PDA

View Full Version : Fun challenge: Shrink Item abuse

hotjer
2012-09-25, 09:07 AM
I tried to encourage people on another forum to use shrink item in creative ways, however. I presented it a little too vague.

Spell info on Shrink Item
Shrink Item
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object of up to 2 cu. ft./level
Duration: One day/level; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

You are able to shrink one nonmagical item (if it is within the size limit) to 1/16 of its normal size in each dimension (to about 1/4,000 the original volume and mass). This change effectively reduces the object’s size by four categories. Optionally, you can also change its now shrunken composition to a clothlike one. Objects changed by a shrink item spell can be returned to normal composition and size merely by tossing them onto any solid surface or by a word of command from the original caster. Even a burning fire and its fuel can be shrunk by this spell. Restoring the shrunken object to its normal size and composition ends the spell.

Shrink item can be made permanent with a permanency spell, in which case the affected object can be shrunk and expanded an indefinite number of times, but only by the original caster.

I had this thought when I recalled a scene from Bleach long. There is this one guy, Gin Ichimaru, whom's sword, Zanpakutõ, can extend and retract itself at the 500 times the speed of sound.

So that is ****ing nuts, but I guess we could do a similar trick in d&d with Shrink Item. With the spell we can make an item 1/16 of its size. One idea I got was to weld together 16 bolts or arrows, fire it, and then let et extend to original size. That would cause 16d6 damage with 16 bolt weld together. You get the intuition.... (it might not work because of some rules, but I am not aware of them).

The challenge: How to abuse Shrink Item spell in fun and creative ways while complying with the rules?

An example I saw was to have a hogshead of whiskey (63 gallons I think it was) and drop it down a purple worm's throat since the creature is known for its "swallow hole" ability. The creature might get a little tipsy :)

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-25, 09:20 AM
My favorite has always been taking a cone large enough to stand under and shrinking it then wearing it as a hat. If you end up in an anti-magic field, it ends up restored to normal size as the spell is suppressed and you find yourself standing under it, with no line of effect to the AMF. So now you can teleport yourself somewhere outside the AMF.

I've seen this one posted a half-dozen places around the internet, so don't know who to give credit for the original idea.

trollburgers
2012-09-25, 10:05 AM
My favorite has always been taking a cone large enough to stand under and shrinking it then wearing it as a hat. If you end up in an anti-magic field, it ends up restored to normal size as the spell is suppressed and you find yourself standing under it, with no line of effect to the AMF. So now you can teleport yourself somewhere outside the AMF.

I've seen this one posted a half-dozen places around the internet, so don't know who to give credit for the original idea.

Just. Awesome. My first time seeing this idea. It makes the conical hats worn by traditional wizards make so much sense!

Gandariel
2012-09-25, 10:29 AM
Well, an infinite engine is easy to do.
Think a 4-cylinders car engine, but instead of exploding oil the push is given by a grain of sand suddenly gaining weight, then being reverted.
Pretty easy.

But then again, everything in d&d can be made into an engine :P

Shrinked rock can be used for a quick Jump check: stand on it, then activate!

Shrink Item opens up a new order of magnitude for Hulking Hurler damage!

the possibility of shrinking a fire is HILARIOUS.
i'll have my players find the fabled Orb of Fire :P
(an orb with a Shrinked barrel of burning oil)

Oh, also:
i'm not sure how the line goes in English, but..
you call that a knife? THIS IS A KNIFE!

More to come

Sponson
2012-09-25, 10:36 AM

I can't seem to find the part in Antimagic Field's description where the area is blocked by Line of Effect. How would this work? Hiding behind a tower shield does not in fact make you immune to AMF, so why would a cone?

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-25, 10:43 AM
Objects changed by a shrink item spell can be returned to normal composition and size merely by tossing them onto any solid surface or by a word of command from the original caster.

