PDA

View Full Version : [FR] Designing a Sea Cave Adventure

vartan
2012-09-25, 12:08 PM
ITT we brainstorm ideas for the 3.5 session of D&D that I'll be DM'ing on Thursday based on this criteria:

The party just entered a sea cave along the coast of the Dragonmere just to the west of Marsember- its at the base of a cliff right along the shore. The cave has been purposed by a fanatical priestess of Umberlee to serve a site for live, human sacrifice and other such radical worship. As they entered the cavern, they found themselves in a small chamber with pews made of driftwood and an altar made of ship wreckage attended by several dagger wielding sailors and a man who used a ship's anchor chain as a weapon. This encounter almost proved far more deadly than I estimated- so I wouldn't mind a few softer encounters for a party of four Level 4 characters with basically no arcane support or easy healing magics.

Just beyond the altar was a rusty iron portcullis with a door set in it- we concluded just as they opened the door. It is known that the caves are underwater at times depending on tide, and the environment further inland is marsh/bog so there's a chance that Swim checks might have to be made at some point.

Suggestions? Right now I'm considering:

An encounter with a Seacat.

EDIT: For more on the party see here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249634