PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Malfeas OOC

Pages : [1] 2

horus42
2012-09-20, 11:00 AM
And so, here's a place to discuss all of our Out of Character stuff. I ask that we use the first few posts to put up our characters sheets, but other than that, use this thread for anything you want!

EDIT: Added in the Aliens

Skraelings
Hailing from the frigid northern continent of Vinland on the planet Michilimackinac, the Skraelings are, essentially, a race of sentient, humanoid Polar Bears. Despite living in a such a technologically advanced society that most would see as "having outgrown such silly superstitions", the Skraelings are, as a whole, deeply religious, and even polytheistic. They believe that the only way one can enter the afterlife is to die gloriously in battle. They are a proud race who have, from time immemorial, vied for control of their homeworld with another sentient species. This has crafted them into a race of warriors, who live in tribes based on family bonds. (Basically, their culture is based on a mash-up of Nordic and Native American traditions.)
Mutation Package: Fur, Fangs, Large

Suchos
Originating on the balmy equatorial continent of Iteru on the planet Michilimackinac, the Suchos are a race of sentient, humanoid Crocodiles. The Suchos tend to live near water, and have vied for control of their homeworld and its colonies with the Skraelings for thousands of years. This has bred bitter resentment between the two species. Suchos are a very united race, and are very loyal to the Central Empire. They used to be very religious, but after a catastrophic drought that nearly wiped out their species, they came to believe that their God had died. (Their culture is sort of a mix of ancient Egyptian and modern Arabic)
Mutation Package: Scales, Fangs, Large, Tail

Tavar
The Tavar are a small race, bearing resemblance to bipedal Wolverines, who come from the planet Carna. They're fierce, and despise having their size commented on. The Tavar are stubborn, but they are also very cunning. Most people in the Galaxy have a fairly positive view of the Tavar, because they have a reputation for finding unorthodox solutions to even the most serious problems. Most Tavar think that being part of The Empire is the greatest thing that ever happened to their species, and are fiercely loyal to it.
Mutation Package: Small, Fur, Claws

Czerin
The Czerin closely resemble humans, but for a few minor differences. They have pointed ears, and their pupils are vertical slits. The Czerin are descended from a race of pack hunters on the planet Vostok. They value their family above all else, and tend to be resentful of The Empire for conquering them. Czerin are often prized as assassins, because their bite is fatally venomous to most species.
Mutation Package: Toxin, Enhanced Sight

Tharks
The Tharks are a large race of green-skinned humanoids originating on the planet Barsoom. They live in large tribes, who are constantly at war with each other. The Empire lets them have their conflicts, rather than incite rebellion amongst them. Tharks are notoriously distrustful of other races, though they are intensely loyal friends if one can gain their trust. They are strong and formidable fighters, partially due to the fact that they have four arms. The Tharks worship a goddess named Issus, and elderly Tharks often take their own lives rather than waste away and die slowly from natural causes. Thark children are hatched from eggs, and raised communally by the tribe, never knowing who their real parents are.
Mutation Package: Giant, Tusks, Multiple Limbs

Maugan Ra
2012-09-20, 12:08 PM
Name: James Watson
Exalt Type and Caste: Sidereal Chosen of Journeys
Anima: Yellow light
Anima Power: May triple the speed of myself and allies/vehicles within Essencex3 yards.

Motivation: Ensure the Empire keeps running smoothly and weathers any changes.

Faction: Emissary

Attributes
Physical:
Strength **
Dexterity *****
Stamina **

Social:
Charisma ***
Manipulation **
Appearance **

Mental
Perception ***
Intelligence ***
Wits *****

Abilities (Specializations +)

Journeys
[A]Resistance: **
Ride:
[A]Sail: ***** (Indomitable class **)
[A]Survival: **
[A]Thrown:
[A]Drive: ***

Serenity
Craft:
[F] Dodge: ****
Linguistics: **
Performance:
Socialize: *

Battles
Archery:
Athletics: **
Melee:
Presence:
War:
[F] Firearms: ***** (Vehicle mounted **)

Secrets
Investigation: *
Larceny:
Lore: ***
Occult: **
Stealth: *

Endings
[F] Awareness: ***
Bureaucracy: ***
Integrity:
[F] Martial Arts: *****
Medicine:
Backgrounds, Artifacts and Equipment:
Backgrounds:
Backing (Bureau of Destiny) ****
- Artifact **** (Starmetal Perfected Kata bracers)
- Salary ****
- Sifu/Mentor ****
- Celestial Manse ***
Artifact ** (Silken Armour)
Contacts ** (Guild shipping concerns)

Artifacts and Equipment:

Celestial Manse: 3
Stone: Stone of Freedom (Bracers)
- Cannot be physically restrained in any way. Clinches and the like automatically fail against me.

Resources: 5 in HQ, N/A in the wider galaxy
Watson has a significant expenses account to help him in completing his missions.
>

Starmetal Perfected Kata Bracers (****)
When a form-type charm is active, I add my Essence to the Accuracy, Damage and defense of all the weapons compatible with that style. Charms from the same style also cost 2 motes less each, to a minimum of 1

Charms

Fateful Sail excellency
Fateful Firearms excellency
Fateful Resistance excellency
Fateful Martial Arts excellency

Resistance:
4 free Ox-Body techniques
Optimistic Security practice
Heartless maiden stance

Sail:
Stone skipping spirit
Mirror-Shattering method

Firearms:
Holistic bullet methodology - For 1m, I may fire a ranged attack without using any ammunition. If I don't have a gun, this makes the attack into the equivalent of a Holdout pistol shot with Starmetal bonuses.

Steel and smoke mandala - For 8m, I make a Firearms magical flurry of up to eight attacks directed against different targets within range, or up to five attacks against a single target, using one bullet.

Investigation:
Efficient Secretary technique

Dodge:
Absence - For a reflexive 2m, penalties to my Dodge DV against an attack are negated. Using it against successive attacks in a flurry also raises the target number of the enemy attack by 1

Duck Fate - For 10m, may roll Dexterity+Dodge against any undesirable effect, difficulty equal to the effect's essence (or 1, in the case of natural effects. If I pass, the effect is perfectly dodged.[/i]

Martial Arts:
Secrets of future strife - May pay 3m when joining battle to automatically convert five dice on the roll to successes.

Blade of the Battle Maiden - May pay 5m, 1wp as a reflexive action to enchant my natural weapons with the stats of a Starmetal Daiklaive

Joy in Adversity stance - Spend 2m to reflexively activate this for the scene. While active, any attacks that I dodge add an additional dice to my next unarmed attack. Using a perfect defense ends this charm early.

Flight of Mercury - For a 2m supplemental cost, an unarmed attack reduces it's speed by 1 and I may move up to 4 yards to properly engage.

Violet Bier of Sorrows Form - Simple action, 5m. While active, enemies double their wound penalties on any actions which might oppose me, every level of damage dealt to a spirit consumes one of it's motes, and all my attacks gain an Overwhelming tag of 4.

Death-Deflecting Blow - If struck, I may reflexively spend 4m to reduce the raw damage of the attack by my Parry DV, and reduce the minimum damage by 1 dice, to a minimum of 1. Does not function against unexpected attacks.

Life-Severing Blow - For 5m, an attack may be supplemented, adding my essence to it's raw and minimum damage levels. Enemies reduced to their incapacitated level may be Shaped into a cloud of purple dust, instantly killing them. Against mortals, the same effect can be achieved with a single health level of damage.

Metal Storm - For 7m, 1wp, I may make up to my Martial Arts in attacks against a single target as part of a magical flurry.

Conclusion-Pursuing approach - May add a surcharge of 10m and 1wp to Violet Bier of Sorrows form. The penalties from wound multipliers and tripled rather than doubled, and my attacks against creatures outside of fate also devour motes and become aggravated. May use a Prayer Strip to upgrade attacks further - every hit strips one willpower from the target. If they have no willpower, it takes 10 motes. If they have no motes, it shapes them dead instantly.

Combat Stats:
Join Combat: 8

Attacks:
Hands:
Acc: 12 | Damage: 2B | Parry DV: 7 | Rate: 3

Feet:
Acc: 10 | Damage: 5B | Parry DV: 5 | Rate: 2

Clinch:
Acc: 10 | Damage: 2B | Parry DV: - | Rate: 3

'Blade of the Battle Maiden'
Speed: 5 | Acc: 13 | Damage: 10L/2 | Parry DV: 8 | Rate: 3

Dodge DV: 8

Soak:
Bashing: 5
Lethal: 6
Aggravated: 5

Health:
-0 [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
-1 [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
-2 [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
-4 [ ]
X [ ]

Mental Defenses:
Dodge MDV: 6
Charisma Parry MDV:
> Presence 1
>Performance: 1
Manipulation Parry MDV:
>Presence: 1
>Performance: 1

Virtues:
Compassion **
Conviction **
Temperance **
Valor ***

Intimacies:
The Empire (Loyalty)
His ship (Possessive pride)
His crew (Proud camaraderie)
Other pilots (Professional regard)
Erin Berger (Fire-forged loyalty)
Leaves room for five more

Languages:
High Realm (Native)
Old Realm
Rivertongue

Willpower: ***** ***

Essence:
Permanent: 4
Personal: 16
Peripheral: 33 (39, 6 attuned)

Astrology

The Captain **
The Messenger **
The Banner *
The Mask **

Destinies:
The Officer - In this guise, Watson is visibly an officer in the Imperial Fleet and the captain of his ship. He has authority and rank, but the eye is drawn primarily towards his rank stripes, and not towards his face.

The Courier - When wearing this destiny, Watson is clearly a functionary on important and official business. People generally feel an odd sort of compulsion to get out of his way and not impede his progress.

The War Hero - When Watson dons this guise, he stops becoming a mostly forgettable individual and becomes instead Captain Watson, hero of the Battle of Barsoom.

The Sidereal - When he wants to be acknowledged as what he is, Watson dons this destiny. He becomes essentially faceless and unyielding, an Agent of the Empire and privy to secrets.

Bonus Points and XP:
Bonus Points:
1 to buy Investigation
1 to buy Bureaucracy
8 to raise essence to 3
2 to raise Sail to five
2 to raise Firearms to five
1 to raise martial arts to 4
3 to raise willpower to eight

Experience Points.
Spent: 76 | Left: 1 | Total: 77
- Raised essence to 4 for 24xp
- Raised Martial arts to 5 for 7xp
- Raised dodge to 4 for 5xp
- Bought Violet Bier of Sorrows Form (8xp)
- Bought Death-Parrying Stroke (8xp)
- Bought Metal Storm (8xp)
- Bought Life-Severing Blow (8xp)
- Bought Conclusion-Pursuing Approach (8xp)

sun_tzu
2012-09-20, 07:00 PM
Major Erin Berger:

http://media.gamebandits.com/images/2011/08/Mass-Effect-32.jpg

Caste: Dawn
Concept: Idealistic super-soldier
Motivation: To make the Central Empire a force of good for the galaxy.

Strength 2, Dexterity 5, Stamina 4, Charisma 5, Manipulation 1, Appearance 3, Perception 2, Intelligence 3, Wits 3

Firearms 5, War 4 (Tactics +2), *Integrity 3, *Presence 5 (Offering Reasonable Compromise +2), Resistance 1, *Craft (Air) 3, *Lore 3, Medicine 1, *Dodge 4, Bureaucracy 1, Drive 1, Linguistics 1, Socialize 1

Essence 4
Compassion 4, Conviction 2, Temperance 3, Valor 4
Willpower 10
Intimacies: Freedom, Democracy, Justice, Hope, The Epsilon Alliance, Her family, Soldiers under her command, Watson

Artifact 2 (Orichalcum Shellcaster) (in storage, unattuned)
Artifact 1 (Orichalcum Breastplate) (in storage, unattuned)
Artifact 3 (Orichalcum Yoroi Rapid-Response Armor: +2 to Awareness and Stealth, +1 to Strength, faster movement)
Artifact 3 (Orichalcum Grand Shellcaster)
Artifact 2 (Antares Industries Omnitool (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14396219&postcount=206) - adds [Essence] dice to Lore and Craft rolls)
Hearthstone 3 (Guardian Gem: Allows rerolling actions or substract damage)
Hearthstone 3 (Windhand Gem: No Onslaught or Defense penalties against ranged attacks, can parry them barehanded)
Backing 3 (Central Empire military)
Reputation 4 (Hero of the Battle of Barsoom)
Influence 2

1st Firearms Excellency, Nova Shell Ordnance, Heaven's Eye Marksmanship, Lightspeed Trigger Technique
1st War Excellency
2nd Integrity Excellency, Integrity-Protecting Prana
2nd Presence Excellency
Invincible Essence Reinforcement
2nd Lore Excellency, God-Mind Algorithms
Shadow Over Water, Reflex Sidestep Technique
2nd Drive Excellency
Mastery of Small Manners

Stats:
Initiative 3
Attack roll (with Grand Shellcaster): 13
-Speed: 6
-Damage: 10L/3
-Range: 200
Soak (with Yoroi armor): 17B/16L/10A
Hardness (with Yoroi Armor): 6B/6L/5A
Dodge DV: 7 (9 with Anima)
Personal Essence: 0/22
Peripheral Essence: 0/36 (15 committed to artifacts, total 51)
Willpower: 7/10
Compassion channels: 4/4
Temperance channels: 3/3
Valor channels: 2/4

XP: 4/44

Backstory:
Pre-exaltation: "...yeah, I'm from the Epsilon Alliance. No, you won't find it on the map - the official name these days is the Epsilon Territories. But we still call it the Alliance.
Back in the days, the Epsilon Alliance was a republic of several inhabited systems, plus a growing collection of orbital colonies (one of my uncles retired on an O'Neil cylinder). We've always boasted a fairly eclectic population - nearly 30% aliens. My family had a long and proud military tradition.
That didn't help much when the Empire showed up. The Alliance put up a good fight, of course. We had our share of heroes. My mother got her own battlecruiser, and participated in the Battle of Savar's Rings. But the imperials had numbers, superior firepower, way more Dragon-Blooded than us, and a Lunar admiral. We would have needed a miracle to win.
After the war, we became one of many imperial territories. That was seven years before my birth, by the way. Most of my family figured if they wanted to preserve some of Epsilon's freedoms, the best way to go at it was from within the system - which is why our military tradition is still going strong. I like to think it wasn't all for nothing: Have you heard about the political troubles five years ago? When the imperial governor tried to pass the Emergency Act, my mother, commodore Berger, was one of the highest-ranking officials to resign in protest. The governor backed down, so, I guess it worked.
I guess I was raised on a mix of imperial propaganda and old-school Epsilon Alliance values. Oh, I don't kid myself - there isn't going to be some glorious revolution where we throw off imperial shackles and restore our cherished democracy. But I'm here, in the Imperial Army. I'm an elite officer. I get to have some say in how things are done. If I play my cards right, I can make the Empire a less crappy place, at least a little."

