PDA

View Full Version : Aundair's finest IC

Drynwyn
2012-09-24, 05:03 PM
You have been dragged out of bed at 0600 hours for a special briefing with 3 other soldiers. A sergeant is briefing you.
Listen up. You soldiers have been chosen to work together as a special unit based on exceptional performance in previous battles. You will soon be teleported to an undisclosed location in mountainous terrain for a training exercise that you should find most educational.
Your objective will be to reach the location of a "valuable artifact" at approximately 10 miles to the north, then reach the extraction point 20 miles south. Assorted troops may be running counter to this operation. You get to find out just where and what they are when you get there. Any questions?

Archmage1
2012-09-24, 06:10 PM
The odd halfling, who has eyes that seem to be far more ancient than any halfling could be, salutes sharply as she responds to the sergeant.

"Sir, will we have the chance to talk with the others before being teleported? Who is in command?"

Mial
2012-09-24, 06:49 PM
Amelia eyes brighten at the mention of exceptional performance. She salutes at then end of the sergeant's speech, and briefly glances at the rest of her new unit. Soon after the sergeants answer to the halflings inquiry, Amelia has a question of her own.

"Sir, based on the choices for this unit, are we expecting severe magical resistance or wards protecting the artifact?"

Newcomer
2012-09-24, 11:10 PM
The copper-haired cleric salutes as well, and awaits the responses to the others' questions. She feels that she owes this peace in large part to Aundair's military, but inwardly she prays: may whatever schemes our leaders have planned not lead us into yet another bloody war.

She patiently listens to the details. Anyone who knew Angelica casually would be surprised at how still and focused she is. None of her girlish fidgeting carries over into this military briefing, where her demeanor speaks competence.

AquilaRift
2012-09-25, 04:50 AM
"How are we to locate and identify the 'artifact,' sir?" Nestor asks. "Or is that another element of the challenge?"

Drynwyn
2012-09-25, 08:25 PM
Probationary Sergeant Lydi'aleera will be on command. As for the artifact, I've been told you'll know it when you see it. Proceed to Special Mobilization room 5 when you are prepared to go.

Archmage1
2012-09-25, 08:58 PM
"Yes sir. Thank you for the promotion. We will discuss how we are going to do this, and then head to supply for rations, and any additional weapons we may need. Permission to leave?"

Drynwyn
2012-09-26, 04:35 AM
Dismissed. Good luck out there.

Archmage1
2012-09-26, 08:51 AM
"Yes Sir."

Lydia salutes, and then leaves the tent.

"You three, follow me. We have a lot ot discuss, and not much time to do it in."

Lydia starts leading the group towards supply.

"My name is Lydia, and I am a support mage. What are your names and specializations? And any other useful skills that may apply?."

knowledge local: is this procedure correct:[roll0]

Newcomer
2012-09-26, 09:49 AM
Angelica salutes as well. "Thank you, sir."

She follows Lydia's lead.

"My name is Angelica Filpit, sir. I am a cleric of the Sovereign Host. I have some skill in combat and support. Sir, if we are able to identify what the artifact is before we find it, I have a spell that can help locate it."

OOC: Locate Object.. should we use spell names in character? I feel like that might be fairly common knowledge, especially among magicians in Aundair's army..

Mial
2012-09-26, 10:29 AM
Amelia salutes and follows her acting sergeant from the tent.
"Sir, Amelia Darwa, frontline shock trooper division.
Specialized in light armor, high speed operations for disrupting enemy lines and support so the sword and board boys can carve right through, sir."

AquilaRift
2012-09-26, 03:14 PM
Nestor salutes. "My name is Nestor Tyche, Sergeant," he says, diffidently. "I serve mainly as a support caster and healer, though I can also provide relevant tactical knowledge if we're up against more... unusual foes."

