PDA

View Full Version : iPhone question

Blue1005
2012-09-20, 01:07 PM
I figure this is a site to ask since so many people are skilled with electronics and such. Does anyone know if it is possible to switch the OS on a galaxy s2 to iOS? And as important, if not why? I honestly dont have a clue and was just wondering if anyone knew.

Rawhide
2012-09-20, 01:20 PM
"Does anyone know if it is possible to switch the OS on a galaxy s2 to iOS?"

Short answer: No.

"And as important, if not why?"

Short answer: Because iOS is specifically designed for the iPhone/etc. hardware, and will only run on that.

Blue1005
2012-09-20, 01:23 PM
"Does anyone know if it is possible to switch the OS on a galaxy s2 to iOS?"

"And as important, if not why?"

Short answer: Because iOS is specifically designed for the iPhone/etc. hardware, and will only run on that.

:smallfrown: I guess it makes sense, just would have figured by now someone knew how to do it. Oh well i guess, stick with android for a while.

Flickerdart
2012-09-20, 02:40 PM
If you're just after the look and feel, the MIUI ROM is the closest you'll get. Most apps for iOS are also available in Google Play.

Tonal Architect
2012-09-20, 03:50 PM
IIRC, apple's stuff is supposed to be *NIX based (or at least has been in one moment or another), so maybe a chroot would be possible...

...as long as you were able to either get the binaries compiled for the platform you want, or get the sources and compile them yourself.

I don't see either one happening, though. So yeah...

Blue1005
2012-09-21, 12:19 AM
IIRC, apple's stuff is supposed to be *NIX based (or at least has been in one moment or another), so maybe a chroot would be possible...

...as long as you were able to either get the binaries compiled for the platform you want, or get the sources and compile them yourself.

I don't see either one happening, though. So yeah...

Thanks for your help, and answers all. It shows that im not a super software person because to me i thought if they had ram and procesors and all that it would be able to run anything like it

Don Julio Anejo
2012-09-24, 01:18 AM
Thanks for your help, and answers all. It shows that im not a super software person because to me i thought if they had ram and procesors and all that it would be able to run anything like it
That's usually the case, but proprietary OS's usually have built-in subroutines that check hardware (and given Apple, not just hardware but probably things like specific serial numbers and the like) and prevent installation onto unauthorized (i.e., non-Apple) devices.

It'd be modifiable if hackers had the source code, but, well, they don't.