PDA

View Full Version : The Loamknives: IC

Maquise
2012-09-22, 03:21 PM
A single light breaks the perfect darkness of the winding cave passage as seven figures make their way through the musty, dank tunnel. The quarters are close; an adult human would have to crawl on their hands and knees, but none in the party stand taller than four feet.

They proceed silently, their footfalls hardly making a noise. The silence is disturbed only by the occasional sound of water dripping echoing throughout the caverns. The lead figure carries a metallic rod, the tip of which emits a steady, amber glow bright enough to illuminate their path.

After some time, they come to a more open chamber, with several passages branching off. The lead, an older halfling with an air of authority about him by the name of Corran Hornhunter, plants the sunrod in the ground, so it illuminates a clear section of the chamber. Sitting down, he opens his pack and removes a rolled up map, opening it and displaying it for his six companions.

“Now that we are far and away from any potential prying eyes, I’ll explain our mission. As you are all novices, I decided on something fairly simple. One of our scouts noticed a small warband wearing Angrovite uniforms marching up the Bitterwater river bed.” He traces the route along the map with his finger as it curls up towards the group’s home city’s southern wall. “They are hidden behind a bluff, so they could potentially use it as a staging point to launch an attack on the Whiteveil. We are to observe the strength and actions of this warband, and attack if we, that is I as the company leader, determine it is viable. Jada,” he says, referring to a wizened halfling with spectacles, “I believe you are familiar with the area. Do you have any suggestions?”

(I like to have players help world-build; feel free to make up any environmental features you would like to. The rest of you may chime in as you wish.)

Dudu
2012-09-22, 04:56 PM
Calvin Wayfarer, a very discreet halfling, effortfully tries to communicate with his teammates. He was deaf since birth, so when he talks he does so in a very clumsy way, and that's why he avoids to actually talk, rather employing symbols, codes, writing, or "silent talk" (just moving his lips).

He has an idea, yes.
He proposes to plant insecurity in enemies camp.

If he can infiltrate there and cast Murderous Command (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/murderousCommand.html#_murderous-command), maybe one of the Angrovites (if they really are Angrovites, by the way) will slay one of his colleagues, which will insite one hell of a situation there.

Calvin is able to cast any spell he knows as they were under silent metamagic. So if he is well hidden, he can cast it. The question is if they can make the DC or if they can identify the attempt of murder as an effect of a spell. If they're just a bunch of grunts (and Calvin will target the most gruntlike, stupid guy he can) they will have a hard time both at saving against the spell and realizing the nature of the murder attempt.

What you guys think?

edit: He needs to actually enter the camp, instead of just spotting from afar, since the spell is close range. So it might be a good idea that at least another halfling, very stealthy and perfectly able to hear come with him.

Space Lawyer
2012-09-22, 06:21 PM
Arcela leans back against a wall. I'm not so much sneaky, but I can distract a bit at the front gate. I have a knack for getting people to trust me and for making them my friend.My penchant for mischief may help us quite a bit.

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-22, 10:39 PM
Jada moves his fingers over the map his hawk looking down at it too, "The area surrounding the bluff is mostly forests, we can approach at night and observe through the trees, they will have trouble spotting us. During the day I can go out alone, using my "Skills" I can watch their movements more closely. If push comes to shove, and they are camped close enough to the side of the bluff we can cause an avalance or roll some dead trees down the cliff." He accurately traces his fingers over the map showing what spots he is talking about, despite never opening his eyes. Then Jada speaks towards Calvin "We could lower you down the side with a rope, then pull you back up?" he laughs slightly at the thought.

I'm going under the assumption that only higher ups know what my skills are so I'm going to keep the fact that his sight, hearing, and smell are in the bird a secret. FYI DM: Only got a hawk right now, planning on adding a wolf at lv3

Mari01
2012-09-23, 02:43 AM
If you need something done quietly, look no further than me. I'm sure I can set you up for your spells given enough time.

Angstrom
2012-09-23, 11:30 AM
"Quiet and unseen, I was hoping we all were. So Corran, how close do these tunnels put us to our destination? Step one is to assess the treat level of this encampment right? Plans can be made once we know what we're up against."

