PDA

View Full Version : ??Binder/DragonFire Adept/Anima Mage???

silverwolfer
2012-09-21, 11:00 PM
So with a lil bit of modification

If you allowed a DragonFire Adept to use Anima mage

How well would DFA and Binder work together ?

Answerer
2012-09-21, 11:14 PM
Probably pretty well, as far as breath weapon/invocations plus vestiges would go. But one of the stand-out features of Anima Mage is Vestige Metamagic, which... wouldn't really apply to invocations.

silverwolfer
2012-09-21, 11:25 PM
Probably pretty well, as far as breath weapon/invocations plus vestiges would go. But one of the stand-out features of Anima Mage is Vestige Metamagic, which... wouldn't really apply to invocations.

hmm, if we are already tweeking things, could make it a metabreath action.

killianh
2012-09-21, 11:42 PM
I think the big downside with that build is that your breath weapon wouldn't progress, and some of the best power that class holds is through it's breath effects and metabreath effects (you need to spend a feat on power surge to start applying methbreath, but WAY worth it)

Now a binder dip on the other hand could be very helpful, but DFA is one of those tricky classes where it offers enough unique stuff to make it a class you don't really need to PrC out of to increase it's power or play catch up. DFA with something Incarnum based (since they all run off of CON) might be a better fit if you're looking for crunch over fluff

silverwolfer
2012-09-22, 02:08 AM
I really know nothing about INcarnum, and most the DM's at mythweaver kind of ban that book. Even more so then TOB haha, well anyways while the breath effects would not be about, entangling would be, put with all the melee abilties that the binder may have, the only worry I honestly would have is the health and skill points.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-22, 02:21 AM
I really know nothing about INcarnum, and most the DM's at mythweaver kind of ban that book. Even more so then TOB haha, well anyways while the breath effects would not be about, entangling would be, put with all the melee abilties that the binder may have, the only worry I honestly would have is the health and skill points.

Considering neither of the classes are Incarnum, your argument is irrelevant.

The argument that you would have to completely rewrite the class, due to metamagic mechanics being inehrent in the PrC, however, is quite valid.

By the time you got done making it something that would fit, it would resemble Anima Mage about as much as Eldritch Disciple resembles Mystic Theurge.

Answerer
2012-09-22, 08:58 AM
hmm, if we are already tweeking things, could make it a metabreath action.
Most feel that DfAs don't qualify for Metabreath feats. Just saying.

I think the big downside with that build is that your breath weapon wouldn't progress, and some of the best power that class holds is through it's breath effects and metabreath effects (you need to spend a feat on power surge to start applying methbreath, but WAY worth it)
Clarification: your breath weapon damage definitely progresses, but sadly your breath effects do not (since they're not just a special type of invocation a la Warlock Eldritch Shapes/Essences, but a separate class feature).

silverwolfer
2012-09-22, 11:42 AM
Considering neither of the classes are Incarnum, your argument is irrelevant.

The argument that you would have to completely rewrite the class, due to metamagic mechanics being inehrent in the PrC, however, is quite valid.

By the time you got done making it something that would fit, it would resemble Anima Mage about as much as Eldritch Disciple resembles Mystic Theurge.

Really? you think so? Losing one power for a meta breath feat...is a HUGE? rewrite? sounds more like a simple thing you would find in an adaption section of a prc.

Plus the utter lack of you reading about by what was posted by killiah , dealing with INCARNUM ... uhg, you didn't even bother to read the thread and you decided to bad mouth the entire idea. Please just go away

Now for the next idea

@ Answerer, Agreed but we are already shifting things about, so I don't think RAW is the concern here, just the viability of a binder/DFA combo.

The invocation would grow also.

Psyren
2012-09-22, 11:49 AM
For the metabreath thing - even without the rewrite, you could cheat your way into a metabreath feat by binding a vestige (e.g. Amon) whose breath weapon cooldown is measured in rounds, but then simply applying it to your DFA weapon. This is the same trick used by people who dip Dragon Shaman on their DFA to take metabreaths.

Snowbluff
2012-09-22, 10:13 PM
Most feel that DfAs don't qualify for Metabreath feats. Just saying.

Binders can get Breath Weapons with recharge times in rounds... wait... so you can shun Amun so you can use his breath with a Metabreath for free...? :smalleek::smallannoyed::smallfrown: