PDA

View Full Version : Important gear for a spy?

silverwolfer
2012-09-22, 06:37 PM
Hmm, I have glamered armor, and a hat of disguise....what else may I be missing?

Narren
2012-09-22, 07:06 PM
Exactly what kind of spy will you be? I assume from your gear that you'll be pretending to be someone you're not. In that case, anything that boosts your charisma will help. What race, class, and level will you be?

Flickerdart
2012-09-22, 07:21 PM
Laser watch, poison dart pen, invisible Aston Martin... :smallamused:

Averis Vol
2012-09-22, 07:23 PM
ring of invisibility, potions of glibness, manyfanged sap, ring of lockpicking, chimes of opening.....cant think of anything else, hope that helps.

silverwolfer
2012-09-22, 07:34 PM
har har mr dog lol

changeling level 12 rogue/cabnit trickster

Asheram
2012-09-22, 07:43 PM
Rod of ropes. Every spy needs a grappling hook!

silverwolfer
2012-09-22, 08:15 PM
Ive thought of that, and am digging into the arms and equipment guide right now

MAWHWHAHWHAHWA

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-22, 08:30 PM
If you're not the DM, check to see if the Changeling's racial Change Shape ability stacks with the hat of disguise.

Secondly, try tossing some Mindspy (CW) levels onto the end of that build somewhere. Perhaps something like... (assuming ECL 17) Rogue 7/CabTrick 5/Mindspy 5? Less sneak attack, but being able to read the minds of four people simultaneously, along with a slightly better ability to defend yourself.

I'm going to assume that you're taking at least the first Changeling Rogue Racial substitution level (and if not, why in the Nine Hells not?), so a focus on social skills isn't out of the question.

silverwolfer
2012-09-22, 08:47 PM
Yes to all of the above, but also taking a dip in binder * just one* with improved binding, to add utility incase I get stuck in with some actual fighting.

Morithias
2012-09-22, 08:52 PM
It's probably the only time I'll ever say this, but consider the infiltrator from Weapons of Legacy. It's probably the only legacy item I ever actually used, and it's custom made for a changeling practically.

silverwolfer
2012-09-22, 10:15 PM
What do you guys think about getting a wand of acid or something for those pesky lock doors.

yeah lets start their, what sort of wands should I aim for? I have about 40k of spending money right now extra

Flickerdart
2012-09-22, 10:27 PM
Shooting locks with acid is pointless when you can just put Knock on a wand and open them nondestructively. Guidance of the Avatar and Glibness are also good candidates for wands (big fat skill check bonuses are always useful).

gorfnab
2012-09-22, 10:49 PM
Circlet of Persuasion is a nice boost to Cha skills.

When I'm playing in a campaign and have GP to spend I usually glance through Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)

Wise Green Bean
2012-09-22, 11:10 PM
Wand of glibness and/or suggestion.
Ring of invisibility + some sort of flight and you are undetectable without magical aid.
Wand of knock.
Perhaps some way to get trueseeing or scry?
Wouldn't say no to some teleportation ability.
A wand of minor image. They don't notice see you open the door, the guard chasing you think you went left when really you went right, you trick someone into falling down a hole that looks like normal floor. The only limits are your creativity.
A wand of silence.
Wand of grease is also nice for utility. Course, soap will usually do the trick if you're GM is nice, but that takes a while and can't do some things grease can.

avr
2012-09-22, 11:14 PM
Expendable items are often a good buy. Dust of Tracelessness will likely be handy. Scrolls or wands for darkvision & some cantrips if you have UMD (Charismatic rogue? You should.) with the latter modified with the silent spell metamagic, if you don't have UMD look into items like Hand of the Magi, Goggles of Night.

silverwolfer
2012-09-23, 01:08 AM
Course, soap will usually do the trick if you're GM is nice, but that takes a while and can't do some things grease can.

Might scare my GM, have him actualy take a bath :P