Morbis Meh
2012-09-23, 12:16 PM
Jeremiah is happily humming away in the corner, he assumed most of the people here were locals but he was not overly familiar with the land per se but he knew more about the world geography in a holistic sense. He idly fingers his holy symbol unconsciously before speaking up "I can both sneak and distract the targets but I am afraid I came here from the opposite direction around the Milnar lowlands... "

Maquise
2012-09-23, 02:10 PM
Corran nods as he looks at the region Jada indicated. "There is a cave exit here," he indicates an area north of the bluff. "We should be able to make it to the treeline from there, then approach through the forest without being detected. Your ability to observe the enemy undetected will come in most useful; once we get a better idea of what we are dealing with, we can make further plans."

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-23, 05:34 PM
Jada nods then points to a spot on the map in the middle of dense forest, about four miles away from the cliff "There is a small natural stream here, it should work as our base of operations, as it curves around on its self, so none of the enemy will suspect anyone would be in the area. I only know of it because in my youth I wondering this woods, and came on it in search of water.

Maquise
2012-09-25, 09:32 AM
Corran nods. "I know of that location; it will suffice. We're moving on." He picks up the map and sunrod, and the group continues its silent march into the darkness.

Some time later, a well-concealed exit hidden at the base of a hollow stump opens up, and the seven halflings emerge into the amber light of dusk. "Good, soon it will be night. I hope you aren't afraid of the dark."

The group begins to move over the plains towards the treeline.

Corran - Survival (DC 13): [roll0]
Aided by:
Jada Manifir: [roll1]

The company is able to move in the night without leaving a trail or attracting attention. They successfully make it to their destination in two hours.

Near the stream, there is a large rock shelf jutting out, with a low space beneath it. "We can camp here, and remain undetected."

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-26, 12:27 AM
Jada sits down on the ground, and has his Hawk Fly around the area to make sure nothing dangerous,

[roll0]Perception for hawk/Jada

Morbis Meh
2012-09-26, 08:21 AM
Jeremiah begins wrestling/playing with Brutus, his trusty riding companion, he wasn't overly concerned with look out because he figured what will happen was always meant to be.

Angstrom
2012-09-26, 12:26 PM
"While you make camp I'll do some quick reconnaissance of the Angrovite group. With night coming they won't be able to see me; although, even if I was spotted I can guarantee they wouldn't be able to catch me. In a few hours we can meet back here for a meal and plan our response."

Ernie looks to Corran for permission before heading out into the twilight. He fully expects others to insist on coming with him, but felt that demonstrating an eagerness to serve Whiteveil was necessary to earn their leader's trust. His only concern, if he were to go out alone, would be finding his way back to the campsite. Without the city's many landmarks to pinpoint his location, he doubts he'd be able to retrace his steps.

Space Lawyer
2012-09-26, 12:52 PM
Arcela, leery of remaining in one place for any amount of time, leaps to his feet. "I'll head out with him and provide some backup. I can provide some distraction if we get spotted.

Mari01
2012-09-26, 02:00 PM
I suppose I'll tag along with the scouting party. Splitting up on the first team mission seems like a bad idea. Don't jinx us!

Morbis Meh
2012-09-26, 02:27 PM
Jeremiah looks up suddenly from his playing, just long enough for Brutus to roll him on his back and pin him to the ground. Brutus then began licking Jeremiah furiously "Hey, not now boy, we have work to do! Ugh, remind me never to give you table scrabs again your breath is atrocious. Now get off of me you big lout or else I won't play fetch with you later!" Brutus let out a whimper and slowly got off of Jeremiah then sat down, hanging his head down. "Hey, none of that now you big suck, you know you're my number one! Besides we get to hunt down of Infernal tyrants, wouldn't you like a new infernal chew toy? Wouldn't you, wouldn't you? Who's a good boy?" Upon the mention of the words infernal and chew Brutus becomes excited spinning around in a circle, his tail waggin wildly.

