PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon One-Beta Team-IC

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-23, 11:02 AM
You have been hired by a mysterious organization known as the Order of Light. Not much is known about the Order, but it is rumored to be filled with paladins and clerics of Pelor.

You have been sent into the Lamari Wylds. It is long known that at the heart of the wylds lives a mighty green dragon Chropsis. However the order has it on fact that green dragon has left its lair and traveled across the sea to attend an ancient gathering of dragons. Such meetings are rumored to happen once every thousand years, and dragons of all kinds rarely turn such opportunity to attend. However the order recognizes a opportunity as well.

The order has given you a adamant buckler. Your job is to take it into the dragon’s lair, and swap it with one that is supposedly in the hoard of Chropsis. However the entrance to the lair is supposedly heavily trapped, and understands that you do not have the skills to bypass the traps. Thankfully their researchers have uncovered information that a kobold cave possesses a secret back door into the dragon’s lair. Your mission is to navigate your way through the Lamari wylds, battle your way through the kobold cave, sneak into the dragon’s lair and swap the bucklers before Chropsis returns. They don’t know how long the dragon will be gone, but they don’t estimate that it will be long.

The order has provided a map. To successfully navigate your way there in the fastest possible route requires a DC 15 survival or Knowledge (geography) check. Only one character can make this check. One character may assist, but a failed aid another check will result in a –2 rather than a +2.

In your first post, please include a description of your character for ease of your team mates

The thread for rolling dice can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13943515#post13943515)

Ellisande
2012-09-23, 11:46 AM
Valira Avadur

A young--well, young-looking--elf takes the map from the grey-clad stranger and spreads it on the table for her newfound companions. With an elegant gesture, more befitting a ballroom gown than her heavy leather glove, she points to it as she speaks. "So we're in the village here?" She glances back, fixing her ice-blue eyes on the assumed cleric.

Her short stature inadequate to reach across the table, she stands, stretching to point at the other side. "And the kobold lair lies here? How many days from here, would you say?"

Looking up and brushing her long platinum-blonde hair back from her delicate features, she looks at her companions with a relieved smile at having found allies so easily in this strange human land. "Shall we depart at first light on the morrow?"

At a glance, Valira's +2 Intelligence gives her the best shot at orienteering, right? If so, would Lucas like to assist?

Astro_sol
2012-09-23, 03:38 PM
Lucas Albright

The man clad in black studded leather leaned over the map as well, his expression inquisitive. His dark brown eyes poured over the map carefully, taking in every detail. Finally, after studying it for some time, he looked up at his companions, putting a hand in his dark brown hair, tussling it a bit. He gave everyone a sheepish grin.

"Sorry guys. I'm terrible with maps. Any of the rest of you know a good route?" He turned to Valira. "I'm all up for leaving in the morning, though."

Heatwizard
2012-09-23, 04:34 PM
Alten Pendleton

Alten takes a small hop from his stool onto the table, crouching down to examine the map. "I thought we were here. Wait, that's not a town, it's a stain. ...Which way is north on this?"

He stands up, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm less sure of where I am now then I was before I looked at this thing. This is not a flattering display."

ybot
2012-09-23, 07:36 PM
Isark

Isark appears to be a tall strong human at first glance but when you look more closely his bright blue eyes and hair show that he is not quite a normal human. He wears a chain shirt and holds a large shield on his back. Around his mouth is blue green magic and on his hands are silver blue vambraces.

He looks at the map and says I don't do thinking. not my job. I kill the evils.

Isark will assist Valiria in reading the map.

Ellisande
2012-09-23, 10:52 PM
Valira Avadur

Valira didn't know whether to be comforted or concerned that her lowland companions didn't have a handle on the map either. "Well, I'm sure it will make sense as we get closer. We'll undoubtedly notice this funny looking tree on the way." She points at a random splotch on the parchment. "Still, it couldn't hurt to have a local guide, if we can find one tonight."

She glances around the pub, looking for someone with... well, she doesn't actually know what a good guide would look like. Perhaps someone smelly and hairy? Er... particularly smelly and hairy, given the hygiene habits in these human lands?

Heatwizard
2012-09-24, 01:30 AM
Alten

"Well, let's check the streets. If we end up spending any money on anyone, we can bill the Order for it later." Alten rolls up the map and hops down to the floor.

