PDA

View Full Version : Sentient Crystal: The Deykiir (3.5 Race/Paragon class, PEACH)

Trodon
2012-09-25, 12:21 AM
NOTE: I made this race before I was aware of the Shardmind in 4.0 thank you.

This is a race I've made for my homebrew campaign setting over time I'm going to be putting various bit that I've made, classes mostly for now.

Deykiir (Day-kear)
These unique and (relatively) newly-discovered creatures are seldom-seen outside of their own, or the dwarven strongholds throughout the Dragon-Spine and the name yet-unknown mountain ranges. The deykiir are hard and loyal workers, and don't care much for coin, they trade valuable and pretty gemstones as their currency.
Personality: Most deykiir are somewhat quiet when in the company of other races, though there have been a few known to come out of their shell, so to speak, and enjoy a good night of drinking (though they don't themselves) with friends.
Physical Description: Deykiir usually stand between 5'10" and 6' 2", the crystal that makes up their bodies varies in color, ranging anywhere from purple to orange to brown to pale white. They often sculpt their head to resemble hair if they are in the company of other races, in attempts to blend in. Deykiir have no gender, however some may have a more feminine or masculine voice and body shape.
Relations: Deykiir get along the most with dwarves, being the race that discovered them, and both races love to fine gems, they tend to get along just fine. As a whole race, the deykiir have only ever met the dwarves, and gnomes, being the race that visits the dwarves more than any other. They get along fine with the gnomes, however most gnomes are a bit to interested in their crystal bodies to spend long stretches of time with one.
Alignment: Deykiir lean a bit towards chaos, as their society's ruler must defeat the current ruler in combat (to the death or not, varies from challenge to challenge). And more to neutrality than good or evil as a whole.
Deykiir Lands: The Deykiir inhabit caverns (both natural and made by them) of a mixture of stone and the crystal that makes up their bodies. They often will travel to a nearby dwarven stronghold, or town and make a life for themselves there, as guards or jewelers more often than not.
Religion: Few deykiir peruse religion, as they don't have a deity of their own. Those who do tend towards lawful deities more so than chaotic, and neutral rather than good or evil.
Language: Deykiir speak their own language known as crystal-speak, made up of (usually) high-pitched fluctuating rings and a few clicking-like sounds. Most also learn dwarven, as most of the other races that they come in contact with are dwarves, or speak their language.
Names: The Deykiir are usually named for their distinctive color and features, for instance, a deykiir could call out (in their own language of course) some variation of violet spike-arm for a violet-colored deykiir with a single spiky arm. However they usually choose (or get assigned) a name that seemingly fits better by other races.

Deykiir Racial Traits
Living Construct: Deykiir have the living construct type.
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma*: Deykiir are strong and hardy, but other races find them odd or awkward to converse with.
Natural armor +2: The crystal they are made of is very hard, granting them additional protection.
Medium: Deykiir are medium sized.
Base land speed 30ft, Burrow speed 5ft: Deykiir aren't slower than most similar-sized races, and have developed the ability to burrow through natural stone as a means to expand their caverns.
Darkvision 60ft.
Crystalline Weapon: As a move action a deykiir may shape his arm/arms into any weapon/shield they are proficient with. Ranged weapons shoot out crystal shards, and two-handed weapons still use up both hands. Should his arms be sundered he may spend a move action to return them to weapons or his normal arms.
Automatic Languages**: Crystal-Speak, Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Gnome, Halfling, Terran, Undercommon.
Favored Class: Warblade.
*:In my setting I've boosted up all of the race's stats up slightly.
**:Halfling is the most widely spoken language, and not everyone will start out with it automatically.

Deykiir Paragon Class
Deykiir Paragon
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Weapon Focus: (Crystalline Weapon)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Improved darkvision (+30 ft.), Natural Armor Increase

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Ability boost (Str+2), Burrow Speed (+10ft)[/table]

Abilities:
Strength is important for deykiir paragons as they are frequently in combat, whether with themselves or outsiders. Constitution helps them stay up longer in combat.

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills:
The deykiir paragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Listen (Wis), and Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level
2 + Int modifier (X4 at level 1.)

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A deykiir paragon is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light, medium, and heavy armor, and with shields (but not tower shields).

Weapon Focus (Crystalline Weapon) (Ex): At 1st level a deykiir paragon gains Weapon Focus (Crystalline Weapon) as a bonus feat.

Improved Darkvision (Ex): At 2nd level a deykiir paragon’s darkvision range increases by 30 feet.

Natural Armor Increase (Ex): At 2nd level a deykiir’s crystalline body hardens, improving their natural armor bonus by +2.

Ability boost (Ex): At 3rd level a deykiir paragon’s Strength score increases by 2 points.

Burrow Speed (Ex): At 3rd level the deykiir paragon’s burrow speed increases by 10 feet.

Deykiir, 1st level Warrior
Medium Construct (Living Construct)
HD 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); Burrow 5 ft. (1 square)
Init: +0
AC 14 (+2 natural, +2 crystalline shield); touch 10; flat-footed 14
BAB +1; Grp +3
Attack Crystalline Weapon (Longsword) +4 melee (1d8+2 / 19-20X2) or Crystalline Weapon (Longbow) +2 Ranged (1d8 / X3)
Full-Attack Crystalline Weapon (Longsword) +4 melee (1d8+2 / 19-20X2) or Crystalline Weapon (Longbow) +2 Ranged (1d8 / X3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Living Construct traits, Crystalline Weapon
Saves Fort +4 Ref +0 Will -1
Abilities Str 15, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills Spot+3, Listen +3
Feats Weapon Focus (Crystalline Weapon)
Environment Mountains (Underground)
Organization Solitary, Pair, Squad (2-4)
Challenge Rating 1/2
Treasure No coins, double goods, standard Items
Alignment Usually lawful neutral
Advancement by character class
Level Adjustment +0

NOTES:
I might have some other information that might be relevant to this race that I can't think of right now, but I'm exhausted and hurting so I'll edit this tomorrow if if there is indeed something I missed.

Edit: Looking over this it may be a tad strong, but I've never been the best judge for balance.

Noctis Vigil
2012-09-25, 10:36 PM
I like. :smallbiggrin:

I feel that the "form a weapon whenever" bit is a little out of place, though. Personally, I would make it some form of claw or built in weapon that can't be changed.

Additionally, while the fluff mentioned makes it seem they don't eat or drink, you don't actually have anything about that in the stat block. Do they need to or not?

I may use these at some point, they're pretty cool.

Trodon
2012-09-25, 11:20 PM
I like. :smallbiggrin:

I feel that the "form a weapon whenever" bit is a little out of place, though. Personally, I would make it some form of claw or built in weapon that can't be changed.

Additionally, while the fluff mentioned makes it seem they don't eat or drink, you don't actually have anything about that in the stat block. Do they need to or not?

I may use these at some point, they're pretty cool.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin: And living constructs don't need to eat, sleep or breath, at least that's what the MM2 says. And feel free to use it whenever, it's why I made it after all. :smallsmile:

Noctis Vigil
2012-09-26, 02:11 AM
Thanks! :smallbiggrin: And living constructs don't need to eat, sleep or breath, at least that's what the MM2 says. And feel free to use it whenever, it's why I made it after all. :smallsmile:

Derrrr, should have caught that. And awesome, this will throw my players for a loop. :smallamused:

Trodon
2012-09-26, 09:14 AM
Derrrr, should have caught that. And awesome, this will throw my players for a loop. :smallamused:

Awesome, I hope you all enjoy them. :smallbiggrin: