PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Australian Meetup, 8-9th Dec, Sydney NSW

Rawhide
2012-09-25, 01:21 AM
Australian Meetup, Sat 8th to Sun 9th Dec, Sydney NSW

Where: Sydney (venue undecided)
What: Meet each other! (activities undecided)
When: 8th or 9th (primary day undecided), with extra days for the committed!
Why: Because, meetup! (seriously, y'all should come)
How: Any means necessary.

Who:

Pretty much definite:
Rawhide [either or both days, depending on bed availability]
loopy
Roc Ness

Maybe:
Elm11
Red Rubber Band [Sunday only and maybe Saturday evening]
Katana_Geldar (has a gaming event to attend, but I'd very much like to include everyone if possible - perhaps we can visit for an hour or so?)
Klose_the_Sith

Unlikely:
Agamid
Dispozition
Death, your friend the Reaper
Serpentine
Black_Pants_Guy

Serpentine
2012-09-25, 03:25 AM
Tsk tsk tsk Rawhide, you know we're not meant to have threads for specific places :smalltongue:

I would LOVE to come to another meet-up. I'm hooked. If I'm at all able to make it, I will. Did you have anything specific in mind?

Rawhide
2012-09-25, 06:58 AM
Tsk tsk tsk Rawhide, you know we're not meant to have threads for specific places :smalltongue:

I would LOVE to come to another meet-up. I'm hooked. If I'm at all able to make it, I will. Did you have anything specific in mind?

It's not a location thread, it's a meetup thread! :smalltongue:

No idea. Don't even know specific dates or the best location. I won't actually be in Sydney, but a few hours south of it (should be able to make it to Sydney if that's where people want to meet, I think).

Plus, I have no idea of what there is to do in and around Sydney...

Serpentine
2012-09-25, 07:15 AM
Well, if we wanted to go along the lines of the last Australian meet-up, there's Taronga Zoo and Luna Park...
Or if we wanted more like the UK meet-ups, we just need a room and a stack of games.
Or if we wanted to go the way of my recent family meet-up, we could get a place in the Blue Mountains and get in touch with nature.

Rawhide
2012-09-25, 07:44 AM
Well, if we wanted to go along the lines of the last Australian meet-up, there's Taronga Zoo and Luna Park...
Or if we wanted more like the UK meet-ups, we just need a room and a stack of games.
Or if we wanted to go the way of my recent family meet-up, we could get a place in the Blue Mountains and get in touch with nature.

I do enjoy the Blue Mountains idea, but I'd really have to check out the costs. After getting all the way down there, I won't exactly have loose change to burn.

But, the real question would be if there will be any other playgrounders, or if it would just be us, sharing a hut in the Blue Mountains.

There's of course always the landmarks, as you suggest, or just gaming too. Is there anything else worthwhile that you can only experience in Sydney or greater NSW?

Serpentine
2012-09-25, 08:39 AM
I do enjoy the Blue Mountains idea, but I'd really have to check out the costs. After getting all the way down there, I won't exactly have loose change to burn.It'll depend how many people we have to split it between. I was looking at it for the UK meet up, and at least over there it's surprisingly affordable to rent a cottage... if you have enough people. I don't know how it'd compare here. We'd also most likely want to rent a car again.

But, the real question would be if there will be any other playgrounders, or if it would just be us, sharing a hut in the Blue Mountains.How romantic :smallwink:
Might I suggest changing the thread title to something like "Australian Meet-Up #2" or somesuch? More likely to get interest, especially as last time people came from all the way over in Western Australia and just about everywhere else, not just Queensland.

There's of course always the landmarks, as you suggest, or just gaming too. Is there anything else worthwhile that you can only experience in Sydney or greater NSW?Bush, Sydney Harbour and Opera House, Circular Quay, the Three Sisters... Dunno what else.
Oooo. We should see if we can find this place I stayed at once in Barrington Tops. It was ridiculously fun, although as I was in primary school at the time I have absolutely no idea how much it cost, nor how much it would cost now - nor, for that matter, whether it's even still there.

Rawhide
2012-09-25, 08:43 AM
Well, I wasn't intending for it to be a full blown meet-up, just a get together thingy. I don't even know when I will be available yet.

Lady Moreta
2012-09-25, 08:51 AM
Darling Harbour is good to wander around... Ooooh! You should totally go to the Powerhouse Museum :smallbiggrin:

I actually did some research into the Blue Mountains a while back when a second Australasia meetup was suggested - it is, I'm sorry to say, quite expensive.

Not that I'd be coming... my sister is getting married December 15, so Peregrine and I will be in New Zealand. Well, I will at least, we're not sure when he's going to fly over yet... depends on when school finishes.

Serpentine
2012-09-25, 09:03 AM
Well, I wasn't intending for it to be a full blown meet-up, just a get together thingy. I don't even know when I will be available yet.Wellll... would it be bad if it was? I think something in the title indicating your intent could be helpful, though. But whatevs *shrug*

Rawhide
2012-09-25, 09:19 AM
Wellll... would it be bad if it was? I think something in the title indicating your intent could be helpful, though. But whatevs *shrug*

I can add something about that. And it would only be bad in the sense that people can't be spontaneous/chop and change/etc. if they are from much further away. I don't even know when I will be available yet.

P.S. I did advertise it in the Australasia thread.

Serpentine
2012-09-25, 09:45 AM
This place (http://www.wangat.com.au/cgi-bin/engine.pl?Page=page.html&Rec=3) seems reasonable, and might be the place I went to when I was little, although there's no horserides anymore if it is.
(note: well aware it's highly unlikely we'd go there. Just throwing things out there for consideration)

Roc Ness
2012-09-25, 04:56 PM
I'm interested in coming, although I don't think I'd be able to make the blue mountains.

Put me down for the city area, assuming the date doesn't clash with school times.

Rawhide
2012-09-25, 05:52 PM
This place (http://www.wangat.com.au/cgi-bin/engine.pl?Page=page.html&Rec=3) seems reasonable, and might be the place I went to when I was little, although there's no horserides anymore if it is.
(note: well aware it's highly unlikely we'd go there. Just throwing things out there for consideration)

That place looks surprisingly like the place I stayed at in the Blue Mountains (but definitely isn't).

I'm interested in coming, although I don't think I'd be able to make the blue mountains.

Put me down for the city area, assuming the date doesn't clash with school times.

So, the weekend then? Or when does school term finish?

Roc Ness
2012-09-26, 04:37 AM
So, the weekend then? Or when does school term finish?

Yeah, weekend preferably. School ends Friday 21st, which is much too late for Lady M.

The Succubus
2012-09-26, 04:43 AM
Bore da, Welshmen!

Oh wait, you're fake Welsh people. >.>

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-26, 04:50 AM
I'd be interested but city sounds better than Blue Mountains. I like the idea of a gaming meet up and I can bring Paranoia.

Lady Moreta
2012-09-26, 09:04 AM
Yeah, weekend preferably. School ends Friday 21st, which is much too late for Lady M.

Actually, we're likely to be back home in Perth by then :smalltongue: but we wouldn't be able to come either way, we're poor. (well, poor-ish)

Rawhide
2012-09-26, 09:19 AM

It won't be that late. If it's the weekend, it will be 8-9 or 15-16, but I may not be there for one, the other, or either. Dunno yet.

Rawhide
2012-09-28, 04:12 AM
So, if we're doing gaming, does anyone actually live in Sydney with a place large enough to fit several gamers around a table?

Looking much more likely to be the weekend of the 8-9.

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-28, 09:50 AM
What about Good Games in Burwood? They're nice and big, but I have no idea what they're like weekends.

Wait a sec, what am I thinking? Macquarie Con is on that weekend at Macquarie University. Why not make it there?

SilverSheriff
2012-09-29, 07:45 AM
I'll try saving to come; hopefully Paizo doesn't release any more Pathfinder books.

If most, if not all, the members of last years meet-up are gonna be in town I'll be there with bells on.

After all, what would a AUSitp meet-up be without me?:smalltongue:

Serpentine
2012-09-29, 07:52 AM
It would be pantsless.

And that's terrible.

Rawhide
2012-09-29, 07:56 AM
What about Good Games in Burwood? They're nice and big, but I have no idea what they're like weekends.

Wait a sec, what am I thinking? Macquarie Con is on that weekend at Macquarie University. Why not make it there?

At first I was like, CON??? But then I saw that it's really just a hall hire for people to game. I don't think 3 hours is really going to be enough for us. Heck, I was considering options for staying overnight in Sydney (anyone have a spare bed/couch/mattress/whatever?), so that we can get maximum gaming/activity time!

I'll be a few hours away, and others such as Serpentine and Black_Pants_Guy are even further away.

Klose_the_Sith
2012-09-29, 08:04 AM
I'll possibly be in Canberra, so I might be interested in coming down to Sydney and putting up with its UNMITIGATED AWFULNESS if the chance of gaming with Playgrounders exists. File me under 'maybe'.

SilverSheriff
2012-09-29, 08:24 AM
It would be pantsless.

And that's terrible.