Exaltation: "...to hear the propaganda about it, you'd think I'd single-handedly crushed the armies of the Stellar Intelligences or something. It wasn't that grand, really. Let me tell you the story:
Imperial Intelligence had discovered a Malfean stealth ship heading for Elix V. It was a prospection ship, meaning they were looking for something. Our records suggested the planet had been abandoned for a pretty long time, but they sent our team to investigate. They figured a Dragon-Blooded might be needed, which was why Nexon was our commanding officer for the mission. I was second-in-command, and chief engineering expert.
The good news were, we caught a lucky break early in the mission and managed to decipher their communication; they'd found a pretty advanced ancient installation there, with advanced tech, a fully operational fusion plant, and a bunker system that went miles below the surface - the whole thing seemed to be some kind of vault meant to safeguard whatever was kept underground. The bad news were, we'd underestimated Malfean stealth; they hadn't brought one ship, but eight. We were badly outnumbered, and they had noticed us.
Their initial assault sent us on the run, and almost killed Nexon. He was out of commission, which left me in charge. I figured there was really only one way out that mess, so I led the troops to that abandoned facility...No, no, I'm not saying it was easy, we had to rely on misdirection and...look, we'll be here all day if I give all the details. The short version is, we got to the facility, reprogrammed the fusion plant, and went down the bunker. We had several miles of rock standing between us and that power plant when it took the Malfean forces out in a thermonuclear explosion.
And then...well, it turned out the vault contained an old Solar Shard. We only figured that one after it spontaneously activated and went for me, though.
What I'm going to do now? Well, we kind of have a global war with the galaxy at stake going on. I intend to win it, and send the Stellar Intelligences back to the void."

Personality: Erin Berger is a hero through and through. She wishes for a world where justice is reliable, the rights of the weak are protected, and disagreements are resolved through civilized discussion rather than violence. And since that's not how the world currently works, she takes it upon herself to MAKE it work like that where she goes.
Berger is highly critical of the Central Empire, but she doesn't want it gone, either. Rather, she wants to turn it into the sort of nation she can serve proudly.

Notes on Backgrounds: Berger's Artifacts were provided by the Central Empire's military after her exaltation. Her current Backing score is both the result of her fairly high rank, and the current wariness of her superiors. The Influence comes from her status as a war hero.
During one of her recent missions in the war, Berger and her squad snuck aboard an unaffiliated merchant ship to escape a Malfean blockade. The Malfeans found out, and the ship suffered immense damage in the escape. The military wouldn't pay for the collateral damage, so Berger chose to reimburse the ship's repairs out of her own pocket. As such, she is currently penniless and living off army chow - hence the absence of a Resources background.

sun_tzu
2012-09-22, 06:21 AM
Um...Anyone else? :smalleek:

Maugan Ra
2012-09-22, 06:40 AM
I am a little concerned about the sudden vanishing of players. I mean, sure, Exalted can be done with relatively few people (the basic characters are easily powerful enough to take care of themselves) but I was fairly sure there were other folks interested in this...

JollyChris
2012-09-22, 05:29 PM
Uh yeah sorry for not posting in a few days i was busy. Horus had some questions about my sheet which i hope i've answered i am still interested.

sun_tzu
2012-09-22, 05:36 PM
Uh yeah sorry for not posting in a few days i was busy. Horus had some questions about my sheet which i hope i've answered i am still interested.

Well, post your sheet when ready. ;)

JollyChris
2012-09-23, 04:23 PM
Alright Horus has cleared my sheet so here it is:

Fluff: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/TechnoGothic/EXALTED/GreenbaronAlchemicalExalted.jpg
Background: Shortly before Yugash began it's journey back into the known worlds God Constellation Autochthon ordered the construction of several new Exalted to aid Yugash in it's dangerous mission Passionate defender of Orthodoxy was one of these new Exalted and was given the task of preparing the Populat for the strange new worlds they would face.

Initially Passionate Defender of Orthodoxy spent much of his time with the lectors giving sermons and helping to maintain the moral of the Populat. All that changed however when heretic Voidbringers sabotaged some of Unquestioned Strength of the Populat's defensive systems allowing the Shrieking Hordes to desended upon the city.

When this occured Passionate Defender was in the middle of listening to the High Celebrants weekly sermon and surrounded by some of the highest ranking members of the Tripartite. Passionate Defender managed to get them to a nearby shelter then took up a weapon vowing not to let a single creature inside. Drawing heavily on memories of one of his previous lives who had been an experienced soldier he stood his ground for two days fighting off many attacks until the city was finally cleared of the foul creatures.

Due largely to his heroism the Tripartite leadership made it through relatively intact which helped speed the recovery process. When it was reaveled that sabotage was responsible Defender vowed to hunt down those responsible. Aiding the Preceptors he spent the next few years eradicating every voidbringer cults they could find.

As Yugash neared the frontier tales began to circulate that Malfeas had returned. Knowing that Malfeas still harbored resentment for Autocthon and wished to destroy him Yugash's leadership knew they had to act. However should they engage Malfeas directly or let the forces of the central empire deal with him? Will he leave them alone or seek to destroy them? After weeks of deadlock Passionate Defender stepped forward to address the assembly. He argued forcefully that the longer they waited the stronger Malfeas would become and asked for permission to aid the imperial forces until the assembly could come to a decision themselves.

When Defender made contact with imperial forces he was directed to others gathering to engage the growing threat.

Crunch: Name: Passionate Defender of Orthodoxy
Exalt Type and Caste: Jade Caste Alchemical
Anima: A shield in front of a mechanical solar system
Anima Power: Add essence to natural soak for the scene.
Height: 10ft 4 inches
Skin: Black
Hair: Red
Eyes: Green

Motivation: Protect and guide the people of Yugash.

Attributes
Physical:
[F]Strength 3 (6)
[F]Dexterity 5
[C]Stamina 5 (9)

Social:
[C]Charisma 4
Manipulation 1
Appearance 3

Mental
[F]Perception 2
Intelligence 3
[C]Wits 2

Abilities (Specializations +)

Melee: 5 (+3 Sword and Shield)
Athletics: 3
Awareness: 3
Integrity: 3
Performance: 3 (+1 Oration)
Resistance: 3
Investigation: 2
Lore: 2
Occult: 2
Linguistics: 1 (Autocthonian + Galactic Standard)

Backgrounds:
Artifact 3 (Jade reaver beamklave, Orichalcum superheavy plate, Orichalcum thunderbolt shield)
Backing (Imperial Military): 1
Class: 5
Command: 1
Charms: 5

Charms

General Charm Slots:
1) Fourth Stamina Augmentation [1m]
2) First Dexterity Augmentation [1m]
3) Fifth Charisma Augmentation (Charisma + Presence) [1m]
4) Programmed Catechism Rebuttal [1m]

Dedicated Charms Slots:
1) Pain Suppression Nodes [1m]
2) Aegis Integration System [1m]
3) Subcutaneous Armor Plating [1m]
4) Manifold Transhuman Implants [1m]

First Dexterity Augmentation [1m]
Fourth Stamina Augmentation [1m]
Fourth Strength Augmentation [1m]
Fifth Charisma Augmentation (Charisma + Presence) [1m]

Combat: Piston driven megaton hammer [1m], Aim Calibrating Sensors [1m], Accelerated Response System (parry) [1m],

Survival: Strain Resistant Chassis Modification x2 [1m each], Pain Suppression Nodes [1m], Subcutaneous Armor Plating [1m], Light Etched Interception Barrier [0m], Alloyed Reinforcement of Flesh [0m], Aegis Integration System [1m],

Speed and Mobility: Personal Gravity Manipulation Apparatus [1m], Parabolic Leap Overcharger Device [1m],

Social: Patriotism Provoking Display [1m], Perfected Union Patterning [1m], Programmed Catechism Rebuttal [1m],

Labor and Utility: Manifold Transhuman Implants [1m] (Giant, Thick Skin, Inexhaustible),

Combat Stats:
Join Combat: 5

Attacks:Jade Reaver Beamklave:
Acc: 15 Damage: 14L/2 Parry DV: 7 Rate: 2 Speed: 4

Orichalcum Thunderbolt Shield:
Acc: 14 Damage: 2B Parry DV: 10 Rate: 1 Speed: 5

Dodge DV: 4

Soak:
Bashing: 31
Lethal: 26
Aggravated: 17

Hardness:
Bashing: 13
Lethal: 12
Aggravated: 11

Health:
-0 []
-1 [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
-2 [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
-4 []
X []

Mental Defenses:
Dodge MDV: 7
Charisma Parry MDV:
> Presence 5
>Performance: 4
Manipulation Parry MDV:
>Presence: 1
>Performance: 2 (3 if using Oration)

Virtues:
Compassion 3
Conviction 3
Temperance 1
Valor 5

Intimacies:

Willpower: 10

Essence:
Permanent: 2
Personal: 16
Peripheral: 8 (50) (8 Attuned to charms, 16 Attuned to Plate, 10 Attuned to Shield, 3 Attuned to Beamklave 5 commited to Aegis Intergration System)

Bonus Points, Charms and Mutations:
Bonus Points:
4 Melee 5
4 Class 5
5 Willpower 10
2 Valor 5
3 Charms
Total: 18/18

Charms: 8 starting, 2 free Augments, 2 free ox bodies, 8 bought with points,
Total: 20/20

Mutations: 4 Giant Blight, 2 Thick skin Affliction, 2 Inexhaustible Affliction,
Total: 8/8

Edit: Any word from Perdue? He's the only other person to have posted a finished sheet.

JollyChris
2012-09-23, 04:30 PM
Actually one more thing who has ships? I know i forgot to mention that my character has (that how he got here and where his vats complex is) i'll add it to my sheet soon.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-23, 05:20 PM
Watson has an Indomitable class frigate. I was generally envisaging this being the party ship, assuming we're all going to be in a group together. Seeing as I'm the only one with Sail, and that Horus said the anima power works on the ship I'm piloting, I'm basically your pilot.

(Can handle myself in combat as well, but that's a strictly second line focus)

Also, Valor 5? Wow. That'll be interesting. I mean, James has Valour 3, but that's more representative of a somewhat overconfident attitude fighter pilots sometimes have than the Alchemical's apparent insane bravery. And with Temperence 1. Oh, you are just going to be amazingly easily to goad into a fight.

horus42
2012-09-24, 01:27 PM
Any word from Perdue? He's the only other person to have posted a finished sheet.

I sent Perdue a PM with a link to the thread. If he's still interested, I hope he'll get in on the game. If not, would you guys rather just start the game with three players, or reopen recruitment?

sun_tzu
2012-09-24, 01:44 PM
I sent Perdue a PM with a link to the thread. If he's still interested, I hope he'll get in on the game. If not, would you guys rather just start the game with three players, or reopen recruitment?

I've seen games last a good time with three. :smallwink:

horus42
2012-09-24, 03:12 PM
Ok, then if I haven't heard from Perdue by tomorrow, we'll go ahead and get the game started.

JollyChris
2012-09-24, 05:34 PM
Starting with just the three of us is fine with me.

Perdue
2012-09-24, 07:14 PM
Yeah sorry was a bit of a busy weekend.

----character----

Siku, Night Caste Solar
The Infiltrator

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/sillyhobbit_2006/Suikoden%20pics/dolph01.png

Name Siku
Exalt Type and Caste Solar Night
Anima A woman playing a harp.

Motivation Infiltrate every organizations and governments in the Galaxy.

Backstory
Siku has trained all his life to be an infiltrator. He learned how to blend in the crowd and used thrown weapons, as his favorite mean of taking out targets. It was an easy and quiet way to take care of his objectives. Siku exalted during one of his infiltration mission, where he had managed to bypass most of the building defenses and ended up surrounded by many guards. He attacked them from the shadows. They couldn't do anything and ended up being dispatched.

Since his exaltation, he applied as an infiltrator for the Lunar Empire. He has been working diligently ever since, going to places where most people wouldn't dare to go and gathering intelligence on their foes.

Beside doing some infiltration, Siku enjoyed his time during missions and exploring weird and exotic planets. When the message came through that they needed to find a way to banish Malfeas, he was one of the first to sign up for this task. Since then, he had been looking all over the planets for a way to banish Malfeas.

Attributes

Physical
Strength ●●●●
Dexterity ●●●●
Stamina ●●●

Social
Charisma ●●●
Manipulation ●●●
Appearance ●●●

Mental
Perception ●●
Intelligence ●●
Wits ●●●

Abilities

Firearms
Archery
Martial Arts
Melee
[F]Thrown ●●●●● (Sky-cutter+3)
War

[F]Integrity ●●●
Performance
Presence
Resistance
Survival

Craft
[F]Investigate ●
Lore ●
Medicine
Occult

[C]Athletics ●●●●●
[C]Awareness ●●●
[C]Dodge ●●●●● (Multiple Opponents +1)
[C]Larceny
[C]Stealth ●●●●●

Bureaucracy
[F]Linguistics ●
Ride
Sail
[F]Drive ●
Socialize ●

Backgrounds
Orichalcum Sky-Cutter (artifact 2)
Manse 5 (Gem of Perfect Mobility)
Orichalcum Hearthstone Bracers (Artifact 2)

Artifacts and Equipment
Orichalcum Sky-Cutter: Speed 5, Accuracy +2, Damage +6L/3, Rate 2 Range 100, Tags: O.

Charms

Athletics
2nd Excellency

Stealth
2nd Excellency
Easily Overlooked Presence Method

Dodge
Third Excellency
Shadow Over Water
Seven Shadow Evasion
Reflex Sidestep Technique
Leaping Dodge Method

Thrown
First Excellency
Infinite Thrown Mastery
Observer Deceiving Attack
Falling Icicle Strike
Triple-Distance Attack Technique
Cascade of Cutting Terror

Linguistics
Sagacious reading of Intent

Join Combat: 6

Defenses
Dodge DV 8
Parry DV N/A

Soak: 3B/1L

Health
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
-X [ ]

Mental Defenses
Dodge MDV 7
Parry MDV

Virtues
Compassion ●●
Conviction ●●
Temperance ●●●
Valor ●●

Virtue Flaw / Flawed Virtue Ascetic Drive (Temperance)

Intimacies:
The Lunar Empire (+), Malfeas and his peers (-).

