View Full Version : Guest Strips anyone?

Sonata Arctica
2012-09-21, 06:57 PM
Hey, I was just thinking... Why not some guest strips while Rich heals? It's been done before (even though a long while ago), it would be a good moment to do so again =) (at least I think so =p)

And of course: melhoras ae "Burlão"! Long time Brazilian fan, since strip #120!

NerdyKris
2012-09-22, 11:27 AM
I'd rather not. Guest strips add nothing to the story, they're generally done by people with a completely different style of comedy, and come off as stilted and forced. I say this having read 15 years of webcomics. In my opinion, I've never seen a good guest strip.

Also, six weeks is hardly the longest wait we've ever had on this strip. I don't see any reason to make this gap any different.

Bundin
2012-09-22, 12:19 PM
I've seen many many amusing guest strips on many webcomic pages. They're usually tongue in cheek jokes applying the guest author's humour and style to someone elses characters. And of course they don't add to the story, they don't have to. They're one-shot entertainment from artists willing to help a colleague out by bridging the gap and keeping readers entertained.

So yeah, I'd be all for it.

Lira
2012-09-22, 12:49 PM
I think Rich has mentioned in the past that it's a lot of work to put up guest strips, so he doesn't bother anymore.
I can't find the post I'm thinking of, but in the 8/26/2007 news announcement he says:
I've decided not to use guest comics in the interim, if only because I want to step back from the site entirely while I rest and thus I don't want to have to format and post something every few days.

Although if the guest strips weren't on the site, just something that members went ahead and posted in threads on the board, then that would be great. I love guest strips and it would great to see some without causing more work for Rich.

The Succubus
2012-09-22, 12:52 PM
Well, the thought occurs - if anyone did want to do guest comics, the Arts & Crafts section of the forums would be a good place to do it.

There's still a big issue of copyright though.

ti'esar
2012-09-22, 02:44 PM
I'd rather not. Guest strips add nothing to the story, they're generally done by people with a completely different style of comedy, and come off as stilted and forced. I say this having read 15 years of webcomics. In my opinion, I've never seen a good guest strip.

Also, six weeks is hardly the longest wait we've ever had on this strip. I don't see any reason to make this gap any different.

Ditto this.

Hbgplayer
2012-09-22, 03:17 PM
I have an idea! Have the administrators and the moderators post their own strips in Rich's absence!

Mordokai
2012-09-22, 03:31 PM

Kinda missing the point?

Roland St. Jude
2012-09-22, 03:46 PM
Sheriff: Whether to do this or not is really up to Rich, and poster discussion doesn't really enter into it. Please let the man heal without the added stress of "the masses are clamoring for guest strips!" or even "the fan base is bickering about guest strips."