PDA

View Full Version : Best off the wall build you've played?

AdamT
2012-09-23, 10:35 PM
Setup: I have been dming Kingmaker. My players are so far away from optimized that a fighter who has never once remembered to use a feat in a fight is seen as the most powerful character in the group (and the group has a wiz, witch, cleric, and druid in it...). To put it mildly, these guys do NOT think about how anything interacts. So even with 4 t1/t2 characters and a fighter they are still often overpowered in encounters. Because of that we have a long tradition of me "playing" a character who is just there to help them in combat a bit (never has an opinion, suggestion, or whatever unless I need it to move the story along).

So one day I am just half asleep and have an idea that is just so far fetched, it just might be cool! The next time we meet up to play, (players did not want to rule the country in the adventures) the king tells them that he has an old friend that the king is sending with the party on the next mission. He sends them to the tavern to meet up with the guy. The walk in and ask the bartender for a guy named A TTTT Schylde. The bartender points out a guy sitting alone at a table. The guy is wearing a black full body suit with combat boots and a black mask with some kind of funky glasses that look kind of like window shades. He has a bandoleer and belt with knives and pouches and such. Hanging from the belt is some kind a sheath that has a strange contraption they cant quite figure out in it. The players go to talk to this guy and he does not speak at all, just shakes his head yes or no. They finally ask him to prove he can fight, so he motions for them to follow them out to the street. They follow him out and he points at a horse, takes the contraption out of the sheath and points it at the horse. The players can now see the contraption, so I describe it (and at the same time, hand the druid a note saying he can tell the horse is lame... he does not share that information). The contraption is about 18 inches long, about 4 inches thick, and about 4 inches high. It is metal except for wood grooved to look like a place to put your hand (and the silent guy is holding it there). It has another piece of wood that comes out of the bottom and points straight down, which the silent guy uses his other hand to hold. So he points it at the horse, the players hear a slight click, and a stream of 12 magic missles, one after the other comes out of it and hammers the horse, instantly killing it and blowing chunks of horsemeat all over the place!

First thing the players said was "Who's horse was that?!?" And when the silent guy pointed at himself they all laughed and said "If he'll do that to his own horse, what do you think he's gonna do to the bad guys!"

So they go and fight, and the silent guy on the first round blows a whistle, which seems to call a wolf to help fight. Players win fight, yada yada.

After fight the druid realizes the wolf has not gone away like a summoned wolf would, so figures its a pet or something and asks its name. Silent guy points at a tree. Druid says Tree? Silent guy shakes his head no, but points at the tree again. Another player says "Tree? Timber! SNAKE EYES!!!! GO* D**N, all of that and its SNAKE EYES!"

Took another minute before they figured out A TTTT Schylde = 80's Child

Build: Standard 7th level pathfinder artificer. Had made a hat of disguise to look like what he was pretending to be. The "uzi" was just his weird science "wand" shaped weird, and the wolf was a summon natures ally 1 on an item which would summon him for 1 hour a day (yea, I streatched on that one, but it was worth it).

So what off the wall things have you guys played?
Next post I'll tell you what 80's did the next level.

AdamT
2012-09-23, 10:36 PM
The idea behind 80's was to change who/what he was each level. Here is what I did with him for level 8. I wanted something even more off the wall this time, so I decided to make him Starscream.

He walked around looking like a robot (described as a construct of metal and glass). When a fight started he "transformed" into a jet (human sized), a huge boom was heard, fire shoot from where his feet were, and he rocketed off into the air... where every time he was lined up just right he would blast a lightening bolt at the bad guys.. and every time he passed over the heads of the players there was a big boom.

Using weird science on round 1 he was able to change to look like the jet, cast fly, and cast sonic burst (had to be carefull with radius on that one... got the witch with it once =). He would then fly around and using another piece of weird science launch lightening bolts at the bad guys. The sonic boom as he passed overhead was just him showing off and using the first thing again...

They figured out he was Starscream pretty quick when he changed into a jet =)