PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon One-Alpha Team-IC

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-23, 10:59 AM
You have been hired by a mysterious organization known as the Order of Light. Not much is known about the Order, but it is rumored to be filled with paladins and clerics of Pelor.

You have been sent into the Lamari Wylds. It is long known that at the heart of the wylds lives a mighty green dragon Chropsis. However the order has it on fact that green dragon has left its lair and traveled across the sea to attend an ancient gathering of dragons. Such meetings are rumored to happen once every thousand years, and dragons of all kinds rarely turn such opportunity to attend. However the order recognizes a opportunity as well.

The order has given you a adamant buckler. Your job is to take it into the dragon’s lair, and swap it with one that is supposedly in the hoard of Chropsis. However the entrance to the lair is supposedly heavily trapped, and understands that you do not have the skills to bypass the traps. Thankfully their researchers have uncovered information that a kobold cave possesses a secret back door into the dragon’s lair. Your mission is to navigate your way through the Lamari wylds, battle your way through the kobold cave, sneak into the dragon’s lair and swap the bucklers before Chropsis returns. They don’t know how long the dragon will be gone, but they don’t estimate that it will be long.

The order has provided a map. To successfully navigate your way there in the fastest possible route requires a DC 15 survival or Knowledge (geography) check. Only one character can make this check. One character may assist, but a failed aid another check will result in a –2 rather than a +2.

In your first post, please include a description of your character for ease of your team mates

The thread to roll dice is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13943510#post13943510).

Gandariel
2012-09-23, 01:21 PM
Zarey Goliardo (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=63814), tall and skinny for his race and age, saw the invitation of the Order as a great way of proving himself. The hoard of a dragon was something even the bravest adventurers shivered at.
His green eyes gazed the map which was provided, and... well, he didn't start well. He had really no idea of how to follow it.
So, after a quick look, he said: "Well, fellows, i must admit i'm not really good with maps... How about one of you wise people try understanding it? I'll serve our cause in the ways i'm better at, i suppose.

Eiko
2012-09-23, 06:58 PM
Sauntering along in a dress that is managing to somehow remain a pristine mat gold and blue, mud seeming to almost avoid her as she walks, Tabitha surveys their surroundings two dogs at her heels.

"Hand me the map, I reckon I should be able to make sense of the thing. Hopefully I'll get us there before nightfall or my dogs will be walking by their noses"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-23, 08:50 PM
Because of her great skill in navigating the wilderness, Tabitha easily & efficiently navigates the party through the wilds with little trouble. The journey takes three days there. What time of day do you travel?

Also, I need spot checks from everyone as they approach the cave. All final choices on characters need to be done now. IE spells memorized.

You can indeed take 10, however it appears it didn't matter.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-24, 08:38 AM
The tall slender shield maiden stares off into the distance, paying little to no mind at what lay ahead. Her snow white hair blows softly in the morning breeze as the sun reflects off of her shield. She turns her blue eyes towards the group assembled before her, another of her kind and the others... mortal enemies of her people but the petty squables of her kind held no meaning for her. In truth she was on a mission of her own, just simply biding time and using specific orders to further her own objective. Growing impatient she hefts her shield and grips her mace.

JKTrickster
2012-09-24, 02:17 PM
Dmitry pushed his glasses up as he walked through the forest. He even though he was wearing standard adventuring gear, the walking was already wearing down on him. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he sighed as he followed to the rest of the party. Brushing his hair to the side, he smiled as they finally moved out of the foliage.

"I don't know how you guys can keep going," he said as he sat down for a quick rest. Looking at the two Aasimars, he just huffed and looked away. They have basically roped him into this mission anyway. Who wants to go piss off a dragon?

Either way he was here now and he wanted nothing more than to wipe those smirks off of their faces. He'll show them!

Spell List

Cantrips
Detect Magic
Prestidigitation
Light

1st
Wall of Smoke
Grease
Benign Transposition
Color Spray
Silent Image

2nd
Web

Gandariel
2012-09-24, 06:39 PM
Zarey was relieved in seeing someone could use that map. He mostly remained silent during the trip, mentally preparing to the upcoming adventure

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-25, 11:31 AM
It is dusk, and the end of the third day. Treking through the wilds has been hard, as the vegetation is thick, the temperature humid, and the terrain very muddy.