Archmage1
2012-09-26, 03:19 PM
"It would appear that we have a decent group. Amelia, you are the melee, and the rest of us will support you as best we can. I will focus on disabling them, Nestor, you focus on keeping us alive, and Angelica, you focus on ensuring we fight well. Hopefully, there will be more details at special mobilization room 5. First, we will be going to the quartermasters to collect supplies for a 1 week mission, and any additional equipment that we need. Are any of you lacking in equipment?"

As the group has been talking, they have also been heading for the supply tent.

AquilaRift
2012-09-26, 03:33 PM
"I lack for nothing, Sergeant, unless the mission requires special equipment I'm unaware of." A faint smile crosses his face. "I will not require rations, either. My needs are provided for."

Archmage1
2012-09-26, 03:44 PM
"Well, that is convenient, Nestor. It will allow us to carry less weight, which will be helpful. However, the rest of us will need rations. 30 should do for a week, with some extra, just in case. After we pick up the food, we should head to the special missions tent 5."

Drynwyn
2012-09-26, 06:31 PM
At the supply station, you are issued rations and nonlethal substitution augment crystals. With lower levels of training, blunt weapons are cheaper, but due to the importance of magical weapons in the duels of more skilled fighters, the Aundarian military pioneered this substitute. It can also be used as a focusing lens for damaging spells in order to produce blunt, nonlethal, impacts rather than deadly energies.
Upon reaching special mobilization room 5, you are unceremoniously teleported off. Your guide then immediately teleports back, avoiding eye contact with any of you.

You find yourself in a hot, humid jungle. The foliage and canopy are thick, and it is quite dark thanks to the impenetrable roof of leaves above your heads.

Archmage1
2012-09-26, 07:42 PM
Lydia looks around, surveying the immediate area.

"That was fast. We need to find north. Amelia, can you climb one of these trees to get an idea of where we are? Anyone see anything in the immediate area?"

survival check to find north(not sure of the dc)[roll0]
spot[roll1]
listen[roll2]
knowledge nature: information about jungles[roll3]
knowledge geography[roll4]: where are we

AquilaRift
2012-09-26, 08:08 PM
Nestor scans the area watchfully. Perhaps he'll see something the others don't.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Mial
2012-09-26, 08:29 PM
Amelia is slightly disoriented by the sudden change of scenery, but quickly reorients herself and checks for threats.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

While looking around her, she hears the order.

"Sir, of course sir."
She heads over to what she perceives as the tallest tree and climbs it, checking for landmarks upon reaching the top.

OOC:I can take a 10 on the climb check right? 10+24 = 34 climb
Survival to find north (using the sun's position as well) [roll2]

Drynwyn
2012-09-26, 08:53 PM
You easily reach the top of the tree. These trees are surprisingly uniform in height, and just below the canopy, you encounter a floor like structure with occasional gaps. This natural floor extends as far as you can see. Climbing through one of the holes, you look around. The sun is rising, and you can see a large clearing to the north about 10 miles distant.

Archmage1
2012-09-26, 09:24 PM
Lydia watches as Amelia dispersal into the thick canopy of the trees. After several minutes, she begins to grow concerned.

"Amelia, Report! There should be a natural canopy, almost like a floor. What do you see?"

Newcomer
2012-09-26, 10:27 PM
Angelica collects her wits and looks around to see what's out there.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Mial
2012-09-27, 01:00 AM
Amelia completes her survey, and shimmies down the tree.

Smiling slightly she informs the party of the above area.

"The forest extends like this as far as I can see in most directions, but there is a clearing roughly 10 miles north. The area above is indeed floorlike; I believe it could be walkable. I'm unsure how much weight per tree can be sustained, so we may need to march with some distance between us if we choose that route. Alternatively, we could keep one us, probably myself, up there as a scout and watchparty while the rest use the ground. In the event of a fight I can descend rather quickly to assist, and in the opposite event, the 3 of you can cast spells at range to help me or slow enemies while I make the descent.

