PDA

View Full Version : GitP PrC Contest XXXIV: Voting Thread!

ErrantX
2012-09-23, 10:14 PM
Alright, it's that time again, where we have prestige class writers duke it out to see who gets to walk away with their kneecaps... -er, wait, wrong contest.

No, right contest, wrong tag line, got it! Now it's time to battle for bragging rights to see who's Item of Power (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253310) is the best of the best, defeating the rest.

Here's the rules:

Vote for your favorite three, first choice gets three points, second choice gets two points, and third choice gets one point. The goal? Whoever ends up with the most points wins bragging rights. Voting begins immediately and lasts until October 3rd. Make your selections, bold the choice for me, and if you care to say a few things about why and what you liked, please do. The authors certainly will appreciate it!

The entries...
{table=head]Prestige Class|Author|1st|2nd|3rd|Total
Dimensional Weaponeer|bindin garoth|1||1|4
Walkers of the Endless Way|Lord_Gareth||1|3|5
Spheroid Oddity|TheGeckoKing|1|3||9
Enigmatician|sirpercival|1|3|2|11
Sleuth|devlingreye||||
Waywanderer|Zaydos|2|||6
Seeker of the Nine|dspeyer||||
Dancer of Blades|MoleMage|||1|1
Viscergist|Hyooz|4|2|1|17
Card Shark|Cheesy74||2|1|5
Brilliant Paladin|Glimbur|||2|2
Verdant|EdroGrimshell||2||4
Monadic Templar|hierophant||||
Gambler of Wonder|smasher0404||||
Artificer of Kwalish|PairO'Dice Lost|5|1|3|20[/table]

Let the voting begin!

-X

Lord_Gareth
2012-09-23, 11:24 PM
1. Spheroid Oddity - Finally, a Pokemon class I can take seriously!

2. Verdant - Nice work, sexy picture, great way to take advantage of an unloved item.

3. Artificer of Kwalish - Because how can I NOT?

sirpercival
2012-09-24, 12:46 PM
1. Artificer of Kwalish. This wasn't even close; absolutely brilliant.

2. Card Shark. Pretty awesome idea, very nice execution.

3. Walker of the Endless Way. This was close, could've been a few others. I like the tone this took.

MoleMage
2012-09-24, 01:21 PM
1: Waywanderer: Never thought I'd see an item that gives a flat bonus to saving throws turn into something that cool. Kudos, my good sir.

2: Viscergeist: Though disgusting, also brilliant.

3: Card Shark: Both the item and the class are pretty cool, so it's getting a vote.

Also, the award for "You ninjaed my idea" goes to the Dimensional Weaponeer.

Honorable mention to Artificer of Kwadesh for an awesome class; I would love to be able to cast an extra vote because it would go to you.

Cheesy74
2012-09-24, 01:32 PM
1. Artificer of Kwalish - An amazing upgrade to an underutilized (awesome) item.
2. Verdant - An excellently-put-together support class, though I find the generic "class ability" progression to be a dangerous game mechanic to use.
3. Card Shark (yeah, yeah, okay)
3. Enigmatician - I like modular classes like this a lot and think they're tougher to pull off - this class has an excellent idea but could use some balancing.

I really like the Walker of the Endless Way, but it has a few too many passive benefits and not enough active ones (like mobility enhancers) to justify the lost caster levels - it reminds me a little too much of the monk's hyper-defensive abilities.

zagan
2012-09-24, 02:52 PM
I really need to find the time to participate in the next round, anyway my vote:

1. Dimensional Weaponeer: A really original class with a cool concept an an excellent execution.

2. Spheroid Oddity: I always had a soft spot for aberration and class with bonded helper this combine both.

3. Dancer of Blades: The idea is very cool, and the image it create awesome. Still a 10th level class with more ability would have been better.

Honorable mention go to the Artificer of Kwalish but it make usable a normally worthless item but I wouldn't want to play it, too 2nd degree for me.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-09-24, 02:58 PM
Honorable mention go to the Artificer of Kwalish but it make usable a normally worthless item but I wouldn't want to play it, too 2nd degree for me.

Might I ask what you mean by "too 2nd degree"? Is that referring to the tone of the class and ability names and such?

EdroGrimshell
2012-09-24, 03:37 PM
1st: Waywanderer
2nd: Artificer of Kwalish
3rd: Walker of the Endless Way
4th: Verdant
I love defensive classes, so Waywanderer clicked with me, hence why it's my number 1.