Activating a command word magic item is a standard action. Even if you allow the player to 'drop' the item onto a solid surface rather than tossing in order to achieve a free action, I don't see how either method of restoring to its full size can be done repeatedly. Not to mention that the method of restoring it to shrunken size if it is treated with permanency would, by default, be another standard action.

What is more, there is no description of the actual mechanic of growing or shrinking providing any propulsive force whatsoever. So standing on it when it enlarges will not necessarily give you any movement. You will just find yourself standing atop or next to a larger object.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-25, 10:43 AM
So that is ****ing nuts, but I guess we could do a similar trick in d&d with Shrink Item. With the spell we can make an item 1/16 of its size. One idea I got was to weld together 16 bolts or arrows, fire it, and then let et extend to original size. That would cause 16d6 damage with 16 bolt weld together. You get the intuition.... (it might not work because of some rules, but I am not aware of them).

This thread is relevant (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19565390/3d4_damage!_Ill_buy_that_for_a_feat!). It's the same idea. Not RAW, but totally awesome.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-25, 10:53 AM
I can't seem to find the part in Antimagic Field's description where the area is blocked by Line of Effect. How would this work? Hiding behind a tower shield does not in fact make you immune to AMF, so why would a cone?

Take a look at PHB pg 175. You'll find the descriptions for both burst and emenation type AoE's. Pg 176 has the rules for determining LoE. Unless the spell says different, all bursts and emenations require LoE to their intended target to have an effect.

In-fact, the tower shield actually will protect you from bursts aimed at you, if it's used to give yourself total cover.

trollburgers
2012-09-25, 11:01 AM
Take a look at PHB pg 175. You'll find the descriptions for both burst and emenation type AoE's. Pg 176 has the rules for determining LoE. Unless the spell says different, all bursts and emenations require LoE to their intended target to have an effect.

In-fact, the tower shield actually will protect you from bursts aimed at you, if it's used to give yourself total cover.

This. Relevant SRD snippet:

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast. A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creatures, or objects to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst’s center point, a cone-shaped burst’s starting point, a cylinder’s circle, or an emanation’s point of origin).

Sponson
2012-09-25, 11:23 AM

I stand corrected, wow that's... awesome.

olentu
2012-09-25, 11:28 AM
Ah, the good old pants made of lava are always fun times.

Toliudar
2012-09-25, 11:47 AM
I have a character who's carrying around a loaded ballista, an adamantine vault door (good for blocking off tunnels) and a life-sized statue of himself.

For me, the great joy of Shrink Item is not in the regrowing suddenly in combat, but the ability to shrink things to make them portable/no longer a nuisance. I've had characters do that with a bottle of poisoned wine, a door whose lock we couldn't pick, and an incriminating letter. Given the relative scarcity of spells that teleport other things away without accompanying them yourself, Shrink Item can be a real blessing in this regard.

I have no idea why 16 arrows attached together would do MORE damage than a single arrow. By that same thinking, if I store a hundred sling stones in a bag and hit you with the bag, I deal 100d4 damage. Goofiness.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-25, 12:06 PM
If you have Abrupt Jaunt, you can take the shrunken hat one step further:
1. Make your pre-shrunk hat big enough to cover you and all squares adjacent to you. It should be a dome-shape, rather than a cone.
2. Shrink down several cubic yards of magma into cloth patches, all with the same word to return them to normal. Attach them to the undeside of the hat.
3. With one or more opponents adjacent to/grappling you, say the command word to unshrink the hat (free action), abrupt jaunt out from under it (swift action) and speak the command word to unshrink the magma patches (free action). Your opponents are now trapped beneath a metal dome weighing several tons, which is completely flooded with magma, taking 20d6 damage per round and possibly drowning.

