PDA

View Full Version : What do your favorite monsters taste like?

silverwolfer
2012-09-23, 01:53 AM
yep, Ill leave that on you folks to talk about...what do you think your favorite monster taste like...

kardar233
2012-09-23, 02:01 AM
Veal.

If you know what I mean.

Deathkeeper
2012-09-23, 02:02 AM
I'm quite sure that pseudodragons would taste like snark. And scales.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-23, 02:06 AM
Like Chicken, of course.

Mithril Leaf
2012-09-23, 02:47 AM
I'd have to imagine quite gamey. Maybe beholders would be fairly supple, considering they never have to do any physical labor.

TiaC
2012-09-23, 02:52 AM
Like Chicken, of course.

Interestingly almost all meat from animals that don't have hooves tastes like chicken. The scientific rationale is that the muscles are made mostly of fast-twitch fibers and lacking in slow-twitch, so basically any small and light animal that's not a fish will tend to taste close enough to each other that the brain's sense memory defaults to the most commonly-eaten meat of that type; for most westerners, that means chicken. (Source (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TastesLikeChicken))

Jeff the Green
2012-09-23, 04:21 AM
Interestingly almost all meat from animals that don't have hooves tastes like chicken. The scientific rationale is that the muscles are made mostly of fast-twitch fibers and lacking in slow-twitch, so basically any small and light animal that's not a fish will tend to taste close enough to each other that the brain's sense memory defaults to the most commonly-eaten meat of that type; for most westerners, that means chicken. (Source (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TastesLikeChicken))

In addition, in the last 100 years chickens have been bred to be bigger and juicier, and farming practices have resulted in more sedentary birds. Both of these have resulted in very bland chicken. So any bland meat will taste like chicken. If you ever have a more traditional chicken, you'll actually notice that it has a very distinctive flavor.

Gnorman
2012-09-23, 05:30 AM
Illithid calamari, anyone?

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-23, 08:13 AM
I am 100% certain that Dragon tastes like THIS (http://www.isthmus.com/eats/article.php?article=24930). Yum!

prufock
2012-09-23, 08:19 AM
I like to think Kobolds would taste somewhere between frog legs and crocodile.

toapat
2012-09-23, 09:40 AM
Steak

After all, what do you expect Minotaurs to taste like?

dspeyer
2012-09-23, 10:15 AM
Eating dragons presents some difficulties. How do you cook a red dragon? Or marinate a black one?

toapat
2012-09-23, 10:25 AM
Eating dragons presents some difficulties. How do you cook a red dragon? Or marinate a black one?

You deep freeze red/gold/brass dragon meat

black/green/Copper you simply cant eat if you are not immune to poison.

Darius Kane
2012-09-23, 11:07 AM
Depends what alignment it is.

Alabenson
2012-09-23, 11:54 AM

For a fire breathing dragon, I'd say you'd need to prepare it as a tartare or carpaccio.

For acid breathing dragons, you'd probably need to cure the meat in lye first in order to bring the acidity down to tolerable levels.

Darius Kane
2012-09-23, 12:09 PM
Red Dragon can be cooked with magic fire using Searing Spell feat (Sandstorm). Or alternatively you could use a spell that suppresses special qualities of creatures. I don't remember how it was called and I'm not sure if it wasn't a PF spell. Also I don't know if it will even work on a dead creature.

sdream
2012-09-23, 12:19 PM
black/green/Copper you simply cant eat if you are not immune to poison.

Everybody can eat it at least once. With an appropriate anti-venom sauce, or spell, more than once. (Purify food and drink is a cantrip, but would probably effect the flavor, I'm thinking a self buff).

Andezzar
2012-09-23, 01:41 PM
I'd assume that monstrous spiders and araneas would taste similar to crab just as tarantula is supposed to taste similar to crabmeat. Not my favorite monsters, but I like crabmeat. A bebilith could have an added hint of brimstone.

@OP: Why are you asking?

@poisonous creatures: I assume it will be similar to fugu. If you know how to prepare it, it will be safe, if you don't good luck.

The Redwolf
2012-09-23, 01:43 PM
I would guess that bears would be similar in taste to beef since they're the same general size and all that, maybe a little gamier, and I imagine owls would taste similar to chicken or other fowl, so I'm going to say chicken-fried beefsteak.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-23, 01:45 PM
For acid breathing dragons, you'd probably need to cure the meat in lye first in order to bring the acidity down to tolerable levels.