Lord_Gareth
2012-09-24, 03:46 PM
I really like the Walker of the Endless Way, but it has a few too many passive benefits and not enough active ones (like mobility enhancers) to justify the lost caster levels - it reminds me a little too much of the monk's hyper-defensive abilities.

Flip side: the Walkers don't lose their ninth level spells (or maneuvers).

Zelkon
2012-09-24, 05:14 PM
1st: Artificer of Kwalish: I can't find the actual item, but the names and whatnot as well as the versatility and interesting-ness of the abilities are truly amazing. I aspire to this kind of quality (hell, I aspire to actually being able to build a full class, so maybe that's not a complement)
2nd: Card Shark: Thank the deck. The class is obviously built around it, but the Deck is just so cool!
3rd: Enigmatition: I just like this kind of thing, mysterious insanity.

Honorable Mention goes to Brilliant Paladin, for the quote.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-09-24, 05:30 PM
1st: Artificer of Kwalish: I can't find the actual item, but the names and whatnot as well as the versatility and interesting-ness of the abilities are truly amazing. I aspire to this kind of quality (hell, I aspire to actually being able to build a full class, so maybe that's not a complement)

Glad you like it. :smallbiggrin: The apparatus of Kwalish is in the DMG; you probably can't find it if you're looking online because "Kwalish" is WotC IP, so it's listed under apparatus of the crab on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab).

Kallisti
2012-09-24, 05:48 PM
1. Enigmatician
2. Viscergist
3. Artificer of Kwalish

Glimbur
2012-09-24, 06:08 PM
First vote: Viscgerist
Second Vote: Enigmatician
Third Vote: Artificer of Kwalish

hierophant
2012-09-24, 06:44 PM
1. Viscergist
2. Spheroid Oddity
3. Brilliant Paladin

May edit in some (constructive) criticism later if I get time!

Zelkon
2012-09-24, 08:35 PM
Glad you like it. :smallbiggrin: The apparatus of Kwalish is in the DMG; you probably can't find it if you're looking online because "Kwalish" is WotC IP, so it's listed under apparatus of the crab on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab).

That is the best item. Ever. I think it's the best homebrew I've seen in my limited time on these forums.

Retrokinesis
2012-09-25, 01:38 PM
1. Artificer of Kwalish. Because I have to. I never imagined anything would make me want to use that thing.

2. Spheroid Oddity. I love aberration stuff and the Sphere is one of my favorite items to carry around.

3. Walker of the Endless Way. Tons of nice defensive bonuses, but most of all immortality. Even if it almost never comes up in games I can't resist agelessness.

bindin garoth
2012-09-25, 08:00 PM
1: Artificer of Kwalish: Just have to!
2: Walker of the Endless Ways: While a bit on the defensive side, overall it's a great class!
3: Viscergist: Very unique. Would of never thought of this.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-09-27, 07:49 PM
1. Viscergist: I have a strong desire to gurgle. This class provides such a means.

2. Enigmatician: I love the puzzlebox of this class.

3. Brilliant Paladin: I'm not usually big on Paladins, but the Helm of Brilliance just fits so well.

SamFisher
2012-09-28, 01:23 PM
1. Viscergist
2. Enigmatician
3. Dimensional Weaponeer

ErrantX
2012-09-29, 12:12 PM
Votes are tallied, putting the Artificer of Kwalish scuttling into the lead with Viscergist hot on its heels with a sort of awful sucking, gurgling noise.

Keep the votes going! 4 more days!

-X

Glimbur
2012-10-09, 07:36 PM
So... uh... did you want to officially call it? Looks like Artificer of Kwalish followed by Viscergist followed by Enigmatician.

ErrantX
2012-10-10, 09:43 AM
I got into working some serious overtime and totally blanked on the voting. Yes.

Winner is PairO'Dice Lost with his Artificer of Kwalish! Congrats!

Honorable mention of course to its very close rival in the Viscergist by Hyooz!

ErrantX's pick this contest... I think I'm going to go with the Dimensional Weaponeer by bindin garoth. I love the cool factor of the gloves of storing and have had a great time with one on an Invisible Blade I played years back, and I must say this class would be a blast to play. I love the add ons to make the weapons more unique from the Gallery as well.

Thanks everyone!

-X