PDA

View Full Version : Possible tricks with feat "Magical Training" for non-casters?

ShurikVch
2012-09-21, 11:17 AM
Is it possible, by taking Magical Training (wizard), get access to feat Collegiate Wizard, thus starting with 3 cantrips, 8 1st-lvl spells (and 1 2nd-level, if you take also Precocious Apprentice) ?

How about some of wizard's (or sorcerer's) ACFs? If you "treated as a sorcerer or wizard", can it be stretched to taking alternative features in those classes (assuming you have whatever must be given up for them)?

HunterOfJello
2012-09-21, 11:34 AM
You have to read the feat Magical Training in its full context. You can't just take out a snippet of a sentence in order to determine what it does. The full sentence you are referring to says, "Thereafter, you have an arcane spell failure chance if you wear armor and are treated as a sorcerer or wizard of
your arcane spellcaster level (minimum 1st) for the purpose of determining level-based variables of the spells you cast" (PGtF 41).

Collegiate Wizard has a prerequisite of "Wizard level 1st". If you don't have 1 level in the Wizard class, then you can't take it. It's a class and level prerequisite. Precocious Apprentice has the same thing, but requires you to be in the first level of an arcane spellcaster class.

Edit: That's not true, Precocious Apprentice only requires CL 1st.

~
Now, that doesn't mean that Magical Training can't allow you access to all sorts of other feats, prestige classes, and options. There are lots of great tricks you can do with the Magical Training feat, Collegiate Wizard just doesn't happen to be one of them.

~
As far as Alternate Class Features go, you have to have a class feature (and class) in order to gain an alternate class feature.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-09-21, 11:35 AM
What version of Magical Training are you looking at? From what I can see you can cast 3 cantrips, no mention of being able to actually cast 1st level spells, you are only treated as a wizard for the purpose of casting those spells so you wouldn't qualify for Collegiate wizard or precocious apprentice.

ShurikVch
2012-09-21, 12:17 PM
What version of Magical Training are you looking at?
Player's Guide to Faerûn (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/magical-training--1834/)

From what I can see you can cast 3 cantrips, no mention of being able to actually cast 1st level spells, you are only treated as a wizard for the purpose of casting those spells so you wouldn't qualify for Collegiate wizard or precocious apprentice.

Collegiate Wizard [General]
You have undergone extensive training in a formal school for wizards.
Prerequisites: Int 13, wizard level 1st.
Where is demands to cast 1st-lvl spells?

Precocious Apprentice has the same thing, but requires you to be in the first level of an arcane spellcaster class.

Precocious Apprentice [General]
Your master has shown you the basics of a spell beyond the normal limits of your experience and training.
Prerequisites: Spellcasting ability (Int or Cha) 15, arcane caster level 1st.
Nothing in prerequisites points on particular class, only ACL 1, and MT explicitly give it.

treated as a sorcerer or wizard of
your arcane spellcaster level (minimum 1st)

Now, that doesn't mean that Magical Training can't allow you access to all sorts of other feats, prestige classes, and options. There are lots of great tricks you can do with the Magical Training feat,
Share, please.

As far as Alternate Class Features go, you have to have a class feature (and class) in order to gain an alternate class feature.
IIRR, some ACFs asks for spell slots or spell known. You can have this "class" features without actually having this class.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-21, 12:38 PM
Nothing in prerequisites points on particular class, only ACL 1, and MT explicitly give it.

Whoops! That's completely my bad, I relied on a feat list in a pdf and didn't check out Complete Arcane itself. Shame on me. You are correct, Precocious Apprentice only requires Caster Level 1st, and does not require any class levels in anything.

Share, please.

Oooh, there are all sorts.

The very high powered PrC, Dweomerkeeper, from the Complete Divine web enhancement has an entry requirement of, "Spells: Ability to cast arcane and divine spells." It also requires you to have the Magic Domain. This would ordinarily mean that you would need to multiclass to gain access to the class, but if you take Magical Training, then you can enter it with pure Cleric 5. People also try to do this with the Southern Magician feat, but that feat isn't anywhere near as clear.

The ordinary entry prerequisite for PrCs with Spells is some form of 'be able to cast Xth level spells", but that isn't always the case. Some require a number of spells from a certain spell school or just the ability to cast them at all.

IIRR, some ACFs asks for spell slots or spell known. You can have this "class" features without actually having this class.