Stegyre
2012-09-25, 12:34 PM
3. With one or more opponents adjacent to/grappling you, say the command word to unshrink the hat (free action), abrupt jaunt out from under it (swift action) and speak the command word to unshrink the magma patches (free action). Your opponents are now trapped beneath a metal dome weighing several tons, which is completely flooded with magma, taking 20d6 damage per round and possibly drowning.
Using command words appears to be a standard action, not a free action:

Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#commandWord)

hotjer
2012-09-25, 12:41 PM
1. Make your pre-shrunk hat big enough to cover you and all squares adjacent to you. It should be a dome-shape, rather than a cone.
2. Shrink down several cubic yards of magma into cloth patches, all with the same word to return them to normal. Attach them to the undeside of the hat.

I like the idea but....
How do you come close enough and transport magma?

Sponson
2012-09-25, 12:43 PM

Wait a second.

A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners. You select the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure the area the spell effect fills by taking into account any turns the spell effect takes.

The hell is a spread.

hotjer
2012-09-25, 12:45 PM
double post

olentu
2012-09-25, 12:48 PM
Wait a second.

The hell is a spread.

Fireball or the like.

trollburgers
2012-09-25, 12:55 PM
Wait a second.

The hell is a spread.

A stinking cloud is an example of a spread. You hide behind your tower shield, and it'll just float around it to fill your square. Look in the spell description and you see which spells are spreads and the like.

Effect: Cloud spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high

Piggy Knowles
2012-09-25, 01:57 PM
Wait a second.

The hell is a spread.

Look under a spell's description under "Area." This will tell you if it's a burst, emanation, spread, etc. For example, here's fireball's description taken from the SRD:

Fireball
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

If it's described as a spread in the area, it follows those rules that you quoted.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-25, 02:07 PM
Using command words appears to be a standard action, not a free action:

Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#commandWord)

It's not a command word magic item, Shrink Item has a built-in function that keys a given shrunk item to return to its normal size upon the utterance of a particular word, with no effort required other than speaking that single word. Speaking is a free action.

I like the idea but....
How do you come close enough and transport magma?

Protection from Energy and Fly, cast Shrink Item to turn it into a harmless patch of cloth, transport it in that form. Shrink Item lasts a day per caster level, and you can recast it on an already-shrunk item to override the previous casting and reset the duration.

Typewriter
2012-09-25, 02:18 PM
A couple come to mind but I have a horrible memory so they may be slightly off.

The first was to combine it with the spell that I think was called "Launch Item" - basically it allows you to fire a small item up to 250 feet. Make it so that when that small item hits it becomes a much larger and you have an interesting reaction.

The other was to put it in your opponent - especially if you're fighting a living suit of armor or something especially hollow. Try to fit a tiny rock in the thing then say the word and now you have a boulder wearing a set of armor.

And even beyond those just imagine it as a method of assassination. Give someone a tiny watermelon to eat but the second they bite into it it blows their head into two parts.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-25, 02:25 PM
Here's an idea. Put a permanent shrink item on a massive chain, then during combat you entangle the enemy in the shrunken-to-normal-size chain, speak the command word, and watch him stagger around under a weight that might exceed his maximum load. Obviously this is more effective against humanoid opponents.

Stegyre
2012-09-25, 02:30 PM
It's not a command word magic item, Shrink Item has a built-in function that keys a given shrunk item to return to its normal size upon the utterance of a particular word, with no effort required other than speaking that single word. Speaking is a free action.
Speaking "in general" is a free action.

In a specific instance, using a command word, by RAW, is not.

The perma-shrink item is, by definition, a command word item: a magical item controlled by a command word. Check out the PHB/Glossary definition:

A magic item that activates when the user speaks a particular word or phrase. Activating a command word item does not require concentration and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Chalk it up to those RAW quirks, like a single-word spell that requires seven pages (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0306.html).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-25, 02:42 PM
Bah, power words taking up multiple pages makes plenty of sense. An 8 syllable word can easily take 2-3 seconds to say, so the word is probably about that long. Since each syllable has to be said with just the right inflection, cadence, and accent. You could very easily spend half a page explaining just how to say each syllable and another half or full page explaining exactly how to string the syllables together. Then there's the arcane formulae you have to memorize just to make that excruciatingly precise word do anything at all when you say it. You could easily eat up 7 pages on PW Blind.

