PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Prerequisites

Tyger
2012-09-21, 09:02 AM
I am running a T3 and below game, no magic at all (so melee having nice things actually counts!) set in the Game of Thrones realm. Its a 3.5 and Pathfinder hybrid, with us taking a bit of each game and using it as it suits us. We're also using a fair number of houserules, most of which are pretty common ones, and a few that aren't, but none of which have bearing on my question, which is...

One of my players, who is playing a Warblade (Tome of Battle) / Swashbuckler (base class from a 3rd party PF source, you can see it here if you want. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/swashbuckler)). The group is currently level 3. The player of this character has asked about allowing the Swashbuckler's Thrust ability to count as Sneak Attack for purposes of prerequisites (specifically for the Craven feat).

Would allowing this pose any significant challenges to game balance? The main concern is that it may open a door that might bite us later - in addition to the warblade/swashbuckler we have a scout/ranger, a factotum (no magic though), a cavalier and a rogue/swashbuckler.

I would appreciate any thoughts. My first instinct is to allow it - I like to say yes more than no, but there is something niggling at my mind that suggests it is a bad idea.

LTwerewolf
2012-09-21, 09:07 AM
Personally I would rule no, but then again that may be a blessing to him, as the craven feat isn't really that amazing. You take a penalty to fear for 3 extra damage at this level. As you go up, that 1 extra damage/lvl means less and less.

Unseenmal
2012-09-21, 10:06 AM
I would rule yes based on the fact that the Thrust ability is essentially the same as sneak attack. Plus, it wouldn't really unbalance much. The only real bonus is that it would apply the damage to creatures that are immune to sneak attacks normally....undead, constructs, etc. still take the Craven damage but don't take the sneak attack/thrust damage

just my 2 cents

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-21, 10:11 AM
{Scrubbed}

Tyger
2012-09-21, 10:32 AM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

We're only a little bit in, and thus far its working just fine. There are challenges, certainly, but a bit of creativity and ingenuity and anything can work.

Darius Kane
2012-09-22, 03:51 PM
There's some useful D&D stuff for Game of Thrones in Dragon Magazine #307. A Night's Watch Ranger prc, some info on the setting and stats for some of the characters.

Tyger
2012-09-22, 04:36 PM
There's some useful D&D stuff for Game of Thrones in Dragon Magazine #307. A Night's Watch Ranger prc, some info on the setting and stats for some of the characters.

Thanks! We're cobbling together a few things, and using the Game of Thrones system by Guardians of Order / White Wolf for some additional guidance. So far it is going well, but actual D&D conversions are great! I'll track down that Dragon Magazine - thanks!