PDA

View Full Version : Quadruped Race [3.5/PF]

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-25, 12:10 AM
This occurred to me just now.
Non-Bipedal Player Races with Class levels.
Natural Attacks
Natural Armor
Natural Spell (or Equivalent as bonus feat, or at least you're able to take it without Wild Shape)
Heard of it? Seen it? Advise against it?

Deathkeeper
2012-09-25, 12:51 AM
Technically centaurs are quadruped, but I know, not what you mean.
And I mean, what you're thinking of works fine with Eidolons in combat, it would just be slightly more difficult to buy gear and possibly a bit hard for a player to rp. And obviously you'd have to work in into the world's lore.

Mithril Leaf
2012-09-25, 12:56 AM
Nagas and Bauriers are both non-standard races as far as legs go, both at +1 LA. The Naga I'm about to play can't use boots as magic gear, so he'll be binding Urskan Greaves to that chakra. Additionally, one could argue for Beguilers being a player race which would be interesting.

EDIT: Forgot those hilarious spiders in Monsters Of Faerun. +0 LA, 8 legs, no hands, no Intelligence.

Arbane
2012-09-25, 01:56 AM
Quadrupedal spellcasters? here you go. (http://1d4chan.org/images/3/32/Ponyfinder_page27.jpg) :smallbiggrin:

Zaq
2012-09-25, 02:24 AM
EDIT: Forgot those hilarious spiders in Monsters Of Faerun. +0 LA, 8 legs, no hands, no Intelligence.

OK, I know Monsters of Faerun is a severely messed up book (I contend that the Malaugrym is way, WAY more hilariously under-CR'd than even the Adamantine Horror), but I've never noticed that. I'm looking at the entry on spiders right now, and I don't see anything indicating that they're playable races, so I'm clearly not looking at the right thing. What is this?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-25, 06:43 AM
I think the Hairy Spider got LA +0 in the 3.5 update booklet.

DigoDragon
2012-09-25, 07:06 AM
Quadrupedal spellcasters? here you go. (http://1d4chan.org/images/3/32/Ponyfinder_page27.jpg) :smallbiggrin:

I did that to my D&D players once. :smallbiggrin:
I was running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and threw in an encounter with two: a dark-purple unicorn conjurer and a faded-yellow pegasus druid. It was a party of 7 and they were only able to end the combat in a draw, though they did take down the druid.

The thing with quadruped races is if they're like centaurs (they can use humanoid weapons/spells and have huge movement bonuses) or are they strictly jsut four-legged (problems with weilding most anything). Power varies wildly depending on its physical capabilities.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-09-25, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking more along the lines of intelligent wolves/cats/bears.
Sort of like an awakened animal set of races but standardized as a player race with no HD or LA/CR+x. Give them a natural attack or summat. hmm, how nice/bored are the people at the homebrew forum?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-25, 09:06 AM
I think there is a Request Homebrew thread, might want to check that.