Toliudar
2012-09-25, 03:04 PM
+1 to a "word of command" for the spell being the same as a command word. It's not like we need to make this spell MORE powerful.

Re: multi-page Power Word spells. Remember that there's the 15 minutes of pre-casting that wizards do for each spell, with the 'casting' only being the last part of that. So there's also all of that stuff that needs to go into the seven pages of your spellbook.

Stegyre
2012-09-25, 03:39 PM
Okay, you two, now we're really going off-topic, and it just makes V cry.

gorfnab
2012-09-25, 10:02 PM
Easy way to transport dragon corpses is to use Gentle Repose + Shrink Item and then a small bottle to store it in.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-09-25, 11:38 PM
Has anyone thought of using Shrink Item in place of a Gentle Repose spell? Your dead companion is now an object, turn it into a piece of cloth. Would they continue to decompose, and if not, would they be 'halted' for the terms of Raise Dead?

Random idea formed while making this post: Kill a bunhc of random peasants, create a panic in a populace of a serial killer. Shrink Item each corpse (part of the serial killer's mark) and find a way to sneak them into some important person's estate. Boom, instant framing. Bonus points if you lead the mob to lynch the dude.

Rubik
2012-09-26, 02:27 AM

I've seen this one posted a half-dozen places around the internet, so don't know who to give credit for the original idea.Lycanthromancer's the one who came up with that one. I know the guy in person and I remember when he posted it.

Spuddles
2012-09-26, 02:39 AM
Shrink item can't affect all that much material. You'd have to have a pretty epic caster level to shrink a huge dragon.

Rubik
2012-09-26, 12:49 PM
Shrink item can't affect all that much material. You'd have to have a pretty epic caster level to shrink a huge dragon.You can shrink one bone at a time. Alternately, several bones at a time via Fabricate.

HunterColt22
2012-09-26, 01:52 PM
120 feet tall 10 foot diameter adamantie pole. I no longer have to worry about being swallowed by things of the huge category when I am small. Either that or if I am, I am going to give it a major freaking stomach ache by making both ends of it pointy for piercing damage.

Metahuman1
2012-09-26, 02:10 PM
Here's a spiffy one if the party trusts you and I want to know if it works RAW.

Cast flesh to stone on a party member that would benefit from being smaller.

Cast shrink item on the statue.

Cast Stone to flesh.

Party member is now 1/16th there original size.

Does this work? Cause the rogue and Arcane Caster will likely thank you if it does!

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-26, 02:21 PM
Does this work? Cause the rogue and Arcane Caster will likely thank you if it does!

As the party rogue, no thank you. My Fortitude saves aren't all that great. Even if it was a Reflex save to survive the ordeal, I don't think I would agree to this.

Metahuman1
2012-09-26, 02:25 PM
Wouldn't agree to +32 to hide and move silently and +8 to hit, possibly with extra dex on the side and +8 to AC assuming anything can even get a fix on you?

trollburgers
2012-09-26, 02:51 PM
Wouldn't agree to +32 to hide and move silently and +8 to hit, possibly with extra dex on the side and +8 to AC assuming anything can even get a fix on you?

Stone to Flesh
This spell restores a petrified creature to its normal state, restoring life and goods. The creature must make a DC 15 Fortitude save to survive the process. Any petrified creature, regardless of size, can be restored.

I think it's the Fort save or die that would throw off most rogues...

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-26, 03:24 PM
I think it's the Fort save or die that would throw off most rogues...

By the time this becomes available for casters I think most characters can survive a dc 15 fort save. Especially if they focus on buffing the rogue for a couple rounds before this.

Metahuman1
2012-09-26, 03:44 PM
I am so building a wizard with a rouge cohort with the Shadow Creature Template and Unseelie Fey Template for wings that has Hanks Bow and Archery feats now.

Rubik
2012-09-26, 03:48 PM
I am so building a wizard with a rouge cohortThe Red Hand of Doom?

Metahuman1
2012-09-26, 03:50 PM
Never actually gotten a chance to play that.

Rubik
2012-09-26, 03:53 PM
Never actually gotten a chance to play that.Why not? You said you're getting a rouge cohort.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-26, 03:55 PM
The Tinfoil Hat Trick has been espoused... a cone of adamantine shrunk and worn as a hat, to provide protection against AMF-wielding fighters. Once AMF hits the hat, it entombs the Wizard, blocking LoE for AMF, thus preventing the Wizard's casting from being impaired, and letting him port wherever he'd like to go.

Another one is shrinking boulders, then flying around and dropping them on people... releasing the Shrink Item before impact. Boulder to the face solves many problems.

It can also be used to blockade-run, shrinking contraband down until you get to the other side.

Conversely, it can be used to Trojan Horse much easier. Or sneaking artillery into position.

It's also quite handy for hauling massive loot items. The hundred-foot tall and fifty foot wide statue of solid gold, for example, fits much better into your Haversack once shrunk.

Shrinking a troublesome door removes it's ability to obstruct your path.

Shrinking a keystone would have an interesting effect on a bridge...

Shrinking a trap mechanism might also have interesting effects...

Shrinking a boulder, carrying it with you, then placing the pebble in a tight area and releasing the shrink item spell might do several interesting things. It might block off the chokepoint, or it might expand said chokepoint once the boulder has been shrunk again.

DarkestKnight
2012-09-26, 11:25 PM
Reading this has made me curious. The idea of shrinking bodies has been raised but what would happen if we took it a step further and then animated the bodies after? Would we still be able to command shrink/grow them?

It could also be used as an interesting assassination method, with a boulder growing out of a fellows hat, the one you cleverly sold to him, because you said "Rutabaga".

Alternatively you could set up a gear system with a piston permanently enchanted with said spell. you now have a motorcycle/vehicle. your local DM may require you to chant "Rutabaga" to go anywhere though.

you could also remove the local town guards armor with it by making a touch attack and watching either the armor, or the guard for that matter, pop like a grape.

TuggyNE
2012-09-27, 01:40 AM
Alternatively you could set up a gear system with a piston permanently enchanted with said spell. you now have a motorcycle/vehicle. your local DM may require you to chant "Rutabaga" to go anywhere though.

Speaking may be a free action, but keeping anything like the RPM you'd need would require truly amazing fast talking and impressive rhythm, as well as a first-class flywheel and some excellent bearings.

... Now I'm thinking of The Mouse and the Motorcycle. :smallamused:

OK, alternate method: expanding and contracting object is linked to rack-and-pinion, and spins the pinion back and forth; a pair of ratcheted gears then rectifies this into one-directional rotary motion. Almost as mechanically efficient, and vastly more forgiving of pauses and stutters.

panaikhan
2012-09-27, 02:14 AM
Hmm...
Automatic Sling-Bullet Crossbow of Boulderness

Kerilstrasz
2012-09-27, 04:54 AM
Ok... you perma shrink a led marble (about 1mm diameter?) to the 1/16th...
you manage somehow (another spell?) to immobilize your target...
with a syringe you present the now-harmless marble into his blood stream...

when the immobilize effect wares off you explain him what you did...

congrats... you have a new servant :P

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-27, 06:28 AM

Or he invents a micro-arc-reactor, builds a suit of armor with a ton of weapons, and comes back to kick your arse.

Assuming he doesn't die of lead poisoning first.

Assuming the D&D world knows what a syringe is in the first place...

asnys
2012-09-27, 07:34 AM

Wouldn't this require the shrunk item to expand THROUGH the people surrounding you?

ahenobarbi
2012-09-27, 07:44 AM

Um... wouldn't the (shrunk) marble just stuck in some appropriately small vein, block it and cause some pain (and possible lead poisoning)? And why would the target serve you... I mean if you can immobilize it and do with it what you want why would the marble change anything :smallconfused:

Fitz10019
2012-09-27, 08:02 AM
I think it's a Snake Plissken (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/) scenario.

