PDA

View Full Version : The coldest journey

pendell
2012-09-24, 04:07 PM
Who says there's no more adventure (http://www.thecoldestjourney.org/home/expedition/)

On 6th December, a team of explorers led by Sir Ranulph Fiennes will set off from London on the world's first ever attempt to cross the Antarctic in winter.

The 2000-mile journey has for many years been considered too perilous to try and the group will have to overcome one of earth's most hostile environments if they are to succeed, exposing themselves to temperatures as low as -80c and operating in near permanent darkness.

A winter traverse of the Antarctic is widely regarded as the last true remaining polar challenge and the expedition's success will reassert Britain's status as the world's greatest nation of explorers.

A fund-raising initiative will run side-by-side with the expedition with the aim of raising $10m for Seeing is Believing to help fight blindness around the world.

Having never been attempted, the expedition will also provide unique and invaluable scientific research that will help climatologists, as well as forming the basis for an education programme that will reach up to 100,000 schools across the Commonwealth.

Good luck, guys!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Logic
2012-09-24, 05:25 PM
On 6 December, it will be nearly summer in Antarctica. My scam-dar is tingling....

Posted from Giantitp.com App for Android

THAC0
2012-09-24, 05:31 PM
How odd...

:smallconfused:

Well, if it is true, I wish them luck?

THAC0
2012-09-24, 05:35 PM
Further reading says they plan to take eight months on the crossing, which would indeed put them over the antarctic winter.

Morph Bark
2012-09-24, 05:51 PM
Would've been wiser to start 3 months earlier in that case.

Aedilred
2012-09-24, 06:04 PM
Would've been wiser to start 3 months earlier in that case.
Isn't it kind of the point that they're crossing in winter?

nedz
2012-09-24, 07:26 PM
Given that the BBC ran a piece on this recently I'm pretty sure its genuine.

The amount of sea ice lags the seasons, which might be a consideration on the timing ?

Ed: Found it (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19609293)

Dr.Epic
2012-09-24, 07:39 PM
WHAT!? NO! Haven't they ever read At the Mountains of Madness? This can only end badly.

GolemsVoice
2012-09-26, 03:29 AM
Not THAT badly. One of them survived, after all. Well, two.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-29, 12:45 AM
What a creative means of commiting group suicide.

Seriously though, this is a really bad idea. If nobody dies it'll be because of dumb luck.

RE; mountains of madness: that was the single most atmospheric piece of literature I've ever read. It was broad daylight out and I felt positively claustrophobic by the time the shoggoth turned up. Sent a nasty chill up my spine when I looked up a satelite image for those coordinates and found that there is indeed a mountain range there, too. Gotta love old Howard Phillip.

Riverdance
2012-10-02, 06:10 PM
What a creative means of commiting group suicide.

Seriously though, this is a really bad idea. If nobody dies it'll be because of dumb luck.

RE; mountains of madness: that was the single most atmospheric piece of literature I've ever read. It was broad daylight out and I felt positively claustrophobic by the time the shoggoth turned up. Sent a nasty chill up my spine when I looked up a satelite image for those coordinates and found that there is indeed a mountain range there, too. Gotta love old Howard Phillip.

My thought process: "No, no, it was H. P. Lovecra...Oh."