PDA

View Full Version : Well, they said it was "blade magic..."[Feat, PEACH]

Amechra
2012-09-25, 09:47 PM
Supernal Grace Manifestation
You have studied your weapon with extreme diligence, and that diligence has paid off.
Prerequisite: Must know at least 1 Supernatural maneuver.
Benefit: Up to five times per day, you may elect to have your next use of a specific maneuver of your choice count as a Spell-like ability, with an effective spell level equal to the level of the maneuver, for all intents and purposes.

In addition, you may qualify for any prerequisites as if you had a caster level equal to your initiator level, and calculate the benefits of any feat, class feature, or other effect using your initiator level in the place of your caster level, whichever would be higher.

Morph Bark
2012-09-26, 02:11 AM
Hm. Sorta interesting, but what is the real benefit of this feat? I figure this would require a lot of system mastery to make good use of this feat.

Amechra
2012-09-26, 12:16 PM
Off the top of my head:

Quicken Spell-Like Ability
Empower Spell-Like Ability
Widen Spell-Like Ability
Mortalbane

Getting your hands on some PrCs.

There are probably more benefits, but I think just those are enough in many situations.

Though it might be better to just mess with some stuff instead... I'll think on that.

Pyromancer999
2012-09-26, 12:46 PM
Off the top of my head:

Quicken Spell-Like Ability
Empower Spell-Like Ability
Widen Spell-Like Ability
Mortalbane

Excepting Mortalbane, there are supernatural ability equivalents for each of those feats.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-26, 01:17 PM
Empowered Divine Surge, anyone?

Or perhaps Quickened Mountain Hammer?

You really should state that only Supernatural manouvers are affected.

Garryl
2012-09-26, 01:30 PM
This has the same problem Hideous Blow does. As an SLA, it'll provoke AoOs.

Amechra
2012-09-26, 01:31 PM
The point is that all of them are affected; your knowledge of Supernatural maneuvers allows you to bootstrap all of them.

Because I can't see any problem with empowering any maneuver, or quickening any maneuver.

No problems at all.

I might alter it to be based off of Metapsionics and Continuous Metamagic, or something.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-26, 02:07 PM
Quickened Time Stands Still for a total of THREE full attacks, in one round, doesn't seem a problem?

Quellian-dyrae
2012-09-26, 02:18 PM
Quickened Time Stands Still for a total of THREE full attacks, in one round, doesn't seem a problem?

Quicken SLA caps out at affecting 6th level spells at 20th level.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-26, 02:19 PM
Really? Huh. That's what you get from skimming, I guess.

Garryl
2012-09-26, 04:26 PM
You'll just have to settle for a quickened (um, that 2nd level Desert Wind Maneuver whose name escapes me) for an ersatz Time Stands Still (with an extra attack but at -2) at level 12. Combine with the actual Time Stands still and let the nastiness ensue.

While this is an interesting concept, I think the fact that the first feat alone does nearly nothing in and of itself is a bit of bad design. Combo potential with other feats and abilities is there, although not to the degree warranting a wasted feat. There's little point in even using it alone on your existing strikes, as SLAs are almost universally weaker than Ex and Su abilities (provokes AoOs, allows SR, can be disrupted, can be dispelled, etc.).

Also, other than the Sudden line of Meta-SLA feats, I'm not sure this even works with Quicken SLA and its brethren. You don't actually have any SLAs to choose to apply them to, you just make a usage of an Ex or Su ability count as an SLA while you're using it.

Amechra
2012-09-26, 04:37 PM
I'm thinking of making a set of "metainitiation feats" that let you apply stuff to maneuvers.

And doesn't quicken only affect things of up to a Standard action activation time?

Garryl
2012-09-26, 05:48 PM
1 full round or less. Whether that's supposed to be one full-round action or 1 round, I can't answer.

Also, Quicken SLA (at least the one in the SRD) doesn't appear to have been errataed up to a swift action instead of a free action, although that's certainly just an oversight.

Xefas
2012-09-27, 12:33 AM
I'm thinking of making a set of "metainitiation feats" that let you apply stuff to maneuvers.

At least one take on metainitiation feats has been done before. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162975) However, there are only a few that aren't just straight copies of metamagic feats, and they require you to expend multiple maneuvers at once to use, which I'm not sure is the best way to go about it. Probably some room for improvement, so I'd look forward to a different perspective, if you've got one. :smallsmile:

Amechra
2012-09-27, 01:27 PM
I was thinking of something involving transferring in and out of stances.

So, if you are willing to forgo a boost for that round, you get a "boost" that involves dropping out of a stance (or transferring into a different stance.)

So you could have someone change the extra damage for their maneuvers into Fire damage if they transfer into a Desert Wind stance, or something.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-02, 11:07 AM
If I did metamanouver feats, I'd just stick on a cool down and call it a day.