PDA

View Full Version : Early access to the Trophy Collecting feat?

rdcoll
2012-09-21, 08:37 PM
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to a character could get the Trophy Collecting feat at first level?

Trophy Collecting has a prerequisite of Craft (Taxidermy): 6 ranks, and even if it is considered a class skill, the maximum rank in a class skill for a first level character is 4 (1 + 3), right?

That would suggest to me that Trophy Collecting cannot be taken at first level - does anyone see a way around this?

Thanks!

TuggyNE
2012-09-21, 10:37 PM
Getting around skill rank requirements generally requires extreme cheese (Dusk Giant, bloodline abuse... Inspire Greatness, but getting that at level 1 is also non-trivial).

I can't really recommend it for anything but TO or extremely high-op PO.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-09-21, 11:25 PM
Have you considered just asking for it? The items created by trophy collector aren't that strong, their best use is probably selling the items to grab extra cash which can be a really nice way keep up with WBL in a game that throws lots of 0 or no loot encounters at you, so it can actually increase DM freedom.

rdcoll
2012-09-22, 02:21 PM
Yeah I suppose I could just ask for it - I was just curious if there was another approach.

I'm curious about how a Bloodlines trick would work though? And what book is Inspire Greatness in?

hex0
2012-09-22, 02:33 PM
1. Ask to make it a ACF for Rangers at first level instead of Track.

or

2. Just let it be a function of Craft: Taxidermy, and remove the feat.

Morithias
2012-09-22, 02:47 PM
In ravenloft legacy of blood there is a feat that boosts your max ranks in intelligence based skills (which craft is) by 2. I believe you need 15 intelligence though.

TuggyNE
2012-09-22, 04:38 PM
I'm curious about how a Bloodlines trick would work though? And what book is Inspire Greatness in?

Bloodline abuse relies on taking two or more levels of bloodline (which raise skill caps*, and consume XP, but do not count toward ECL) before the "deadline"; common sense suggests that bloodline levels can only be taken at the intervening level before they're "due".

Inspire Greatness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard#inspireGreatness) is core; two extra HD are two extra HD, after all!

* They also advance other things, such as CL (but not spells known/spells per day), ability DC based on HD (but not new abilities), and so forth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm).

rdcoll
2012-09-22, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys - they were all much appreciated. The Bloodline rules were news to me (sounds like they would do the job) and I like the feat from Ravenloft too (it was called Laborious Training - thanks for pointing me to that). A little more digging turned up a Spycraft feat (Unlocked Potential) that does something similar too - raises the skill cap to 6 + character level for one skill. I'm sure one of these options will be acceptable.

Thanks again!