That doesn't sound too bad. :smallamused:

Rawhide
2012-09-30, 08:52 AM
Ok, this is officially happening, whether you like it or not. I've changed the title in preparation.

I will be near enough to Sydney to attend on either the 8th or 9th of December and, if I can find a bed/couch/mattress/whatever to crash on, I will be able to attend both days.

Let's start discussing what day(s) we want to do this on, what activities we'd like to do (see stuff? game? etc?), and where we'd like to do it. Also, we need to start making a list of definites and maybes.

Serpentine
2012-09-30, 08:59 AM
I'll be definitely coming, unless I can't. I know, not very helpful :smalltongue: But I simply have no idea where I'll be by then - Hell, I just now applied for a job in Cockburn*, WA!
Assuming I do go, I'll have somewhere to stay myself, but won't be able to offer a bed to anyone else (and honestly, if I can I'd prefer to stay with other Playgrounders).

*tee hee :smallbiggrin:

SilverSheriff
2012-09-30, 09:20 AM
But I simply have no idea where I'll be by then - Hell, I just now applied for a job in Cockburn*, WA!

You should try applying for something near Brisbane, that way you can hang out with Agamid and I, it'd be cool to have more playgrounders in town. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2012-09-30, 09:25 AM
I've applied for a few up that way. I'll probably try bugging Gold Coast libraries directly soon, seeing as I've worked for them before, but seeing as I've worked for them before I figure I should check my info on my resume about my time there is right before I do so...

Rawhide
2012-09-30, 09:25 AM
Honestly, I could probably get you a job in a library near here. I know a guy who knows a guy*. But you're probably fed up with library jobs.

*Ok, it's a lot more direct than that, and also female.

Serpentine
2012-09-30, 09:35 AM
Actually, library jobs are exactly what I'm looking for, so I will totally take you up on that offer to get me a job that you didn't quite make.

Rawhide
2012-09-30, 09:39 AM
I'm talking casual library assistant here, nothing fancy or with security/guaranteed hours.

Serpentine
2012-09-30, 09:42 AM
I'll still check it out. Especially as it's not in bloody Narrabri or 300km out of Perth (but where is it, actually?). Bonus points if you can get me somewhere to live, too :smalltongue: Let me know.

2012-09-30, 09:45 AM
West side for lyfe reporting in!

While holly dazing over East does sound like a great time, I fear December is a terrible period of time for me.

The other two people in my department have a wedding/vacation planned, and we would already be understaffed. As such I fear I wouldn't be able to put in for annual leave for this time on such short notice.

I will continue to monitor the thread though, in case it does seem more likely I'd be able to make it to such a high koalaty meetup!

Dispozition
2012-09-30, 09:48 AM
Seriously guys, make these in melbourne or coincide with a major con so I can actually come :P

Shame I won't be able to make it, but I'll be at uni, and quite poor, so there's 0 chance of me attending >:

Serpentine
2012-09-30, 09:52 AM
Y'know, if this forum dooviewhatsit can get me a job twice, my mum just might be sold on this Internet thingumabob :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2012-09-30, 09:58 AM
I'll still check it out. Especially as it's not in bloody Narrabri or 300km out of Perth (but where is it, actually?). Bonus points if you can get me somewhere to live, too :smalltongue: Let me know.

Whaa? :smallconfused: Cockburn isn't 300km outside Perth! It's 24km south of the CBD! :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2012-09-30, 10:00 AM
Naaaaah, that was a different job. Forget where it was for, but not the Cockburn one. The 300k-from-Perth one I withdrew from for being an on-call casual job in the arse-end of nowhere; the Cockburn one I'll legit go for cuz at least it's permanent part-time.
...speaking of which, if I get an interview can I come stay with you? :smalltongue:

Elm11
2012-09-30, 08:22 PM
I'd probably be interested in turning up, what with having three months off in and around December.

Klose_the_Sith
2012-09-30, 11:34 PM
Alright, I'll definitely be off school. The next question will be whether or not I'll be home by then, to which we shall still have to see. I am a maybe, though.

I'd probably be interested in turning up, what with having three months off in and around December.

Get excited Elm, we could actually totes meet up in IRL.

Lady Moreta
2012-10-01, 05:08 AM
Naaaaah, that was a different job. Forget where it was for, but not the Cockburn one. The 300k-from-Perth one I withdrew from for being an on-call casual job in the arse-end of nowhere; the Cockburn one I'll legit go for cuz at least it's permanent part-time.
...speaking of which, if I get an interview can I come stay with you? :smalltongue:

Okay, that makes much more sense. Most of WA is in the arse-end of nowhere :smalltongue:

And sure, you can stay with us :smallsmile: our spare room is also the room with all the bookcases in it, so you'll feel right at home :smalltongue:

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-01, 09:22 PM
I won't be able to show, sorry. Macquarie Con is on that weekend.