Tabitha's sharp eyes are able to spot the fire from a good distance away. There are two kobolds sitting next to a fire, taking watch. Not far from them is a mouth of a cave going diagonally into the ground. All around the cave grows a thick brush of vines and moss. Surround the area of the fire, it appears the vegetation has been cut away and the ground scorched so that nothing grows. Between the dead earth and the party there are plenty of trees and brush for you to take cover and hide.

Since everyone made spot checks, you may position yourselves anywhere on the map within at least 30 ft of the clearing. The light green is difficult terrain. The dark green is a tree or thick vegetation.
Edit: Sorry guys, had a wording error. My apologies.
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqrz5kcWkVwBdEhVQldTUUNkLWluUW5FUk5jZzY3Z 3c#gid=0)
Please let me know if you can't place yourselves on the map

Eiko
2012-09-25, 11:43 AM
Gesturing to move into position Tabitha urges her dogs to be silent before leading them behind a particularly thick patch of vegitation and waiting for a signal to attack.

JKTrickster
2012-09-26, 02:05 AM
Dmitry stood behind a tall tree, looking out at the kobold encampment. While the crazy Aasimar was leading her dogs closer to the fight, Dmitry felt nice and comfortable where he was. Taking a deep breath, he took out his crossbow and cocked it at the kobolds.

"Let's hope for some beginner's luck" he muttered underneath his breath.

Position at Y10

Gandariel
2012-09-26, 05:18 AM
Zarey decides to join the others behind a bush and not risk wasting his few spells on two lowly kobolds. He stands next to a bush and begins aiming his crossbow

Position = W 16

Morbis Meh
2012-09-26, 08:18 AM
Amelia follows in closer behind on of the mutts, she wasn't overly fond of animals, they usually stunk something awful and they were stupid.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-28, 11:30 AM
They haven't spotted anyone from their positioning. So everyone gets a surprise action against two flat footed opponents. The two kobold guards wear studded leather, and a buckler. They both hold light cross bows in their hands.

The two seem to be conversing. I cannot fully load Zarey's sheet, and Dmitry doesn't have languages chosen, but I'm guessing draconic is one of them since you each get five languages from intelligence, and tiefling only gives you six choices (draconic among them).

"See... the all-watcher says everything is an honor. That doesn't mean it is."

"Well it is a honor, because it serves the clan. Regardless of any demeaning name it is accompanied with."

"Right... Bait duty is not an honor. Nor is garbage disposal. They're just bad jobs."

"They need to be done. Therefore it is an honor."

::sigh::

Morbis Meh
2012-09-28, 11:45 AM
Amelia quietly begins to chant as she moves her finger in an intricate pattern, her vision focuses on the fire in front of her and as the last words of her incantation finish a mass of water appears above the tiny cook fire and falls upon it.

Create water... booya best orision EVAR, it should create smoke and at the very least it will be dark so we can see anyway!

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-28, 11:57 AM
Create water is a close range spell, so you have to be within 25 ft. Did you want to try to approach in range all stealthy? or change your action?

Morbis Meh
2012-09-28, 12:00 PM
I will move closer to cast I guess.... I wanted to be closer but there is a dog in my way...

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-28, 12:10 PM
Amelia is almost 50 feet away from the fire. The spells range at your level is 25 ft. The dogs are not what is keeping you out of range.

What square are you moving to? Are you attemping to be stealthy?

Morbis Meh
2012-09-28, 12:25 PM
Just forget it, I will draw my mace, don't want to prevent from anyone else from doing something useful. I also can't see the map from work so I am sol there

JKTrickster
2012-09-28, 01:57 PM
"Bait duty?" Dmitry wondered to himself. "Isn't that an odd job?" Keeping that particular piece of information at the back of his head, he saw the Aasimar start to draw her mace to go in.

"Well I'm not going to stop you," he said as looked down at the kobolds. There were only two of them. This should be simple.

Taking aim, he fired off a shot at the closest one. It seem to fly way off mark though, and Dmitry smacked himself for how bad the shot was.

So I make a ranged attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13973094&postcount=16) against K8.

By the way, why are there three doors over at 1AB, 1AC, and 1AD? Is that where we came from?

Eiko
2012-09-28, 02:00 PM
Tabitha urges her dogs to move in to an attacking position, remaining safely behind the cover of her tree.

Gandariel
2012-09-28, 04:39 PM
As Zarey hears the sound of a bolt firing, he fires one shot too, towards the nearest kobold.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-28, 05:23 PM
Remember the light green is rough terrain. The dogs move at half speed in it, and only have one action for the surprise round. In addition, due to their intelligence the would attack the nearest opponent, not split up. That point is moot however, since Zarey just put a bolt into K8's neck.

edit: I see you knew what you were doing. I just didn't realize the dogs were that fast. :smallwink:

The kobolds see a bolt miss their head by about 6 feet. Both turn, to see what it was. They realize it and immediately look in the direction it came from, towards Dmitry. Just as they spot the intruders, a bolt from Zarey's crossbow goes into the neck of the closer one. Blood pouring out of his mouth, he drops to his knees before falls over gurgling on his own blood.

The other one's face fills with terror, and he turns to run as he calls out in Draconic, but is met by the two dogs coming from the the woods. He does not look happy.

Alright, unless Amelia is doing something else, the surprise round is over and it is Zarey's turn.

Gandariel
2012-09-28, 05:54 PM
Huh, and i spent years practicing magic when i can kill things with this?

Zarey , with a grin on his face, shoots another bolt to the other kobold

(Assuming that he's not adjacent to the dogs)

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-28, 06:01 PM
The dogs are indeed in correct location. So there would be a -4 to hit. So you missed. Not that it mattered, because the 13 missed too.

As Zarey shoots, he hears a loud horn trumpet from inside the cave. It is so loud it can be heard for a good mile.

Gandariel
2012-09-28, 06:29 PM
Oh, sh--

I didn't want to shoot if the kobold was in melee with the dogs because i remembered something about accidentally hitting your allies, and i wanted to avoid that. Since it doesn't make any difference, i don't shoot at all this round, and just wait.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-28, 06:46 PM
There is no rules about accidentally hitting your allies. You just take a -4 to hit unless you have precise shot.

JKTrickster
2012-09-29, 01:20 AM
"Well isn't that fun," Dmitry grimaced as the loud horn echoed throughout the forest. Hopefully, that only meant that reinforcements were coming from inside the cave. If they were coming from the forest as well....

Well, Dmitry simply pushed that thought out of his mind.

Running with all his might, he fought his way through the dense foliage. Almost out of breath, he looked at the mouth of the cave. Steadying himself against the tree, he looked back at Tabitha.

"The moment you see me casting a spell, call off your dogs. I don't want to catch them in it."

Well I noticed that I got after so I decided to just post while I was at it.

In other news, he spends a Full Round Action running all the way to 5R

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 02:35 PM
Initiative Round order
Dead kobold
Zarey
Dmitry
Amelia
K3
Tabitha & Dogs
Other Kobolds

Morbis Meh
2012-09-29, 04:33 PM
Amelia moves to the entrance of the cave, preparing for the arrival of the others.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 06:20 PM
The kobold you can see quickly looks around, spots his dying friend, and decides holding his ground is a bad idea. He turns and runs from the approaching dog, heading into the edge of the thick vegetation for cover behind a tree. (He withdraws to K16).

Tabitha and the dogs are up.

Eiko
2012-09-29, 07:38 PM
Poking her head from behind her cover Tabitha watches the kobold flee from his campsite before barking out an order in celestial at her dogs, pointing at the kobold. "Hunt"

The two dogs then charge the kobold, spittle flying

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-01, 12:10 PM
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqrz5kcWkVwBdEhVQldTUUNkLWluUW5FUk5jZzY3Z 3c#gid=0)

Dice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13943510#post13943510)

The party's stomach turns as they listen to the fleeing kobold scream in agony as the two dogs begin to tear him apart. They catch him just as he starts to climb a tree, bite his leg and pull him back down. As he falls on the ground, the other goes for his throat.

Meanwhile... inside the cave, you hear the sound of clanking metal, as if something made of metal is being opened.