Maquise
2012-09-26, 04:00 PM
Corran shakes his head. "Brogard, would you get that mutt of yours under control? We're kind of in the middle of something important."

Turning to the others, he says, "Very well. It makes more sense to scout with fewer of our numbers anyway. Approach from the east; it will be dawn soon, and it will be easier to conceal yourselves with the sun at your back."

While the four to remain begin unpacking, the three that volunteered for the scout mission discuss their plans before moving out.

Crazyfailure13
2012-09-26, 05:39 PM
After Jada finishes his search his hawk returns, and he goes to sleep, with his hawk standing watch on top of him, ready to wake him in an emergency or after 8 hours.

Dudu
2012-09-26, 11:12 PM
Calvin also goes for a nap.

Unless he was drafted to the stealth mission. Then he will help.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-27, 09:03 AM
Jeremiah gives a pained look "Sir he's just excited and he isn't a mutt he is a fine breed of Pit Bull! He isn't making any noise so what's the harm in a little fun? He will make a good watch when we are sleeping..." He looks at Brutus and the dog can sense his owner's sadness thus responding accordingly.

Maquise
2012-09-27, 10:19 PM
(Waiting for scouts to post)

Space Lawyer
2012-09-28, 07:24 AM
So, ahhh, what's the plan? I'm thinking we head to the edge of the bluff, see what we can get from there, then climb down into the camp. If we see any easy opportunities for some sabotage, I say we take advantage of them.

Dudu
2012-09-28, 10:03 AM
Calvin reads his intentions and signal to the scout team to stop a little and listen.

"I though you were just scouting. But if there's opportunity to sabotage, there's no reason to not take me in the scout group."

It's basically what he says in his sign language.

In short, if you're taking some actions, it's a good idea to take Calvin with the team. He can be stealthy pretty well and also has darkvision. Plus, Murderous Command is always a nice option of sabotage.

Maquise
2012-09-28, 10:09 AM
"Keep it to scouting only; Do not enter the enemy for any reason! Go, take a look at what is happening, and come back immediately."

Maquise
2012-09-28, 10:14 AM
Ernie, Arcela, and Cora depart to scout the enemy camp. Arcela holds back, out of sight of the camp, while the other two, most skilled at moving silently, make the approach.

Stealth (+2 circumstance):
Ernie: [roll0]
Cora: [roll1]

Perception:
Ernie: [roll2]
Cora: [roll3]

Cora and Ernie see a small encampment, filled with the grey uniformed soldiers of Angrove. There are the usual features of a military camp: lines of single-man sleeping tents, fires for cooking, a mess tent, an officer's pavilion, storage tents, and a smithy. But there is also another tent the scouts cannot immediately identify. It is large, circular, and pure sable black.

Cora can also see the armored figure of a knight of Angrove walking amongst the men. She finds it unusual that such a high-ranking figure would be present in a small camp like this.

Angstrom
2012-09-30, 05:32 PM
Ernie takes a minute to memorize the layout as precisely as possible so he share it with the rest of the team when they regroup. He does a quick count of the number of tents and where any guards seem to be posted. When he has committed the camp to memory he turns to Cora.

"Interesting, we should report back immediately and see if the others can tell us more about that tent."

Mari01
2012-10-01, 10:36 AM
Somethings not right. That one in the armor way outranks everyone else here. They're expecting some kind of trouble. We need to move. Quickly.

Maquise
2012-10-01, 04:34 PM
The scouting party returns to the main camp immediately. The sentry on duty recognizes them, and alerts Corran to their approach. The veteran Loamknife has them report immediately.

"So, there is a diabolist there, it sounds like. They are the usual inhabitants of black tents such as the one you described. Not unusual in a smaller encampment; they prefer working in secret.

What is unusual is the knight. They would almost never command a unit this small. That both are here? Something big is going on."

Angstrom
2012-10-02, 12:04 AM
"So does the plan change? If you want to soften them up before hitting the camp we can launch a ranged strike from the bluff as a distraction, or some of us can infiltrate the camp and see what's in the diabolist's tent. If they're here we should find out why. Kill them out too while we're there."