Willpower:8/8

Essence
Permanent: ●●●
Personal: 17/17 (0 Committed)
Peripheral: 30/38 (8 Committed)

Bonus Points 0/18
7 for E3
3 for willpower 8.
4 for Manse 5.
2 for integrity.
2 for awareness.

Experience Points

horus42
2012-09-24, 07:30 PM
Oh, it's no problem. Sorry I sort of jumped to conclusions.

Anyway, with the four of you ready now, we can go ahead and get the game started. The IC thread is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13951268#post13951268

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 03:32 AM
Excellent. We're away!

And yes, I called my ship the Mercury. Not amazingly original, but I needed something I could remember.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 01:41 PM
I apologise if that charm breaks the intended investigation a little, but... Sidereal. The original charm goes and reads the answer in the loom of fate, so it's virtually impossible to fool provided you're not a Raksha.

As an example, the book lists 'Who stabbed Sestus Leor' as a valid question, but not 'who murdered Sestus Leor', as murder is a matter of intent rather than facts.

sun_tzu
2012-09-25, 01:49 PM
I apologise if that charm breaks the intended investigation a little, but... Sidereal. The original charm goes and reads the answer in the loom of fate, so it's virtually impossible to fool provided you're not a Raksha.

As an example, the book lists 'Who stabbed Sestus Leor' as a valid question, but not 'who murdered Sestus Leor', as murder is a matter of intent rather than facts.

Well, Berger definitely won't mind if he uses the same Charm to answer her question about logistics. Are his forces dependent on unbihexium batteries? Does he need more optronic chips to automate his armies? Does he need antimatter reserves for energy? Carbosteel to build more ships? :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, the charm is limited to fairly exact questions. The spider has no knowledge of war or logistics, so it cannot judge the logistical requirements of the Malfean ships. It could probably pull up total and exact schematics of their individual designs, though, as well as their exact numbers and dispositions in any particular theatre. I expect the rest of the Sidereals already have.

So, let's get underway. Time to save the galaxy.

horus42
2012-09-25, 03:05 PM
Well, I suppose I should have looked at the OOC thread much sooner than I did... But the fact that you used that charm is fine by me. I have no problems with PCs using any of the resources available to them.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 04:01 PM
I couldn't find anything in the books to help me work out the exact travel times for a ship, so I made them up. In any case, we are moving at top speed multiplied by six here, due to Watson being a Chosen of Journeys who is very good at his job.

With what should be a two-dice stunt there to regenerate willpower, and the benefits of my Manse background, I should even be fully resupplied with essence by the time we reach Barsoom. Just bring us in wherever is dramatically appropriate and near to what we're searching for, eh Horus? :smalltongue:

horus42
2012-09-25, 04:23 PM
I couldn't find anything in the books to help me work out the exact travel times for a ship, so I made them up. In any case, we are moving at top speed multiplied by six here, due to Watson being a Chosen of Journeys who is very good at his job.

With what should be a two-dice stunt there to regenerate willpower, and the benefits of my Manse background, I should even be fully resupplied with essence by the time we reach Barsoom. Just bring us in wherever is dramatically appropriate and near to what we're searching for, eh Horus? :smalltongue:

Yeah, that was pretty much my plan!

Also, I think that's where I'm going to stop for now, just to let Perdue catch up. Don't want to get too far without him.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 04:51 PM
And yes, I am basically suggesting taunting Malfeas while running away holding the prize. It is a plan that will quite possibly go very wrong, but it should draw the majority of the SI's strength away from Barsoom, and thus save millions of lives.

Watson isn't quite as compassionate as Berger, but he still values that as a priority. Also, the idea of baiting a nigh-omnipotent god-machine sounds amusing to him.

sun_tzu
2012-09-25, 05:04 PM
Works for Berger. :smallwink:

JollyChris
2012-09-25, 06:29 PM
Maugan Ra i noticed you're spending enough other motes to let you activate your anima power for 5 motes rather than 10. Since i don't know how many motes you'll be able to get back in 6 hours if you're flying the ship i thought i'd point that out.

Oh and Passionate Defender is fine with the reckless plan of taunting Malfeas. :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 06:39 PM
With the Rating 3 hearthstone, I can get back 6 additional motes an hour. I have more than enough motes to spare.

And yes, I figured a sufficiently insane plan would appeal to the Valour 4 and 5 warrior types...

sun_tzu
2012-09-25, 07:19 PM
And yes, I figured a sufficiently insane plan would appeal to the Valour 4 and 5 warrior types...

Berger isn't reckless. She's just not gonna let immense danger get in the way of saving people. :smallwink:

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 07:54 PM
Heh. Ah, technicalities, my old friends...

And yay for setting up and indulging in character-building dialogue. I initially intended Watson to be a much more fiery type, but he's not settling into that mold in my head.

Also, will probably get to work on developing Intimacies soon, as relating to my new team-mates. What form they take will be decided by this and other conversations.

sun_tzu
2012-09-26, 10:57 AM
Unless our esteemed Storyteller has any objections, I've made some last-minute modifications to Erin Berger's crunch - it's occurred to me that in a campaign about a galactic war, maybe the Dawn Caste ought to, you know, be good at War. :smallwink:
So, for the sake of a 4th Dot in War and an Excellency in the same, I've removed one Dot from Linguistics and Chaos-Repelling Pattern.
Actually, come to think of it, what languages are available in this setting? And how relevant are Charms for protection from the Wyld? :smallconfused:

Maugan Ra
2012-09-26, 11:31 AM
As I understand it, the only way we'll end up in the Wyld in this game is if Watson screws up the piloting roll. The Wyld is basically what happens when you bend or break space sufficiently to get to whatever is beyond it.

horus42
2012-09-26, 11:33 AM
Unless our esteemed Storyteller has any objections, I've made some last-minute modifications to Erin Berger's crunch - it's occurred to me that in a campaign about a galactic war, maybe the Dawn Caste ought to, you know, be good at War. :smallwink:
So, for the sake of a 4th Dot in War and an Excellency in the same, I've removed one Dot from Linguistics and Chaos-Repelling Pattern.
Actually, come to think of it, what languages are available in this setting? And how relevant are Charms for protection from the Wyld? :smallconfused:

I have no problems with it, it's still early in the game. And as for languages... most people would speak Galactic Standard, and each species would have a language of their own. Although the default language for humans is Galactic Standard, seeing as how humans pretty much run the galaxy.

The Wyld isn't really as much of a big deal in Heaven's Reach, I don't think. The Shrieking Hordes are there, but there isn't much intrusion of the Wyld into the material world.

horus42
2012-10-01, 11:44 AM
I went ahead and added the Aliens into the first post, so that there's a better way to look them up.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-01, 12:01 PM
Well, eleven enemies then. Should be interesting.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-01, 12:38 PM
Oh bloody hell. Sixteen dice for a Join Battle, and I get a mighty three successes. Dammit.

Still, time to shoot people in the face. Also, hey, an Infernal. That's interesting.

sun_tzu
2012-10-01, 12:40 PM
Oh bloody hell. Sixteen dice for a Join Battle, and I get a mighty three successes. Dammit.
Happens to the best of us.

Still, time to shoot people in the face. Also, hey, an Infernal. That's interesting.
Yup! Time for us to start becoming expensive to Malfeas's war efforts!
I mean, reducing the number of exalts at his disposal has to hurt on a strategic level, right?

JollyChris
2012-10-01, 05:41 PM
Well since it seems that you aren't going to wait for anyone i'll just leave (i guess that's what happened Perdue.).

Maugan Ra
2012-10-01, 05:47 PM
In Horus' defense, he did wait. Twenty four hours or more is usually a decent time frame for a response, and he gave you about two days if I'm reading the post times correctly.

Still, if you and Perdue do indeed leave, well... I guess Berger and Watson can save the galaxy. She can provide the compassionate heroism, I'll provide the snark.

horus42
2012-10-01, 06:27 PM
I'm sorry if you feel that way, but as was said earlier, I did wait for two days. The last two times I waited any longer than that for someone to respond, the game died, so that was why I went ahead and continued.

If you feel you need to leave, then I apologize, and understand your decision.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-01, 06:31 PM
Still, if he's leaving, I believe that means everyone involved has rolled their Join Battle. Let's get started!

(I think Watson acts first, on Tick 0, and Berger acts on Tick 2. At least if I'm reading the combat rules correctly, and of course allowing for the enemies to be factored in.)

horus42
2012-10-01, 06:45 PM
I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow, just in case he doesn't actually leave.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-02, 12:33 PM
Ah, Sidereals. They have all sorts of fun abilities.

So yeah, basically, just fired a perfect shot through the heads of eight Blood Apes. Depending on their soak, and how the damage rolls work out, that should hopefully reduce the outnumbering problem.

Watson is all about bending space-time, isn't he?

Edit: Whoops, nearly forgot about their DV. Still, twelve successes should be enough to score a hit, unless they're ninjas masquerading as apes.

JollyChris
2012-10-02, 12:43 PM
I didn't mean the two days thing. When i said you weren't waiting i meant the 20 posts in a couple of hours that started a fight without my character getting a chance to have say. That's what i'm annoyed about, you were posting nearly as fast as we post in the skype game i'm in when i'm not around to have any say.

sun_tzu
2012-10-02, 01:12 PM
I'd be saddened to see your Alchemical go, but it's your call. :smallfrown:

Impressive trick for Watson! Yeah, I think we can handle the ten demons. It's the Infernal I'm concerned about.

horus42
2012-10-07, 01:28 PM
Oh hey, the forums are back. I'll get my next post up soon.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-07, 01:57 PM
Berger, shoot the Infernal please. As I understand the text, an auto-klaive is basically a monofilament chain-sword thing, which is nasty enough even before we add in whatever the Slayer is doing. Watson would like to avoid death by hideous dismemberment.

horus42
2012-10-07, 02:09 PM
An auto-klaive is basically a monofilament chain-sword thing, which is nasty enough even before we add in whatever the Slayer is doing.

Why, Green-Sun Nimbus Flare, of course!

sun_tzu
2012-10-07, 02:12 PM
Berger, shoot the Infernal please. As I understand the text, an auto-klaive is basically a monofilament chain-sword thing, which is nasty enough even before we add in whatever the Slayer is doing. Watson would like to avoid death by hideous dismemberment.

I'll try. Though I'm taking the time to aim properly first. :smallwink:

Maugan Ra
2012-10-07, 02:32 PM
Also, I'm going to assume I qualified for a two-dot stunt in my attack. I'll take the four mote reward if so.

And excellent, that should make Watson and Berger act together on tick 5. I'll see about doing something with regards to the other Blood-Apes while you shoot the Infernal. Assuming said Apes don't accomplish anything in their turn, which might not be a safe bet.

And for future reference, Horus, what's your stance on Sidereal Martial arts? I'm aware most of them are hideously broken, though the essence limit in Heaven's Reach does rule out most of them from being mastered. I'd be aiming vaguely in the direction of the Prismatic Arrangement of Creation style myself, if allowed.

horus42
2012-10-07, 02:47 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention it in my post, but yeah, you got a 2-dice stunt. As for Sidereal Martial Arts, I think that with the Essence cap, it would most likely be fine.

sun_tzu
2012-10-07, 02:55 PM
Ah, how many attacks are made against Berger? Because I figured I'd be using Shadow Over Water to improve her dodge.
As for her Lethal Soak, it's 13 (5 natural, thanks to Invincible Essence Reinforcement, and 8 from her armor. I should probably write that on her sheet. ^^' )

horus42
2012-10-07, 02:58 PM
Ah, how many attacks are made against Berger? Because I figured I'd be using Shadow Over Water to improve her dodge.
As for her Lethal Soak, it's 13 (5 natural, thanks to Invincible Essence Reinforcement, and 8 from her armor. I should probably write that on her sheet. ^^' )

Oh, just the one attack, so you're unaffected by it.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-07, 02:59 PM
Hmm. It's been a little while since I used the combat system in exalted, so I just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

So, reading that post, the Blood Apes managed to hit both Watson and Berger, yeah? Which means they rolled their nine dice for a claw attack (going by the profile in the book, the accuracy) and scored at least seven successes in order to hit Watson (his dodge Defence Value is presently six. Base of seven, minus one for attacking). That's quite impressive. Actually, in order to deal a raw damage of nine to me, it would have needed to score eight successes on the attack.

Am I understanding that correctly? Because if so, that's not a Blood Ape, it's a bloody ninja...

sun_tzu
2012-10-07, 03:00 PM
Oh, just the one attack, so you're unaffected by it.

...I'm not sure I follow. :smallconfused:

horus42
2012-10-07, 03:08 PM
Wait, that's my fault, I'm doing this wrong. I was using a simplified houserule that I forgot wasn't the actual rule.

They actually didn't even hit either of you. My apologies.

sun_tzu
2012-10-07, 03:12 PM
Wait, that's my fault, I'm doing this wrong. I was using a simplified houserule that I forgot wasn't the actual rule.

They actually didn't even hit either of you. My apologies.

All right then! Action time!
...But I still want the answer to my question: Do the stunt dice and the dice from Aim apply to the entire Flurry, or just my first attack?

horus42
2012-10-07, 03:13 PM
All right then! Action time!
...But I still want the answer to my question: Do the stunt dice and the dice from Aim apply to the entire Flurry, or just my first attack?

I've been looking for an answer and haven't found it, so I'm just going to rule that it applies to the entire flurry.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-07, 03:51 PM
Bollocks, completely missed with my tick five volley.

sun_tzu
2012-10-07, 03:53 PM
Bollocks, completely missed with my tick five volley.

Not necessarily. If the demon's DV is at -1 from attacking earlier, then I think your first shot hit.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-07, 03:58 PM
Ah, true, I had forgotten about that. Bah, I'll get the hang of this system eventually. Also, while I hate to possibly tilt the deck against us, Blood Apes do have essence and excellencies.

Anyway, it's pretty much base damage of 6L if I hit there, which matches the lethal soak. Since there's a minimum of one die damage anyway (it used to be my essence, before the 2.5 errata), let's see if that does anything.

[roll0]

Edit: Yay! Still only one level of damage, but hopefully I annoy it enough to come attack me instead of Tarkus or Berger.