Zarey
Dmitry
Amelia
K3
Tabitha & Dogs
Other Kobolds

Gandariel
2012-10-02, 10:23 AM
Zarey is a bit worried about what could happen next, so he decides to stay hidden and reload his crossbow, getting ready to shoot any other enemies.

Move action => Reload
Readied action: Shoot the first enemy who gets out of the cave.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

JKTrickster
2012-10-02, 12:44 PM
Dmitry turned away from the grisly scene, glad that he wasn't at the end of that treatment. "I have a totally new found respect for dogs," he muttered to himself. Looking at the dungeon entrance, he started to move away as sounds of metal started to ring out.

Concentrating on the magical energies inside of him, he readied himself to cast just as they came rushing out.

Move Action to move to 6P

Standard Action to Ready to cast Grease when at least two hostile figures exits at least 10 ft from the dungeon entrance.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-10, 04:23 PM
Tabitha calls her hounds back to her, using the command "come".
The hounds obey and double move back to her location.

From the cave comes a large size quadrupedal creature, standing on slender legs. It appears to be serpentine in nature, and covered in thick dark colored scales. It's nature appears to be draconic, and it's snout comes to a point like that of a horse. Fangs protrude from the top and bottom of it's mouth, and a long thin lizard-like tail thrashes from side to side behind it, capped with a triangular piece of chittin Two large leathery wings remain folded against the creature's sides, ready to be unfurled at any moment. Whatever this creature is, the kobolds seem to have also outfitted it with some leather barding that was modified from a horse's barding, leaving large slots for it's wings to fit through.

The creature gallops out, roaring viciously before turning, and trampling over Dimitri, Tabitha, and her two hounds for 13 Damage. A DC 18 reflex reduces this damage to 6.

Both Zarey and Amelia's arrows/bolts bounce off the creature's thick hide.

Tabitha and Yun are two slow to act, and trampled by the creature while Vray gets partially out of the way. Both dogs are still concious, but their master is down.

If Dimitri is still conscious, he is able to cast his grease spell on as two kobolds walk out of the cave behind the creature, pausing at the entrance to shoot at Amelia.

Gandariel
2012-10-10, 05:27 PM
Seeing as the misterious creature has bested several foes in an istant, and shrugged off his bolt like nothing, Zarey is scared, and he quickly thinks of an alternative.

It's a bit risky, he thinks, but i suppose my bolts wouldn't do much more..

Zarey casts his Sleep spell on the monster (In such a way that it is the only enemy in the area of the spell (so no wasting Hit die on the kobolds)

JKTrickster
2012-10-12, 04:31 AM
Dmitry get trampled, barely making it out alive as the beast roared overhead. Barely able to focus, his spell goes off as the two kobolds emerge from the cave. "Must....react...faster...." he said as blood almost came out.

Concentrating once again, Dmitry weaved a wall of smoke over the cave entrance. Hopefully that would keep the kobolds from firing any more shots. Realizing how much danger he was in, he started walking away from the beast.

"Amelia! Quick! Tabitha is down!" he said between sputtering coughs.

Well Dmitry is at 0 HP but at least his readied spell went off and now he casts a Wall of Smoke over the cave entrance.

He moves to L8

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-14, 08:54 PM
Okay, going to do this in a couple of parts to keep my mind on straight.

The two dogs have no commands, but the creature that just trampled them is standing just past their unconscious master. They move to block it from attacking Tabitha, and each bite at the draconic creature.

Once the the creature moves, they will remain standing over Tabitha. If someone would like to command them to do otherwise, they can but it will be a handle animal check, at a slightly higher DC because you are not their master.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-14, 09:11 PM
It's original attention was on Zarey and Amelia, but the creature's attention is changed by the two biting dogs. It and once more tramples over the two dogs, and ends itself in the face of Dmitri with a snarl. Yun lays on the ground, not moving while Vray is still up but limping. Tabitha is dead.

Amelia gets a attack of opportunity if she has a melee weapon in hand.

Meanwhile the kobolds can be heard hacking loudly from within the smoke, their weak immune system not handling it well.

Zarey
Dmitry
Amelia
Tabitha & Dogs
D1
Kobolds

Gandariel
2012-10-15, 04:27 AM
I'm assuming the Sleep spell didn't work?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-15, 12:08 PM
Little known fact. Sleep has a 1 rd casting time. Sorry, forgot to point that out.
But since it's your turn again, lets see what happens.

