PDA

View Full Version : Correct CR for an MM2 Creature?

Palanan
2012-09-22, 08:37 AM
In our last session I used a simple wilderness encounter involving a swamplight lynx...but now I'm trying to work out the CR, which is less simple, and I'm a little uncertain about what value I should use.

--Actually, completely lost. There's a long-running thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187046) devoted to recalculating CR for everything in MM2, and I expect the swamplight lynx will need some sort of adjustment. Unfortunately, that thread seems to have run its last, and they didn't get anywhere close to the S's.

I've looked at the formula they used, but I think this wants more of a feel for game mechanics than I really have. Could someone suggest a reasonable CR for the swamplight lynx? I wanted to scale it down a little, so I started it with 55 hp rather than 85, but otherwise didn't change anything.

Aharon
2012-09-22, 09:19 AM
I don't have much experience changing CRs around, but this seems to be ok to me. Compare it to the Umber Hulk (also CR7, MM1). Slightly better BAB, less AC, more HP and blur to compensate, no SLAs that are useful for attacking, less damage, more damage when pouncing.

Overall, seems pretty balanced for the intended role.

Palanan
2012-09-22, 09:30 AM
Well, I suppose I really have two questions here. First, given that most everything from the MM2 seems to be out of whack, is the swamplight lynx truly a CR 7 creature?

And, what would be the effect on its base CR--whatever that might be--from my reducing its hit points to 55?

Aharon
2012-09-22, 09:37 AM
As I said, it's current CR should be ok - deadly as a CR+4 encounter, Challenging as CR+1-+3, doable at equal CR.

Reducing its HP by 30 would make it CR 4, IMO - more effective than a bison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bison.htm), but essentially the same role, charging and dealing damage. Daze is now a useful tactic, as the PCs might be effected if they are below level 5 - two shadow lynxes could work as a team - one dazes the target, the other has a better chance to attack.

In marsh or swamp terrain, I would probably adjust the XP for them because terrain favors them, but not change the CR.