Also, having checked how the flurry rules work, I think I might have been misunderstanding my combo in tick 0. Supplemental charms have to be added to every roll in a flurry, and Iron and Smoke Mandala creates a magical flurry, so I couldn't really have done a perfect attack against so many foes for so cheap.

So, my bad, and I'll remember it for the future. Call it a balance for us not getting our commandos or something.

sun_tzu
2012-10-09, 01:43 PM
Man, poor rolls for Erin on this round.
...I'll just have to hope that between Onslaught Penalties, his DV being halved, and my WP expenditure, he didn't have much DV left.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 01:45 PM
Ok, Blood Apes have a Dodge DV of 5 normally, reduced to four since they attacked last tick/round. Watson, who with the excellency was looking for 4's on his dice, scored eleven successes against the first Ape and nine against the second one. That means raw damage works out as 13L on the first one and 11L on the second.

Since Apes have a lethal soak of 6, I'll roll damage against them here.
Ape 1: [roll0]
Ape 2: [roll1]
Per the excellency, I should still be looking for 4's. I think so anyway.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 01:49 PM
Well, that should be three levels done to one, and five to the other. Not quite enough to put them down, but decent all the same. Bloody demons.

And since I don't know the Infernal's DV, I'll just let Horus work that one out...

Also, Berger's been expending a lot of essence. What's her anima banner like now? Watson's caste mark has probably started glowing...

sun_tzu
2012-10-09, 01:51 PM
Well, that should be three levels done to one, and five to the other. Not quite enough to put them down, but decent all the same. Bloody demons.

And since I don't know the Infernal's DV, I'll just let Horus work that one out...

Also, Berger's been expending a lot of essence. What's her anima banner like now? Watson's caste mark has probably started glowing...

She spent ten motes of external when she tried to talk the demons down. Right now, her aura's at the max.
...Which might be enough to seriously affect the apes, given the 2.5 Dawn aura. I'd forgotten that bit.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 01:56 PM
Ooh, fully totemic. Nice. Go, add some description in, given that she should be glowing like a small star and surrounded by a stylistic anima representation.

And balls, Tarkus is down.

horus42
2012-10-09, 01:57 PM
Meh, the Apes were doing no good, so I might have just stretched the rules a bit and killed them off...

Now it's just the Infernal, who's nearly gone.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 02:07 PM
Watson does not approve of watching a decent commander get cut down like that. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any medicine training. So he settled for the next best thing - shooting the responsible individual many times over.

sun_tzu
2012-10-09, 02:24 PM
Yeah. Here's hoping we haven't lost Tarkas.
Another flurry. Does Willpower expenditure/Virtue channeling apply to just one action, or the entire Flurry? (It's the latter in games I run, but I don't think the rules specify...)

sun_tzu
2012-10-09, 02:41 PM
Um, wow. That...was quite the medical roll. oO

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 02:46 PM
Indeed. Hopefully enough to stabilize him, so we can get him to the Mercury and into the actual medical bay. Don't care if he has to be shipped away to a core worlds medical base or something to recover.

horus42
2012-10-09, 02:48 PM
He was actually already dead, technically. I just wanted to give him a dramatic death scene. That Infernal packed more of a wallop than I realized.

sun_tzu
2012-10-09, 02:53 PM
Goddammit. I was really hoping to take that Infernal out before he killed the likable NPC who didn't sound like the plot was going to keep him alive. :smallfrown:

...Question: Does Tarkas making Berger "commander" carry any official weight, or was it just a personal moment? Is commander an actual rank, or just a designation for whoever is in charge of the mission?

horus42
2012-10-09, 02:59 PM
Goddammit. I was really hoping to take that Infernal out before he killed the likable NPC who didn't sound like the plot was going to keep him alive. :smallfrown:

...Question: Does Tarkas making Berger "commander" carry any official weight, or was it just a personal moment? Is commander an actual rank, or just a designation for whoever is in charge of the mission?

I was going to keep him alive, but the dice didn't want me to. :smallfrown:

It's just a designation for who's in charge of the mission. Tarkas respected and trusted you, so he put you in charge after his death.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 03:03 PM
Well, that means Watson answers to Berger now. Interesting. Guess we'll see how this develops.

Still, stage one complete, data obtained. Stage two is to taunt the Stellar Intelligence with it and see what Malfeas does. For that, we need to be gone from here. Chop chop.

sun_tzu
2012-10-09, 04:57 PM
Losing Tarkas is a shame on a personal level.
On a global, strategic level, we still have his exaltation, and the Empire can use it to make a new Lunar soon, albeit a less experienced one. Meanwhile, Malfeas is now on Infernal Exaltation short.
...Which makes me wonder how many of these he has. If we take out enough of them, can that cripple his war effort?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 05:27 PM
Can't hurt the war effort, really. Though it might very well hurt us. Infernals are nasty, especially if they're with Malfeas and thus built for direct confrontation.

horus42
2012-10-09, 08:14 PM
Yeah, the book is pretty unclear as to exactly how many Exalted there are in Heaven's Reach. I've made it so that Infernals are actually pretty rare at this point, but Malfeas is working on acquiring more Dawn Castes to convert into Slayers.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 08:51 PM
... A whirling pattern of continent sized pieces of crystal in orbit around a central star. It's She Who Lives In Her Name, isn't it? Oh, bollocks.

And such a new Intelligence wouldn't be bound by the initial surrender re-programming either. Interesting plan.

horus42
2012-10-09, 08:56 PM
... A whirling pattern of continent sized pieces of crystal in orbit around a central star. It's She Who Lives In Her Name, isn't it? Oh, bollocks.

And such a new Intelligence wouldn't be bound by the initial surrender re-programming either. Interesting plan.

You're partly right. It's not SWLIHN.

sun_tzu
2012-10-10, 02:27 AM
Huh. Yeah, no wonder Malfeas wanted this.
...On the other hand, the old Empire maintained its glory thanks to the Stellar Intelligences, didn't it? If we could figure how to build one that didn't rebel...

Maugan Ra
2012-10-11, 01:23 PM
...Ligier is in my medical bay. Oh, that is tremendously not good.

sun_tzu
2012-10-11, 01:24 PM
...Ligier is in my medical bay. Oh, that is tremendously not good.

Heh.
I'm suddenly wishing I had Judge's Ear Technique or Sagacious Reading of Intent.

horus42
2012-10-11, 01:28 PM
For now, he's just playing messenger boy. It's not really him, but a holographic projection of him.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-11, 01:48 PM
What, no Faustian bargain for Watson? :smalltongue:

Also, I marked the use of the word 'upgrade'. Malfeas wants to become Theion, using the blueprints to show him how. Sneaky, since while the surrender programming likely forbids them from making any more intelligences, there's probably nothing in them about self upgrading. Then again, Malfeas doesn't seem bound by the oaths so much any more. Hmm.

horus42
2012-10-11, 01:52 PM
What, no Faustian bargain for Watson? :smalltongue:

Also, I marked the use of the word 'upgrade'. Malfeas wants to become Theion, using the blueprints to show him how. Sneaky, since while the surrender programming likely forbids them from making any more intelligences, there's probably nothing in them about self upgrading. Then again, Malfeas doesn't seem bound by the oaths so much any more. Hmm.

If there was an Infernal equivalent to Sidereals, you might have gotten one!

Maugan Ra
2012-10-11, 02:06 PM
Bah. There weren't originally any Infernal equivalents to Solars, until they were made. And one doesn't have to have their Exaltations transformed to switch sides... Gorol was a Solar right up until he died working for the Yozis.

Ah well. I'll stop sulking :smallwink:

sun_tzu
2012-10-11, 02:08 PM
Bah. There weren't originally any Infernal equivalents to Solars, until they were made. And one doesn't have to have their Exaltations transformed to switch sides... Gorol was a Solar right up until he died working for the Yozis.

Aw, don't take this too hard. I'm sure it won't be too long before Watson, too, is given the opportunity to betray all that is good or true or at least halfway decent for the sake of empty ambition.

horus42
2012-10-11, 02:13 PM

Yeah, that's true. But where's the fun in that? :smalltongue:

Maugan Ra
2012-10-11, 02:17 PM
Aw, don't take this too hard. I'm sure it won't be too long before Watson, too, is given the opportunity to betray all that is good or true or at least halfway decent for the sake of empty ambition.

...yay?

Still. That was interesting.

horus42
2012-10-11, 02:24 PM
I love Watson. Giving the finger to Malfeas like that was perfect. It reminded me of a time when I was Storytelling a game of Scion, and I stared at one of my players for several seconds before having to ask him, "Did... Did you just say "bitch, please" to Athena?"

sun_tzu
2012-10-11, 02:25 PM
...yay?

Still. That was interesting.

And worrisome.
If we lose Barsoom/the Epsilon Territories on top of Commander Tarkas, I'm not going to be a happy camper. :smallfurious:
Time to blast that Green Sun.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-11, 02:36 PM
Heh. Yeah, it seemed appropriate. Now we might be about to be shot at. A lot.

And stats of the Mercury:
Maneuverability: -2S
Armour: 14L, 20B (And natural hardness of the same)
Hardness: At the moment, the command deck has 20 hardness for bashing and lethal, as the anima circuits make use of Watson's own aura.
Weapons: Ten vehicle scale blaster rifles (Damage 12L), and six rail guns (as sniper rifles, damage 15L). About half of these can be trained on any one target.

Health Levels: Undamaged x 15, Moderate x10, Crippled x5, Incapacitated x 10

And in Watson's hands, the general dodge DV of the ship is a total of (Dexterity + piloting + Maneuverability)/2, which comes to 6.

sun_tzu
2012-10-11, 02:37 PM
Hm. Can the guns be controlled from the bridge? Berger's Firearms Excellency might apply...
...Not that this is gonna make a huge difference against a fleet this size. Give it your all, Wats!

Maugan Ra
2012-10-11, 02:41 PM
The guns can be remotely controlled, yes. So if Berger would like to chip in, that'd be wonderful. Watson is good with vehicle mounted guns as well, but there's naturally only so many one can control at a time.

(Fortunately, vehicles have no Dash speeds, so the piloting is mostly reflexive. Hence no flurry penalties.)

And I can always escape whenever, using Mirror Shattering Method, but that has the downside that Malfeas will stop chasing us.

(The fact that the star-sized death machine will stop chasing us is considered a downside is why I love these sorts of games).

sun_tzu
2012-10-11, 03:51 PM
Oh come on. 7 successes on 22 dice?!
Hope the Stunt helps out at least.

sun_tzu
2012-10-18, 09:19 AM
So, ah, are we successfully avoiding the attacks of the fleet, or... ^^'

horus42
2012-10-19, 12:03 AM
Oh, I was waiting for Watson to apply his stunt dice before I responded. Unless he already did and I missed it.

sun_tzu
2012-10-19, 12:13 AM
Oh, I was waiting for Watson to apply his stunt dice before I responded. Unless he already did and I missed it.

If the only thing holding the game back is a roll, I think it's all right for the Storyteller to roll it himself. ^^'

horus42
2012-10-19, 12:16 AM
If the only thing holding the game back is a roll, I think it's all right for the Storyteller to roll it himself. ^^'

Fair enough. I'll take care of it.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-21, 12:09 AM
A plan, I has one! Now to see if it works. Because otherwise we're screwed.

Incidentally, how are we doing on the xp front so far? If I'm going to learn Sidereal martial arts and break reality, I need to know these things :smalltongue:

sun_tzu
2012-10-21, 02:59 AM
I share the curiosity re:XP.
Meanwhile, Berger is trying to give Malfeas a nasty little surprise for the upcoming battle, assuming Watson's plan works... ^^'

(I kinda thought the earlier roll with its 11 successes could kick whatever was hacking us out, but apparently not. Ah well.)

Maugan Ra
2012-10-21, 03:03 AM
Excellencies are wonderful things, aren't they? For those times when you can't afford to fail the roll. Sadly, Sidereals have a limit of how many dice they can add equal to their Essence, which rather limits the effective possibilities.

That said, the second excellency only counts each success as one dice added, and they do get the Fateful excellency to succeed with everything, so it's usually good enough.

And I'm not too sure if my plan will work, mostly because Ligier in this is a program type thing. Still, in theory it should remove the computer from around the program, leaving it as little more than random energy in space, but I don't know. Also handy for boarding operations.

I must try and invest in some of the other Sail charms, though. Walls of Ash and Salt, in particular, would prevent anything from Malfeas' forces boarding the Mercury unless they were higher essence than Watson. Which would cut out all the Blood Apes etc.

horus42
2012-10-21, 10:47 PM
Hm... I'm debating what to do here. On the one hand, what Watson did should have ejected Ligier from the ship. But Berger's plan to give Malfeas cancer is awesome in its delicious irony.

As for xp... I feel like you two have been through a lot so far. So... take 7 xp for now, and more to come after the ambush.

sun_tzu
2012-10-22, 02:35 AM
Hm... I'm debating what to do here. On the one hand, what Watson did should have ejected Ligier from the ship. But Berger's plan to give Malfeas cancer is awesome in its delicious irony.

So what's the problem? I was working on the assumption that Berger double-times to finish what she does before Ligier is fully out. :smallwink:
(For the record, I'm not expecting Berger's little virus to really hurt Malfeas - if it were that easy, the Stellar Intelligences wouldn't have been much of a threat - but she's trying to give him an extra handicap for the duration of the incoming ambush battle.)

Maugan Ra
2012-10-22, 03:02 AM
Yay, xp! Quick question - do I use the Sidereal training times/costs, or the standard Solar ones?

I kinda want to save up and see about upgrading my essence, if only because that's how I can have enough to start getting Sidereal Martial Arts. But that, of course, would require me to go and spend three months contemplating fate and the concept of journeys or something. Which is a little hard to do in the middle of a war.

sun_tzu
2012-10-22, 03:05 AM
I figure I'm also saving for Essence 3 - can't get Infinite Firearms Mastery without it, after all.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-22, 03:35 AM
Yeah, but at least rising to Essence 3 is instant.

Then again, maybe we can win this ambush, and thus have some free time to go upgrading. Though I'm hoping the Empire brings a lot of ships. We'll bloody well need them.

horus42
2012-10-22, 10:07 AM
Oh, well then there's no problem at all with that plan. :smallbiggrin:

And I feel like it would just be easier to use the Solar training times. As for the coming ambush, if you do win, there might just be a lull, so that could work out well. Let you spend your xp, and maybe do some small missions to earn more, and beef up for the next encounter with Malfeas.

sun_tzu
2012-10-22, 10:15 AM
Woot! Another 3-die 3-success stunt! Do these count for XP?
I'll be taking the 6 motes, and getting a total of 8 successes. Hope the distraction Berger set up were effective in making this a "surprise attack". :smallbiggrin:

sun_tzu
2012-10-22, 10:18 AM
Er, also, should we be doing something? It's not like you need rolls from us...I think? ^^'

horus42
2012-10-22, 10:38 AM
*whistles innocently* :smallredface:

Yeah, it should be my turn. I'll get another post up in just a moment.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-22, 12:39 PM
Do not belittle Watson's endurance. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I reckon I can keep us alive for that long. Especially if Malfeas wants us reasonably intact so it can recover the schematics. Hell, Watson could easily get us away at any moment, so long as he has five motes remaining. Right now, he's more concerned with staying just ahead of Malfeas long enough to get us to the ambush point. Go too slow, and we get caught. Go too fast, and Malfeas might abandon the chase. It's a delicate line to walk...

sun_tzu
2012-10-26, 11:10 AM
Ergh. Rerolling:
[roll0]

sun_tzu
2012-10-26, 11:16 AM
15 successes, not including Stunts? :smalleek:
This is the kind of War roll Creed would feel envy for.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-26, 11:16 AM
That's 15 successes by my count. Very nice.

Also, I should have mentioned this earlier, but with the scenes so far, I'm establishing an Intimacy of:

Because there are some things you can't do together without becoming friends and/or allies. Deliberately antagonizing a Steller Intelligence with its accompanying fleet is, I think, one of them.

Now, time to fly like a maniac.

sun_tzu
2012-10-26, 11:19 AM
Also, I should have mentioned this earlier, but with the scenes so far, I'm establishing an Intimacy of:

Because there are some things you can't do together without becoming friends and/or allies. Deliberately antagonizing a Steller Intelligence with its accompanying fleet is, I think, one of them.

Consider it reciprocal. ;)
Commander Shepard needs her Joker, after all. :smallbiggrin:

horus42
2012-10-26, 11:20 AM
...wow. I'm really impressed with that roll. Looks like someone wants you lot to succeed here today. :smalltongue:

Maugan Ra
2012-10-26, 11:49 AM
Well, I do work for Fate itself :smalltongue:

I'm picturing this working rather like those Bullet Hell games. Complete with giant boss ship at the end - in this case, a green star surrounded by continent sized plates of brass. And we're doing our best to make it angry and distracted,

There had better be bloody medals for this one :smallwink:

Maugan Ra
2012-10-26, 09:46 PM
Well, this is probably a horrible idea. I'm relying on the possibility of jumping into Mirror Shattering Method if we really need to escape, and the hope that it won't annihilate us outright with a single blast.

This probably won't help too much, but it's that or let Malfeas tear apart the entire Fleet. So hey, look at me I'm a distraction!

sun_tzu
2012-10-27, 03:46 AM
No way in Hell Berger is allowing Malfeas to destroy the Imperial Navy.
Hm. Hope that virus does something..., since apparently our gigantic rolls on the last action accomplished didly squat... :smalleek:

horus42
2012-10-27, 10:30 PM
No way in Hell Berger is allowing Malfeas to destroy the Imperial Navy.
Hm. Hope that virus does something..., since apparently our gigantic rolls on the last action accomplished didly squat... :smalleek:

It's not that they didn't achieve anything, it's that I was building for it to go somewhere, and then Watson went elsewhere. I should have just done the whole thing in one post. :smallredface:

Maugan Ra
2012-10-28, 08:07 AM
And what would the world be like if your players did as you expected? :smalltongue:

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting?

horus42
2012-10-29, 09:23 AM
Honestly, I wasn't quite sure what you were going to do. But what I had in mind for your two hugely successful rolls would have involved severely crippling the Malfean fleet.

sun_tzu
2012-10-29, 09:27 AM
Honestly, I wasn't quite sure what you were going to do. But what I had in mind for your two hugely successful rolls would have involved severely crippling the Malfean fleet.

Well, yes. That's kind of what we're trying to do. :smalltongue:

horus42
2012-10-29, 09:34 AM
Well, yes. That's kind of what we're trying to do. :smalltongue:

Yeah... :smallredface: Hindsight is 20/20, after all. I should have just made the whole thing in one post, rather than trying to draw it out for drama's sake.

sun_tzu
2012-10-29, 09:38 AM
Yeah... :smallredface: Hindsight is 20/20, after all. I should have just made the whole thing in one post, rather than trying to draw it out for drama's sake.

Well, some good has come out of the drawing out. It's given us an opportunity to replay a memorable moment of the Battle of Endor. :smallwink:

horus42
2012-11-01, 08:46 PM
So, is this another of the "you guys are waiting on me to post while I'm waiting on you to post" sort of thing?

sun_tzu
2012-11-02, 02:04 AM
I'm waiting for either you or Maugan Ra. :smalltongue:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-02, 08:48 AM
Heh. I'm mostly waiting to see if Malfeas swats us from the sky. Space. Whatever.

horus42
2012-11-02, 09:58 AM
Oh, that makes sense. Since the last post was Berger talking to Watson, I was waiting for his response before I did anything else.

sun_tzu
2012-11-04, 05:20 PM
...OK, if we pull this off? The brass had better shower us in orichalcum decorations. :smalleek:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-04, 05:37 PM
Horus might want to put more things into a single post here, I think. Just to avoid us altering our plans constantly. So... Watson intends to fly right at Malfeas. If the star looks to be trying to get out of the way, he'll fly as close to the surface as the shields can withstand, staying too close for Malfeas to shoot at us accurately. Keep the Stellar Intelligence distracted, possibly by looking as though we're trying to escape again if Malfeas seems to be going back after the fleet.

If Malfeas doesn't move, then at the last possible second Watson activates Mirror-shattering Method and flies straight past/through it. Similar tactics to be used if Malfeas attempts to deploy tractor beams or something.

Using that, it should be possible for Horus to work out how the situation develops. Ideally, we can keep Malfeas out of the current fight and let the Fleet destroy a fair portion of his forces - he'll likely have to bring some other ships in to get to us this close. Like how the Death Star had to launch fighters.

... We're flying a frigate at ludicrous speeds close to the surface of an angry star/city, while all around us an interstellar battle is being fought between tens of thousands of other ships. This is a good game...

sun_tzu
2012-11-04, 05:41 PM
Indeed. Very much so. :smallbiggrin:

sun_tzu
2012-11-04, 06:05 PM
Also: A classification of capital ships (...which our Storyteller may choose to borrow from or completely ignore. Just stuff I've been thinking about):

Captain Dohack's Guide to Military Starships

"Well, everybody knows what a fighter is. Small craft, one pilot, flies across the battlefield and shoots things up. Some of them aren't even designed to get very far away from their carrier ship, and can't operate in an atmosphere. Others are...fancy stuff, so to speak.

Now, corvettes are the smallest ships for which you need a working crew. The smallest ones measure 30 yards, but 50 is more common. They're mostly there to patrol systems - you can build a lot of them cheap, so they can cover lots of space.

Frigates tend to be more useful in actual battles. They tend to measure some 100 yards, plus-minus. Pretty much every military force worth considering has its share of frigates.

Cruisers are where people really start thinking of the ship as being 'capital'. 300 to 500 yards, usually - many a planet have one or two cruiser as their central defense. Genuine mobile army outposts, that can keep their own fighter squadron in their hangar and serve to coordinate operations.

Destroyers - or dreadnoughts, depending on who you ask - are the big league. The kind of ship that can easily reach a kilometer in length. The massive military base that can fly, bomb a country from orbit, carry armies, and transport a small fleet in its hangar. In the fringe world, nations that have one or more destroyers are the local powers. Even for the Imperial Navy, losing a destroyer or building a new one isn't something that goes unnoticed.

And then there's titans. Legendary ships measured in miles. Every single one a terror that reshapes the balance of power in any galactic sector it shows up in. The Central Empire has less of these than a human can count on his fingers, and hasn't commissioned any new one in over two centuries - even for the few nations that have the tech for it, they're just too expensive to build."

horus42
2012-11-05, 04:12 PM
Also: A classification of capital ships (...which our Storyteller may choose to borrow from or completely ignore. Just stuff I've been thinking about):

Captain Dohack's Guide to Military Starships

"Well, everybody knows what a fighter is. Small craft, one pilot, flies across the battlefield and shoots things up. Some of them aren't even designed to get very far away from their carrier ship, and can't operate in an atmosphere. Others are...fancy stuff, so to speak.

Now, corvettes are the smallest ships for which you need a working crew. The smallest ones measure 30 yards, but 50 is more common. They're mostly there to patrol systems - you can build a lot of them cheap, so they can cover lots of space.

Frigates tend to be more useful in actual battles. They tend to measure some 100 yards, plus-minus. Pretty much every military force worth considering has its share of frigates.

Cruisers are where people really start thinking of the ship as being 'capital'. 300 to 500 yards, usually - many a planet have one or two cruiser as their central defense. Genuine mobile army outposts, that can keep their own fighter squadron in their hangar and serve to coordinate operations.

Destroyers - or dreadnoughts, depending on who you ask - are the big league. The kind of ship that can easily reach a kilometer in length. The massive military base that can fly, bomb a country from orbit, carry armies, and transport a small fleet in its hangar. In the fringe world, nations that have one or more destroyers are the local powers. Even for the Imperial Navy, losing a destroyer or building a new one isn't something that goes unnoticed.

And then there's titans. Legendary ships measured in miles. Every single one a terror that reshapes the balance of power in any galactic sector it shows up in. The Central Empire has less of these than a human can count on his fingers, and hasn't commissioned any new one in over two centuries - even for the few nations that have the tech for it, they're just too expensive to build."

Ooh, I really like this. Definitely using it.

As for the next post, it will most likely be longer than usual.

sun_tzu
2012-11-05, 06:12 PM
In a similar vein, then:

From the words of Architect-Emperor Sonidus:

"I have always said that, to measure a nation's power, you must look at its mega-scale engineering.

Only primitive, technologically-retarded worlds have no space stations whatsoever. But a space station a few hundred yards in size, a mere hangar for passing spaceships, can hardly be called a mega-structure. Far more interesting are the O'Neill cylinders - the stations miles in length that can and do house entire cities, with room to spare for natural parks. Colonize a planet if you will, cover it in skyscrappers, terraform its neighbors and moons - in the end, an expanding civilization must always rely upon orbital colonies to truly expand. O'Neill cylinders may be a rarity and a sign of prosperity in the more chaotic regions of the Far Reaches, but in the more advanced areas, and in the heart of the Central Empire, you will find that in some systems, orbital inhabitants sometimes outnumber their ground-bound brethren.
A typical space colony will house between 2 and 10 million inhabitants. However, some architects are more ambitious. Sonidus's Throne, among my crowning achievements, is a marvel over 90 miles long and 20 miles in diameter, with its mountains, forests, lakes, enough room for fifty million of my subjects to live comfortably, and enough defenses to fend of several dreadnoughts working in tandem. And yet, even my marvelous feat of engineering pales before the legendary Cosmopolis, the ancient city the size of a large moon that houses over a billion - is it any wonder that the Son of Heaven invested so much in preventing its secession?

Of course, one must actually reach orbit. Spaceships abound...but when you must trade kiloton after kiloton of merchandise between the planetary surface and orbit, then conventional launches become expensive. To achieve prosperity in space, the more advanced planets thus build orbital towers - marvels of engineering that tether the planet's ground to a station in geosynchronous orbit, allowing for elevators to cheaply transport passengers and merchandise all day long. Trade hub worlds will often boast multiple towers - take Nexus VII, which has no less than twelve of them across its equator!

Civilization, of course, requires energy. Some choose to obtain it via nuclear fusion plants. Others prefer the more natural fusion plant that is their respective sun, building solar stations hundreds of miles across in space. But if you seek a true mark of power...if you seek a civilization that truly went all-out in its quest for energy...search for a missing star. A sun that cannot be seen from outside its system. In short, a star entirely surrounded by a colossal array of solar collectors - a Dyson sphere! A single Dyson sphere surrounding an average star will provide all the energy needs of a technologically-advanced fifty-planet empire, and still leave them a surplus to export. It is only civilizations with extremely advanced, energy-consuming technology that can fully exploit the output of the Dyson spheres - even the Central Empire has not built any since the Malfean War, though it holds on preciously to the twenty or so that have remained.

There is, perhaps, one sort of project that can rival the Dyson Sphere in scope: The ringworld. A flat ring, with a radius measured in tens of millions of miles, rotating around a star fast enough for the centrifugal force to maintain a semblance of gravity on the ring's inner side. The ringworld, then, is the ultimate space station - providing a habitable surface that dwarves any planet. Ringworlds are the stuff of legends, obviously. The only one confirmed to exist (and to still exist) is Valhalla-Macron, whose population - divided into dozens of nations - numbers over 4 trillions at the latest count. Is it any wonder, then, that even as politically disunited as it is, Valhalla-Micron has been able to act as a counterbalance to the influence of the Central Empire in an entire galactic sector, extending its sway and protection over hundreds of...planets?

And then, of course, there's the other kind of mega-structure. The kind that moves. The giant starship.
I would not qualify a mere dreadnought to be a mega-structure. No, any military ship massive enough to deserve that appellation ought to be called a titan. And some, indeed, are wonders to behold, each one powerful enough to lay waste to a planet's surface within hours.
But not all mega-ships are military in nature - there are a few legendary 'world-ships'. Perhaps the best-known example is the Exodash - a ship over fifty miles in length, housing two billion people nearly a thousand floors. The Exodash was built to evacuate a planet whose sun was about to go nova, and it accomplished its task admirably. One might wonder why such a large population has remained in such cramped conditions, but the Exodash has become a merchant nation in its own right, travelling from system to system as it does."

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 03:43 PM
Yay, 3-dice stunt! I'll take the xp bonus for that one, I think.

Because yeah. Chosen of Journeys, bitches. We might not specialise in killing people, or working sorcery, or even seducing the pants off the nearest beautiful woman (or man, depending)... but this is a game of space combat, and this is what we do best.

Especially when done in PbP format by someone who aced his creative writing course, back in the day. Lots of fun.

sun_tzu
2012-11-07, 03:44 PM
Yay, 3-dice stunt! I'll take the xp bonus for that one, I think.
Wait, we don't automatically get XP bonuses for 3-dice stunts?

