PDA

View Full Version : [PF] E6 Dwarven Ranger/Rogue

jaybird
2012-09-23, 01:32 PM
As title says. I one-shot a boss encounter this weekend with my Summoner (Baleful Polymorph + buffed Clawdolon) and my GM wasn't too happy, so I'm thinking about toning it down somewhat (read: not playing a caster or charger) for our next game, which will be a Viking-themed E6 campaign.

The general theme of the character will be that of a fisherman who, when he's not ferrying the party around (very nautical campaign), slap-chops things with his pair of fishing knives. Tentative PB is 15:

STR: 14 DEX: 17 CON: 14 INT: 7 WIS: 14 CHA: 5

I can have Weapon Finesse, TWF, and Double Slice all by level 3, if I go straight Ranger for my first two levels. Planning on taking Bleeding Attack as one Rogue Talent. He'll be a Scout for SA on the charge, and Survivalist because I feel like Endure Elements is going to come into play. With high Wis/Dex he'll also be the party scout. Lv4 +1 stat goes to Dex.

Thoughts on how to optimize the general concept of this build?

Novawurmson
2012-09-23, 11:32 PM
I would say go straight Rogue or straight Ranger. For Rogue, take Weapon Finesse level 1, Combat Trick Rogue talent at level 2 for Two-Weapon Fighting, and optimize Dex. The biggest advantage is that you get +3d6 Sneak Attack, meaning you'll get pretty nice burst when you get both of your attacks out.

Ranger is a bit better for reliable damage. With straight Ranger, optimize Str and use your combat style feats for TWF stuff because you get to ignore prerequisites; it'll take longer to get all your feats online. You also won't get Double Slice, but you'll have at least an 18 in Str, meaning you'll be doing more damage on main hand hits and 2 damage on your offhand hits anyway. You'll also get 4 attacks at level 6 (compared with 2 with Rogue or Rogue/Ranger hybrid). A Ranger build might look like this:

Ranger 1 - Power Attack or Weapon Focus
Ranger 2 - TWF (bonus)
Ranger 3 - The other of Power Attack or Weapon Focus
Ranger 4 - Animal Companion (most likely)
Ranger 5 - Furious Focus
Ranger 6 - Improved TWF (bonus)

Don't Power Attack every time, but on times when you have to move and attack (and thus don't get the penalty from TWF) or when your enemies have low AC, it's nice.