PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Daggerspell Mage

GreenSerpent
2012-09-23, 05:08 PM
Hi all,

A prospective player in my game is planning on playing a Daggerspell Mage. Does the Playground have any suggestions for entry other than their usual Stalwart Battle Sorceror? Spontaneous casters may be preferred.

(I'm the DM, so I'm tossing out a free Weapon Focus feat for the players. Not much, but it's free.)

GS

hex0
2012-09-23, 06:06 PM
Trickster Spellthief makes a good entry, if you allow that.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-23, 06:14 PM
Depending on the starting level I would suggest Suel Arcanamach into Dagger Spell Mage or if you have access to Mystic Ranger, Sword of the Arcane order and allowing it to qualify for DSM.

hex0
2012-09-23, 06:21 PM
Also Duskblade and to a much lesser extent Hexblade. Suel's cousin Knight of the Weave can work as well.

Flickerdart
2012-09-23, 06:42 PM
Stalwart and Battle Sorcerer are never worth it - losing that many spells known is crippling to an already starved class.

hex0
2012-09-23, 06:57 PM
Stalwart and Battle Sorcerer are never worth it - losing that many spells known is crippling to an already starved class.

Indeed, you might as well play a bard instead. You'll have similiar spellcasting ability but actuall have skills and class features...

hex0
2012-09-23, 08:11 PM
But, to stop beating around the bush, my ideal Daggerspell mage builds would be (depending on the sources allowed, listed from most sources to least sources)

Trickster Spellthief 1/Duskblade 4 (all sources)
Spellthief 1/Duskblade 4 (Completes+PH2)
Spellthief 1/Wizard 4 or possibly Hexblade 4 (Completes)

mattie_p
2012-09-23, 08:26 PM
I really like pairing Daggerspell Mage with at least a couple of levels of Unseen Seer (CM p81). Yes, delays entry. But an extra sneak attack die and free Silent Spell is nothing to sneeze at.

gorfnab
2012-09-23, 09:45 PM
I really like pairing Daggerspell Mage with at least a couple of levels of Unseen Seer (CM p81). Yes, delays entry. But an extra sneak attack die and free Silent Spell is nothing to sneeze at.
Acquring Hunter's Eye through Advanced Learning is not too shabby either.

mattie_p
2012-09-24, 02:24 AM
Acquring Hunter's Eye through Advanced Learning is not too shabby either.

My bad for not saying it directly. I thought that was why everyone took the class, I was simply stating some of the other benefits.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-24, 02:27 AM
I really like Daggerspell Mage, but it's probably the worst out of all he stealth/caster prcs.
But yeah, Spellthief/Duskblade/Daggerspell Mage/Unseen Seer ftw.

hex0
2012-09-24, 07:09 AM
I really like Daggerspell Mage, but it's probably the worst out of all he stealth/caster prcs.
But yeah, Spellthief/Duskblade/Daggerspell Mage/Unseen Seer ftw.

Personally, I think Arcane Trickster is a bit worse.

Also, you can take one level of Chameleon instead of two levels of Unseen Seer to get Hunter's Eye. And with caster level shenanigans from Master Spellthief and/or Practiced Spellcaster... :smallamused: