PDA

View Full Version : Ready action Rules help

Mechanize
2012-09-23, 05:42 PM
I am confused with the ready action rules. Need some verification here...

---------------------

Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

---------------------

I am reading this as I can ready an an attack to interrupt a caster. Said caster casts, my attack goes off and interrupts him. When it is my turn in the initiative, I am able to do this again and again.

A friend of mine is saying that when you ready an action, you are using your standard for that turn, and then when the readied attack hits, that is your standard action for the next round, which would mean that I could only interrupt the caster every other round. Or something along those lines... its confusing me either way haha.

How does this work?

Deathkeeper
2012-09-23, 06:36 PM
You are spending your standard action for the round you declare readying. If it changes your initiative the way Delay Action does, I'm not aware of it.

Seharvepernfan
2012-09-23, 07:03 PM
You're both kinda wrong.

You can keep doing that every round, but it does consume your next turn...which is confusing, I know.

Here's an example.

You have an initiative count of 15, the caster you are attacking has an initiative count of 10 (you rolled 15, he rolled a 10). On count 15, your turn begins, and you use your standard action to ready an attack if that caster casts a spell. On count 10, the caster casts a spell and your readied attack goes first, disrupting the spell or not (depending on whether or not your attack was successful and the caster rolling his concentration check). Your initiative count is now 10A, and the casters' initiative is now 10B. The caster can still use his other actions, if he has any, and your turn for that round has been used.

The next round, on initiative count 10, you act just before the caster and can ready another attack against him. If you do the same thing, your initiative stays 10A, and his stays 10B, and you can keep doing this.

Mechanize
2012-09-23, 07:21 PM
You're both kinda wrong.

You can keep doing that every round, but it does consume your next turn...which is confusing, I know.

Here's an example.

You have an initiative count of 15, the caster you are attacking has an initiative count of 10 (you rolled 15, he rolled a 10). On count 15, your turn begins, and you use your standard action to ready an attack if that caster casts a spell. On count 10, the caster casts a spell and your readied attack goes first, disrupting the spell or not (depending on whether or not your attack was successful and the caster rolling his concentration check). Your initiative count is now 10A, and the casters' initiative is now 10B. The caster can still use his other actions, if he has any, and your turn for that round has been used.

The next round, on initiative count 10, you act just before the caster and can ready another attack against him. If you do the same thing, your initiative stays 10A, and his stays 10B, and you can keep doing this.

This is how I understood the rules when I read them. What part was I wrong about?

Seharvepernfan
2012-09-23, 08:14 PM
This is how I understood the rules when I read them. What part was I wrong about?

Your friend stated that you lose your action during the next turn, and you do. You stated that "when it is my turn in the initiative, I am able to do this again". I was under the impression that you thought you could keep acting on your original initiative count, and that you didn't lose your next turn on that same count.

Using the example: You act on 15, readying an action. Your action goes off on 10, then you act again on the next 15. When actually, your action goes off on 10, and you don't act until the next 10.

My bad.

Mechanize
2012-09-23, 09:12 PM
Your friend stated that you lose your action during the next turn, and you do. You stated that "when it is my turn in the initiative, I am able to do this again". I was under the impression that you thought you could keep acting on your original initiative count, and that you didn't lose your next turn on that same count.

Using the example: You act on 15, readying an action. Your action goes off on 10, then you act again on the next 15. When actually, your action goes off on 10, and you don't act until the next 10.

My bad.

Oh, yeah no prob. I'm glad you clarified it. I figured my initiative would be changed to right before the casters. Someone also thought in the game that because I readied and he casted first, then I reacted, that he was a step ahead of me and would put my initiative at B rather than A. I didn't know the rules well enough to contest what anyone said, but to me it didn't make sense. If I was able to ready in the first place, it means i was a step ahead in speed, and still remain a step ahead in speed.

TuggyNE
2012-09-23, 10:17 PM
If you ready an action, and it triggers on a later initiative count in the same round, you don't lose your next round's action; you do, however, drop in initiative. If it triggers during the next round, you don't get to act after the readied action, but your initiative rises. In either case, you act just before the enemy you interrupted.

The result is that, with a possible initial bump, you can keep on readying actions to interrupt a particular foe's actions indefinitely.

Mechanize
2012-09-24, 08:38 AM
If you ready an action, and it triggers on a later initiative count in the same round, you don't lose your next round's action; you do, however, drop in initiative. If it triggers during the next round, you don't get to act after the readied action, but your initiative rises. In either case, you act just before the enemy you interrupted.

The result is that, with a possible initial bump, you can keep on readying actions to interrupt a particular foe's actions indefinitely.

Here is a question... if I didn't move or do anything, just readied my attack to counter the caster, do I get a full round attack on him or just 1 chance?

Leekos
2012-09-24, 08:51 AM
Here is a question... if I didn't move or do anything, just readied my attack to counter the caster, do I get a full round attack on him or just 1 chance?

As you quoted from the Readied Action in the first post:

Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

So you can't do a full attack, just a standard action.

Allanimal
2012-09-24, 08:53 AM

No. You can only ready a standard action.

Mechanize
2012-09-24, 08:59 AM
K thanks for the help guys.

LordHenry
2012-09-24, 11:51 AM
Regarding 5-foot steps: If the caster I want to interrupt made a 5-foot step to get out of my reach and then casts, I could also make a 5-foot step after him and still use my standard action, right?

Khedrac
2012-09-24, 12:11 PM
Regarding 5-foot steps: If the caster I want to interrupt made a 5-foot step to get out of my reach and then casts, I could also make a 5-foot step after him and still use my standard action, right?
Yes - if you declare the 5' step as part of your readied action.
I.e. "I ready an action to take a 5' step if necessary towards X and attack X if X starts casting a spell."