There might be some ways to finagle Magical Training to get you some alternate class features of some sort, but you'd have to look hard. Most class features have a prerequisite of levels in that class or a specific class feature from that class.

I'm not aware of any ways to achieve this.

ShurikVch
2012-09-21, 12:57 PM
There might be some ways to finagle Magical Training to get you some alternate class features of some sort, but you'd have to look hard. Most class features have a prerequisite of levels in that class or a specific class feature from that class.

I'm not aware of any ways to achieve this.
How about the domain wizard from UA? Even more spells...

Bloodgruve
2012-09-21, 01:13 PM
I haven't looked into MT much past using it to 'know' wizard/sorc spells and using Versatile Spellcaster to access and cast them. If you take the wizard style MT you have a spell book and should be able to record any level spell into that spell book. So even though you can't cast a 9th level spell you can still record it and therefore know it. This is debated but I would argue that it works.

Are there any prereq's that require knowing a certain spell?

GL
Blood~

ShurikVch
2012-09-21, 01:22 PM
Precocious Apprentice [General]
Your master has shown you the basics of a spell beyond the normal limits of your experience and training.
Prerequisites: Spellcasting ability (Int or Cha) 15, arcane caster level 1st.
By the way, does it mean warlock have access for this feat? He get a caster level...

Answerer
2012-09-21, 01:24 PM
By the way, does it mean warlock have access for this feat? He get a caster level...
Good news, bad news on that front. He qualifies, but it's debatable if he gets any benefit. It says you gain a spell from a school you have access to. Does a Warlock count as "having access" to a "school of spells"? Hard to say.

It's a shame they changed the wording from the version on their website; that one just says that the spell cannot be from a banned school, which obviously isn't an issue for Warlocks.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-21, 01:25 PM
Precocious apprentice works. Sanctum Spell/Extra slot combo will give you extra casting firepower on top of that. If you select them as known as per a wizard, then you can use this combo to qualify for Dragon Disciple without losing BaB beforehand.

Which, of course, will give you additional spells.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-21, 01:28 PM

It's debatable. Warlock doesn't technically have a casting stat. Cha determines the save DC's on his invocations, but it doesn't determine bonus spells or the highest level of spell he can cast. Technically he doesn't even cast spells to begin with. He invokes spell-like abilities called invocations.

This one is pretty firmly in ask your DM territory, but the most likely answer and the answer closest to RAW, as far as I can tell, is that a warlock doesn't qualify.

ShurikVch
2012-09-21, 01:31 PM
It says you gain a spell from a school you have access to. Does a Warlock count as "having access" to a "school of spells"? Hard to say.
Corrupt spells from BoVD and such.

It's debatable. ...
What about shadowcaster?

Psyren
2012-09-21, 01:41 PM
One common trick is to get a familiar. This is typically used on Incarnum classes for Share Soulmeld tricks when the DM is a meanyhead who doesn't allow Soulspark Familiar or a Psicrystal to qualify you.

That and getting Warlocks into various PrCs (or lichdom etc.) are the main uses I've seen for it.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-21, 01:42 PM
It's debatable. Warlock doesn't technically have a casting stat. Cha determines the save DC's on his invocations, but it doesn't determine bonus spells or the highest level of spell he can cast. Technically he doesn't even cast spells to begin with. He invokes spell-like abilities called invocations.

This one is pretty firmly in ask your DM territory, but the most likely answer and the answer closest to RAW, as far as I can tell, is that a warlock doesn't qualify.

Warlock's an invocation class, not a caster class, so no joy. Shadowcaster uses mysteries. Mysteries, however, do interact with the term CL occasionally. They are also cast. So long as reliance on the word "spell" does not exist in the prereq, they should be fine. Terminology is otherwise pretty caster-like.

Psyren
2012-09-21, 01:48 PM
Mysteries are actually spells though (at least, initially) - they just aren't typed. This is why Shadowcasters can qualify for a PrC that requires "can cast level X spells" but not one that requires "can cast level X arcane/divine spells." They aren't limited to "Caster Level X" PrCs the way Warlocks are.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-21, 02:14 PM
Yeah, shadowcasting is essentially regular casting with some extra fluff.

I don't know that it's ever specified as arcane, so that *might* pose difficulties in certain prereq cases(and certainly it'd have a tough time qualifying for stuff like loremaster with typed spell requirements)...but for stuff that's generic to casting, it's usually pretty safe. It even explicitly interacts with things like spellcraft for identification purposes, so it's almost certainly even RAI, not just RAW.

