PDA

View Full Version : Cool Ideas, poor writing

TiaC
2012-09-23, 03:48 AM
This is a thread for all those awesome ideas that have been ruined by unclear or confusing writing to the point that they become broken in that RAW they don't do what they want and they might not even have clear RAI.

I'll start with the Dragonscale Husk ACF from Dragon Magic. It seems like the designers wanted to prevent ridiculous ACs. They didn't make it an armor or natural armor bonus, and say you can't usefully wear armor over it and that you count as being in medium armor. No, that would have made too much sense. Instead, they left it untyped and said "This bonus doesn’t stack with any feat, racial trait, or other special ability that would grant you a bonus to Armor Class." this uselessly vague wording seems to mean that it doesn't stack with natural armor from your race, but there is nothing but non-proficiency stopping you from just slapping a suit of armor on top of it.

TuggyNE
2012-09-23, 04:27 AM
What ground does this cover that Dysfunctional Rules Collection or Rules As Common Sense Dictates* didn't? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, I just think it goes on one of the existing threads.

*Don't thread-necro RACSD, though.