PDA

View Full Version : Kingmaker Stealing back the Stolen Lands

Dragonus45
2012-09-21, 09:18 PM
As you begin to leave the southern edge of Rostland, and thus Brevoy you lay eyes upon the trading post of Oleg Leveton the first, or last, stop into the stolen lands. Just a speck in the distance, it marks the threshold of your new destinies. You and your new companions had scarcely met but a week ago as you left civilization behind. Once you arrive, things will truly begin.

This is just going to be a quick opportunity for your characters to interact and for me to get an idea of your party dynamic while i prepare the ENCOUNTER AT OLEGS

Mari01
2012-09-22, 10:50 AM
What I wouldn't give for single digit temperatures!! How can people live like this? Winter turns to look at her companions. Does it even snow where you guys are from?

Athaleon
2012-09-22, 06:05 PM
Laine replies "Born and raised in Restov. Snow just buries us most winters, a real pain in the backside for everyone. Why, where're you from? "

Gwynfrid
2012-09-22, 08:16 PM
Veyraan hasn't been saying much during the first leagues of the journey south. Silently observing his companions, he attempts to imagine what kind of person they might be like, in keeping with their outward appearance.

When he opens his mouth for the first time, it is to answer the woman's question.

"I was born in the Icerime Peaks; we're no strangers to snow there. But surely we aren't going to go so far south that winter will cease to exist. I take it you hail from even colder climates ?"

Mari01, did you post a physical description and backstory beyond what's in your Mythweavers sheet ?

Mari01
2012-09-23, 02:11 AM
Ah the Icerime. A delightful place. I'm from the northern parts of Issia. Mountains and snow are what I've grown up on, so all of this, she motions in all directions, is just not cutting it. I don't remember the last time I looked down and didn't see either snow or rock.

Athaleon
2012-09-23, 02:33 AM
"Yeah, it's a damn shame we're not freezing our arses off in five feet of snow" Laine quipped, sarcasm all but dripping off his smile. "We'll need to generate some adversity for ourselves, now."

Angstrom
2012-09-23, 11:45 AM
Virgil, though rarely the one to begin conversation, was friendly and well-mannered on the trip from Restov. He is clearly a little disappointed when Veyraan's first words are so short, perhaps more could be coaxed from the enigmatic druid this evening at the trading post.

Hoping that the others will overlook him, Virgil offers no information on the home he left behind. He know's better than to subject himself to the teasing and disrespect that his disgraced family name carries.

Gwynfrid
2012-09-23, 06:24 PM
As the walking leagues go by, Veyraan begins to overcome his initial shyness and responds to the young priest's overtures. His chatter, cautious at first, grows more natural along the way, and he shares some anecdotes from his explorations of the mountains.

"... This was the only time I saw a avalanche this close. A most awesome sight, and more a little terrifying, let me tell you. If it weren't for that big rock I managed to hide behind, I would not be here to tell the tale."

All of a sudden, he switches to a completely different subject.

"And, if I may ask, what brings you to undertake such a big mission to the Stolen Lands ?"

Mari01
2012-09-23, 06:44 PM
Would you like the truthful answer or the good answer?

Angstrom
2012-09-23, 07:45 PM
"Big mission? I'm not sure a few bandits can be thought of as big. Ruffians like them don't deserve to be credited as an actual threat to civilization."

Virgil hoped his vague misdirection would satisfy the druid. He preferred lies of omission over lying directly when possible. If it were revealed that his enlistment wasn't being backed by the Abadarian church as he had claimed, he could get summoned back to Restov to stand trial. Hopefully that fiasco could be avoided if he maintained his cover of 'civilized missionary'.

Gwynfrid
2012-09-23, 08:05 PM
"Well, it's not just about a few bandits. The charter calls for exploration of an area the size of Lake Reykal ! Not something one can do in a few weeks. I, for one, am eager to discover what may be found in those lands."

Turning to Winter, he looks a little surprised, even embarrassed.