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-02, 02:38 AM
After awhile, Jada's Hawk makes a clicking noise with it's beak and it's foot begins tapping on Jada's head, Jada's eyes open for a moment, showing the dark abyssal iris underneath them then close as he sits up listening to the conversations, while doing his usual morning activities, eating breakfeast, getting some water, stretching, preparing his spells, Etc.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-02, 10:05 AM
Jeremiah absently looks into the distance "I will handle the knight... He is the anathema to what I stand for. I can also strike from a distance, my maneuverability is also good."

Maquise
2012-10-02, 11:54 AM
"Those knights are veteran warriors; each one is highly skilled in the art of combat. Each one can best a dire wolf in single combat. Do not attempt to take him alone. Instead, lure him into an ambush. That should be easy, since their pride won't allow them to let an enemy escape." Noticing the curious glances of the others, Corran says, "I've learned quite a bit in my time. These knights all fiercely rival each other. I once spied upon two drinking together; what I learned was of great help."

Corran pauses a moment, pondering. He passes his eyes over his companions. "Alright, I think I have a plan. I can go up to the bluff and snipe with my sling. I might even be able to start an avalanche. Brogard, during the chaos, ride in and attack the knight. While this is happening, Manifir, Underbough and Collins are to prepare an ambush. Assuming he takes the bait, Brogard will lure the knight into the ambush where he will be slain. Brightblood and Wayfarer, hold until you see the diabolist. I have a feeling your powers will be needed most against him."

Space Lawyer
2012-10-02, 12:00 PM
Arcela begins pacing around. Eh, I don't favor myself against whatever nasty things this diabolist will be summoning up, but if we hit before the diabolist has a chance to get any defenses up or summon anything, maybe so. I can throw a bit into confusing the rank-and-files too.

Dudu
2012-10-02, 01:04 PM
"Copy that" signals the laconic Calvin.

He is rested after taking a peaceful nap.

"Maybe an obscuring mist could separate the group and give us precious time. Murderous Command might also come in handy depending on the combat competence of our enemies. And last, sanctuary can enter the game if trouble arises."

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-02, 09:46 PM
Jada looks to corran "Wait... this knight doesn't back down from a challenge? What if, say, a hawk came around, **** on his head and ran off? Would he chase it, say into the forest?"

Maquise
2012-10-02, 10:08 PM
Corran blinks at Jada's question. "Not likely. If a foe struck him and ran, he would look weak not to pursue. But he would look foolish to chase a bird."

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-02, 10:14 PM
Jada nods "Fair enough, Though I think after enough Flyby's he may chase it, but oh well, not sure how good I'll be in an ambush. but I should do well enough, especially in a forest. Let's do it.

Angstrom
2012-10-03, 01:20 AM
"I can wait for this knight to arrive then engage in combat or I can stick him full of arrows from hiding while Broggard leads him on a wild goose chase. Your choice sir, but I think we should aim to soften him up as much as possible if he's as tough as you say. Jada, perhaps with your familiarity with moving quickly in the forest you could help with hit and run tactics, using the undergrowth to escape."

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-03, 01:27 AM
"Once the knight sees us it'll be hard to get away, but I have a few spells that'll be useful in battle or if we have to run away, but I'd rather bring him/her down on the first try, so we don't alert them to enemy presence for no reason."

Mari01
2012-10-03, 01:30 AM
Why not have someone challenge him, then lure him into the ambush? A good blow with a mocking remark should be more than enough to get him to follow right?

Maquise
2012-10-06, 08:43 AM
"We must be careful, whatever we do. Do not underestimate the enemy; if the knight suspects our plan, it will likely be completely reversed. The key, I think, is to remain completely concealed until the knight is isolated from his allies."

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-06, 08:38 PM
Jada takes his hiding place in the Bushes around the ambush spot, letting his hawk sit in a branch above, so he has a view of the entire area. He also prepares to cast his planned spell at anytime.

Dudu
2012-10-06, 08:54 PM
Calvin rushes to also hide in the bushes. Preferably not to near Jada.