Looks like he's still awake.
And that AoO missed just barely.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-15, 12:12 PM
Well we're pretty much screwed... something that can auto hit anything is rather silly and kind of broken at level 1... but whatevs, if we die I could care less

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-15, 12:18 PM
Try not to be discouraged. I didn't make it clear, but the wolves have greatly hurt this creature. And it likely won't be using the trample ability again based on positioning.

Of course it still has a nasty bite attack....

JKTrickster
2012-10-16, 01:52 AM
Dmitry tensed up, realizing how horrifying this creature was. Tabitha....her twisted body laid on the ground for everyone to see. How could he be so uncareful....her death weighed on his conscious.

Screaming, he moved back and raised his hands. Colorful strands of light arced towards the beast. Concentrating hard, he hoped that he could fire off the spell successfully.

So even if we defeat this beast.....I don't think we can take on the rest of the dungeon. We pretty much depended on Tabitha and her dogs to carry us through level 1.

I think Dungeon 1 ended in failure because of my inability to ready :smallsigh:

If I had "readied standard action to cast Grease whenever a creature instead of two creatures, this would have been too easy. :smallsigh:

It pretty much comes down to my concentration roll now.

:smallsigh:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-16, 10:33 AM
Not positive, but I think a 17 makes it, correct?

JKTrickster
2012-10-16, 11:32 AM
Yes, yes it does :smallbiggrin:

EDIT:

Oh just saw what you rolled.

Yea it does :smallsigh:

Aaaand that is the end of group 1!

Sorry guys, my mistake led to a TPK. Next time I won't make the same mistake :smallfrown:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-16, 11:55 AM
Amelia and Zarey still have turns. (Zarey just finished the sleep spell on her turn, she still gets a turn).

JKTrickster
2012-10-16, 01:27 PM
I really doubt it matters though. Without the two dogs, there is no reason to continue. A cleric and two wizards cannot clear a dungeon at level 1, no matter how prepared they are.

I would really concede defeat here.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-16, 01:43 PM
Yeah we're dead unless we can retreat, something that can wipe out a party in one round is not exactly a balanced encounter lol.

JKTrickster
2012-10-17, 04:59 PM
No I think it was balanced. We just have bad tactics.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-17, 05:10 PM
No I think it was balanced. We just have bad tactics.

Something randomly shows up, oneshots two of the characters and nearly kills their minions, then proceeds to kill said minions in the span of two rounds... hmmm tactics have little to do with anything at level 1 it is rocket tag without any of the cool abilities... I really dislike level 1 because of crap like this :smallsigh:

JKTrickster
2012-10-19, 09:15 PM
First of all, we had bad tactics. It was my fault to place myself in FRONT of the cave entrance.

Second, I readied a spell for "two people that go through the cave entrance" but I shouldn't have done.

Everyone at level 1 has low hp. It's true. That's why we're supposed to play smart. Druid to tank. Cleric to heal. Wizards to debuff. That's how we're supposed to play.

We messed up. Yes this monster probably isn't CR 1. But it was totally manageable for us to take him on.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-21, 12:33 AM
First of all, we had bad tactics. It was my fault to place myself in FRONT of the cave entrance.

Second, I readied a spell for "two people that go through the cave entrance" but I shouldn't have done.

Everyone at level 1 has low hp. It's true. That's why we're supposed to play smart. Druid to tank. Cleric to heal. Wizards to debuff. That's how we're supposed to play.

We messed up. Yes this monster probably isn't CR 1. But it was totally manageable for us to take him on.

Not really, tier 1's don't have a lot of power at first level and very limited resources. Fighter's do well at level 1 because they can smack people with their stick at anytime and as much as they like. Anyone who say's clerics heal obviously hasn't really played a cleric, druids can't really tank at level 1 but their animal companion is a gimped fighter so it may be able to.

The fact that the DM mentioned that every party has either died already or is in the process of doing so means that this encounter was made inappropriately for PC's of the first level, orcs are just a bad idea since they can one shot characters just as easy if they are using falchions. So basically my point is level 1 sucks and it was designed to suck, the fact that it relies on 90% luck and 10% strategy irks me.