Elm11
2012-10-01, 09:43 PM
Alright, I'll definitely be off school. The next question will be whether or not I'll be home by then, to which we shall still have to see. I am a maybe, though.

Get excited Elm, we could actually totes meet up in IRL.

Now wouldn't THAT be a novelty. I'll see if I can't drag my dear brother along to it as well.

Rawhide
2012-10-01, 09:44 PM
I won't be able to show, sorry. Macquarie Con is on that weekend.

Nooooooooooooooooo. Perhaps we could swing by during part of the con to say hi? Or include you when it's over?

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-01, 10:14 PM
It goes Friday, Saturday and Sunday but ill be working on the Friday. It's at the uni and its not hard to get to as there's a train station.

Maybe Max Brenners will be open by then.

loopy
2012-10-02, 11:09 AM
I'm up for it, I live in Sydney.

Keep me posted though, I tend to randomly disappear from the Playground every so often. Ninja business, you understand.

Red Rubber Band
2012-10-02, 11:46 PM
I'd be interested in this. I'd have to fly down from Qld, and wouldn't be able to leave til the Saturday afternoon though.

This is also assuming the yearly Santa Claus Pub Crawl in Brisbane isn't on that weekend :l

Elm11
2012-10-06, 07:09 AM
Oh. This may sound stupid, but is there an age restriction on this kind've thing?

Rawhide
2012-10-06, 07:19 AM
Yeah. Under 900.

Serpentine
2012-10-06, 07:31 AM
That's ageist Rawhide! D: What if the Doctor wanted to come, huh?

Rawhide
2012-10-06, 07:34 AM
That's ageist Rawhide! D: What if the Doctor wanted to come, huh?

The Tenth Doctor is ok, but the Eleventh is prohibited.

Serpentine
2012-10-06, 08:34 AM
But... I like that Doctor :smallfrown:

loopy
2012-10-06, 10:10 AM
The Tenth Doctor is ok, but the Eleventh is prohibited.

I'm okay with this restriction.

Rawhide
2012-10-06, 11:56 PM
Oh. This may sound stupid, but is there an age restriction on this kind've thing?

In short, no. No age limit. As long as your parents are ok with it if you're under 18.

It may limit what we can do, but we'll work around it.

SilverSheriff
2012-10-07, 07:17 AM
But the 11th Doctor is cool.:smallfrown:

Agamid
2012-10-07, 11:44 PM
I probably can't make it... new job meant to be starting around then, and until then I have almost no money to do things (and i just used up literally ALL of my velocity points to pay for the flights to go see my dad).

Also, if I were to end up in sydney I'd be highly tempted to another brand from Industrial Strength in Newtown... which would not be the best idea considering the lack of money, the starting of a new job and the fact they take more than 6 months to heal... (and i'm totally rambling because I've had about 2 hours sleep! Yay!)

But those things said, you never know. Will see how things pan out. I sometimes have work down in Canberra for a week or so, and often come through sydney, so yeah, you never know.

You guys have fun with or without me though.

loopy
2012-10-08, 01:30 PM
Also, if I were to end up in sydney I'd be highly tempted to another brand from Industrial Strength in Newtown... which would not be the best idea considering the lack of money, the starting of a new job and the fact they take more than 6 months to heal... (and i'm totally rambling because I've had about 2 hours sleep! Yay!)

I live on King St, in Newtown.

Elm11
2012-10-11, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the info on the age limit. Shouldn't be a massive problem, except, as you say, for limiting activities. We can probably look into that at a later date.

Serpentine
2012-11-04, 03:17 AM
Certain Developments make it more likely I'll be able to come: I may have some work (not a job, mind, but some work) a few hours north of Sydney around then.

SilverSheriff
2012-11-06, 02:31 AM
Awwwww.... I might not be able to come (which is made especially worse if it seems that Serps is going to show). :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2012-11-06, 02:46 AM
Aw. Thanks Pants ^_^

While we're at it, I suppose I may as well ask this here: anyone up Queensland way going to have, or know someone who's going to have, a spare room next year in or around Brisbane? I don't smoke, happy to drink or to not drink, can supply a fair bit of furniture and cooking stuff and the like, can cook, and am willing to pay up to about $150/week (preferably less, *maybe* more if Brisbane's really expensive). The catches: I have a cat (older, inside at night, scared of a bird), and to start with I'll probably just be on Centrelink.

edit: oh. I thought this was the Australasia thread... Whoops. I'll go put this over there too.

