PDA

View Full Version : Verification Code

A'den
2012-09-22, 08:18 PM
This question may not necessarily pertain to this site but is a quick tech question.

The random generated alpha-numeric codes that are usually .gif's to prove you are a human and a machine what is the issue if you can't get the window to display?

I've got Java enabled, security is low, etc etc. up to date on latest versions of my firefox and explorer completely at my wits end as to why this doesn't work.

Roland St. Jude
2012-09-22, 08:59 PM
Sheriff: Indeed, not a board issue. Moved to Friendly Banter.

Rawhide
2012-09-22, 09:11 PM
And reopened. I think you ticked the wrong box Roland. :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2012-09-22, 11:19 PM
Offhand....I'd guess either the CAPTCHA is hosted on an external site that's being blocked somehow (which seems unlikely when you say "security is low"); or the CAPTCHA is generated on the server itself, but the server has some kind of problem generating the image.

Thajocoth
2012-09-23, 12:54 AM
Are you sure you're not a bot? That could explain why you're having trouble reading it.

What website is the Captcha code on?

Starbuck_II
2012-09-23, 11:52 AM
Captcha are hard enough for humans.

Why can't Bots read Captcha's?

Mando Knight
2012-09-23, 12:06 PM
Captcha are hard enough for humans.

Why can't Bots read Captcha's?

Because it relies on the ability to find meaning from an image, even when the image is obscured and/or distorted. Humans have a natural ability to do this, programming the necessary logic for a machine to do it is difficult.

Thajocoth
2012-09-23, 03:17 PM
Because it relies on the ability to find meaning from an image, even when the image is obscured and/or distorted. Humans have a natural ability to do this, programming the necessary logic for a machine to do it is difficult.

Indeed.

The optic nerve alone surpasses Photoshop in it's ability to touch up what we see before it even reaches the brain, and it does this at a rate of roughly 60 jpgs per second... For each eye. The pictures our eyes actually take are blurry with holes & red lines. Gaps are filled in using the previous few images as well as experience (the brain sends more data TO the eyes than it receives from them. Same for all senses...) It also does edge & face detection specifically so the image comes with extra info as to where objects begin & end, and where people are and such.

Eyes are pretty amazing.

So... A Captcha with blurred text and lines all over it? The eyes are the best suited tool on the planet for that.