Truenaming and binding, though, not so much.

Answerer
2012-09-21, 02:25 PM
Mysteries are explicitly Spells (at least, until you upgrade them to Sp or Su), but neither Arcane nor Divine. They are effectively "Mysterious Spells" as if that was a third type.

Psyren
2012-09-21, 02:26 PM
Hmm, now you've got me curious about the LM thing.

Fundamentals aren't spells, so they don't count. For the rest:

Bend Perspective
Congress of Shadows
Far Sight --> higher than 3rd
Piercing Sight
Reflections of Things to Come --> higher than 3rd
Truth Revealed --> higher than 3rd
Unveil --> higher than 3rd
Widened Eyes

More than 7, but the problem is I'm too lazy to make sure you can actually pick all these up given the Path restrictions. Using Ari's fix you could jump around and grab them. Still, loading up your repertoires with these just for a PrC doesn't seem very strong even you can.

Answerer
2012-09-21, 02:28 PM
Yeah, Loremaster is stupidly-easy for a Wizard to enter, fairly easy for other prepared casters to enter, and just-not-worth-it for any spontaneous caster. Wasting your spells known like that is just never a good choice.

Snowbluff
2012-09-21, 02:35 PM
The very high powered PrC, Dweomerkeeper, from the Complete Divine web enhancement has an entry requirement of, "Spells: Ability to cast arcane and divine spells." It also requires you to have the Magic Domain. This would ordinarily mean that you would need to multiclass to gain access to the class, but if you take Magical Training, then you can enter it with pure Cleric 5. People also try to do this with the Southern Magician feat, but that feat isn't anywhere near as clear.

Spell Domain gives you Anyspell. If anyone can use that domain, it's somebody that also took the magic domain.

ShurikVch
2012-09-25, 09:41 AM
Next questions:

Let's assume some character use MT to get into some PrC which required arcane spellcasting and give "+1 caster level" on several levels.
Does it mean he/she will get access to new spells - per-day/known/upper circles from wizard/sorcerer list?

Combination of feats MT+PA. Now you can cast 0th and 2nd lvl spell(s). But what about 1st level? Yes, you don't have them "normally", but you "of your arcane spellcaster level (minimum 1st)" and 1st-lvl can cast 1st-lvl spells. Even if you don't have "normal" spell slots for 1st lvl, you must have bonus slots from high ability scores. And known spells can be gotten from domain, heritage, or just written into wizard's book...

Also, is it possible to use option "domain wizard" from UA troth feat Magical Training (wizard) ?

Slipperychicken
2012-09-25, 11:12 AM
Spell Domain gives you Anyspell. If anyone can use that domain, it's somebody that also took the magic domain.

I'm pretty sure Anyspell-accessed spells are considered Arcane. Which is why you (probably) can't DMM: Persist them.

Psyren
2012-09-25, 11:30 AM
Next questions:

Let's assume some character use MT to get into some PrC which required arcane spellcasting and give "+1 caster level" on several levels.
Does it mean he/she will get access to new spells - per-day/known/upper circles from wizard/sorcerer list?

No, because those classes usually have language along the lines of: "When a new X level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class."

Because MT doesn't actually make you belong to a spellcasting class, there is no class to advance. MT only treats you as a sorcerer or wizard "for the purpose of determining level-based variables of the spells you cast."

Snowbluff
2012-09-25, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Anyspell-accessed spells are considered Arcane. Which is why you (probably) can't DMM: Persist them.

I agree, but you can use them to meet the Arcane Casting requirement of Dweomerkeeper.

Grim Reader
2012-09-25, 05:37 PM

I believe a number of racial abilities such as the Lesser Aasimars "Light" ability defaults to a low arcane casting level as well.

Next questions:

Combination of feats MT+PA. Now you can cast 0th and 2nd lvl spell(s). But what about 1st level? Yes, you don't have them "normally", but you "of your arcane spellcaster level (minimum 1st)" and 1st-lvl can cast 1st-lvl spells. Even if you don't have "normal" spell slots for 1st lvl, you must have bonus slots from high ability scores. And known spells can be gotten from domain, heritage, or just written into wizard's book...

No, you need to get a spells/day table to apply the "+1 spellcasting" to. Much like Unearthened Arcanas racial paragons, the "+1 " is lost if you can't apply it to anything. Bonus spells slots from high ability scores also needs a spell slots table to apply to.