Rawhide
2012-11-06, 09:55 AM
Awwwww.... I might not be able to come (which is made especially worse if it seems that Serps is going to show). :smallfrown:

Nooooo. I am disappoint.

Rawhide
2012-11-09, 08:52 PM
So, it's time to really get serious and make some concrete (and flexible) plans.

As I said in the Australasia thread, it is likely that we will have 1 to 2 official days designated as the meetup days (but people are welcome to extend that) and the day or days are likely to be the weekend, Sat 8/Sun 9, Dec. If no one volunteers a bed for the night, I may be there only for the 1 day.

Also from the other thread, I would like very much to confirm a primary day where everybody tries to be there, even for a little bit, with the extra days for those wanting to make the most of the trip. So, please also express which of the two days is best for you, and if you can or can't make the other day.

Then we need to start planning where we're going to meet, where we're going to be, and what we're going to do.

I've also compiled a list of who's going, which I will keep updated in the first post. Primary day in square brackets.

Pretty much definite:
Rawhide [either or both days, depending on bed availability]
Serpentine (if she knows what's good for her)
loopy
Roc Ness

Maybe:
Black Pants Guy
Elm11
Red Rubber Band [Sunday only and maybe Saturday evening]
Katana_Geldar (has a gaming event to attend, but I'd very much like to include everyone if possible - perhaps we can visit for an hour or so?)
Klose_the_Sith

Unlikely:
Agamid
Dispozition

Agamid
2012-11-09, 11:25 PM
Yeah, now that the time draws closer, i would say almost definitely that I'm not going to be able to make it... I have too many things that may be about to need a lot of my time, and I have very little money for travel.

Will have to see you all next time.

Serpentine
2012-11-10, 02:27 AM
:eek:
Apparently I don't have much choice... But yeah, I reckon I'll be there. Not sure shere I'll be staying... Don't wanna look around for a cheap room to split, do you, Rawhide?

Rawhide
2012-11-10, 09:05 AM
:eek:
Apparently I don't have much choice... But yeah, I reckon I'll be there. Not sure shere I'll be staying... Don't wanna look around for a cheap room to split, do you, Rawhide?

You're still trying to get me alone in a room? First it was a cabin in the woods and now a cheap hotel?

Serpentine
2012-11-10, 07:29 PM
I was hoping others would "share" the "cabin in the woods" with us...

(P.S. I'm really annoyed I missed that movie in the cinema :smallfrown:)

Rawhide
2012-11-10, 10:34 PM
I was hoping others would "share" the "cabin in the woods" with us...

Sorry, not into that kind of thing.

---

But yeah, unless it's incredibly cheap, I might pass. Sydney is already a very long way away from where I am and I'd like to keep costs down.

Elm11
2012-11-29, 10:54 PM
Alright, if this meetup is expected to happen, there needs to be some very serious planning done very quickly. At the moment the complete extent of our planning seems to be 'Sydney, 8th-9th (probably), in a place, where we'll do something'. That being a less than thorough plan, it might be a good idea to propose/consider:

When on the 8th and 9th?

Where in Sydney?

What accomodation?

What will we do?

Not being a Sydneysider or familiar with meetups, I really can't suggest much for the first two of those.

As far as accomodation goes, unless there're places available I'd probably look at a youth Hostel for myself, and arrange public transport (however-much exists) to and from the venue.

As far as activities go, I'd presume we'd look at board/videogames of various sorts, possibly a lunch or something. I don't know. Those of you over 18 may also care to arrange a pub night or something, but that's not my department.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: If any of the Sydneysiders are uni students, a possible venue may be a room at that uni, if it can be booked over the weekend. If nobody else has any suggestions, could that be looked into?

Rawhide
2012-11-30, 08:24 AM
I was just about to come in here and yell at everyone. It would seem that we Australians couldn't organise ourselves out of a paper bag...

I have no knowledge of Sydney, including where to meet or what to do, so I'm relying heavily on someone to suggest something! Yes, that means you, person reading this!

Also, everyone needs to confirm their availability ASAP.

Serpentine
2012-11-30, 10:24 AM
Rawhide, is there any chance you might be passing through Brissy on your way to or from? And anyone up Qld way intending to go, how are you getting there and back?

Mauve Shirt
2012-11-30, 01:01 PM
Dang. First trip to the southern hemisphere, over the weekend of the Australian meetup and I'm on the wrong island.

Rawhide
2012-11-30, 01:35 PM
Rawhide, is there any chance you might be passing through Brissy on your way to or from? And anyone up Qld way intending to go, how are you getting there and back?

No, sorry. And I'll be flying most of the way.

Dang. First trip to the southern hemisphere, over the weekend of the Australian meetup and I'm on the wrong island.

!

Where are you going and why?

Mauve Shirt
2012-11-30, 01:45 PM
Auckland, because hobbits. I knooooow, it's a grievous offense to suggest I'm even CLOSE to Australia when I'm in NZ. That's like saying the States is the same as Canada (which it is.) But you know, when you're from the opposite side of the world, and you visit Canada, and you learn that there's a great party going on in Pittsburgh, you still want to randomly show up there.

Rawhide
2012-11-30, 05:19 PM
Auckland, because hobbits. I knooooow, it's a grievous offense to suggest I'm even CLOSE to Australia when I'm in NZ. That's like saying the States is the same as Canada (which it is.) But you know, when you're from the opposite side of the world, and you visit Canada, and you learn that there's a great party going on in Pittsburgh, you still want to randomly show up there.

So... why don't you? Do both, it's only a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Serpentine
2012-12-02, 10:45 AM
I'm so, so sorry, Rawhide. I've come to the conclusion that I really need to save up my moneys for the bond, getting all my stuff up to me, buying some sort of transport, and paying my dad back for getting me back into the country. I'm really sorry :smallfrown:

Rawhide
2012-12-02, 04:59 PM
I'm so, so sorry, Rawhide. I've come to the conclusion that I really need to save up my moneys for the bond, getting all my stuff up to me, buying some sort of transport, and paying my dad back for getting me back into the country. I'm really sorry :smallfrown:

That's very unfortunate. I guess I'll have to move you to the "Unlikely" pile.

Oh well, still want to make the most of this! C'mon everyone! We're counting on you to confirm your attendance!

If no one else suggests anything, I think we should meet at Central (Sydney) station and go from there. Everyone should have a day pass for public transport so we can go wherever we want.

Elm11
2012-12-02, 09:08 PM
Sounds intelligent enough for me. If I were looking at driving into central Sydney (a cheaper, if more suicidal alternative to flying in), would there be anywhere even vaguely practical to leave the car? If not, flying may indeed be the best option.

Next question: Should we each try and arrange our own accommodation? I'm not seeing anyone jumping with suggestions, so I suppose I'll snoop around for a youth hostel somewhere nearby.

Rawhide
2012-12-03, 08:25 AM
Does anyone have a direct line to loopy? He said he would need a reminder.

Also, re accommodation, that sounds like a good idea.

loopy
2012-12-03, 08:52 AM
I should be able to make Saturday, though I've no idea what we'll do. I'm broke at the moment, so I won't be able to do anything too expensive. :smallsmile:

Red Rubber Band
2012-12-03, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Rawhide!
I haven't been to the forums in a while. And kept forgetting to check this thread when I was here.

So, good news and bad news from me.

Good news: I will be in Sydney this weekend!
Bad news: For reasons other than the meetup.
(Partially) Good news: I might be able to swing a couple of hours sometime during Saturday afternoon. *fingers crossed*
(Possibly) Bad news: Depending on the time I can spare, I'll be stuck around the Circular Quay area (that being said, public transport).

I will PM my number to Rawhide, if that's ok with him. So will be able to communicate once I'm in Sydney. Also currently have sporadic access to the net :l

Katana_Geldar
2012-12-04, 05:40 AM
You guys could go to Macquarie Con. :smallwink:

SilverSheriff
2012-12-04, 09:01 AM
Confirming my non-attendance. No money to spare.

Elm11
2012-12-06, 09:06 AM
Alright, given the lack of availability/interest, combined with the lack of any solid plan whatsoever, Zoot and I will be pulling out. If we want to reorganize it for next weekend, pm me or something. Otherwise, all the best.

Rawhide
2012-12-06, 09:34 AM
Alright, given the lack of availability/interest, combined with the lack of any solid plan whatsoever, Zoot and I will be pulling out. If we want to reorganize it for next weekend, pm me or something. Otherwise, all the best.

Unfortunate, though there is a plan. Meet at Central (Sydney) Station. :smalltongue:

I will be there that weekend, I won't the next. So for me, it is that weekend or bust. Given that both loopy and Red Rubber Band indicated Saturday, I suggest we all go for that as the primary day. I won't be available in the evening though, as I'll need to get back pretty early.

What time is everyong going to rock up?

You guys could go to Macquarie Con. :smallwink:

Well, given that the website advertises it as nothing more than a few tables you can hire to run a game, I figure that we might want to do a little more than that.

That said, the intention was to swing by to meet you, when will you be free?

