.

Aw... I guess I'm not wearing said ring.

panaikhan
2012-09-21, 07:36 AM
My first (and longest-running) DM was a past master at twisting wishes.
So much so, the party took to writing down what they would wish for and passing it between each other for verification before anyone spoke aloud.

One example I remember:
"I wish to be the strongest person from my village"
"Ok. nothing seems to happen. When you return to your village a week later, you discover that a mysterious plague has wiped out a third of it's population"

Killer Angel
2012-09-21, 07:43 AM

where do I sign for this?

Tyndmyr
2012-09-21, 08:42 AM
Jeez, Tyndmyr! What the hell kind of unoptimized build are you?!

Oh, right, probably StP erudite. Doesn't have spell slots.

Factotum! You know how many skill points I have? ALL of them! But the precious 4th level slots are so very slow.

Psyren
2012-09-21, 11:08 AM
So after my friend gathers up the gold and resurrects me we split the gold and we're both up 7,500gp.

Hell, depending on the damage you might be up 10k each instead.