Archmage1
2012-09-27, 08:26 AM
"These trees are magical. It is doubtful that we will break them, unless we are trying to. If all of us head up top, we should be able to travel faster. Amelia, at a guess, that is where the artifact is."

knowledge nature[roll0] would the canopy be strong enough to carry us?
knowledge architecture[roll1] would the canopy be strong enough to carry us?
knowledge arcana[roll2] where did the trees come from(ignore if not relevant)

Archmage1
2012-09-27, 11:00 PM
"Ok then. We will climb up the trees, and proceed on the top of the trees. It should allow us to move faster. We will drop down to the ground when we are within one mile of the clearing, so that we can avoid notice for longer. Amelia, can you climb the tree again, and attach this rope to it, so that the rest of us can climb it?"

Lydia handed Amelia 50ft of silk rope.

Mial
2012-09-28, 07:12 AM
Amelia throws the rope over her shoulder.

"Sir, yes sir."
She begins the ascent up the tree. Upon reaching the top she ties the rope to a tree and lowers it to allow the others to climb up.

Climb: Take 10 (10+24)=34
Use Rope: Take 10 (10+2)= 12

Archmage1
2012-09-28, 08:25 AM
"Up the trees we go."

Lydia climbs up the rope.
climb: take 10, so 10.

Drynwyn
2012-09-28, 08:51 AM
You are all able to make it up the rope relatively easily. From here, you can see the clearing Amelia described. Traveling on this surface ought to be much easier than making your way through the undergrowth.

Archmage1
2012-09-28, 08:55 AM
After everyone has climbed up, Lydia gathers up her rope, and stores it in her pack, and starts marching towards the clearing in the north.

"To the clearing!"

Newcomer
2012-09-28, 10:26 AM
Angelica keeps pace with her sergeant. Thus far she is impressed with how focused her platoon is on the mission. Her confidence is bolstered as she realizes that she has risen to the point where she is part of an elite squad like this one. She thanks the gods for their favor and proceeds forward, her fingers twitching on the handle of her morningstar.

AquilaRift
2012-09-28, 03:26 PM
Nestor keeps up with little difficulty, mentally running over his spell complement in preparation for whatever lies ahead.

Drynwyn
2012-09-29, 10:41 AM
After walking three miles or so, you hear people talking on the forest floor below. Suddenly, one of them interjects with:
Shut up and pay attention! Anyone could just walk by you right now.

Angelica, you notice that the cadence of her voice is off for someone who is supposedly aggravated. You suspect that she is using a code phrase.

Archmage1
2012-09-29, 10:49 AM
Lydia pauses, and places her finger over her lips, signaling to the others to be quiet, and to form up on her, before she starts sneaking.
move silently[roll0]
hide[roll1]

After they gather around.

"That is not a standard code phrase by Aundair. I would have expected troops from our unit, not from somewhere else. We will need to investigate this."

Newcomer
2012-09-29, 11:37 AM
Angelica silently points to her full plate and signals to Lydia and the others to gather where she is instead, as she's the most likely to be heard moving.

Hide: [roll0]

Archmage1
2012-09-29, 12:03 PM
Lydia shrugs, and moves to Angelica, and has everyone form up there, instead.

Mial
2012-09-29, 07:04 PM
Amelia forms up, but tries to move as quietly as possible to help herself and the others try to pinpoint any other noises.

Move Silently [roll0]

AquilaRift
2012-09-29, 07:30 PM
Nestor does the same.

Move Silently [roll0]

...:elan:

Archmage1
2012-09-29, 08:01 PM
"All right then. Do we follow the mission, or do we investigate? That is not a standard code phrase, and it sounds like code to me."

Newcomer
2012-09-29, 10:54 PM
"Yes, it definitely struck me as some kind of code."

Angelica is torn. On the one hand, she wants to succeed on the mission and make a good showing as the new elite unit. On the other hand, her curiosity is piqued, and the investigation sounds enticing. And it could turn out to be something more important than the mission.

"I think a quick investigation, then re-evaluate as we learn more. But you're in charge."