"Er... I won't push the matter, if you don't like to answer that question... "

Mari01
2012-09-23, 11:21 PM
"Broadening my horizons", or "questing for knowledge", sounds a lot better than murdering bandits in some uncontrolled area for money right?

Athaleon
2012-09-24, 12:24 AM
"Hey, it's not murder if they're bandits. Call it proactive self-defense," Laine jokes. "Remove vermin from premises & get paid handsomely, I'd say everyone wins."

Angstrom
2012-09-24, 01:19 AM
"Unorthodox and quite unacceptable in most places, I think in the Stolen Lands there may be some truth to your words. These bandits gave up their right to due process when they decided they would kill and steal on the fringes of civilization. Brutal justice for a brutal place, almost poetically simple. Still, some may still be redeemed, let's not forget that."

Gwynfrid
2012-09-24, 05:59 AM
"I don't consider it murder, since we have official writ to enact justice. That justice will be summary, but I don't think this bothers the Swordlords too much. Rostland has a right to defend itself against threats. Besides, I suspect if we meet bandits, it will be a matter of survival for us.

Now, our charter allows for repentance. But before we have to deal with repentant bandits, we first need to beat them, don't we ?"

Athaleon
2012-09-26, 07:22 PM
"First things first, let's get to that outpost. Never make important decisions, it is well said, when you're tired or hungry, and right now I'm both. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when we're planning our next move, we'll all think more clearly after dinner and a bath."

Angstrom
2012-09-26, 07:32 PM
"You're speaking my language Laine" Virgil remarks as he scratches at his stubble. "Cleaning up and eating a meal that wasn't cooked over a campfire. That's your best idea yet."

With that he quickens his pace and urges Irving forward as well.

Irving is a mule. Virgil would offer to have him help carry other people's gear as well.

Gwynfrid
2012-09-26, 08:00 PM
"Well said, indeed... Especially as Oleg's might be our last warm bed for a while. Beyond that, it's said to be all savage lands," the young man says, with a smile that indicates he welcomes the prospect of wild spaces, at least as much as that of a comfortable inn.

High above, a very large bird flies over, not for the first time.

Dayaz
2012-09-28, 11:26 PM
Geran twitched slightly, hearing his new comrades casually talking about killing bandits. While he was a rather heartless individual, he had once BEEN one of those bandits, doing everything he could to survive in the heartless Stolen Lands.

"Come now, friends, there's no reason to be cruel. While they are lawless vagabonds, they are also someones family, just as we each were once." Geran smiled, brushing his fiery red hair away from his eyes. Seeing the outpost, and hearing the suggestion of Laine, Geran directed his donkey, Ecnud, towards it. "But yes, let's not speak of these matters lightly while hungry. My mother was always fond of telling our... friends that thinking violence on an empty stomach was bad for our health."

Athaleon
2012-09-29, 01:35 AM
"Everyone is someone's family, doesn't make anyone special. Even Razmir had a mother, after all."

Gwynfrid
2012-09-30, 09:19 PM
"Geran, you are a man of good sense. I would decidedly prefer talk of what might our next meal be, rather than which criminals deserve the worst punishment. We shouldn't be too far by now..." The slim young man hurries down the path, impatient to get to the group's destination.

Dayaz
2012-10-02, 06:41 PM
Geran blinked after the young man who had spoken to him about having good sense. With a frown, he turned back to the road. "It's not a matter of good sense. I just find it shortsighted and wasteful. Why would you kill someone who could be of use to you?

Athaleon
2012-10-02, 06:45 PM
"He'd stab you in the back as soon as the opportunity arises, if someone else pays him more or just for the sheer hell of it."

Gwynfrid
2012-10-02, 09:58 PM
"Gentlemen, I would suggest that we refrain from passing judgment, one way or another, on any bandits until we actually meet some. Oh, and we'd need to capture them too, by the way," answers Veyraan, smiling.

Not to mention, and to survive the encounter, he adds to himself silently.