JKTrickster
2012-10-22, 11:50 PM
Well let me try to break it down:

The Druid had two tanks (that's what I meant) for level 1 - with superior saves and HP, they can tank really well and the Cleric can heal them up afterwards.

The Cleric can help the dogs flank, but the dogs are much better when it comes to melee combat. There's no real reason for the Cleric to melee if she doesn't have to.

The Wizard and the Shuenja should provide some kind of limited spell support while using crossbows.

It really is the safest way to play.

Except we didn't. For example, the fact that I placed myself right IN FRONT of the cave entrance?

That was dumb.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-23, 12:24 AM
Well let me try to break it down:

The Druid had two tanks (that's what I meant) for level 1 - with superior saves and HP, they can tank really well and the Cleric can heal them up afterwards.

The Cleric can help the dogs flank, but the dogs are much better when it comes to melee combat. There's no real reason for the Cleric to melee if she doesn't have to.

The Wizard and the Shuenja should provide some kind of limited spell support while using crossbows.

It really is the safest way to play.

Except we didn't. For example, the fact that I placed myself right IN FRONT of the cave entrance?

That was dumb.

Tanks mean nothing when something can trample in a straight line hitting 4 people at once and autohitting. That was just ridiculous... Also Clerics are the best frontliners, and if I stick with this game you will just see why that is so. Clerics are made for the frontlines and puts the fighter to shame. As for your tactics yes they weren't the best, I did what I could and it was just the RNG screwing that made it difficult

JKTrickster
2012-10-24, 12:10 AM
Right obviously I agree with you completely.

1. Clerics ARE the best. But not at level 1 right?

2. Right trample IS really strong when the enemy deals more damage then we have HP at level 1. That's why it was so DUMB for me to stand at the entrance. What was I thinking?

And not casting Grease at the sign of ONE enemy? What?

3. The RNG did screw us over. He obviously didn't have a good Will Save and barely passed a Sleep and Color Spray. Amazing really :smallsigh:

So in the end, if we played just a BIT smarter, this wouldn't have happened.

Imagine the beast tripping on the grease, falling prone and unable to trample us. Following the next round, I drop a Wall of Smoke to make it nauseated.

Ta-da "OP" encounter beat. We shoot it couple of times, hope to hit a Nat 20, or something.

You see what I mean?

We didn't play smart enough. That above tactic doesn't depend on the RNG, so it wouldn't have been screwed over by unlucky rolls.

Yea, at higher levels a Cleric + Druid + Wizard + Shuenja party is pretty OP. We could break the game five ways to Sunday.

At lower levels? All it takes is care and obviously I didn't bring my A-game to this.

So yeah sorry guys. I kind of blew it. We actually had a good chance too.

EDIT:

By the way, I would recommend against the Orc as the next level 1 dungeon. They really do too much damage. It's just not safe.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-24, 12:23 AM
Right obviously I agree with you completely.

1. Clerics ARE the best. But not at level 1 right?

2. Right trample IS really strong when the enemy deals more damage then we have HP at level 1. That's why it was so DUMB for me to stand at the entrance. What was I thinking?

And not casting Grease at the sign of ONE enemy? What?

3. The RNG did screw us over. He obviously didn't have a good Will Save and barely passed a Sleep and Color Spray. Amazing really :smallsigh:

So in the end, if we played just a BIT smarter, this wouldn't have happened.

Imagine the beast tripping on the grease, falling prone and unable to trample us. Following the next round, I drop a Wall of Smoke to make it nauseated.

Ta-da "OP" encounter beat. We shoot it couple of times, hope to hit a Nat 20, or something.

You see what I mean?

We didn't play smart enough. That above tactic doesn't depend on the RNG, so it wouldn't have been screwed over by unlucky rolls.

Yea, at higher levels a Cleric + Druid + Wizard + Shuenja party is pretty OP. We could break the game five ways to Sunday.

At lower levels? All it takes is care and obviously I didn't bring my A-game to this.

So yeah sorry guys. I kind of blew it. We actually had a good chance too.

EDIT:

By the way, I would recommend against the Orc as the next level 1 dungeon. They really do too much damage. It's just not safe.