AquilaRift
2012-09-29, 11:23 PM
"It isn't really my place to say, but I think we should investigate. The other sergeant mentioned other groups would be countering us. I can't imagine these people are anything else, and intelligence on them could be valuable later in the operation."

Archmage1
2012-09-30, 07:22 AM
"Very well then. We will descend, and investigate. The tricky bit will be in getting down unseen. I have one use of invisibility, so I can get one person down undetected, but can anyone else get down without those below being aware of it? If things go badly, whomever goes down wil need the support of the group to survive."

Times to wish Lydia had feather fall memorized...

Newcomer
2012-09-30, 07:35 AM
Angelica just shakes her head. None of her spells would be particularly useful at the moment.

Mial
2012-09-30, 07:52 AM
Amelia speaks in barely a whisper so only her party can hear.

"I can try to climb down quietly and use the tree as cover, but it won't be of much use if I climb down the wrong side. Do we know what direction the voice came from?"

Archmage1
2012-09-30, 08:16 AM
"All I know is that it came from below us."

Lydia drops prone, and tries to see if she can see the people on the ground.

Drynwyn
2012-09-30, 12:26 PM
Through one of the holes, you observe 3 human figures. They are in Aundarian uniforms, and appear to be keeping close watch for intruders.

Archmage1
2012-10-02, 09:31 AM
"Well, there are 3 that I can see, but they are wearing Aundarian uniforms, which is very odd. If they are here for us, I would have expected them to be out of uniform, since they are emulating an enemy. We should be able to climb down a tree that they are not looking at. Hopefully, they will not notice us doing so. Angelica, if your spells can hit them from here, you should probably stay here, so that your armor does not give away our position. Everyone else, follow me. We will be going down a tree, so climb carefully, and quietly."

Lydia moves over to the far side of one of the trees, so that the trunk of the tree is between her and the enemies, and starts climbing down.

so, many rolls
move silently(top)[roll0]
move silently(descent)[roll1]
hide top[roll2]
hide descent[roll3]
climb: 10

AquilaRift
2012-10-02, 10:03 AM
Nestor follows Lydia down the tree, cautiously.

Also taking 10 on the Climb check if possible.
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Newcomer
2012-10-02, 11:04 AM
Before Lydia climbs down, Angelica responds.

"I can try to paralyze one of them, but I only have the one offensive spell prepared. I have my crossbow, but I'm not a great shot, so perhaps I should follow you down if trouble starts?"

OOC: The range on Hold Person is 140 ft. What is the ground below like? If I were to jump down, could I land on a yielding surface (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#falling) (soft ground, mud)?

Mial
2012-10-02, 12:05 PM
Amelia climbs down a tree as quietly as possible, cringing slightly at the hearty attempt of Nestor.

Move silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Drynwyn
2012-10-02, 08:25 PM
The apparent leader who spoke a code phrase earlier suddenly laughs aloud. She jogs over to the tree Nestor and Lydia are descending and speaks 3 harsh syllables. Flame bursts from her hands, and the tree catches fire.

Lydia, you know she just cast burning hands, which explicitly lights flammable materials; you are about 20 feet down the trunk when this happens, 30 feet above the ground. Nestor is 5 feet above you. The flames coat the first 15 feet of the trunk.

Archmage1
2012-10-02, 08:33 PM
Lydia looks down, and observes the casting of the spell. She then looks up, and gestures to the others to keep on coming. Then she resumes climbing down.

I hope this does not light the whole forest. Still, the fire will be better than the fall, odd though that may sound.

Lydia descends to be just above the flames, before she realizes that she needs to go, and climbs down through the flames, trusting in her cloak to protect her

figured we are in combat, so one round only. 1d6 fire damage beats 1d6 fall damage+1d6 nonlethal.
climb[roll0]
climb[roll1]

AquilaRift
2012-10-02, 11:08 PM
"Hang on, Sergeant. I've got a cure with your name on it coming up."

