PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Spell Bubble

Hanuman
2012-09-22, 05:11 AM
So a cool thought came to me, why not have some way to force other people's spells to follow the same rules as:
http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/extraordinary-spell-aim--1057/

I mean, need not be spellcraft but I think it would be more interesting than a lot of the vanilla paladin or protector-like effects.

Debihuman
2012-09-22, 07:17 AM
I usually recommend against hijacking other people's characters. If you want this cool effect, that's great. You can recommend it for sure. However, I don't think you should force it on anyone.

Debby

galan
2012-09-22, 11:02 AM
making someone's else fireball not harming you is much stronger then making your fireball not harming an ally. i think it will work much better as high lvl de-buff then a feat you can use all the time (or a cursed item, of course).

if you still want a feat, i think it should be an opposed spellcraft check (it's sound so wrong. am i using the right words?) between the spellcaster and the feat user, with some disadvantage for the feat user (like being tired after doing so, or wasting a spell slot of X lvl for this) to prevent the character using this feat for every spell in the game.

TuggyNE
2012-09-22, 05:15 PM
if you still want a feat, i think it should be an opposed spellcraft check (it's sound so wrong. am i using the right words?) between the spellcaster and the feat user, with some disadvantage for the feat user (like [...] wasting a spell slot of X lvl for this) to prevent the character using this feat for every spell in the game.

Probably opposed caster level check (Spellcraft could work, but it unfairly penalizes non-Int-based casters). What you describe sounds almost exactly like counterspelling, though. Which actually suggests a way to adapt this: make a feat that gives you the ability to partially counterspell without readying an action (as an immediate?), but your counterspell, if successful, only prevents the spell from affecting you.

Alternatively, make this a uses/day feat, and model it loosely after sphere of invulnerability, except target-specific and applying to all spell levels.

Hanuman
2012-09-22, 06:20 PM
Generally its an offensive ability, you attack an opponents spell or shield an ally from friendly fire. The same thinking could convert L to NL.
I was thinking /day as a class feature immediate action within 30'