Rawhide
2012-12-07, 12:55 AM
*pokes everyone who has confirmed availability recently*

Looks like Saturday afternoon is the best time, with both loopy and Red Rubber Band confirming potential availability. How about we make it that and try to find a way to include KG at or near the con?

Red Rubber Band
2012-12-07, 02:06 AM
Well, my hotel is near (enough) to Central. So it's not the place that's a problem.
This'll be the last time I will reliably have access to a computer, unfortunately.
I will send my number to Rawhide now, so any of you that meet up are more than welcome to give me a holler if you wish. Else I will endeavor to find my password for this site (auto login... a blessing and a curse) and/or for the email address attached to it (I just have to make it all complicated).

Roc Ness
2012-12-07, 03:04 AM
Sorry I haven't been around, school's been a bit busy recently. :smallsigh:

I can make the main day on Sat. I can do any time of the day except really early, and I can't hang around during the evening (so afternoon seems good).

I live around the western suburbs but I don't tend to do much in the city so I don't really know about events or activities though. =/ Most I've ever really done is visit the art galleries, or maybe watch a movie or something. Usually I just sit around and draw buildings, or hang around with friends while doing absolutely nothing (which makes me wonder why we have to go to the city to do that).

If we want to visit/hang out at Macquarie Con, there's a direct train to Macquarie station from Central every half-hour, the trip itself would take around 40 minutes factoring in walking distance/finding the exact location of the Con. If we're there we could also pop down to Macquarie Centre (short walk) to watch a movie or something? There's also an ice-skating rink in the centre although I don't really know much about Macquaire myself.

But yeah, once an exact time is set I'll see you guys at Central! :smallbiggrin:

P.S. Also I may be doing maths/english homework if we're ever sitting down and nothing is happening. And if I'm not doing that work, someone should probably prod me into doing it. :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2012-12-07, 03:10 AM
Sorry I haven't been around, school's been a bit busy recently. :smallsigh:

I can make the main day on Sat. I can do any time of the day except really early, and I can't hang around during the evening (so afternoon seems good).

I live around the western suburbs but I don't tend to do much in the city so I don't really know about events or activities though. =/ Most I've ever really done is visit the art galleries, or maybe watch a movie or something. Usually I just sit around and draw buildings, or hang around with friends while doing absolutely nothing (which makes me wonder why we have to go to the city to do that).

If we want to visit/hang out at Macquarie Con, there's a direct train to Macquarie station from Central every half-hour, the trip itself would take around 40 minutes factoring in walking distance/finding the exact location of the Con. If we're there we could also pop down to Macquarie Centre (short walk) to watch a movie or something? There's also an ice-skating rink in the centre although I don't really know much about Macquaire myself.

But yeah, once an exact time is set I'll see you guys at Central! :smallbiggrin:

P.S. Also I may be doing maths/english homework if we're ever sitting down and nothing is happening. And if I'm not doing that work, someone should probably prod me into doing it. :smalltongue:

How early can you get there (and want to)? I'm happy to start earlier than the afternoon with just the early comer(s).

Roc Ness
2012-12-07, 04:03 AM
How early can you get there (and want to)? I'm happy to start earlier than the afternoon with just the early comer(s).

I can get there whenever, although I'd like to get there a little later seeing as I've had all of three hours sleep the past two days. XD

I'm should be good for 10-11-ish, although I'm not sure how many early comers we are and what we could do.

Rawhide
2012-12-07, 04:45 AM
I can get there whenever, although I'd like to get there a little later seeing as I've had all of three hours sleep the past two days. XD

I'm should be good for 10-11-ish, although I'm not sure how many early comers we are and what we could do.

Sounds good, though I'll have to check the trains to see when I'll actually arrive.

It'll probably be just us at first, I'm guessing. As to what to do? I dunno, catch a bite to eat?

Katana_Geldar
2012-12-07, 05:18 AM
Macquarie Con is at Macquarie University, very near Macquare Centre and Macquarie University station. I've PMed Rawhide my number in case you get lost.

There is a trivia night that night, and Ash, the guy who runs it, makes it very tricky. His hobby is going to trivia nights. At Sydcon he really screwed us with the Roman goddess of magic. (But I got the who ami? on the second clue, it was Walt Disney).

Rawhide
2012-12-07, 06:36 AM
Will probably be arriving at ~10:30am, unless I can't make that train.

Rawhide
2012-12-07, 04:05 PM
Anyone who hasn't already done so should PM me their meetup details.

e.g.
Time of arrival
Where you would like to meet
How to recognise you
Phone number

I'll be there from 10:30

Rawhide
2012-12-07, 07:10 PM
And the meetup has begun in earnest.