Gather Information comes up:
(1d20+4)[12]
Blech, what an unimpressive roll. Someone help me out, here.

e: The price for getting distracted is the DM posts while you're fiddling with the formatting.

e2: It keeps happening

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-24, 01:33 AM
After asking around, the party finds themselves sitting in bar, listening to a old man with one eye who smells like fish. "You'll never find yourself a guide into those wilds, BECAUSE THEY'RE CURSED!!! Cursed I say! No one who goes in ever comes out!" He crys, shaking his hook hand at you while holding a large pint in the other hand.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-24, 06:19 PM
Seriously guys, somebody just make the roll. It's not the end of the world if you fail it. Even if you have a +0 modifier you still have a 25% chance of success.

Astro_sol
2012-09-24, 06:26 PM
Lucas Albright

Lucas didn't listen to the crazed man. Instead, he watched over the map intently. He spotted what he was sure was the right way.

"Guys," he said, pointing at the map. "And gal. This is the best route. I'm positive."

I'm also very aware of that 3, but that's what we get for waiting.

Ellisande
2012-09-24, 07:04 PM
Valira Avadur

The human sounded confident, which was more than Valira felt. She nodded, figuring to follow his lead on the morrow.

Sorry! I figured I would roll the map roll in the morning, after we actually set out (and needed to decipher the map). I wasn't actually trying to avoid it, I didn't think the moment had come.

I'd like to buy a couple torches for the caves, but other than that, Valira's ready to roll.

ybot
2012-09-24, 07:14 PM
Isark

Isark stands and says Tomorrow we will rid the world of these evil kobalds. He then leaves to sleep and prepare for the next day.

Isark shapes Astral Vambraces and Lightning Gauntlets (with expanded soulmeld capacity) when he sleeps.

Heatwizard
2012-09-24, 09:52 PM
Alten

Perhaps all these zig-zags were just crazy enough to work; Alten didn't have any better ideas, and it was growing too late to second-guess regardless. He retired to an actual bed that he made sure not to take for granted in face of the next few days' hike.

Don't believe I have any prepping to do. Spontaneous caster, got my rope...

Astro_sol
2012-09-24, 09:57 PM
Lucas Albright

Lucas, feeling confident in his luck and skills, went to sleep as soon as he could, but not before buying some rations and filling his waterskin. He had to keep up his sleep so wrinkles wouldn't form.

I can shoot energy beams. Buying a week's worth of food if I can. I'm good.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-25, 11:45 AM
With everyone struggling with the map & planning a route, an area of expertise no one seems to have, Lucas decides to take over and just get it done for better or worse. You set out in the morning and the journey takes four days to get there. The wilds are thick with vegetation, hot with humidity, and muddy as heck.

I need spot checks from everyone as they approach the cave. All final choices on characters need to be done now.

Astro_sol
2012-09-25, 01:02 PM
Lucas Albright

Thanks goodness he'd thought to bring food; Lucas wouldn't have been able to forage for berries if he hadn't brought his own supplies. He refused to lay down on the dirt and grass; he couldn't stand being filthy.

All the while, though, he kept out a watchful eye for anything suspicious.

Ellisande
2012-09-25, 11:43 PM
Valira Avadur

Her mind on her sore legs and grumbling stomach rather than her surroundings, Valira trudges with her companions towards the cave.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-28, 11:35 AM
It is dusk, and the end of the fourth day. Trekking through the wilds has been hard, as the vegetation is thick, the temperature humid, and the terrain very muddy.

Alten's keen eyes are able to spot the fire from a good distance away. There are two kobolds standing next to a fire, taking watch. Not far from them is a mouth of a cave going diagonally into the ground. All around the cave grows a thick brush of vines and moss. Surround the area of the fire, it appears the vegetation has been cut away and the ground scorched so that nothing grows. Between the dead earth and the party there are plenty of trees and brush for you to take cover and hide.

Since someone made a successful spot check, you may position yourselves anywhere on the map at least 30 ft of the clearing. The light green is difficult terrain. The dark green is a tree or thick vegetation.
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqrz5kcWkVwBdG1QUU9lQUg1MENiN19FeS1qN25GM FE#gid=0)
Please let me know if you can't place yourselves on the map

Astro_sol
2012-09-28, 11:47 AM
Lucas Albright

Lucas did his best to sneak forward until he reached a spot that was directly opposite the cave entrance and the clearing. He got behind the thick brush as he brought up his right fist, which was glowing slightly with raw eldritch power.

There were soon going to be some dead kobolds.

Gonna make move silently and hide checks in the Dice thread. It's probably gonna suck.

EDIT: they did not, in fact, suck.