ShurikVch
2012-09-26, 09:21 AM
No, because those classes usually have language along the lines of: "When a new X level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class."
Usually, but not always. For example:

Spells Known: These are bonus arcane spells (see the Player’s Handbook, Chapter 12) known to the character, gained as a sorcerer gains new known spells. These are not bonus spells added to the total number that the character can cast. The character must already cast spells as a sorcerer to benefit from these extra spells known (such as a sorcerer or bard). A character cannot benefit from bonus spells known if she cannot cast spells of that level.
As I see, this CF by RAW perfectly compatible to MT feat. If you take MT(sorcerer), you cast spells as sorcerer. :smallwink:

But maybe, it will be better to just take PrC which have separate spellcasting progression. Such as Psi-Hunter...

Because MT doesn't actually make you belong to a spellcasting class, there is no class to advance. MT only treats you as a sorcerer or wizard "for the purpose of determining level-based variables of the spells you cast."
In the very beginning of description it says:

Benefit

You can cast three 0-level arcane spells per day as either a sorcerer or wizard
Or, maybe, among this cantrips can be chosen Fire Eyes or Snowshoes? Apparently no, because it's from druid's spell list.
Or, maybe, it's possible to cast this spells in light armor, as bard? Nope.
Character cast this spells as wizard or sorcerer, take them from wiz/sorc spell list and at arcane caster level 1.:smallcool:
But despite what was said in the very first sentence of description, you still insist he not fit to any wizard/sorcerer things.
Does RAW actually says MT not give access to any of it?:smallconfused:
I see there the classical conflict of "Forbidden, because not permitted" versus "Permitted, because not forbidden".:smallsigh:

No, you need to get a spells/day table to apply the "+1 spellcasting" to. Much like Unearthened Arcanas racial paragons, the "+1 " is lost if you can't apply it to anything. Bonus spells slots from high ability scores also needs a spell slots table to apply to.
1. It's not accurate. We have arcane caster level 1. So all "+1" must be applied to it.
2. And what about all those critters with racial spellcasting? They also doesn't have any tables. Does it mean they also cannot benefit from all those "+1 spellcasting" from PrC? Yeah, say it to Velsaertirden (very old steel dragon, loremaster 10)...

Psyren
2012-09-26, 09:37 AM
In the very beginning of description it says:

You cast the spells as one, but you aren't actually a member of either class. The spells you gain from MT do not come from levels in a class, they come from a feat - therefore there is no class for such a PrC to advance.

In other words, you can use tricks to get the spells high enough to enter a PrC. But once inside, you need an actual spellcasting class (or equivalent, e.g. Warlock) to apply the advancement to.

ShurikVch
2012-09-26, 09:39 AM
You cast the spells as one, but you aren't actually a member of either class.
Dragon-loremaster.
"Dragon" - not a class.

Psyren
2012-09-26, 09:44 AM
Dragon-loremaster.
"Dragon" - not a class.

I meant the sorcerer and wizard from Magical Training itself.

Axier
2012-09-26, 09:59 AM
My real question is what you can do with the fact that the feat, if you choose to cast as a wizard, gives you a spellbook with 3 0 level spells, and you prepare spells, would this mean that you can copy spells to your spellbook and cast any 0 level spell you prepare?

Is this the begining of the Barbarian Wizard?!

Akto
2012-09-26, 11:12 AM
Another interesting question, would this feat make you able to use wands with wizards spells wiyhout UMD?

dextercorvia
2012-09-26, 12:13 PM
Usually, but not always. For example:

As I see, this CF by RAW perfectly compatible to MT feat. If you take MT(sorcerer), you cast spells as sorcerer. :smallwink:

You don't source your example, but it appears you are confusing spells known, with the ability to cast them.

thorr-kan
2012-09-27, 11:48 AM
Well, if you go for the Magical Training gives you a caster level of 1, then take Precosious Apprentince to get your 2nd level spell, there are a few reserve feats that require access to a 2nd level spell.

Feat intensive, but fun for a fighter or somebody else who wants a surprise ability.

Bloodgruve
2012-09-27, 12:21 PM
My real question is what you can do with the fact that the feat, if you choose to cast as a wizard, gives you a spellbook with 3 0 level spells, and you prepare spells, would this mean that you can copy spells to your spellbook and cast any 0 level spell you prepare?