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 03:46 PM
I was always under the impression that it was an option, along with mote recovery or willpower regen. Pretty sure it's not automatic.

horus42
2012-11-07, 04:00 PM
I looked it up, and according to the Core Book, the player can choose to take 6 motes, 1 wp, or 1 xp.

sun_tzu
2012-11-07, 04:03 PM
I looked it up, and according to the Core Book, the player can choose to take 6 motes, 1 wp, or 1 xp.

Oh man. And here I thought I was gonna be raking XP for this session. XD

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 04:11 PM
Well, can't have everything, I suppose. Now to see if Malfeas retreats before I run out of the ability to keep up with the mad stunts. Hopefully he will, and then just send Infernal assassins after us to obtain the data or something.

It's a fun day when Infernal death-squads would be the least troublesome possibility...

sun_tzu
2012-11-07, 04:13 PM
Well, can't have everything, I suppose. Now to see if Malfeas retreats before I run out of the ability to keep up with the mad stunts. Hopefully he will, and then just send Infernal assassins after us to obtain the data or something.

It's a fun day when Infernal death-squads would be the least troublesome possibility...

Heh, yeah.
Meanwhile, Berger is doing her part to make sure the demon starfleet is having an epicly bad day. :smallbiggrin:

sun_tzu
2012-11-07, 04:19 PM
Also: Should I continue with my "science and technology in Heaven's Reach" entries? Got a few more ideas, but obviously whether to use them is up to the Storyteller... :smallredface:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 04:27 PM
Heh, yeah.
Meanwhile, Berger is doing her part to make sure the demon starfleet is having an epicly bad day. :smallbiggrin:

I'm fairly sure that's in your contract :smalltongue:

Also, are we... are we now flying along with a dramatic nuclear explosion at our backs?

"This is the captain. For reasons of cool, no one is to look at the explosion. Thank you."

sun_tzu
2012-11-07, 04:29 PM
I'm fairly sure that's in your contract :smalltongue:

Also, are we... are we now flying along with a dramatic nuclear explosion at our backs?

"This is the captain. For reasons of cool, no one is to look at the explosion. Thank you."

Pretty much. Berger timed it so the explosion would happen right after our ship is just far enough not to get scorched...so our pursuers take the brunt of the H-bomb.

horus42
2012-11-08, 04:19 AM
Also: Should I continue with my "science and technology in Heaven's Reach" entries? Got a few more ideas, but obviously whether to use them is up to the Storyteller... :smallredface:

Go ahead, I really like what you've done so far!

Maugan Ra
2012-11-08, 04:56 AM
Yes, I become more cautious in victory. I want my medals and cake, and getting killed now trying to cut off a giant angry star from retreat would be embarrassing.

Please don't bring me up on insubordination charges or anything. That'd be rude :smallwink:

sun_tzu
2012-11-08, 04:58 AM
Yes, I become more cautious in victory. I want my medals and cake, and getting killed now trying to cut off a giant angry star from retreat would be embarrassing.

Please don't bring me up on insubordination charges or anything. That'd be rude :smallwink:

Heh. Not this time, at least. :smallcool:

sun_tzu
2012-11-08, 05:42 AM
From a lecture on energy given by Professor Sotorex on planet Flone III (following the conquest of the Flone system by the Darinian Empire):

"All right, people. From what I've seen of your civilization, it's clear that you're technologically backward. Still stuck with plutonium as your main source of energy, barely got one tiny permanent base on one of your moons...If you're going to be part of the larger galaxy, then there are things you need to understand. And one of those things is energy.

Energy is what modern civilization runs on. It's power. It's the ability to get **** done. A civilization with windmills will beat one that relies on musclepower. A civilization with coal-powered steam engines will beat windmills. Nuclear power beats fossil fuels. Without energy, you're nothing.

There are two important technological factors: Production and storage. Let's look at the latter first:

The cheapest form of energy storage used by galactic civilization is energol: A chemical compound which, when incinerated, breaks down and generates an intense electric current. Energol makes for a far more efficient fuel than your crude oil-based solutions, improving energy-to-mass ratio by nearly an order of magnitude.

Still, energol is far too limited, and only used by those who cannot afford better. Most of the galaxy, in its day-to-day life, prefers the use of lux batteries: Special crystals designed with nanotechnology that can, in effect, trap light inside them. A lux battery can contain a colossal amount of photons which will simply keep bouncing inside it forever...or until very precise manipulations allow a small number of them out, so that they can be harvested for power. This means that even a small lux battery can store immense amounts of energy with a mass and volume that remain almost nil. A hovercar with a lux battery the size of my fist can theoretically keep working for centuries without refueling, if enough photons have been stored inside it.

Lux batteries might seem like the perfect form of storage, but they do have one flaw: Limited output. While you can put immense amounts of energy inside them, you can only get it out at a limited rate. Good enough for the daily needs of your car and electronics, not good enough to power starships and cities. For that, there's amat.
Amat is a special compound. At the atomic level, each amat molecule is made of a particle, its anti-particle, and a bridge of exotic matter connecting these two. Under the very specific conditions of an amat engine, the 'bridge' is removed, and the particle/anti-particle pair is free to annihilate itself and transform into pure energy. This 100% conversion means that a single gram of amat can provide as much energy as four thousand tons of coal! This makes amat the most efficient form of energy usage on a global scale. Nations, starships...all use amat as fuel. The downside, of course, is that amat is expensive, requiring a lot of energy to create in the first place!

Which brings us to energy generation. I will not waste time on primitive sources such as fossil fuels, wind power or nuclear fission. No, these are the advanced sources:

First on the list, of course, is solar power. Not the kind you can get by placing solar panels on a planetary surface, no - I'm talking about the placement of massive solar stations in space. Millions, billions of square miles covered in solar collectors. No day and night cycle. You can, technology allow, place collectors far closer to your sun than your own homeworld. The stars provide a near-infinite source of energy, the epitome of which are the legendary Dyson spheres!
Solar power has a flaw, however: Since the stations, by necessity, measure between thousands and millions of miles, they are by nature hard to defend, and make tempting military targets. That's where fusion comes in.

Nuclear fusion, of course, relies on the same physical principles as solar power...but instead of collecting the light of a distant star, you generate your own inside a thermonuclear power station. More expensive than solar power...but so much easier to defend. Some of the largest starships out there, such as destroyers, even have their own fusion station, rather than relying entirely on amat reserves.

There are ways to obtain energy, ironically enough, from black holes. They...are none of your concern.

Zero point energy is an entirely different matter. It takes the energy of virtual particles that pop in and out of reality, and turns it to real use. Theoretically, it is an infinite source of energy.
In practice, it simply cannot be made in industrial quantity. Zero point generators are microscopic machines, generating power on a scale that fits their size. It is simply not economically viable to power a civilization with them. They do have one important use, however - as microscopic generators, they make nanotechnology possible. Every nanomachine carries its own zero point generator, allowing it to function eternally.

One last source of energy is what the masses refer to as 'cosmic power', what the religious refer to as 'shinmaic power', and the professionals refer to as 'creative vortexes'. This extremely advanced technology, rare since the Malfean War, involves calling upon the very forces of creation to create an orb containing its own micro-universe of possibility. Within the shinmaic vortex, the laws oh physics are under the machine's control, effectively turning it into an endless source of immense energy. A single generator of this sort can compete with the energy production abilities of a Dyson sphere...but alas, almost none are left in this modern age."

sun_tzu
2012-11-09, 09:05 AM
Hm. Well, looks like we're headed for the end of the battle. A few thoughts:
-Malfeas has threatened both Barsoom and the Epsilon Territories. Berger isn't going to take chances with either.
-From the OOC sound of it, we're gonna get some downtime before the next phase. I'm hoping to get enough XP to raise Essence...We'll see.
-Berger and Watson have been committing balls-to-the-walls acts of extreme heroism and saving the goddamn galaxy throughout the scene. If the brass has any sense, these two have just gotten the ultimate career-building moment.

But of course, the war isn't done. I'm trying to figure out how much of a disadvantage the Battle of Barsoom has put Malfeas at. Let's see...
-We made a corvette ram into a frigate, destroying both. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14039761&postcount=180)
-We gave Malfeas a virus that may or may not have affected the outcome of the battle. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14085523&postcount=200)
-Blew up several pursuing ships. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14102501&postcount=212) Here too. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14118139&postcount=222)
-There was that whole bit where Berger and Watson made ridiculously high rolls in an attempt to lure the Malfean fleet into making itself a nice, easy target for the Imperial Navy, but with the confusion and all, I'm not clear how much effect that had...Though to the very least Watson got two of the big ships to destroy each other. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14121384&postcount=225)
-Perhaps most importantly, kept Malfeas busy chasing them instead of helping the core of his fleet fight the Imperial Navy. Hopefully our colleagues knew what they were doing with this ambush.
-Crashed one of the enemy destroyers into Malfeas. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14133523&postcount=230)
-Tried to get Malfeas to pursue them on a collision path with some of his fleet. Not sure if it worked.
-Knocked an enemy corvette into Malfeas. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14185987&postcount=243)
-Did the same with two frigates. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14186052&postcount=244)
-Caused a nice, big thermonuclear explosion at Malfeas's injured surface, incinerating the pursuing ships. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14186336&postcount=246)

Given the sheer scale of the battle, I'm not sure how much of an effect we had directly...but to the very least, I'm hoping we gave the Imperial Navy the opening it needed to cripple Malfeas's fleet.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-09, 09:14 PM
I should like to direct our illustrious ST's attention to the following backgrounds: Backing (for promotions!), Resources/Salary (for bonuses!) and Reputation (for being mad!)

:smallwink:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-15, 04:11 PM
Horus, man, you around?

sun_tzu
2012-11-15, 04:19 PM
Horus, man, you around?

Been wondering that myself. I sent him an e-mail... :smalleek:

horus42
2012-11-20, 05:28 PM
Oh dang, I'm really sorry you guys. Some unforeseen health issues popped up, and that's why I've been gone for so long. But I'm better now, so we can get it started back up again, if you'd still like to.

sun_tzu
2012-11-20, 05:32 PM
Oh dang, I'm really sorry you guys. Some unforeseen health issues popped up, and that's why I've been gone for so long.

I hope it's not too serious. :smalleek:

But I'm better now, so we can get it started back up again, if you'd still like to.

Huzzah! Let the salvation of the galaxy proceed!

Maugan Ra
2012-11-20, 10:59 PM
Yup, still around. Let's get back on with this!

Medals, remember. Big, shiny medals :smalltongue:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-27, 02:38 PM
So. Now that we've at least concluded the initial section of the campaign, having discovered what Malfeas was after, beaten him to it, slain an Infernal and his demonic assistants, and then proceeded to engage in one of the most absurdly awesome chase/battle scenes I have ever participated in... how much xp do we have? I haven't been noting any of it down so far, and I have all sorts of things I want to buy.

And remember, backgrounds as plot rewards :smallwink:

sun_tzu
2012-11-27, 02:43 PM
I'm hoping I have enough XP to get that 3rd dot of Essence.
But yeah, I'm expecting some Backgrounds out of this. We just saved the goddamn galaxy while the entire Imperial Navy was watching, and we did by playing chicken with an evil Dyson Sphere. We are AWESOME, and the galaxy knows it. :smallcool:

horus42
2012-11-29, 12:13 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how much XP all of that was worth. I mean... it was awesome, to say the least. Certainly one of my more ambitious Storytelling moves. But I loved every minute of it, you two are great.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 12:15 AM
*nods*

Damn straight we are :smalltongue:

But yeah, I'm getting the hang of Exalted now. Never do anything mundane when something awesome is an option.

sun_tzu
2012-11-30, 08:54 AM
All right, time for another lore entry!

From John Atom's Quick-and-Dirty Guide to the Imperial Military:

"Now, obviously, an organisation as far-reaching as the Central Empire's military needs its own hierarchy. Ranks will vary depending on sectors, on corps...but if you want the quick-and-dirty explanation of what an Imperial rank means, this is the chapter for you:

At the bottom of the ladder, there's the cadet in the navy, or the private in the ground forces. This is the guy who got drafted, or who joined for a chance at employment and adventure without going through any kind of military school first. They constitute about 90% of the armed forces, and 90% of them will either retire after one or two tours of duties, or get killed in action if they're at the wrong place and time. The rest, generally speaking, get promoted.

Above them comes the Petty Officer and Corporal. These folks rarely come out of military school - rather, they're promoted among privates and cadets who have shown some aptitude and accumulated experience. They're not really in charge of their units, but rather, assist those above them in shepherding the grunts.

The Ensign and the Sergeant hold more genuine authority - the sergeant commands a squad of up to ten soldiers. More often than not, sergeants are former grunts who have been promoted after one or more tours of duty, but several are also awarded the rank after coming out of intensive training.

The Lieutenant is the lowest officer rank. About two-thirds of them come straight out of officer school, while the others are promoted from the lower ranks after notably successful tours of duty. A lieutenant in the ground forces will command a platoon of several dozens soldiers, while a navy lieutenant will be in charge of an important team on a ship - or, if the local navy is understaffed, in command of his own corvette.

The Captain is usually either a former lieutenant who has proven his worth or the graduate of an elite military academy, although grunts who have managed to become captains make for inspiring success stories. On the ground, a captain leads a company of over a hundred soldiers. In space, a captain commands his own corvette, or even a frigate.

The Commodore and the Major either got promoted to their ranks after an impressive tenure as lower officers, or are very, very well-connected. The major leads a battailon of several hundreds of sildiers; the commodore is often in command of a cruiser, or at least a frigate.

The Colonel and the Vice-Admiral are on a level above them. These are the folks who command fleets and armies much of the time. The colonel leads a brigade of thousands of soldiers; the vice-admiral, in addition to his own cruiser (or in rare cases a destroyer), will be in charge of many other ships answering to him.

The Major-Colonel, above the colonel, is what would be called a general in most smaller, single-planet nations: The leader of a legion of tens of thousands of soldiers.

The General and the Admiral are figures of reverence on any planet, except when they're not. The general is in charge of an imperial legion, comprising hundreds of thousands of soldiers - often enough, an entire planetary garrison. The admiral, from his destroyer, will often command the fleet protecting an entire system, or even its neighbors.

The Major-General and the Fleet Admiral are some of the most powerful men and women in the galaxy, and exalted without exception. The major-general leads armies of millions of soldiers across multiple systems, while the Fleet Admiral has several destroyers and the safety of (in most cases) an entire sector under his responsibility.