Ellisande
2012-09-28, 01:47 PM
Valira Avadur

Crouched low in the grass, Valira observed the squat reptilians for a moment. They hardly seemed menacing. But still, they were enemies, and she had learned they were even less civilized than her human companions. And her compatriots certainly weren't delaying in their attacks.

She could feel the adrenaline rise through her veins. There were just two of them--surely the party would be safe, right? Following Lucas' lead, she nocks an arrow to her shortbow. "I'll go left, and take that one..." she whispered to her companions before moving through the thick grass toward the clearing.

She figures on moving a few squares forward and getting a sneak attack on K3 as the others attack. If I understand right, no move silently roll is required?

Also, I will be miles from an internet connection Saturday and Sunday (US time), so don't expect a post from me for most of the weekend. Feel free to roll/move for me if you need to keep the game moving.

ybot
2012-09-28, 06:10 PM
Isark

Isark moves swiftly closer to the kobalds and prepares the ambush. He turns to his alies and says I will block their escape into the cave, but lets try to kill them before they can shout for help. His right hand glows with blue sparks as he prepares to charge.

Isark will start in G1 holding his shield but not his morning star

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 02:26 PM
Just waiting on a position for Alten and everybody can start doing stuff

Heatwizard
2012-09-29, 11:43 PM
Sorry, sorry! I'm set down in F6; I'll snipe from back here, if they charge us I can switch to touch attacks.

Alten

Alten follows Valira's route up, setting up his own arrow. He mutters, "You get the close one, I'll get the far one?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 11:53 PM
If you like, you can start sneaking around now.
Or
If everyone just wants to just start attacking, then everyone gets a surprise round action.

ybot
2012-09-30, 10:21 AM
Isark

Isark jumps out of the forest and begins to charge the kobolds.

Isark will take his surprise round to move to J2. He has 2 essentia in his lightning gauntlets and 1 essentia in his Astral Vambraces.

Astro_sol
2012-09-30, 10:32 AM
Lucas Albright

Lucas nodded to himself, then came out from behind the vegetation he'd hidden behind and began to move forward until he came close enough to the Kobold on the left to feel confident. Then he let loose a crackling blast of energy from his palm.

Lucas is going to make a standard move action (not bothering to move silently), then another for his regular round to move to M17, and take a standard action to shoot an eldritch blast. He's shooting at K3.

Edit: it's looking like this is gonna suck.

EDIT EDIT: Lucas is just going to move for his surprise action.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-30, 12:02 PM
1) Surprise round actions only give you 1 action, so you can only take a standard or a move.

2) Don't forget the light green is difficult terrain. Movement costs double, and you can't 5 ft step.

3) If you move, you can't take a 5 ft step.

4) For future reference: You can hide after an attack as part of a move action, but you take a -20 to the hide check.

Heatwizard
2012-09-30, 07:05 PM
Alten

Alten hauls his arrow back, and looses it across the clearing, behind the back of one kobold toward another.

Twelve to hit K8. I don't think that'll cut it.

Ellisande
2012-09-30, 11:14 PM
Valira Avadur

Sweat drips off the palms of Valira's hands as her uncertainty mounts. But before she thinks the better of the ambush, Alten fires, and no choice is left. Taking a swift step forward, Valira rises and looses her shaft toward the nearest Kobold.

By my count, a 5-foot step gets her exactly 30' from K3, so sneak attack would apply? (If not... well, I guess her inexperience shows.)

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-01, 11:45 AM
I said it above, and I will say it again for those that didn't catch it. The light green squares are difficult terrain. On difficult terrain you cannot make 5ft steps, nor can you charge. Movement costs are doubled.

Character's movements have been modified to reflect this.

The Team breaks the cover with Lucas and Isark moving in to melee as fast as they can. Meanwhile Alten and Valira hand back, giving cover fire. Alten's shot hits K8 in the chest, but lacked the strength it need and bounces off the kobold's studded leather armor. Meanwhile Valira's hits in about the same location, and punches through the armor. The kobold (K3) staggers for a moment, looking around and trying to understand what's happening.

Initiative Order
Lucas
Kobolds (except K8)
Alten
Valira
K8
Isark

Ellisande
2012-10-03, 02:04 AM
Valira Avadur

Tense with adrenaline and high on her initial success, Valira nocks another arrow and lets fly.

Astro_sol
2012-10-06, 08:00 AM
Lucas Albright

Lucas saw an arrow fly and knew it was time to move forward. He walked until he got to the edge of the clearing, and let loose a blast of arcane energy.

Move Action to move to M17. Standard action to fire Eldritch Blast at K3.