Archmage1
2012-10-02, 11:15 PM
Looking at herself, as if she had just noticed the pain of her burns.
"Nestor, it is just some minor burns. More worrisome is what the enemy is planning on doing."

I am figuring that she might be a bit removed from her body in combat, seeing as she has been reincarnated twice. It also offers a convenient reason not to be complaining about the pain

Archmage1
2012-10-07, 10:35 AM
"Confusion... Confusion. Time to throw in a bit of confusion."

Lydia casts Cloud of Bewilderment (http://therafim.wikidot.com/cloud-of-bewilderment)(dc 20 fort or nausea) on the mage, using it to block sight from the swordsmen as well. Drop the cloudy conjuration to completely block sight from the swordsmen->make it hard to find Lydia.

Drynwyn
2012-10-07, 05:12 PM
As you try to cast your spell, an arrow strikes you in the back.

Take [roll0] points of non-lethal damage and roll concentration to avoid losing your spell.
EDIT: Ouch. Nearly max damage sneak attack.

Archmage1
2012-10-07, 05:19 PM
As she attempts to cast her spell, Lydia is struck by an arrow, and falls unconscious.

That much non-lethal knocks her out, but if she can still get the spell off...
concentration[roll0]
On the plus side, the fire damage made no difference.

Drynwyn
2012-10-08, 09:59 AM
A young soldier carrying a shortbow leaps out of the brush where he was concealed. Before anyone can react, he looses another arrow at Nestor.
To-hit: [roll0]
If it hits, take [roll1] nonlethal damage.

AquilaRift
2012-10-08, 10:52 AM
OOC
It definitely hits. I've got a decent chance of making the Concentration check -- but of course I can't act until the rest of the enemy have done so.

Nestor lets out a hoarse cry of pain as the arrow strikes him, but it doesn't appear to have slowed him down.

Drynwyn
2012-10-08, 03:49 PM
The Mage speaks, and points at Nestor. A firey ray springs forth towards him.Ranged touch: [roll0] for [roll1] if it hits.
The ray misses, shooting off through the canopy.
The warriors advance to stand beside the Mage, ready to attack.

Newcomer
2012-10-08, 04:22 PM
Angelica holds out her holy symbol towards one of the two warriors, with a quick gesture and a word, and the warrior feels a force trying to hold him in place.

She then casts another spell, intoning for a moment, and suddenly she feels the familiar sensation that she can move more quickly. She darts across the canopy, carefully picking a path that will not expose her position by sight, stopping beside a tree to the rear and/or side of the warriors. She positions herself carefully so that there is no line of sight from where the enemies are to where she stopped.

Angelica casts DMM:quickened Hold Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holdPerson.htm) on the warrior, DC 16 Will save to avoid being paralyzed.
She then spontaneously casts Longstrider on herself (Travel domain), dropping Entropic Shield. That takes a swift action and a standard action, leaving her the move action to relocate.

AquilaRift
2012-10-08, 04:44 PM
Nestor intones the words of a spell and moves adjacent to Lydia.

OOC
Concentration check, since I took damage this round: [roll0]. Casting Spiritual Weapon targeted at the mage. If my check succeeds:
Attack roll: [roll1]
Damage if it hits (nonlethal, since the augment crystal's still active): [roll2]

A ghostly blade appears in front of the enemy caster and lashes out at him.

Mial
2012-10-08, 07:09 PM
Amelia sees the battle erupt and her CO go down. With a sense of urgency she dives into the fray. Ducking and diving, she tries to take the heat off her injured teammates.

OOC

Tumble checks to avoid AOO against both warriors and the mage: [roll0][roll1][roll2]

Flurry of Blows:
Attack 1: Stunning Fist attack against the mage. [roll3]
If a hit [roll4] non-lethal, and a Fort dc 14 save or stunned for 1 round.
Attack 2: Trip attack against the warrior that did not have Hold Person cast at it.
Melee touch attack [roll5]
If successful, opposed strength [roll6]