Angstrom
2012-10-06, 10:15 PM
Ernie takes up a spot opposite Calvin and readies a poisoned arrow hoping to end the fight before it begins.

Mari01
2012-10-07, 11:52 AM
Preferring the higher vantage point, Cora climbs a tree and waits.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-08, 07:31 AM
Arcela takes up a spot near Calvin. He tries to emulate the quiet determination of the others, but just can't pull off that look.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-08, 09:29 PM
Jeremiah quietly urges Rufus forward and remains silent with an arrow poised in case hell broke out.

Maquise
2012-10-09, 12:10 PM
The Loamknives assume their positions. It is a tense time as they wait for their plans to come to fruition.

In the camp, the soldiers go about their business as usual as the day progresses. Suddenly, there is a loud cracking sound, and half of the cliff comes down atop the camp, burying several tents and soldiers. The rest begin hurrying about, the knight shouting orders.

Suddenly, there is a loud clang, and one of the soldiers drops. This seems to confuse the rest, until another falls, at which point, they all sink to the ground, those with shields hiding behind them.

Maquise
2012-10-11, 09:34 AM
(Waiting for actions)

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-11, 09:51 AM
Jada keeps his position in the ambush zone, still and quiet, along with his pale skin and hair, you'd almost think he was dead.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-11, 11:00 AM
Jeremiah remains still but vigilant, waiting to see how the situation evolves from his current state. His gut feeling is telling him someone else is attacking, either a group of archers or possibily a flying enemy, he prayed for the former.

perception [roll0]
stealth [roll1]

Maquise
2012-10-11, 11:28 AM
Corran continues to attack from atop the bluff, as according to the plan. The rest of the team remains unnoticed for the time being.

A young woman in a black silk cloak appears, flanked by a muscular, savage-featured man with an axe. She begins speaking loudly to the knight, though none of the Loamknives can make out her words.

Suddenly, there is a flash of light, and a stone appears hovering for a brief second in front of her face, before falling to the ground. At that point, both she and her bodyguard vanish, leaving the knight looking stupefied.

Maquise
2012-10-13, 11:52 AM
(Are you all still interested in playing, or should I pull the plug?)

Crazyfailure13
2012-10-13, 12:04 PM
Jada sits in his bush, hoping to hear the clanking of knight boots anytime.

Still interested

Angstrom
2012-10-13, 12:16 PM
Ernie hides quietly in the bushes, waiting for the knight to move into position.

Dudu
2012-10-13, 01:17 PM
Calvin follows the plan to the core and mimic his companions behavior, waiting in bush for the knight.

However, he also tries to understand the unusual event that just happened before his eyes.

Knowledge and Spellcraft checks:
Arcana: [roll0]
Planes: [roll1]
Religion: [roll2]
Spellcraft: [roll3] (maybe with a penalty because he can't hear)

Maquise
2012-10-13, 01:33 PM
Dudu:
Calvin reasons that the figures most likely cast Vanish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vanish).

Maquise
2012-10-17, 01:03 PM
(Waiting for a character to take an active move)

Mari01
2012-10-17, 02:11 PM
Aren't we trying to ambush the knight? Is he close enough that we can attack?

Maquise
2012-10-17, 02:23 PM
(I was under the impression the plan was for Morbis to draw the knight out)

Morbis Meh
2012-10-17, 02:36 PM
Sorry I thought that wasn't the plan... besides how is a paladin supposed to draw out only a single person and not get everyone else coming with him?"
Jeremiah takes a deep breath then goes into plain view, so the knight could see him and so that he would have a better shot at his enemy.

move action: move to within 30 ft of knight if possible, standard smiting knight... I assumed due to the info given that he is evil if not then blarg
to hit [roll0]
damage [roll1]
if not evil then subtract 1 from to hit and 2 from damage

Maquise
2012-10-17, 02:54 PM
Jeremiah rides out, and his arrow successfully strikes the knight in one of his armor's joints. The knight pulls the shaft from his body and makes for his horse. A half-dozen soldiers move to protect him, but one is immediately downed by a sling stone.