The Grand General and Grand Admiral answer directly to the Son of Heaven. Each grand general commands armies that could densely populate an entire planet. A grand admiral, often commanding one of the Central Empire's titan ships, commands multiple fleets over numerous imperial sectors. These people decide the fate of countless billions on a daily basis.

Of course, it's more complicated than that. Each rank has its own variations, ranging from sergeant first class to second lieutenant. Members of special operations corps tend to rank differently. But this, ladies and gentlemen, is the quick-and-dirty explanation!"

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 10:56 AM
"And then there's the Sidereals, and no one has been able to get a straight answer out of those guys regarding their rank structure for centuries" :smalltongue:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-06, 05:05 PM
So. We have some free time, presumably for training purposes. And promoting Berger to Colonel presumably can be reflected in an increased Backing or something. Beyond that, how long is the time off, and how much xp or other general rewards do we have access to?

Because I have ways to master Sidereal Martial Arts, even with the essence 5 cap for Heaven's Reach. And that makes me laugh madly. The main limit thus becomes how long we can spend working on it.

Because hey, Berger is apparently of the sort of rank where she commands armies and fleets now. A longer Timeskip would allow us to properly detail how we work on things like that... and a fleet commander needs a flagship, after all :smalltongue:

sun_tzu
2012-12-06, 05:09 PM
If the promotion is Backing, I imagine being decorated, ultra-famous war heroes is Influence. Dunno if the Command background has a place here. And I took the "upgrade" line to mean the Mercury was going to be turned into an Artifact ship (...which I figured would be able to take, one-on-one, on a non-Artifact ship of the higher size category).
But yeah, I'm curious about XP and the such. :smallbiggrin:

horus42
2012-12-06, 11:05 PM
I've thought for a while about how much xp I'm giving the two of you. I'm thinking... 15.

As for the backgrounds and upgrading the Mercury to an artifact ship, you're absolutely right. Berger now has higher levels of Backing and Influence, to reflect her change in rank.

I'm still working on just how much the ship is going to change, and it will probably be a few years before the next really major plot point occurs, but you'll have a few small missions to help beef you up for it in the intervening time.

sun_tzu
2012-12-07, 01:45 AM
I've thought for a while about how much xp I'm giving the two of you. I'm thinking... 15.
Sounds good. +1 for the 3-dice stunt?

As for the backgrounds and upgrading the Mercury to an artifact ship, you're absolutely right. Berger now has higher levels of Backing and Influence, to reflect her change in rank.
Yay!
How much higher? And I'm guessing Watson probably gets higher Backing with the Bureau of Journeys?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-07, 06:53 AM
Excellent. Lots of xp, so I'm sitting on 16 of it thanks to the 3-dice stunt. I've... now got to decide what to buy, if anything. Because if I want to aim for Sidereal Martial Arts, I'll need at least essence 4, and that will cost 24 experience to get. Hmm.

sun_tzu
2012-12-07, 06:56 AM
Excellent. Lots of xp, so I'm sitting on 16 of it thanks to the 3-dice stunt. I've... now got to decide what to buy, if anything. Because if I want to aim for Sidereal Martial Arts, I'll need at least essence 4, and that will cost 24 experience to get. Hmm.

Don't forget the 7XP we got earlier for Barsoom.
...Almost enough. Unless the Storyteller authorizes XP debt for something like that.

I'll be taking Essence 3...then, dunno. Lacking that 1XP I need for a Charm...

Maugan Ra
2012-12-07, 07:18 AM
Ah, I actually was forgetting that. OK, so 23 experience... Hmm. A point of experience debt wouldn't be so bad, if our ST will allow it.

That said, after that, I'll start buying up the rest of Violet Bier of Sorrows. Because you can't learn a Sidereal Form-type charm until you've mastered at least one Celestial style. And Violet Bier is worth it on it's own, with the errata - my hands are Starmetal Daiklaives!

horus42
2012-12-07, 11:14 AM
As said before, I'm pretty lenient, so I'd be ok with a point of xp debt.

I'm thinking one dot of Backing to each of you, at the very least. Probably two.

sun_tzu
2012-12-07, 11:30 AM
Well, keep in mind that Berger currently has two dots in backing, and Watson 3...

horus42
2012-12-07, 11:34 AM
Oh, good point... just one, then.

sun_tzu
2012-12-07, 11:35 AM
Oh, good point... just one, then.

Heh. Well, what is the level of Backing supposed to represent, concretely?

horus42
2012-12-07, 11:37 AM
...still working on that. :smallredface:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-07, 03:27 PM
Well, according to the book, the fact that Watson now has Backing (Central Empire) 4 places him only a couple of rungs down from the actual leadership - so presumably that makes him a rank or so below the head of the Division of Journeys. Prestigious, but technically it does absolutely nothing.

I have something of a suggestion - make it work vaguely like the Liege background available to the Abyssals. So we can use our official ranks to call upon Resources or Mentors of equal level, and potentially request temporary loan of things like Command, Spies, Artifact or Allies. Might swap out 'Spies' for 'Influence' depending on what makes the most sense. That allows our accomplishments to actually generate a reasonable mechanical reward beyond a shiny background dot - I always thought Backing should actually do something concrete anyway.

And excellent, I'll use that xp to kick Watson up to Essence 4. Which does help reflect his new status in the Division.

sun_tzu
2012-12-07, 03:34 PM
If that one dot of XP debt is allowed, Berger will be taking a 3rd dot of Essence, and Infinite Firearms Mastery. :smallcool:

horus42
2012-12-08, 11:03 AM
Ooh... I like the Liege idea, let's do that!

As for the xp, since you're both only one point off from things that you want, take one bonus xp as an early Christmas gift from me. :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-08, 01:39 PM
Yay presents!

And there, Watson is fulfilling his Sidereal duty and making with the technobabble. :smalltongue:

horus42
2012-12-08, 01:51 PM
Heh. Assuming of course that Demetri actually IS Berger's Lunar Mate, and not just a stalker who manipulated events to receive a Lunar Exaltation and made the whole thing up.

Only time will tell! (cue dramatic music)

Maugan Ra
2012-12-08, 03:46 PM
And since Watson is a senior Sidereal agent now, per that Backing rating, I feel I can get away with designing allied characters. Senior agents for the Mercury, to fill in the roles required by the bridge crew - I'm pilot and captain, but we need people like a science officer!

(Part of this is, I admit, because there are only two of us, and we'll need some sort of support characters to do the things we can't. Also, for those situations when sending the pilot on the away mission makes little sense...)

Fortunately, Lords of Creation has rules for making different characters at different levels of the Ally background. I've just got to decide whether to go with other Sidereals, or perhaps a couple of Dragon-Blooded. Hmm...

sun_tzu
2012-12-08, 04:05 PM
All right, so Berger's new Backing with the Imperial Army is 3, if I understand correctly. What level of Influence does "widely known as the savior of the fathermucking galaxy" translate into?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-08, 05:51 PM
I'd recommend the 'Reputation' background for that, actually, from the Dragon-Blooded book. Probably at rating 4, since that's what's listed as being appropriate for 'tales of your deeds have spread across the Realm'. It would add 4 dice to any test, mostly social, where being known for the Battle of Malfeas would be an asset - intimidating pirates, perhaps, or getting a military person to take you seriously.

Of course, it also imposes a -4 on certain tests, like trying to go unnoticed on shore leave inside the Empire...

Anyway. I'm trying to decide what would be suitable for bridge officers and the like. I'm leaning towards a pair of fellow Sidereals, both of slightly lower rank than Watson and attached to his command with the aim of providing a full and useful staff for Colonel Berger.
- Aria, a Chosen of Secrets, to work as an intelligence operative and science officer. Because chances are we'll need access to specialized knowledge at some point, and no bridge crew is complete without a Spock character.
- Smith, a Chosen of Endings, to work as an executive officer (because the assassin caste get Bureaucracy, which amuses me) and discrete combat support. And because understated black humour is always a valuable commodity.

Together with Watson the Chosen of Journey's, that'll give Berger a well-rounded support staff (Sidereals are pretty much designed to be advisors) and it will let Horus pose us with some more substantial (and varied) threats without worrying if he's going to overdo it and kill us all.

I'd recommend that Berger dip into the possible Allies granted by her background and recruit a Dragon-Blooded or two. Because you'll need an adjutant, and fire support never goes amiss.

(This can all be folded into a sort of task force or HQ for Colonel Berger, who is basically meant to be commanding armies here.)

horus42
2012-12-10, 10:14 PM
That sounds about right. Are you wanting me to stat up the Sidereals, or would you like to do it yourself?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-10, 10:15 PM
I might as well do it myself. Properly update Watson's character sheet at the same time.

horus42
2012-12-11, 01:19 PM
Sounds good to me.

sun_tzu
2012-12-11, 01:35 PM
So, I guess I'll be setting Backing at 3 and Reputation at 4.

Hm. Two years? I thought we were getting a couple of months...Berger would have been using that time to try and get assigned to duties like clearing out pirates, fighting off Infernal forces, generally doing the sort of stuff she has no moral quandaries about.

Hm...In standard Exalted, PCs get some XP for the passage of time (10/year at low levels). Does that apply here? XD

horus42
2012-12-11, 01:37 PM
Huh, I didn't know that, about the xp per year. Um... We'll see. :smalltongue:

sun_tzu
2012-12-11, 01:39 PM
Huh, I didn't know that, about the xp per year. Um... We'll see. :smalltongue:

Page 275 of the Core Book, but, your call. ;)

horus42
2012-12-11, 01:52 PM
Well, Exalted is supposed to be a game about everything being turned up to 11, and going all-out in over the top awesomeness, so what the hell?

Take the 10 xp per year. :smallbiggrin:

sun_tzu
2012-12-11, 01:57 PM
Well, Exalted is supposed to be a game about everything being turned up to 11, and going all-out in over the top awesomeness, so what the hell?

Take the 10 xp per year. :smallbiggrin:

Woot!
OK, instead of taking Infinite Firearms Mastery, I guess I'll be taking Essence 4. Which leaves 4 XP points...Hm...I'll think about what to do with them.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-11, 03:14 PM
Ah, excellent, even more xp. Now, what to spend it on... decisions, decisions...

Sidereal styles are very appealing. But I think I'll go with some upgrades to my current martial arts first. Kick Martial Arts to 5 for the cost of 7xp, raise Dodge to 4 for 5xp, and buy Violet Bier of Sorrows Form for 8xp.

(Sidereal styles will have to wait. Though Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Form shall be mine!)

Maugan Ra
2012-12-11, 06:45 PM
OK, Watson's sheet has been updated for what's happened so far, and I'm presently designing those allies I mentioned. I've made use of some of the Backing to get my hands on some Silken Armour, which presently looks basically like an impecably tailored uniform.

Incidentally, Watson is basically never unarmed now. With Violet Bier of Sorrows, his hands can deal damage as a Starmetal Daiklaive with Overwhelming 6, and with Hollistic Bullet Methodology he can kill you by pointing his fingers and saying 'bang', which is effectively a holdout pistol with Starmetal bonuses. Actually, he can point at one guy and say 'bang', and kill his eight friends standing nearby. I find this kinda hilarious.

Also, question for our ST - should I re-designate the Backing that Watson has into the Five-Score Fellowship or something, to reflect that his rank is among the Sidereals, rather than the Empire as a whole? And related to that, since we're now using Backing as equivalent to Liege, can I retrain some of my now-superfluous backgrounds into other points (or raw experience, either works)?

sun_tzu
2012-12-12, 01:26 AM
I'm wondering what to with my 4 leftover XP points. Get a first dot of Performance? Does Berger need that for speeches?

horus42
2012-12-12, 12:42 PM
Also, question for our ST - should I re-designate the Backing that Watson has into the Five-Score Fellowship or something, to reflect that his rank is among the Sidereals, rather than the Empire as a whole? And related to that, since we're now using Backing as equivalent to Liege, can I retrain some of my now-superfluous backgrounds into other points (or raw experience, either works)?

Yeah, I would say that it should be switched, since you have more pull with the other Sidereals, rather than the Empire as a whole.

As for your backgrounds, you can convert those into xp.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-12, 02:46 PM
Ah, specialist characters - and Sidereal charms as a whole - are very fun to make use of. Lots of successes...

Maugan Ra
2012-12-13, 06:49 PM
And this is why the Sidereals are thought of as the Viziers. Playing devil's advocate and making sure you have a plan and a well-thought out defense is basically what their duty entails.

sun_tzu
2012-12-14, 10:19 AM
Gotta say...This whole thing is actually a genuinely difficult dilemma. I'm genuinely not sure what we should do.

horus42
2012-12-14, 10:27 AM
Then that means I'm doing my job!

Maugan Ra
2012-12-14, 05:41 PM
I was intending to bring a Chosen of Serenity on board in place of the Chosen of Endings, but I'm honestly not sure. This is the problem with Sidereals, every caste is very distinct...

Also, I re-read the Heaven's Reach stuff and found that Sidereals still operate under the effects of Arcane Fate. So no one remembers Watson as being famous... unless he dons the Resplendent Destiny of James Watson, War Hero!

I love Sidereals. So much.

(Also trying to decide on what supernatural martial art styles my assistants should study. Because the bonus xp from trading in useless backgrounds means that Watson was able to completely master Violet Bier of Sorrows style, which is very nasty. I'm thinking maybe Throne Shadow style for Aria, but I'm not sure about the other. Hmm.)

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 09:42 PM
Currently finishing off the supporting character sheets, decided to stick with a Chosen of Endings in support. Also worked out the martial art style that Smith would have - namely, Righteous Devil Style. Because it's awesome, and the introduction of firearms charms makes it even better.

And yes, given the grey uniform, professional demeanor and nigh-supernatural firearms abilities, he is basically a Grammaton Cleric. I care not.

Also, can we get some idea of how the Mercury has been upgraded, even if it's just in broad terms?

sun_tzu
2012-12-16, 05:22 AM
OK, here's a list of what Berger is trying to get for herself (I'll leave what the Sidereals get up to Watson :smallwink:):
-An Orichalcum version of Yoroi Rapid-Response Armor (3-dot Artifact in Wonders of the Lost Age. Do you need the description?)
-An Orichalcum Grand Shellcaster (it requires greater strength than Berger has, but she's looking for power armor that adds to the user's strength).
-A couple Hearthstones to fit into the Shellcaster - her first choices would be Windhands Gemstone (assuming it works against modern weapons as well as arrows), Guardian Gem, or failing that Stone of Quick Thought.
...Yeah, I'd considered trying for 4 and 5-dot artifacts, but...