Lutedrage? No thank you! I'd go with sodium bicarbonate.

Ernir
2012-09-23, 01:57 PM
Troll steak probably tastes like snails. Or mushrooms. Regenerated meat has to be flimsy as hell.

Agent 451
2012-09-23, 03:43 PM
Maybe beholders would be fairly supple, considering they never have to do any physical labor.

I dunno, I would imagine that moving an eye that big would necessitate some hefty musculature.... but I suppose they could also be like owls and not move their eyes at all. I might have to consult LoM on this one.

Doc_Pippin
2012-09-23, 05:02 PM
Im pretty sure Illithids taste like salty vanilla pudding... with a possible hint of cinnamon.

Malak'ai
2012-09-23, 05:37 PM
I don't know. I've never had a character go up and lick a Gnoll in the middle of battle :smalltongue:.

nyjastul69
2012-09-23, 05:49 PM
This thread has caused me to have an epiphany, my favorite D&D monster is the pig. Mmmmmm... bacon.

toapat
2012-09-23, 05:52 PM
This thread has caused me to have an epiphany, my favorite D&D monster is the pig. Mmmmmm... bacon.

you mean the Tarrasque, he also tastes like pork

Arcanist
2012-09-23, 06:06 PM
My favorite monsters are wights... I'm deeply concerned by this... :smallconfused:

Manly Man
2012-09-23, 07:42 PM
While I don't know what a mind flayer tastes like, I would love the chance to know how their sense of taste works. Preferably not how I taste, though.

Manly Man
2012-09-23, 07:44 PM
Also:

http://ckrickett.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/brainjuice.jpg

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-09-23, 07:48 PM

For a fire breathing dragon, I'd say you'd need to prepare it as a tartare or carpaccio.

The great thing is you could heat the meat to a high enough temperature to kill all bacteria without effecting the flavor, texture or color at all, it's the best of both worlds.

There are alternatives to marinading that don't rely on acids like brining and glazing, you could also tenderize with a meat hammer.

Amidus Drexel
2012-09-23, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't taste a dread wraith, but if you could, it would taste like chicken.

Alabenson
2012-09-23, 08:28 PM
Lutedrage? No thank you! I'd go with sodium bicarbonate.

From what I understand, the most unappealing part of lutefisk is its gelatinous texture, and I don't think you'd have the same problem with dragonflesh. Keep in mind, lye is used in a variety of foodstuffs besides the dreaded lutefisk.

The great thing is you could heat the meat to a high enough temperature to kill all bacteria without effecting the flavor, texture or color at all, it's the best of both worlds.

There are alternatives to marinading that don't rely on acids like brining and glazing, you could also tenderize with a meat hammer.

The reason I went with curing in lye for acid-breathing dragons was as a counter to the meat's natural acidity, not for its tenderizing properties, which would likely just be a bonus.

Also, I think you'd have to be very careful with cold breathing dragons, as I can see their meat being very prone to overcooking. For them, I'd say either smoking, braising, or deep frying.

Amidus Drexel
2012-09-23, 08:33 PM
Also, I think you'd have to be very careful with cold breathing dragons, as I can see their meat being very prone to overcooking. For them, I'd say either smoking, braising, or deep frying.

Pfft, you can fry anything. :smalltongue:

...Now I know how to prepare my dread wraith! :smallbiggrin:

toapat
2012-09-23, 09:08 PM
Pfft, you can fry anything. :smalltongue:

...Now I know how to prepare my dread wraith! :smallbiggrin:

what is that? Half a billion Astral Diamonds per ounce?

better damn well be worth it

Manly Man
2012-09-24, 12:38 AM
Another one of my favorites I'm not sure I'd like to eat:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82972.jpg

At least he'd taste well-seasoned.

Myrryr
2012-09-24, 01:16 AM
So I'm guessing most Liches would taste rather like human. Huh, guess I need to go ask Jeffrey Dahmer the best way to prepare them. No clue what an elf or other Lich would taste like but probably just like a more tender human. I'm thinking a Dwarf Lich would taste great smoked though...

Arbane
2012-09-24, 01:50 AM
Funny thing, the crazy elf in the Pathfinder game I'm in today just ate some Red Dragon. According to the DM, it tasted a lot like smoked chicken.

robertbevan
2012-09-24, 02:22 AM
giant ant tastes like spicy lobster.