Heatwizard
2012-10-07, 01:54 AM
Alten

Feeling jealous of Valira's on-target shot, Alten hastily nocks another arrow. As it sails wide, he curses under his breath.

Rolled a 5. I don't think I could hit myself with a number like that.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-10, 05:20 PM
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqrz5kcWkVwBdG1QUU9lQUg1MENiN19FeS1qN25GM FE#gid=0)

Dice (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13943515#post13943515)

Lucas shoots an Eldritch Blast into K3, and the combined damage drops the kobold. At almost the same time, a loud horn goes off from within the cave. It is so loud it can be heard for miles, .

K8 moves closer to his fallen comrade, and shoots his crossbow at Isark. The bolt hits for 1 damage. He cries out in draconic, yelling something.

Valira and Alten's attacks barely miss the remaining kobold.

Current Initiative order
Isark
Lucas
Kobolds (except K8)
Alten
Valira
K8

ybot
2012-10-10, 08:16 PM
Isark

Isark's Astral Vambraces block the arrow and he takes no damage (they give DR). He will move to N3 take a quick glance into the cave and ready an action to use his lightning gauntlets if an enemy comes within range.

Astro_sol
2012-10-11, 07:01 PM
Lucas Albright

Lucas moves forward as far as he can, trying to get in range of the other kobold while trying to avoid thinking of the implications of that horn blast.

Just gonna move as far as I can North, or until I'm horizontal with K8.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-11, 09:30 PM
From within the cave you can hear a loud scraping of metal, as if something is being opened.

@Isark
You can see inside the cave, but the visibility is completely shadowy. Two kobold sized figures seems to be opening a metal cage with some kind of creature inside. It's quadrupedal and has scales and a tail. From where you are, that's all you can see.

K3 loads and shoots another bolt at the closest intruder, Isark.
Forgot he is unconscious.

Alten
Valira
K8
Isark
Lucas
Kobolds (except K8)

Ellisande
2012-10-11, 11:56 PM
Valira Avadur

Valira doesn't know what to make of the horn, but does have a clear choice; she fires another arrow at the remaining visible kobold.

ETA: That might be a nice shot.

Heatwizard
2012-10-12, 05:41 AM
Alten fires another arrow, which lazily drifts off into the underbrush. He begins to stomp forward toward the campfire, muttering "I will stick an arrow to one of these guys if I have to do it from point god-damn blank."

Fire, whiff, move forward two.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-12, 11:49 AM
Congratulations. You have discovered the kobolds AC. It is 16.

Alten's arrow horribly misses the lone Kobold, and he begins to laugh at him until Valira's arrow misses him by less than an inch. He turns, loads his crossbow, acts like he's about to shoot Valira, and then suddenly turns; firing it right into poor lucas. He sneers and says something in draconic, likely insulting.

Isark
Lucas
Kobolds (except K8)
Alten
Valira
K8

Ellisande
2012-10-13, 01:21 PM
He sneers and says something in draconic, likely insulting.

Can Valira hear well enough to understand? She does Draconic, among a couple others.

ybot
2012-10-13, 06:41 PM
Isark

Isark will move up to the living kobold and grab him with lightning gauntletts.

I meant to post this right after dice rolls but I forgot

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-14, 09:41 PM
Can Valira hear well enough to understand? She does Draconic, among a couple others.

Yes. He says "Die mammal scum."

Where is Isark moving to?

Lucas
Kobolds (except K8)
Alten
Valira
K8
Isark

Astro_sol
2012-10-14, 09:46 PM
Lucas Albright

"Ow," said Lucas, clutching at the arrow wound. "Um, I think I'm just going to hold here guys if that's cool."

Hm. 6 damage. *checks hp*

Whelp, if I don't want to slip into unconsciousness, I better not do anything or I'll lose 1 hp. So, uh, sorry guys, I think Lucas is mostly out for this fight, unless you desperately need an Eldritch Blast.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-14, 11:04 PM
When you get a chance, could I get another link to your character sheet. Mine seems to be not working.

Lucas Delays, indefinitely....

Big things will go here momentarily.
Need Isarks location before I can continue...

Ellisande
2012-10-15, 12:27 AM
Valira Avadur

Valira scowls slightly at the Kobold's taunt, but struggles find a suitable counterquip. "Mammals and lizards die equally well," she mutters under her breath as she returns fire.

Practicing her Draconic, though I doubt if the enemy could comprehend her mumble.