Isn't there an alchemical healing salve, applied externally? Shrink Item that into a canvas, stuff the canvas into your shorts, and now whenever you fall on your duff, you're soggy with instant healing.

Also turning a campfire into canvas could be a good way to torch a place and still have an alibi.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-09-27, 08:40 AM
Use it to make miniature ships in bottles, make a miniature ship in a novelty oversized bottle, then cast shrink item on the bottle. Boggle peoples minds at your ridiculous misuse of magic!

Axier
2012-09-27, 12:28 PM
Shrink yourself down to fine using the flesh to stone/stone to flesh trick, then live wherever you want. Likely, no one will find you, ever. Plus, you can live in a solid chunk of lead in some person's house, and conduct micro-experiments in near-perfect security. Hell, you could even hide right under the noses of the imperialist nations, because they would likely never examine the cornerstones in the vaulted arches of their imperial court.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-27, 01:53 PM
Shrink yourself down to fine using the flesh to stone/stone to flesh trick, then live wherever you want. Likely, no one will find you, ever. Plus, you can live in a solid chunk of lead in some person's house, and conduct micro-experiments in near-perfect security. Hell, you could even hide right under the noses of the imperialist nations, because they would likely never examine the cornerstones in the vaulted arches of their imperial court.

Unfortunately, that doesn't quite work, because once you are no longer a statue, you no longer count as an object, and the effect wears off.

Metahuman1
2012-09-27, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately, that doesn't quite work, because once you are no longer a statue, you no longer count as an object, and the effect wears off.

Stop ruining my fun!!!!!!

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-27, 03:34 PM
Stop ruining my fun!!!!!!

I hate to side with shneeky on this one, it was a neat idea, but RAW it doesn't even get to that point. Flesh to stone doesn't have anything in its description to suggest you ever even become an object. RAW you're still a humanoid* creature, you're just made of stone. On the bright side, minute form can still make you pocket sized for a while so your buddies don't have to leave you behind.

*Most likely. Substitue outsider, plant, monstrous humanoid, or what-have-you as appropriate.

Axier
2012-09-27, 04:03 PM

Well, not quite shrink item, but you could metamorphosis, greater into something small and then astral seed yourself.. I think there is a diminutive fey somewhere, or you could be a vermin with a brain!

Ravens_cry
2012-09-27, 04:07 PM
Shrunken lakes of lava with the cloth option, worn until needed (with the Magic Aura spell up so it seems mundane) dismissed above enemies vulnerable to fire's heads?
Now that's a holocaust cloak.:smallbiggrin:

Fitz10019
2012-09-27, 04:47 PM
Shrunken lakes of lava with the cloth option, worn until needed (with the Magic Aura spell up so it seems mundane) dismissed above enemies vulnerable to fire's heads?
Now that's a holocaust cloak.:smallbiggrin:

Just hope no one pats you on the back!!

TuggyNE
2012-09-27, 07:53 PM
Just hope no one pats you on the back!!

That's not tossing onto a solid surface, though, is it? (Falling might prove ... interesting. "Roll Reflex DC 15 or land on your back — and die horribly.")

Zeb
2012-09-27, 08:48 PM
From something one of my wizards did

step 1: Use pigments to create a 64ft to 90ft crossbar banner or folding sign.
step 2: write a 25 word message to the effect of "You are not wanted in the realm of King Wallace, you will be meet with lethal force due to your invasion of this land. Bye now."
step 3: cast snake sigil
step 4: cast shrink item it now takes up less than a 5 foot square and weighs less than 10lbs
step 5: cast explosive runes on it
step 6: place out where the army is likely to mass or assemble
step 7: conceal either mundanely (cover with a cloth) or via illusion.
step 8: when the time is right dismiss the shrink item
step 9: explosive profit