PDA

View Full Version : Fatetwisting Witch; feat suggestions

Draxar
2012-09-25, 05:58 PM
So, I'm going to be playing a 10th level character in an Pathfinder ongoing Kingmaker campaign a friend is running.

I'm adapting a backup idea from an Eberron Pathfinder game I was in — there it was a Dragon Prophesier Witch, with the powers being understanding and influence relating to the Draconic Prophecy, here it's just going to be a more general fatebinding/twisting thing. He doesn't curse you by pointing at you and wailing, he does it by concentrating, and picking those strands of fate where bad things are more likely to happen to you. Cackling is updating his current calculations. Mechanically, he'll be throwing hex debuffs at enemies, particularly bigger ones, throwing spell and hex buffs at party members, and doing a certain amount of healing.

So far, I've got the following:

Race: Ratfolk (for the favoured class effect of '+5 foot range to a hex with a range greater than touch')

Patron: Portents

Hexes:

1st Evil Eye
2nd Cackle
Extra Hex (3rd) Fortune
4th Misfortune
Extra Hex (5th) Slumber
6th Hobble (Third party; trip attack using Witch level + Int)
8th Entropy (Third party; sunder using Witch level + Int to hit, 2d6+witch level damage)
10th Hoarfrost or Retribution?

Feats:

1st Accursed Hex
3rd Extra Hex
5th Extra Hex
7th ???
9th ???

The main thing I'm after suggestions for is what to do with my last two feats. I'm vaguely considering taking two third party ones; one that adds +1 to all my Hex DCs, and another that lets my familiar use my hexes at reduced effectiveness if I'm not using them (i.e. if I'm casting a spell that round).

But I'm wondering if there's anything else particularly good, interesting or fitting for the concept that anyone can suggest.

I'm also going to be looking at my options for spells and magic items, so any suggests there would also be welcome.

I'm not after a supremely optimised character, I'm just after something that both fits with the concept, but also works as a viable and useful character in the game — wonderfully flavourful but incredibly weak is not what I'm after.

In terms of what's allowable, there's a huge list of things in various spreadsheets, but the general summary of that appears to be 'Most third party stuff as long as it's not stupid'.

So, any suggestions?

Aemoh87
2012-09-26, 06:12 AM
Ratfolk is not worth it. I just played one and it really was not worth it at all. My character was very similar to yours and to improve it you could:

Dip 1 level dual-cursed oracle... WORTH IT. You will loves it.

Play a Samsaran and grab some great utility spells.

Pick up flight, I know the curses look good and important but you really really need flight to stay alive and mobile.

Don't take fortune as it's not the most usable hex.

Draxar
2012-09-26, 04:06 PM
Ratfolk is not worth it. I just played one and it really was not worth it at all.

Because?

My character was very similar to yours and to improve it you could:

Dip 1 level dual-cursed oracle... WORTH IT. You will loves it.

Possibly. Is that misfortune useable unlimited times a day, just once per target? It seems a lot of curse-downsides for that one thing.

Play a Samsaran and grab some great utility spells.

Eh. Reasonably happy with the spell list, and not particularly taken by that class.

Pick up flight, I know the curses look good and important but you really really need flight to stay alive and mobile.

I may do.

Don't take fortune as it's not the most usable hex.

But can be quite handy outside combat.

So, anyone got any feat suggestions?