HunterOfJello
2012-09-24, 12:15 PM
What happens if you want to ready an action against someone who has a higher initiative place than you do?

For instance: your initiative is 11 and a spellcaster's is 14. You want to ready an action to attack him if he starts casting a spell.

jmelesky
2012-09-24, 12:35 PM
For instance: your initiative is 11 and a spellcaster's is 14. You want to ready an action to attack him if he starts casting a spell.

More or less what you would expect:

Round 1, at 14, the spellcaster gets to do his/her thing. At 11, you ready an action to attack.

Round 2, at 14, the spellcaster tries to cast, you interrupt with an attack. From this point forward you act on 14.

LordHenry
2012-09-24, 12:39 PM
I think in that case your action is readied until the next round when he will again act "before" you. Your action for this (second turn) is consumed then, I think, but theoretically your initiative count should have moved up (you act right before the person you interrupted)

What happens if the conditions you specified are not met or are not fully met, or how general can you formulate them?

for example: If the spellcaster casts a spell, I attack him. What if he drinks a potion (besides the aoo).
or, very general:

If the spellcaster right next to me starts an action like drinking a potion, calling a spell or throwing an alchemists fire, I take a 5.foot step if necessary and attack him.

Would that be possibe?

TuggyNE
2012-09-24, 01:53 PM
I think in that case your action is readied until the next round when he will again act "before" you. Your action for this (second turn) is consumed then, I think, but theoretically your initiative count should have moved up (you act right before the person you interrupted)

Indeed.

What happens if the conditions you specified are not met or are not fully met, or how general can you formulate them?

for example: If the spellcaster casts a spell, I attack him. What if he drinks a potion (besides the aoo).

Then no, you wouldn't get your readied action, but you wouldn't lose any further actions on your next turn or change your initiative.

or, very general:

If the spellcaster right next to me starts an action like drinking a potion, calling a spell or throwing an alchemists fire, I take a 5.foot step if necessary and attack him.

Would that be possibe?

Ready conditions seem to be limited primarily by common sense, so ... probably?

trollburgers
2012-09-24, 02:21 PM
Yes - if you declare the 5' step as part of your readied action.
I.e. "I ready an action to take a 5' step if necessary towards X and attack X if X starts casting a spell."

You don't need to declare the 5-foot step. You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, as long as you don't move that round (you can still take a move action, just not actual movement).

For example, you can draw your weapon [move action] and ready an action to attack the goblin shaman adjacent to you if it starts casting a spell [standard action]. If the goblin shaman takes a 5-foot step back and begins casting, you take your free 5-foot step and attack.

My question is, if the goblin shaman doesn't take a 5-foot step back, do you get an attack of opportunity AND your readied action? And in which order do they come?

LordHenry
2012-09-24, 04:00 PM
For example, you can draw your weapon [move action] and ready an action to attack the goblin shaman adjacent to you if it starts casting a spell [standard action]. If the goblin shaman takes a 5-foot step back and begins casting, you take your free 5-foot step and attack.

So I could "start" my turn, and use, for example, a move action. Then I can ready an action (standard action)?
Could I also cast a spell, and then ready a move action: If X/any enemy comes closer than 10ft. to me, I move back 30ft. ?

About an aao and a readied action... I would say that is a tough call, but I'd say that your readied attack comes first, as it has been readied for exactly that purpose. Afterwards, if he has made his concentration check and continues casting... you should theoretically get an aao... but that seems very avgue to me. Dunno how I would handle the situation as a dm. Logically, you should get both attacks.. as the aao represents you catching your enemy off guard, and the other attack has been specifically readied and delayed for that moment to happen... tough call though

jmelesky
2012-09-24, 04:12 PM
So I could "start" my turn, and use, for example, a move action. Then I can ready an action (standard action)?

Yes.

Could I also cast a spell, and then ready a move action: If X/any enemy comes closer than 10ft. to me, I move back 30ft. ?

Assuming you're casting a standard-action spell, the answer is "no", sadly. The action you ready can be a standard, move, swift, or free, but readying itself is a standard action.

Curmudgeon
2012-09-24, 06:36 PM
One thing to note about Ready is that there's no Divination magic involved; it's just a plan, which you mentally rehearse so you can act promptly when you notice the triggering action. That means that planning to interrupt a spell being cast is dependent on you detecting the somatic, verbal, or focus components being used. If a spellcaster wants to cast something without components your Ready action won't function. In practice that usually means the spellcaster will foil your plan if they use Still Spell and/or Silent Spell, since most spells have components. Your DM may require a successful Spot check to notice somatic components, or a Listen check to notice verbal components, if the spellcaster is some distance away.

Khedrac
2012-09-25, 01:14 AM
You don't need to declare the 5-foot step. You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, as long as you don't move that round (you can still take a move action, just not actual movement). This depends on your DM - a lot say you have to specify what you will do, no specified 5' step = no 5' step, it being a free action does not matter.

Note: you cannot ready a "partial charge" as they don't really exist in 3.5.

My question is, if the goblin shaman doesn't take a 5-foot step back, do you get an attack of opportunity AND your readied action? And in which order do they come?
RAW yes you get both*, some DMs may disagree. Trying to work it through I think you should get the readied action first because it is deemed to happen before the action that triggers it (this is effect before cause).

*If the attack successfully interrupts the spell you do not get the second attack - as the spell is no longer being cast so no longer provokes/triggers the readied action.