PDA

View Full Version : Finding Specific Dice

Conners
2012-09-20, 05:46 PM
I want a fairly specific kind of dice... but I'm not sure what the best way to find them is. Simply googling the details doesn't seem to be enough.

Do I just need to check dice sites till I find something similar to what I want? If so, which sites would you suggest?

Just in case anyone has seen what I'm look for: Coloured ten-sided dice. But, one of the sides has to be black (apparently, it doesn't matter which one).

holywhippet
2012-09-20, 05:53 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. Most dice are the same colour on all sides because of how they are made. It might be easier just to get a regular d10 and paint one side.

nedz
2012-09-20, 06:15 PM
Indian Ink is what you need, its like paint only thinner.
Apply to any old d10 as you see fit.

Jay R
2012-09-21, 11:45 AM
How many do you want, and what's it worth to you?

If you only want a few, I recommend buying blank dice and painting them, or using stickers:
http://www.gamestation.net/s.nl/it.A/id.2891/.f

If you want a lot, then google "custom dice", and you'll find some manufacturers that will make dice to your specs.

dps
2012-09-21, 05:26 PM
Just to clarify, is it that one, and only one of the sides has to be black; or that at least one side has to be black?

Conners
2012-09-21, 06:51 PM
How many do you want, and what's it worth to you?

If you only want a few, I recommend buying blank dice and painting them, or using stickers:
http://www.gamestation.net/s.nl/it.A/id.2891/.f

If you want a lot, then google "custom dice", and you'll find some manufacturers that will make dice to your specs. Custom dice. I should've thought of that earlier. Thanks.

Any suggestions for which custom dice makers are the best?

Just to clarify, is it that one, and only one of the sides has to be black; or that at least one side has to be black? Only one of the sides.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-21, 10:47 PM
There's a dice-collector on the forum, Kevin_Cook, who posts every month or so his: "Got any Dice Questions? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50601&page=21)" thread. He encourages people to ask this sort of thing of him, since he has an epic dice collection, and is generally an expert on this sort of thing.

So this guy should be able to help you.

Jay R
2012-09-24, 11:49 AM
Custom dice. I should've thought of that earlier. Thanks.

Any suggestions for which custom dice makers are the best?

"Best" is not a well-defined term.

You cannot optimize without knowing the parameters involved, and what function you want to optimize.

Cheapest? Best definition? Fastest delivery? Best ability to make more if needed?

My recommendation is that you decide your goals, and how many you would order, and then google "custom dice" comparing prices, times of delivery, etc.

Then, if you have specific questions about specific manufacturers, somebody here might be able to answer you.

Togath
2012-09-24, 05:20 PM
what if you just ruled one side of the dice as being treated as black?, if the colour only shows up once there isn't a reason not to rule a number as it.

Conners
2012-09-24, 07:15 PM
"Best" is not a well-defined term.

You cannot optimize without knowing the parameters involved, and what function you want to optimize.

Cheapest? Best definition? Fastest delivery? Best ability to make more if needed?

My recommendation is that you decide your goals, and how many you would order, and then google "custom dice" comparing prices, times of delivery, etc.

Then, if you have specific questions about specific manufacturers, somebody here might be able to answer you. Cheapest for large quantities, I think. Shipping too, is a concern, since I might need the dice shipped to many people. I'm not sure if dice manufacturers will send their dice out in packages to a list of clients you give them, or if you'd need to hire a second group for that.

Does this make things any clearer?

@Togath: We've considered that possibility. Would prefer dice black on one side just because of theme-related stuff (makes a critical-failure look more serious).

Jay R
2012-09-27, 12:07 PM
I'll try again: YOU need to google the companies that make custom dice, for your specific needs.

If you have a specific question about one of these companies (How fast do they ship? Have there been any complaints?), people here may be able to help you with that. (I won't know the answer - I've never ordered custom dice. But somebody here might know it.)

Also, I just happened across this, which may fit your requirements. It's a 4.75" ten-sided dry-erase die you can write anything on. But it's not cheap.
http://www.eaieducation.com/Product/532565/Jumbo_Magnetic_QuietShape%C2%AE_Write-On_Wipe-Off_10-Sided_Die.aspx

Conners
2012-09-27, 06:50 PM
Mr. Cook was kind enough to inform me that dice companies have basic shipping, so I can't send a client list to them. With that concern out of the way, it'll be easier to look for a manufacturer.

Thank you for your advise. I'll make sure to ask around when I've found some manufacturers who seem good.