PDA

View Full Version : Suggest an RPG!

Kumori
2012-09-23, 12:29 AM
Hello, playground! I'm trying to find a new rpg to delve into, but can't seem to find one that I can really get into. So far, the best I've found has been Realm of the Mad God. The gameplay is a good example of what I'm looking for, but having to start over every time I die sucks, and the game seems to devolve into doing the same single task repeatedly for innumerable hours.

Does anyone have any online RPG's they enjoy playing that you'd like to suggest? FTP is prefered, and monthly subscriptions are no-gos.
Thanks, playground!

Ianuagonde
2012-09-23, 09:50 AM
I've grown quite fond of Dungeons & Dragons Online. Free to download from the official site, and free to play. You can pay for extra options, of course, but it's not necessary (and I've never done so). There is barely any plot, just lots and lots of quests.

It's based on 3.5 D&D, but you what you need to know gets explained at character creation. This is the game I start up when I want to burn a few hours away.

iyaerP
2012-09-23, 11:02 AM
May I suggest the RPG-29? Moderately availible on the middle eastern black market, with unmatched* man-portable firepower, and the ability to punch through modern composite tank armour with ERA armour atop it thanks to its tandem-double-warheads, the RPG-29 is truely the RPG of choice for any insurgant.

*not actually unmatched, but demonstrably superior to other availible models.

On a more serious note:

If you are okay with roguelikes, FTL just came out, is 10$ and AMAZING. Roguelike and privateer had a baby and FTL is it.

Kingdoms of Amalaur is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't played it firsthand, so don't know.

LOTRO if you want straight tolkien over DDO. Other than that I am really drawing a blank here, sorry.

KingOfLaughter
2012-09-23, 11:10 AM
Kingdoms Of Amalur is pretty cool. Dungeon Siege 1 + Legends of Aranna (DS3 sucks) DS only has LAN/Hamachi Co-Op/PvP cause they took down their servers, and I'm not sure but i think KoA has PVP/Co-Op

Tebryn
2012-09-23, 01:50 PM
I would suggest Torchlight 2. First act took me six hours though I explored everything I could. Cool classes and art style to boot.

Kumori
2012-09-23, 09:11 PM
I'll have to check some of those out. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post what I think once I've given a fair shot to the above.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-09-23, 10:46 PM
Guild Wars 2 is sixty bucks, but it's subscription-free. While it is a great game, it's also new, and therefore has a lot of bugs, doesn't have a lot of dungeons, doesn't have great balance, and is curently worse for PvP than League of Legends, DotA, and GW1. However, it's still worth the sixty bucks, and will improve over time.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-24, 02:11 AM
I play DC Universe Online.

Corlindale
2012-09-24, 03:51 AM
Guild Wars 2 is pretty fun. The multiplayer events actually reminded me of Realm of the Mad God sometimes (the "trains" specifically), because it's so delightfully chaotic, with projectiles and flashy effects flying around all over the place.

Balain
2012-09-26, 12:54 AM
Lotro is free to play, since it's made by turbine (they made D&D online) it is like D&D online, you can pay for extra stuff, but don't have to as yu can gain turbine points in game to buy stuff.

Age of Conan is also free to play now, and pay for extra stuff. Not the best reviews, but if you are a big Conan fan (mostly book) it might be worth checking out. ( I am a big Conan fan and found it enjoyable)

Blue1005
2012-10-15, 06:49 AM
I've grown quite fond of Dungeons & Dragons Online. Free to download from the official site, and free to play. You can pay for extra options, of course, but it's not necessary (and I've never done so). There is barely any plot, just lots and lots of quests.

It's based on 3.5 D&D, but you what you need to know gets explained at character creation. This is the game I start up when I want to burn a few hours away.

You were able to find even a thinly veiled one???

I LOVE DDO thought, awesome for socializing and awesome for just good old hack and slash fun. Better graphics than WOW less childish feel.