PDA

View Full Version : Gain XP for crafting.

Morithias
2012-09-21, 09:35 AM
I'm looking at running a campaign around "Alchemy" and building things as a key game play mechanic, with the plot revolving around a fiery princess who is a warmonger.

Does the following variant rule ruin anything as whole?

"Whenever you craft an item whether mundane or magical you gain XP equal to 1/25 it's base price"

For example, a party of 4 crafts a +10 sword (200,000 gp), so they would gain 200k/25 = 8000 xp divide among themselves.

If you play an artificer your craft reserve is in gold pieces and multiplied by 5.

So is there anything super obvious I'm missing here?

HunterOfJello
2012-09-21, 09:41 AM
Well, if you can gain XP that way, why do you adventure at all?

As a player, I wouldn't sit around all the time crafting stuff for no reason other than XP, but I'd be highly tempted to do that if I was very close to leveling and just wanted to get that over with. It would be safer and more efficient than braving the wilds.

Also, there are going to be lots of powerful, high level crafters in that type of world. It would probably be run by crafting guilds or something.

Morithias
2012-09-21, 09:48 AM
Well, if you can gain XP that way, why do you adventure at all?

As a player, I wouldn't sit around all the time crafting stuff for no reason other than XP, but I'd be highly tempted to do that if I was very close to leveling and just wanted to get that over with. It would be safer and more efficient than braving the wilds.

Also, there are going to be lots of powerful, high level crafters in that type of world. It would probably be run by crafting guilds or something.

Because you can't get the resources needed to craft without going into the mines where oozes and such are. Most of the resources that come in come in via the craftsman who are harvesting them for their own use. You want wood to build your own house go get it yourself you know?

Actually the county is run by a warmongering princess obsessed with uniting the country before the "foreign powers" she bought some firearms off of decide to target them.

Pilo
2012-09-21, 09:48 AM
In second edition, Cleric and Wizard win experience for crafting items.

It is a good idea, however, i do not think that crafting the same item repeatedly should give the same amount of experience.

Morithias
2012-09-21, 10:05 AM
In second edition, Cleric and Wizard win experience for crafting items.

It is a good idea, however, i do not think that crafting the same item repeatedly should give the same amount of experience.

I suppose that is a good point. Then again fighting the same orcs over and over still gives XP....hmmm...

Still, on a basic level, this variant doesn't have any really gamebreaking problems, outside of "your players might spend more time on their butts instead of fighting stuff."?