PDA

View Full Version : Some questions: infinity spells, mitigation, components, and undercover wizards

maedaconjecture
2012-09-25, 02:42 AM
Most of this will not see any actual play, so strict RAW is assumed. Things that rely on NI loops (example: dusk giants eating things), actually infinity loops (example: omniscifier skill boosting), and manipulate form (example: Pun Pun) are barred.

I recall hearing that the Factotum, played by RAW, could potentially cast infinity spells per day using some tricky combos with his/her SLA's. And any spell up to level 9. The same with wizards. What is this trick?

Another question. Barring chain-gating Solars, what are the best RAW methods of mitigating epic spells without increasing casting time and cost?

Now that a pre-epic wizard has infinity spells a day, what can s/he do to get rid of every single casting component in every spell?

Finally, a problem-solving issue, my straight wizard 20 needs to pretend to be a fighter 20 (with any weapons specialty), and needs to fool a wizard 9 and a court full of mundanes, rogues, bards, and aristocrats under level 5. I need to totally fool them all, while remaining ostensibly in my current form. The wizard 9 will actively be trying to determine if I'm not actually a fighter. How? (I'm not allowed to harm or control the wizard 9 in any way.)

edit

Dang, dat quad PENTA post. How did that happen? Sorry mods.

Garwain
2012-09-25, 04:01 AM
Shapechange into a fighter? The lvl 9 wizard doesn't know true seeing yet.

TuggyNE
2012-09-25, 04:05 AM
And any spell up to level 9. The same with wizards. What is this trick?

Well, I know of one that involves heavy metamagic mitigation plus greater arcane fusion to cast ... greater arcane fusion plus another spell. (It is, of course, an NI loop, but it's triggered when you use it, not during character background.) There's probably a similar trick with mage's lucubration and Versatile Spellcaster, although some shenanigans may be needed to qualify for that feat.

Finally, a problem-solving issue, my straight wizard 20 needs to pretend to be a fighter 20 (with any weapons specialty), and needs to fool a wizard 9 and a court full of mundanes, rogues, bards, and aristocrats under level 5. I need to totally fool them all, while remaining ostensibly in my current form. The wizard 9 will actively be trying to determine if I'm not actually a fighter. How? (I'm not allowed to harm or control the wizard 9 in any way.)

Well, start with heroics for Fighter feats of course. Finding something to fool (greater) arcane sight's auto-spellcaster-detect is a bit trickier though.... Depending on interpretation of Extra Spell, try to pick up divine power.

Alternatively, cheat: find an actual Fighter 20 and get them to agree to stand in for you; magically disguise them in some fashion if you need to (true seeing and greater dispel magic haven't come online yet for our friend the Wiz 9, without scrolls at least, so that should be fairly safe) and you're good to go. (Scry on the Fighter or another friend to ensure you know what went on, of course.)

Hopefully that's enough to get you started and some others will have more suggestions.

zlefin
2012-09-25, 04:13 AM
well, ther'es always the simplest cheat of all:
disintegrate
gust of wind.
"i'm a level 20 fighter, anyone question that?"
if anyone does, go to disintegrate.

or mass charm monster or something.

i guess this all relates to the core question: you're a level 20 wizard, why do you need to bother fooling anyone?

maedaconjecture
2012-09-25, 04:38 AM

These people have seen me before, so I must look the same. I don't think I can shapechange into myself with 20 fighter levels?

find an actual Fighter 20

Unfortunately, I'm a planar visitor and the natives don't know this, this world is very low-leveled, and I can't leave this plane without my employers (epic wizards from Sigil and Union) going nuts.

you're a level 20 wizard, why do you need to bother fooling anyone?

Because the locals are my friends, and I'd prefer them to live. I've convinced them earlier that I'm a fighter, and I can't blow my cover. Also, I don't feel like playing rocket tag with my superiors, who (see above) are well into the epic levels.

All of my companions are separated (pretending to be local aristocrats).

Yora
2012-09-25, 05:15 AM
Dang, dat quad PENTA post. How did that happen? Sorry mods.
You probably got an error message, returned to the previous page, clicked "Submit Reply" again, and got another error message.
This forum screws up adding posts and showing pages all the time, happens to everyone.

dextercorvia
2012-09-25, 10:20 AM
Now that a pre-epic wizard has infinity spells a day, what can s/he do to get rid of every single casting component in every spell?

I can't actually do this with infinite spells, because you barred me from infinite combos. However, with sufficient resources we can do it for a large number of spells per day.

Take leadership and 4 levels of Dweomerkeeper, get a bunch of Squires of Legend to follow you around, each granting you another daily use of Supernatural Spell. (I'm sure with unlimited castings of free wishes per day, you can think of ways to keep your followers happy and devoted.)

There is a trick where you get a Psicrystal and boost its effective HD so that it can take Leadership for someone with a boosted Psicrystal with Leadership.... Of course, that is an NI trick, but if you are actually interested in having all components eliminated pre-epic, that is one way to go about it.

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-25, 10:47 AM

Shapechange has no effect on class levels. It merely allows you to change to a different creature type. And even that does not allow you to copy a specific, unique creature. So you could look like a human or elf, but not a specific human or elf, nor a human or elf of any specific class.

Ammutseba
2012-09-25, 11:30 AM
Which sources are available to you?

One of the most important things about emulating fighter 20 is the ability to perform 4 attacks as a part of a full attack. If you have access to Tome of Battle, that can be done fairly easily.

It's a cheap trick that might fall under your ban-umbrella, but can you use DCFS to temporarily switch your existing feats out for ones that are better suited to an actual fighter?

Edit: Are you a good character? If you are, are you good enough that you could convince a celestial fighter to channel through you so that you can take advantage of their abilities?

If you're not good enough for celestial channeling, can you instead get in contact with a glimmerskin (the outsider, not the halfling), persuade it to bond with you whenever you need to do fighter-y things and then take a feat that allows you to spend hit points each round so that you don't have to worry about its energy touch asploding you?

If you're not attractive enough to a glimmerskin and not good enough for a celestial, can you consider making a pact with a fiend of some kind to provide similar benefits to you via possession?

If you can do any of the above, just make sure you put nondetection on your incorporeal helper first, and then you should be alright.

If you cannot do any of the above, do you have any ranks in Bluff? If you do, would your DM will allow you to craft a convincing set of fake wands which would allow you to "cast" spells, which you would use with your "Use Magic Device" skill (i.e., your Bluff skill). This ruse could be helped along by a couple of actual wands that cast nonwizard spells.

After that... yeah, I really need to know what sources are open to you to be of any further use. Sorry.