PDA

View Full Version : Black Powder Druid [PF]

Tokuhara
2012-09-22, 10:52 AM
This is probably the strangest build I've ever thought up and while legal, I need workarounds for fluff.

Race: Vanara
Class: Druid with Black Powder Inquisition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/inquisitions/black-powder-inquisition) 20

Yes, it's a Vanara Druid with a Gun.

So here's the question: How can I fluff a Jungle-dwelling druid with a gun?

Blisstake
2012-09-22, 11:08 AM
Huh, I remember in the Golarion setting there's a giant ape, in the Mwangi Expanse (huge jungle) who managed to commandeer the Inner Sea Region's largest cannon. Maybe it was dissassembled and re-engineered into individual guns which were then passed on to the most promising of his monkey bretheren, even if they studied druidic magic previously.

That's something that could work for Golarion maybe, but I have no idea what kind of setting you're playing in :smallsmile:

Frosty
2012-09-22, 11:15 AM
So are you a druid or an Inquisitor? I am confused.

Tokuhara
2012-09-22, 11:18 AM
So are you a druid or an Inquisitor? I am confused.

Druid, but I'm giving up my Domain for an Inquisition.

And likely, it's Golarion

Psyren
2012-09-22, 11:36 AM
Strange magic is causing the beasts of the jungle to overbreed and overpopulate, destroying the natural resources of the land. You're here to restore balance - ****** shotgun musket* - one bullet at a time.

Kudos on a unique - and very odd - concept, btw.

EDIT: I guess the board filter doesn't like co cks, regardless of context.

Tokuhara
2012-09-22, 11:58 AM
So a druid with a gun isn't that weird overall? I expected a lot of fluff questions.

TheJudicator
2012-09-22, 08:32 PM
From purely a roleplay standpoint...some people I play with would flat out say no to this. Granted, these same people also believe that the "no metal" rule for armor extends to weapons, so I don't personally take their opinion to count. The way I see it, a druid's main purpose is to use their power to work more towards a balance with nature. By using black powder technology, said druid could likely be proving a point to civilized society just how destructive it is in capable hands.

That being aside, I am very curious as to how you determined that this combo was rules-legal. Under the Inquisitions page, yes it does indeed say other classes that can take domains can take inquisitions. However, the Druid page gives a very specific, finite list of legal domains. Enlighten me, please?

Slipperychicken
2012-09-22, 08:57 PM
Fluffwise, it's the same deal as using a bow or a sword to kill stuff. You might consider gunpowder to not be a perversion of nature -just another mix of natural herbs and reagents.

However, you're pumping hot lead into nature (which screws with the ecosystem when you do too much of it), which isn't exactly Druid-Kosher, but probably won't kick you out of the class, either.

Crunchwise, you're adding another stat to worry about -Dex, making you a little less SAD and a little more MAD. And I don't know how you expect to deal damage with a gun, since you can't add a stat to it (without dipping Gunslinger5, anyway), don't have alternative damage-sources, and you don't have full BAB (and Dex is at best a secondary stat for you), so Deadly Aim will be harder to pull off.

@Judicator: What book is that list in? I don't see it on the SRD, and I just want to confirm.

grarrrg
2012-09-22, 08:59 PM
The way I see it, a druid's main purpose is to use their power to work more towards a balance with nature. By using black powder technology, said druid could likely be proving a point to civilized society just how destructive it is in capable hands.

That being aside, I am very curious as to how you determined that this combo was rules-legal. Under the Inquisitions page, yes it does indeed say other classes that can take domains can take inquisitions. However, the Druid page gives a very specific, finite list of legal domains. Enlighten me, please?

I agree that its questionable if Druid's can take any Inquisitions.
Although Black Powder is, technically, one of the more allowable ones if you interpret the flavor right.
From Black Powder Inquisition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/inquisitions/black-powder-inquisition)
"Some inquisitor domains are not the domains of their faith but are movements within a number of faiths. Many religious individuals and orders find themselves in conflict with the users of arcane magic, and have created inquisitions and training regimens expressly to fight arcane spellcasters.

Deities: Any (with GM approval)."

Just make sure your Druid has a raging hatred of any/all arcane casters and you should be free to use all the guns you want (and check with your GM of course).
The Wizards are destroying my forest! I must destroy them!

Tokuhara
2012-09-22, 09:12 PM
Since early firearms were little more than metal rods embedded into trees, one could say that it is still a "natural" weapon, and the fact that the Owlbear and other magical monstrosities exist is reason enough to put a cap in some Wizard's bum.

And I understand that Druid isn't very good with anything that isn't attached to something that defalcates in the woods, but it's reasonable damage and it's basically a touch attack. If I miss with a freaking touch attack, I'm doing it wrong. Especially if I use a Culverin or a Double Hackbut. Besides, a little MAD for the Druid is like a Wizard taking a level in anything. Now his casting progression is that of Sorcerer, which isn't a bad thing.

TheJudicator
2012-09-22, 09:16 PM
@Slipperychicken
I wasn't sure which list you were asking, so I'll simply cite my sources.

The list of allowed domains for Druids (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid) is found under the Nature's Bond feature.

The list for Inquisitions (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/inquisitions) is right here.

Tokuhara
2012-09-22, 09:19 PM
@Slipperychicken
I wasn't sure which list you were asking, so I'll simply cite my sources.

The list of allowed domains for Druids (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid) is found under the Nature's Bond feature.

I'd like to smugly point out that under the Domain requirements for BPI, it says, "Any (ask GM)" which means that with some wise negotiations, any domain can be fluffed to need a Double Hackbut and anti-wizard abilities

Slipperychicken
2012-09-23, 02:32 PM
If I miss with a freaking touch attack, I'm doing it wrong.

I forgot that guns use Touch Attacks. Yeah, 3/4 BAB and mediocre Dex should score you hits against Touch AC. The damage problem is somewhat offset by Deadly Aim, but does remain; what else is the Druid adding to the gun damage to make it worthwhile? TWF with paper cartridges could work for attack spamming, but it feels like you need a little more than that to be a viable gun-user (and justify the feat expenditure).

Tokuhara
2012-09-23, 03:18 PM
I forgot that guns use Touch Attacks. Yeah, 3/4 BAB and mediocre Dex should score you hits against Touch AC. The damage problem is somewhat offset by Deadly Aim, but does remain; what else is the Druid adding to the gun damage to make it worthwhile? TWF with paper cartridges could work for attack spamming, but it feels like you need a little more than that to be a viable gun-user (and justify the feat expenditure).

The gun is for when a spell wouldn't help me (target is unaffected by my spells) and is too far away for Wildshape to be of use. Plus, I could spend a feat for Amateur Gunslinger for Deadeye (remember, Wisdom-based caster) or Quick Clear and now have a reliable ranged touch attack that 9/10 times hits (Touch AC vs my To-Hit) my target and does reasonable damage.