PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How good is Sirocco?

RndmNumGen
2012-09-25, 01:22 AM
I was in the process of making a Foresight Diviner wizard when, as I was reading through Q's wizard guide, I noticed something neat about the Wood Elementalist - they get Sirocco (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sirocco)as a 4th-level spell instead of a 6th level one. I'm now considering making a Wood Elementalist instead of a Diviner, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I will be playing the wizard from 3-12 in PFS, getting Sirocco at level 7. That's 4 levels without it, and the rest of the Wood school is amazingly lackluster. I'm also iffy about building what is essentially a one-trick pony wizard, even if the trick is awesome(damage + CC + debuff all rolled into one?)

So, is early access to Sirocco worth losing all of the wonderful goodies I would otherwise get from specializing in Divination or Conjuration?

avr
2012-09-25, 01:59 AM
IMO no. Sirocco only fatigues when it does damage, and it does a fairly lackluster amount of fire damage. It's good but not worth becoming a wood elementalist for that reason alone.

RndmNumGen
2012-09-25, 02:24 AM
IMO no. Sirocco only fatigues when it does damage, and it does a fairly lackluster amount of fire damage. It's good but not worth becoming a wood elementalist for that reason alone.

Well, it should always damage unless enemies have Evasion, so it should always fatigue(and then exhaust). I suppose you would be screwed with anything that has fire resistance though... or fatigue immunity(Hello Undead!)

Corlindale
2012-09-25, 04:56 AM
While Sirocco is a nice spell, I don't think it compares to the wonders of the divination or conjuration schools, especially not considering the other drawbacks of being a wood wizard (like the otherwise lackluster spell list). Foresight Diviners are particularly awesome, best school in the game IMO.

Novawurmson
2012-09-25, 11:27 AM
Sirocco is a brutal spell. Try finding some scrolls of it :P

CTrees
2012-09-25, 02:49 PM
Also it's a Fort save, limiting the ways to avoid the damage and fatigue. You 'll have a hard time hitting exhaustion against smart opponents without blowing two castings.

I like it, but it's not fantastic. Still, as a fourth level spell, there'd be a lot to like (just not enough to justify it as your primary trick, imo).

Novawurmson
2012-09-25, 02:59 PM
Also it's a Fort save, limiting the ways to avoid the damage and fatigue. You 'll have a hard time hitting exhaustion against smart opponents without blowing two castings.

I like it, but it's not fantastic. Still, as a fourth level spell, there'd be a lot to like (just not enough to justify it as your primary trick, imo).

The big benefit is the auto-fatigue; against a charger (especially a Barbarian who is not yet immune to fatigue), that's brutal.

SamBurke
2012-09-25, 03:03 PM
Pretty good, though I'd buff it if possible. It's worthy of a scroll or two, as that fatigue is destroyingly good, especially if you can hit a wide enough area to keep them in it for two rounds.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-09-25, 11:56 PM
It's only good if you can ensure the foes are traped within it for 2 rounds so they're slapped with fatigue and exhaustion. It's not worth it just for the fatigue and the damage is mediocre and fire-based (so you can change it to acid/cold/electric, but costs a +1 metamagic feat or a rod).

I don't think it is single-handedly so good as to justify not being a Teleportation (Conjuror) or Foresight (Diviner). If Wood has other good things, maybe. Sirocco 4 character levels early alone, no.