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 09:09 AM
By and large, the Sidereals have what they want already. Watson himself might grab a mundane gun, just for having a backup option, but he can't wear any armour heavier than his silken uniform and still use his martial arts charms.

Smith wields a shellcaster and wears a dragonscale laminate vest under his own uniform, and beyond that, he's mostly fine as well. Aria carries a Wrackstaff. It's not a form weapon of the Throne Shadow style, but most of those moves aren't based around actually attacking anyway, so it's fine. One of the reasons I invited Berger to come join in the practice sparring was so that Aria could use Sifu's Useful Fingers on her. Grants her a point of martial arts, and raises her MDVs by 5 for as long as she keeps the motes committed. Always useful.

Fortunately, most of what Berger is after there falls under allowable requisitions for her Backing rating. Handy, that.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-17, 07:14 PM
So, I'm thinking about the soldiers that we have on-board the Mercury. Technically, Watson can use his pull with the Backing/Command background and have a good 500 elite soldiers stationed aboard, but that seems mildly excessive for a frigate (and for a Sidereal). Thoughts?

Also, do we have any idea how we're going to upload this program to Malfeas? I'd actually almost suggest playing it as a straight diplomatic 'here you go', since Malfeas has little reason to turn it down and we'll probably get killed trying to force it on him/it/whatever. Plus, making a diplomatic visit gives us a chance to speak to folk like Ligier again, and he was a very entertaining conversationalist...

(Also, having checked, the Stellar Intelligences totally do have possible things to offer Sidereals. It's called being an Akuma - all the power of a Primordial charm set, with only the slight downside of having one's free-will overridden. Watson is, naturally, fantastically unlikely to take that offer unless he gets to keep some of his free will.

Or, you know, we screw up and he really isn't given a choice in the matter by the irritated Third Circle demon...)

sun_tzu
2012-12-18, 03:11 AM
So, I'm thinking about the soldiers that we have on-board the Mercury. Technically, Watson can use his pull with the Backing/Command background and have a good 500 elite soldiers stationed aboard, but that seems mildly excessive for a frigate (and for a Sidereal). Thoughts?
Hm...Given the sort of work we're doing, getting elite mortal soldiers would probably just slow us down and recklessly endanger them.
A hundred Dragon-Blooded, though? Could be wise.

Also, do we have any idea how we're going to upload this program to Malfeas? I'd actually almost suggest playing it as a straight diplomatic 'here you go', since Malfeas has little reason to turn it down and we'll probably get killed trying to force it on him/it/whatever. Plus, making a diplomatic visit gives us a chance to speak to folk like Ligier again, and he was a very entertaining conversationalist...
Diplomacy? Bad idea here. If we let Malfeas control the process, he'll just upload whatever he wants from the program, without the parts he doesn't want.
I'm still thinking about how to force this thing on him. ^^'

sun_tzu
2012-12-18, 08:24 AM
Also, another Artifact Berger would be trying to obtain, Storyteller permitting:

Antares Industries Omnitool:
One of the twenty greatest corporations in the galaxy, Antares Industries has ownership of several planets, dozens of orbital colonies, and at least one dreadnought. With over thirty billion employees (including dozens of Dragon-Blooded) and a yearly revenue measured in thousands of trillions of credits, Antares is a leading force in the fields of computing and femtotechnology. It is estimated that 7% of the Central Empire's orichalcum production and 8% of its moonsilver are bought from Antares Industries.
The Omnitool is a long line of femtotech devices that the corporation has been selling at great profit for centuries. The device, small enough to be worn on one's wrist or attached to one's armor, contains a femto-chip with a processing speed of 700 exahertz, comparable to some picotech supercomputers, able to run even highly advanced neural networks and contain the entire Galactopedia. Additionally, its motonic circuit allows it to manipulate Essence following the will of the user, making it the perfect multi-tool. It is no wonder that so many Exalted programmers and mechanics use the Antares Omnitool nowadays.
This is a 2-dot Artifact. It requires 3 Motes to attune, and adds the user's Essence rating to all Lore and Craft rolls.

horus42
2012-12-18, 08:31 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of Dragon-Blooded rather than mortal soldiers as well.

As for the items and such you're planning on receiving, they all fit in with what you can get with your dots of backing, so feel free to take them!

Maugan Ra
2012-12-21, 06:57 PM
Figured I'd go right on ahead and just get this underway...

Maugan Ra
2012-12-21, 07:29 PM
I call it Operation: Trojan :smalltongue:

Has the side benefit that the Malfeas charm tree doesn't have a lie detector in it, as far as I know. So play on his psychological weakness.

sun_tzu
2012-12-22, 02:56 PM
Yyyyeah, Berger's ideas here are tending toward the TTGL school of strategy...but in her defense, 1)It's Exalted, 2)It's freaking Malfeas. I figure our strategy needs to be epic in order to have a prayer. XD

horus42
2012-12-27, 11:19 PM
Sorry it's been a few days, I've been out of town for Christmas, and haven't had access to a computer until now.

horus42
2012-12-30, 06:59 PM
Oh, I forgot to put it in the IC thread, but could each of you do a Perception+Socialize roll for me?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-30, 07:21 PM
Sure, here we go. Might as well roll for my allied Sidereals as well - it's half the point of having them, after all.

Watson: [roll0]
Aria: [roll1]
Smith: [roll2]

sun_tzu
2012-12-30, 07:34 PM
Not exactly Berger's strongest point. XD [roll0]

horus42
2013-01-08, 09:54 AM
...so, since I'm in kind of a bad mood, which has nothing to do with either of you, and all we're waiting on is a dice roll to advance the story, I'm just going to go ahead and roll Watson's Intelligence+Lore for him, if that's not too much trouble.

[roll0]

Maugan Ra
2013-01-08, 10:19 AM
...balls. Didn't realise we were waiting on me. Uh, whoops.

horus42
2013-01-08, 10:23 AM
It's ok, those kinds of things happen sometimes. I assumed that it was something like that.

horus42
2013-01-08, 06:19 PM
I realize that I forgot to actually mention in my other post where Autocthon actually is.

He's in the Michilimackinac system, cannibalizing its asteroid belt for raw materials to repair himself.

horus42
2013-01-14, 08:19 PM
So, I have a question for you two! I'm now the ST for another Heaven's Reach game. All the PC are going to be Infernals, and I was thinking of basically running it as this story, but in reverse. Would the two of you mind if I used Berger and Watson as NPCs?

Maugan Ra
2013-01-14, 08:58 PM
I have no objection. Mostly because I'm vaguely running out of ideas on how to keep playing him right now, but he'd do well enough as an NPC.

Here's a trick for free, if you want crazy Sidereal shenanigans. There is a charm in the Throne Shadow Style tree, which requires complete mastery of a Celestial style, which reduces the MA and Essence pre-requisites of martial arts charms by one.

This does allow you to build an Essence 5 Sidereal, and thus a Heaven's Reach character, who has utterly mastered a Sidereal style. And partially mastered quite a few more. Have fun, but remember, this can lead to all sorts of broken undefeatable murder.

sun_tzu
2013-01-15, 03:40 AM
So, I have a question for you two! I'm now the ST for another Heaven's Reach game. All the PC are going to be Infernals, and I was thinking of basically running it as this story, but in reverse. Would the two of you mind if I used Berger and Watson as NPCs?

No objection. Berger is basically Commander Shepard anyway, up to and including her name. :smallwink:

horus42
2013-01-15, 01:05 PM
Alright, cool. Thanks for letting me borrow them!

And if you're burnt out on Watson and want to take a break, that's alright with me. Though I really love this particular game, and don't want it to end just yet.

sun_tzu
2013-01-15, 01:31 PM
I do love this game and I greatly enjoy Watson...What exactly is the problem, if I may ask?:smalleek:

horus42
2013-01-15, 11:38 PM
If the problem is specifically with Watson, maybe you could try bringing one of your other two Sidereals into the spotlight for a while, and put Watson in the background, until you want to bring him back.

Maugan Ra
2013-02-14, 07:04 PM
Right. Feeling somewhat less burned out on this now... my apologies for the wait.

horus42
2013-02-14, 07:05 PM
No worries, man. I know the feeling. But it's good to have you back!

sun_tzu
2013-02-15, 04:14 AM
Indeed. Now let's go save the galaxy! ...Hopefully!

Maugan Ra
2013-02-15, 10:15 AM
We shall kick ass and take names!

*makes a note to get Name-Pilfering Practice at some point*

horus42
2013-02-16, 03:40 PM
Heh. Sidereals gathering in large numbers.

Nothing could possibly go wrong!

Maugan Ra
2013-02-16, 03:42 PM
Of COURSE not. Whatever gave you that impression? :smalltongue:

Seriously, it's going to be hilarious. And my current plans work vaguely around 'use EST to find the Grand Admiral, use Mirror-Shattering Method to jump us straight there, engage in epic Kung-fu battle.'

...there may need to be some refinement here and there.

sun_tzu
2013-02-16, 03:43 PM
Heh. Sidereals gathering in large numbers.

Nothing could possibly go wrong!

Good thing the "curse" only affected Solars here. :smallwink:
That said, I'm loving all this. :smallsmile:

horus42
2013-02-16, 03:54 PM
Good thing the "curse" only affected Solars here. :smallwink:
That said, I'm loving all this. :smallsmile:

Good, I'm glad to hear it! Nothing's more encouraging to me as an ST than knowing my players are having fun.

sun_tzu
2013-02-16, 03:58 PM
Good, I'm glad to hear it! Nothing's more encouraging to me as an ST than knowing my players are having fun.

Epic space opera, important decisions, getting to influence the fate of the galaxy, and quite possibly changing the face of the Central Empire in the process (recall that Berger isn't exactly an imperial loyalist). Yeah, loving it. :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2013-02-16, 04:27 PM
Amusingly, part of Watson's Motivation - to see that the Empire keeps running smoothly and weathers any changes - could lead him to helping Berger take over or to him stabbing her in the back.

It mostly depends on whether or not he believes that the changes she'd like to implement could be done without making the entire Empire collapse into a burning mess.

sun_tzu
2013-02-16, 04:32 PM
Amusingly, part of Watson's Motivation - to see that the Empire keeps running smoothly and weathers any changes - could lead him to helping Berger take over or to him stabbing her in the back.

It mostly depends on whether or not he believes that the changes she'd like to implement could be done without making the entire Empire collapse into a burning mess.

The fear of a burning mess is pretty much the reason Berger isn't somewhere on the Frontier, raising armies with which to bring down the Empire and bring democracy to the galaxy: She knows that it would involve death and destruction for trillions. Which is why, for now, she's trying to work within the system, and get to a position where she can reform the Empire.
If she has to, however, she will defect. In which case, she will be heading to the Frontier, and working to create a brighter, better alternative to the Central Empire. Even if that happens, though, she'd be playing the long game, still trying to avoid said burning mess.

Maugan Ra
2013-02-17, 05:15 PM
Actually, I have a really cheeky and potentially awesome idea. We saw the bridge of the enemy flagship there for a moment, yes? With the Thark Deathknight? I have a question about it's layout.

Actually, this plays into the rules for stunting, in that a two-dice stunt allows for dramatic editing of the scenery. Technically, by the rules for what I have in mind, I don't need to edit the scenery at all, but it adds extra awesome to this if I can.

Does the bridge of the enemy flagship contain any reasonably sized pools of water? Or, for that matter (and rather more likely), blood?

*is grinning so widely here*

sun_tzu
2013-02-17, 05:17 PM
Yeesh. I hope the Admiral isn't out - her ship's a full-out dreadnought, I hope it can't be taken down in just a few seconds.
...Is the Admiral a Lunar herself? I imagine this kind of job wouldn't go to a mortal. That would up her chance of survival...

horus42
2013-02-17, 05:26 PM
What's that, pools of blood on an Abyssal Flagship? Surely not. :smalltongue:

But yes, actually, there is.

As for the Admiral, she's Dragon-Blooded. And I never said her ship was destroyed, just that her comm feed suddenly cut out...

Maugan Ra
2013-02-17, 05:28 PM
*grins*

Oh yes. This should be good. Right, just got to set this up...

Maugan Ra
2013-02-17, 06:16 PM
I have said it before, and I will say it again. I love playing Sidereals.

sun_tzu
2013-02-17, 06:32 PM
So...do we get surprise attacks? :smalltongue:
Hm. Isn't Watson the Mercury's pilot? Would probably mean we'd need to hold off on the torpedo plan for now.

Maugan Ra
2013-02-17, 06:34 PM
One presumes that someone among the bridge crew is capable of piloting the ship. Not as well as Watson, but certainly enough to handle routine things.

sun_tzu
2013-02-17, 06:38 PM
One presumes that someone among the bridge crew is capable of piloting the ship. Not as well as Watson, but certainly enough to handle routine things.

Yeah, but my plan was hardly a routine thing.

horus42
2013-02-17, 06:46 PM
Lucky thing that Lt. Stayer is a Water Aspect and has Sail Charms then, huh? :smalltongue:

And you would have gotten surprise attacks had Watson kept his mouth shut after you appeared.

Maugan Ra
2013-02-17, 06:47 PM
But then I wouldn't have gotten to make a dramatic statement! :smalltongue:

sun_tzu
2013-02-17, 06:48 PM
Lucky thing that Lt. Stayer is a Water Aspect and has Sail Charms then, huh? :smalltongue:

Good point!
So, right now, the Mercury is out there, collecting torpedoes...while Berger, Watson and the others are dealing with Mister Deathmonger.
Hm. You guys seen "Galaxy Quest"? :smallbiggrin:

horus42
2013-02-17, 06:53 PM
Good point!
So, right now, the Mercury is out there, collecting torpedoes...while Berger, Watson and the others are dealing with Mister Deathmonger.
Hm. You guys seen "Galaxy Quest"? :smallbiggrin:

Yes, and if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it only makes me love the plan more. :smallbiggrin:

sun_tzu
2013-02-17, 06:55 PM
Yes, and if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it only makes me love the plan more. :smallbiggrin:

Well, when we were fighting Malfeas, I was stealing ideas from "Return of the Jedi". No reason not to keep it up! :smallcool:

Maugan Ra
2013-02-17, 07:13 PM
How many successes did the Deathknight get on his test? Because in an Exalted combat, the precise number of ticks between different actions matters a great deal.

horus42
2013-02-17, 07:22 PM
AH, my apologies. He got 7 successes.