To be fair, any class is like this at level 1, it really has little to do with tactics and more to do with the dice gods. As for the orcs I agree... if you make them the way they are in the book well.... they stand an excellent chance of killing us outright lol Damn you falchions!

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-24, 12:24 AM
Well since you guys are so against orcs, I will use something else. Has to be small size and stupid... Sorry, can't be goblins if that's what you were thinking.

Hmm... zombie kobold outbreak. There we go. No one dies from this failure, they are just taken prisoner. Before they can be executed, they're all turned into zombies by a virus that only affects kobolds with the dragonblood subtype.

JKTrickster
2012-10-26, 09:07 PM
To be fair, any class is like this at level 1, it really has little to do with tactics and more to do with the dice gods. As for the orcs I agree... if you make them the way they are in the book well.... they stand an excellent chance of killing us outright lol Damn you falchions!

Well have to agree with you there. At level 1, the dice roll over us all!

Well since you guys are so against orcs, I will use something else. Has to be small size and stupid... Sorry, can't be goblins if that's what you were thinking.

Hmm... zombie kobold outbreak. There we go. No one dies from this failure, they are just taken prisoner. Before they can be executed, they're all turned into zombies by a virus that only affects kobolds with the dragonblood subtype.

LOL that's rich. Hmm...okay I think it'll be interesting. Zombies provide a lot of immunities but also a lot of drawbacks.

But it seems like we have to replace two people...or maybe me and Morbis can control two people each?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-26, 11:09 PM
if you would prefer that, I would be fine with it. Saves me the trouble of re-recruiting.

I'm banning wild cohort though. I decided I didn't want to see that cheese again.

JKTrickster
2012-10-27, 01:30 AM
if you would prefer that, I would be fine with it. Saves me the trouble of re-recruiting.

I'm banning wild cohort though. I decided I didn't want to see that cheese again.

Mmm it's not really that chessy. She could have achieved the same thing by simply buying a dog :smallconfused:

What part bothered you the most?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-27, 02:45 AM
Right, and any animals that can be bought for combat will be prohibited too. Such as the guard dog from omega team. It just skews what I'm aiming for in the experiment.

Morbis Meh
2012-10-27, 01:02 PM
Go for the zombies if you want, cleric has a natural advantage on that one, if the other two have left then what do we need to fill: the druid and what else (wizarod or wujen, we could always make a spell to power euridite :smallbiggrin:?

JKTrickster
2012-10-27, 02:16 PM
I think a Druid, a Cleric, and two Wizards (one Transmutation and one Conjuration) is good.

I guess? I'm not sure what you're testing but if you say so :smallbiggrin:

Morbis Meh
2012-10-27, 02:22 PM
I think a Druid, a Cleric, and two Wizards (one Transmutation and one Conjuration) is good.

I guess? I'm not sure what you're testing but if you say so :smallbiggrin:

I suggest the conjurer takes a level dip in binder then Prc's to Anima mage at level 4... free meta magic is always delicious...

JKTrickster
2012-10-28, 01:39 AM
Oh I was thinking Icantatrix since that doesn't come with a drop in caster level. Anima Mage is good too.

Also if we do take control of two, I think it would be better if I took a Wizard + One other and you took the other Wizard and one other.

After all, it'll be quite boring if I play two Wizards :smalltongue:

Morbis Meh
2012-10-28, 03:01 PM
Oh I was thinking Icantatrix since that doesn't come with a drop in caster level. Anima Mage is good too.

Also if we do take control of two, I think it would be better if I took a Wizard + One other and you took the other Wizard and one other.

After all, it'll be quite boring if I play two Wizards :smalltongue:

That's fine, take the other if you want a druid go for it, I can make a wizard. Conjuration and Transmutation are solid options, if we had a dungeon past level 9 I would suggest a killer gnome build but C'est la vie

JKTrickster
2012-10-28, 05:40 PM
So what wizard do you want to build?

So I take the druid? Oh ok.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-11-16, 06:57 PM
I have returned, and started a new IC thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14235916#post14235916) Everyone is invited, and there will be no dice rolling thread. The objective is to have some fun. I have no promises on it's length, only that it is unlikely to last till level 9.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14235930#post14235930) can continue to serve as the OOC thread