ETA: I don't think shooting K8's going to do the team much good anymore...

ybot
2012-10-15, 07:36 AM
Isark is in N6

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-15, 12:39 PM
From the cave comes a large size quadrupedal creature, standing on slender legs. It appears to be serpentine in nature, and covered in thick dark colored scales. It's nature appears to be draconic, and it's snout comes to a point like that of a horse. Fangs protrude from the top and bottom of it's mouth, and a long thin lizard-like tail thrashes from side to side behind it, capped with a triangular piece of chittin Two large leathery wings remain folded against the creature's sides, ready to be unfurled at any moment. Whatever this creature is, the kobolds seem to have also outfitted it with some leather barding that was modified from a horse's barding, leaving large slots for it's wings to fit through.

The creature gallops out, roaring viciously before galloping over Isark, k8, and the dying body of K3, trampling them for 12 Damage. A DC 18 reflex reduces this damage to 6.

Two kobolds emerge from the cave with light cross bows as well, and fire them at Alten. One just barely misses Alten, thanks to his soft cover. The other misses quite a bit.

ybot
2012-10-16, 08:17 AM
Isark is now at exactly zero hp after DR

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-16, 10:46 AM
Alten
Valira
K8
Isark
Lucas
Kobolds (except K8)

Ellisande
2012-10-17, 01:28 AM
Valira Avadur

Valira's eyes go wide as the lizard-creature rampages out of the darkness of the cave. Speechless, her arrow flies at the closest foe--that rapidly charging creature.

Sadly, I assume you'll want to use the same rolls I made in my previous post... if not, feel free to reroll on my behalf.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-17, 01:45 AM
Sorry, forgot you went ahead of your turn. :smallwink:
But that is also a miss. Not by much. This things AC isn't quite as good as the kobolds.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-18, 01:35 PM
Alten fires his bow at the creature, but it bounces off the creatures thick hide without the creature even noticing. The creature in turn, takes a bite out of Lucas and he falls to the ground unconscious. Meanwhile the two kobolds at the cave entrance take a shot at Isark, and one succeeds, doing 4 damage.

Alten
Valira
Isark (-2 I believe)
Lucas
D1
Kobolds

ybot
2012-10-19, 08:54 AM
Isark takes the two shots and is still standing but he looks almost dead and takes no actions.

Isark (-2 I believe)

Actualy due to his DR 4 he is still at zero.

Heatwizard
2012-10-19, 07:56 PM
Alten backs up two squares in fear after firing.

Sorry, computer's busted, so my ability to post has been spotty all week. Should be fixed soon, though.

Ellisande
2012-10-22, 10:58 AM
Valira missed the snake-thing on her turn, correct? Or is it a new round now, so she'll get another try?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-22, 11:09 AM
its a new round

Ellisande
2012-10-22, 11:45 PM
Valira Avadur

Valira too steps back in fear. Steeling herself, she fires another arrow at the snake-creature.

A 5-foot step back, for no real tactical reason, and another arrow in the beast's direction. Good luck to her!

Heatwizard
2012-10-23, 04:49 PM
Alten

Alten continues to back up in frustration, another arrow flying wide.

This sounds like it warrants spellpower. Any requests?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-23, 06:10 PM
Valira's attack hit btw. A good roll. Followed by a round of bad rolling on my part.

The beast turns after dropping Lucas and moves to Isark, attempting to bite off a chunk of his neck. But his armor is thick enough that it can't penetrate it.

Meanwhile the kobolds assume Isark will be dead, and begin taking shots at Alten, but both wiz past him.

ybot
2012-10-23, 08:14 PM
Isark

Isark glares menacingly at the monster and shouts I'm not dead yet

He takes no real actions besides taunting his enemies

Ellisande
2012-10-24, 11:08 PM
Valira Avadur

Emboldened by her success, Valira aims another arrow, determined to down the beast before it charges her. This is far more comfortable than shooting the small lizard-men; it feels to her more of a hunt back home, if for a snake rather than a stag.

ybot
2012-10-29, 09:00 AM
what are we waiting for?

Astro_sol
2012-10-29, 09:01 AM
Not sure. I don't think I need to post for Lucas bleeding to death.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-29, 10:35 AM
Waiting on Alten. I haven't been home the last couple of days, so I have been unable to take a turn for him. If one of you would like to, we can get things moving again. I believe he said he was going to cast a spell.

Astro_sol
2012-11-01, 01:13 PM
I think at this point we can move on.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-11-16, 06:59 PM
I have returned, and started a new IC thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14235916#post14235916) Everyone is invited, and there will be no dice rolling thread. The objective is to have some fun. I have no promises on it's length, only that it is unlikely to last till level 9.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14235930#post14235930) can continue to serve as the OOC thread