Katana_Geldar
2012-12-08, 08:06 AM
Well, I saw Rawhide and Roc Ness...but it was just heftier u was heading into a game. Wish it could have been longer, maybe next time.

Mercenary Pen
2012-12-10, 04:20 AM
Is it wrong of me to say the rest of the world wants a report on your meetup?

Katana_Geldar
2012-12-10, 05:20 AM
Well, Rawhide and I met up yesterday and went to the pub with some other gamers.

Rawhide
2012-12-10, 05:54 AM
Well, the 'meetup' went as I initially thought/planned, a few people from the area and myself getting together to chat and say hi. It was all Serpentine's fault. She made me call it a meetup, got me to call it as such and invite people from far and wide, then ditched at the last moment. Booooooo! ;)

As a meetup, it failed, but as I had initially planned it, it was a success. Four of us in all, we had gelato, we had Max Brenner, we went to the pub, we chatted, we met each other, it went quite well. No pictures were taken though, so there's none of them to upload (unless Roc Ness wants to upload a picture of the crow which had stollen a cupcake).

Dispozition
2012-12-10, 06:03 AM
Sounds like the Melbourne 'meetup' :P
Come back, to Melbourne rawhide, I miss your sexy face ;)

Also everyone else come to Melbourne, we're cooler than Sydney :P

Mercenary Pen
2012-12-10, 07:00 AM
Well, the 'meetup' went as I initially thought/planned, a few people from the area and myself getting together to chat and say hi. It was all Serpentine's fault. She made me call it a meetup, got me to call it as such and invite people from far and wide, then ditched at the last moment. Booooooo! ;)

As a meetup, it failed, but as I had initially planned it, it was a success. Four of us in all, we had gelato, we had Max Brenner, we went to the pub, we chatted, we met each other, it went quite well. No pictures were taken though, so there's none of them to upload (unless Roc Ness wants to upload a picture of the crow which had stollen a cupcake).

My suggestion: Insist that Serpy organises the next Down Under Meetup- she's seen the British ones so she knows how its supposed to work... Particularly this may address the apparent lack of gaming...

Serpentine
2012-12-10, 07:07 AM
Nuuuuuu :C

Sorry Rawhide. And I didn't particularly mean it had to be a meet up meet-up, just that it'd be helpful to make the name different.

Elm11
2012-12-10, 07:08 AM

This is largely why I pulled out. As an underaged person, I realised that we weren't really going to do anything more organized than 'go to the pub', and that by rocking up I'd limit that down to 'go to... a cafe?'. Not exactly the desired scene. If anyone feels like holding anything more organised, give me a holler.

Rawhide
2012-12-10, 01:50 PM
This is largely why I pulled out. As an underaged person, I realised that we weren't really going to do anything more organized than 'go to the pub', and that by rocking up I'd limit that down to 'go to... a cafe?'. Not exactly the desired scene. If anyone feels like holding anything more organised, give me a holler.

Technically, on the first day we did go to a cafe. Everything on the first day was applicable to minors. Also we sat at the meal area of the pub and had a meal on the second day. That was largely unplanned and I basically just popped by because KG had effectively only been included for a few minutes otherwise. However, I do believe you would have been allowed in to have a meal, particularly with the number of irresponsible adults there.

Rawhide
2012-12-13, 01:17 AM
My suggestion: Insist that Serpy organises the next Down Under Meetup- she's seen the British ones so she knows how its supposed to work... Particularly this may address the apparent lack of gaming...

Missed this the first time. I was relying on Serpy to help organise it. See earlier post about ditching us. :smalltongue:

I don't think it will work unless we have Mother Moreta to do all of the organising for us. :smallwink:

Katana_Geldar
2012-12-13, 02:10 AM
Had it been any other weekend I would have helped.

Red Rubber Band
2012-12-16, 10:45 PM
I still can't get the image of the chocolate pizza out of my head...

Rawhide
2012-12-17, 12:34 AM
I still can't get the image of the chocolate pizza out of my head...

And it was delicious.

Lady Moreta
2012-12-22, 03:37 AM
I was just about to come in here and yell at everyone. It would seem that we Australians couldn't organise ourselves out of a paper bag...

Yes... because the last Australian meetup was organised solely by me... the Kiwi :smalltongue:

I don't think it will work unless we have Mother Moreta to do all of the organising for us. :smallwink:

See above comment. And I learned my lesson from last time. Delegate. I just about drove myself bonkers trying to do it all myself (though the guy at the backpackers thought it was hilarious, watching me try to herd everyone out the door to go get dinner).