Ask your DM first but I would argue that you can record and know any wizard/sorc spell that you come across as long as you hit the spellcraft check to input it to your spellbook. If this is allowed then you can really open up those great spontaneous casting classes using Versatile Spellcaster. Duskblade, Beguiler, Dread Necro, Bard, etc.. can have any spell on the list that they can get their hands on, and cast it spontaneously. Granted they have to drop 2 lower level spells for the one you want to cast but it's worth it IMHO. This trick however is debated and categorized as shenanigans, wear a helmet when you present it to your DM.

Blood~

ShurikVch
2012-09-28, 07:42 AM
I meant the sorcerer and wizard from Magical Training itself.
Explain, plz.

Another interesting question, would this feat make you able to use wands with wizards spells wiyhout UMD?
Yes, good question. Anyone?

You don't source your example, but it appears you are confusing spells known, with the ability to cast them.
Example from Dragon #280, p. 88, Eldritch Master.

And ability to cast as sorcerer you get if take feat Magical Training(sorcerer).
Re-read the description:
Benefit

You can cast three 0-level arcane spells per day as either a sorcerer or wizard (your choice, so long as you have a score of at least 10 in the ability that controls the spellcasting for that class). You must make this decision when you first take the feat. Thereafter, you have an arcane spell failure chance if you wear armor and are treated as a sorcerer or wizard of your arcane spellcaster level (minimum 1st) for the purpose of determining level-based variables of the spells you cast. If you choose to cast spells as a sorcerer, the DC for saves against your spells is 10 + your Cha modifier. You know two 0-level spells of your choice from the sorcerer/wizard list. If you choose to cast spells as a wizard, the DC for saves against your spells is 10 + your Int modifier. You have a spellbook with three 0-level spells of your choice from the sorcerer/ wizard list. You prepare your spells exactly as a wizard does.

Something like this?
Barbarian(Wolf Totem) 5/Psi-Hunter 4/Rage Mage 1/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Master 4(Spell Dilettante: Wizard)/Abjurant Champion 5

Psyren
2012-09-28, 08:10 AM
Explain, plz.

You cast the spells as a 1st-level sorcerer or wizard, but you don't actually have any levels in either class. This allows you to qualify for a PrC/feat/etc with the requirements "able to cast (X level) arcane spells." But when it comes to advancement, the PrC looks for "a spellcasting class you belong to." You belong to neither sorcerer nor wizard (as you have no levels in either) - you simply can cast the MT spells as though you did. There is therefore nothing to advance.

MT is usually used to qualify for a PrC. Once you're in though, you need an actual arcane class to advance. This is why it's so valuable for a Warlock: it gives them spellcasting ability to qualify for a PrC, then they can apply the advancement to their EB/invocations.

dextercorvia
2012-09-28, 09:24 AM
Example from Dragon #280, p. 88, Eldritch Master.

And ability to cast as sorcerer you get if take feat Magical Training(sorcerer).
Re-read the description:

I'm not familiar with that class, however the text you quoted earlier only added spells known. It did not provide you with any additional slots. That is what I was saying.

I am quite familiar with Magical Training, but if you think there is a beneficial interaction between that feat and Eldritch Master, the burden is on you to show it. Right now, best case scenario, it looks like you get to add some spells know, which you have no ability to cast.

ShurikVch
2012-09-29, 01:57 PM
You cast the spells as a 1st-level sorcerer or wizard, but you don't actually have any levels in either class. This allows you to qualify for a PrC/feat/etc with the requirements "able to cast (X level) arcane spells." But when it comes to advancement, the PrC looks for "a spellcasting class you belong to." You belong to neither sorcerer nor wizard (as you have no levels in either) - you simply can cast the MT spells as though you did. There is therefore nothing to advance.

MT is usually used to qualify for a PrC. Once you're in though, you need an actual arcane class to advance. This is why it's so valuable for a Warlock: it gives them spellcasting ability to qualify for a PrC, then they can apply the advancement to their EB/invocations.

Yes. But racial spellcasting is also not a class. If rakshasa or varrangoin-arcanist can benefit from PrC, why the character with MT can't? Where is it written? What's the difference?

SaintRidley
2012-09-29, 03:20 PM
The difference is when, say, a dragon takes an actual level of sorcerer, it stacks with its racial spellcasting. A Young Adult Black Dragon Sorcerer 1 adds to its racial spellcasting and casts as a Sorcerer 2.

Someone with Magical Training who takes Sorcerer 1 is a Sorcerer 1 with some bonus spells from a feat. Not a Sorcerer 2, and not able to cast as a Sorcerer 2.

This is in part due to WotC's insistence on using the word as. In the first case, it's saying a dragon casts as if it had x levels in Sorcerer. In the case of Magical training it's saying you cast the spells (gained through MT) like a Sorcerer casts spells, but not as if you had levels of Sorcerer.

Leafcharm
2012-09-30, 10:38 AM
How about this: take a spellcasting class, let's say Druid, and you take Magical Training. When you reach level 3, you gain access to 2nd-Level Druid spells. Now, take the Alternative Source Spell feat, which will then allow you to prepare your Druid spells (which are Divine) as Arcane spells.

From there, you can take the Mystic Theurge Prc and the Arcane Hierophant Prc, which stacks levels from your Divine and Arcane spellcasting.

So, you'll end up with full Druid casting, along with 17 or 18 Wizard/Sorcerer casting (depending on which one you chose with MT).

You just need to figure out a way to get Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill early.

Edit:
Sorry, also Knowledge (Arcana). Answerer has also provided the necessary solution to these problems.

Answerer
2012-09-30, 11:04 AM
The Education feat from Eberron Campaign Setting gets you all Knowledges as class skills. Knowledge Devotion gets you any one Knowledge skill as a class skill, as do Apprentice (Philosopher) or Apprentice (Spellcaster).

TypoNinja
2012-09-30, 10:03 PM

I'm thinking no.

Spell completion/trigger items are keyed of the classes spell list rather than actual spell casting ability, so lacking any class to grant you the list, you still can't use wands or the like.

Our old buddy the SRD says.

Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.)

LordBlades
2012-10-01, 02:05 AM
Well, if you go for the Magical Training gives you a caster level of 1, then take Precosious Apprentince to get your 2nd level spell, there are a few reserve feats that require access to a 2nd level spell.

Feat intensive, but fun for a fighter or somebody else who wants a surprise ability.

I've actually read somewhere(and later played in a semi-serious campaign) a char that did exactly that: commoner/survivor/chameleon with Magical Training, Precocious Apprentice (Melf's Acid Arrow) and Acidic Splatter. Spent his early levels pretending to be a sorcerer(and 2d6 acid damage at will wasn't so weak early on), and ended up quite powerful once it started taking levels in Chameleon.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-01, 02:22 AM
Don't think Precocious Apprentice interacts with reserve feats, since it's not in a slot.

only1doug
2012-10-01, 07:52 AM
Don't think Precocious Apprentice interacts with reserve feats, since it's not in a slot.

Nope, "As long as you have an acid spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast"...

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-01, 09:24 AM
Nope, "As long as you have an acid spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast"...

Read the general rules for reserve feats. I'm pretty sure it mentions slots.

only1doug
2012-10-01, 09:53 AM
Read the general rules for reserve feats. I'm pretty sure it mentions slots.

Even if it does, precocious apprentice specifically gives a 2nd level slot.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-02, 07:18 AM

Ah, that makes all the difference. Then it works.

TypoNinja
2012-10-02, 03:27 PM

Out of curiosity, is there anything like precocious apprentice that grants an divine slot for divine casters? Such a thing combined with flaws (possibility of taking more than one 1st level only/character creation feat) could yield some interesting results.

dextercorvia
2012-10-02, 03:37 PM
Out of curiosity, is there anything like precocious apprentice that grants an divine slot for divine casters? Such a thing combined with flaws (possibility of taking more than one 1st level only/character creation feat) could yield some interesting results.

Nothing that grants a 2nd level spell, but there is a Dragon feat that lets you learn some orisons.

Grim Reader
2012-10-06, 04:43 PM
1. It's not accurate. We have arcane caster level 1. So all "+1" must be applied to it.

You are confusing caster level with having a spellcasting class with spells and slots.

Axier
2012-10-11, 08:24 AM
I found something useful! -ish

You can use it to qualify for the Blade Dancer PrC in Oriental Adventures!

That way, you don't have to waste time with spells, and you can Jumplomance into the stratosphere!

thorr-kan
2012-10-11, 09:19 AM
Nothing that grants a 2nd level spell, but there is a Dragon feat that lets you learn some orisons.

Divine Minor Spellcaster, Dragon 305? I think.

Interestingly, caster level is 1/2 character level. And you can take the feat multiple times (with an upper limit).

Combined with the other divine feats in #305, it would be fun, I think.