PDA

View Full Version : Dustforce

Eurus
2012-09-26, 02:40 AM
So, anyone who picked up the most recent Humble Indie Bundle might've seen Dustforce. It's an interesting little action-platformer with decent visuals, nice gameplay, and potentially aneurysm-inducing challenge.

I've been having fun with it lately, completed most of the Mansion (only one of the Gold levels left, I think it's the Tower or something) and dabbling in the early levels of the city. Haven't tried the multiplayer yet, and I don't have the drive or talent to go for speed runs. Been mostly using Dustman (the blue guy) for the classic simplicity, but Dustworth (green) and Dustkid (purple) are quite fun.

Cogwheel
2012-09-26, 05:26 AM
So, anyone who picked up the most recent Humble Indie Bundle might've seen Dustforce. It's an interesting little action-platformer with decent visuals, nice gameplay, and potentially aneurysm-inducing challenge.

I've been having fun with it lately, completed most of the Mansion (only one of the Gold levels left, I think it's the Tower or something) and dabbling in the early levels of the city. Haven't tried the multiplayer yet, and I don't have the drive or talent to go for speed runs. Been mostly using Dustman (the blue guy) for the classic simplicity, but Dustworth (green) and Dustkid (purple) are quite fun.

I've been playing Dustforce before it was cool. Back when it was released. Before you were cool.

Really bad at it, by the way. Nowhere near your level of skill, and the lag it causes on other stuff shuts out multitasking, so I hardly ever play it. Dustworth is neat, though. That said, Dustkid seems to be the favoured pick for most.

Eurus
2012-09-26, 06:17 AM
Yeah, Dustkid is arguably the best (or maybe easiest?), since she gets a triple-jump instead of a double. All three of her jumps together only reach the same altitude as Dustman's double, but it makes her much more forgiving and controllable. Dustworth jumps higher, which can actually be problematic since I have a tendency to overshoot certain jumps completely with him. :smalleek:

I have no idea what Dustgirl (red) does differently. I think her attack range is slightly better or something?

A Rainy Knight
2012-09-26, 09:44 PM
I got the bundle and played around with it a bit. For the time being I'm capital-T terrible at it; there's just too many controls going on at once for me to keep very good track of them. I'll probably try to give it a better effort once I've got some more spare time, though.

Didn't have any idea that the characters were different, though. :smallredface:

Knaight
2012-09-27, 01:00 AM
I'm semi-decent-ish at this. I usually play Dustgirl, as I desperately need the faster heavy attack to not get smacked due to attack timing being a bit of a weak point for me. I also use Dustkid some, mostly for laboratory levels where being short is a good way not to get electrocuted. That said, I have managed to get SS for most of the forest, some of the mansion, and some of the laboratory already, as well a a decent chunk of the city levels. I still have most gold doors left, and there is the top section with what looks like 5 red gates that I suspect might have something behind them. Plus, there is multiplayer.

Eurus
2012-09-27, 10:41 AM
Yup, the top section has the "Difficult" levels. You need to SS every single other gold level to get enough red keys to get there, and from what I've seen in Youtube videos, they're hilariously sadistic.

Knaight
2012-09-29, 10:28 PM
Yup, the top section has the "Difficult" levels. You need to SS every single other gold level to get enough red keys to get there, and from what I've seen in Youtube videos, they're hilariously sadistic.

Well, that isn't happening. I can SS a decent chunk of the gold levels, but Backup Shift isn't in any danger of getting either S. I'm still surprised I was able to clear that miserable level at all.

Eurus
2012-09-29, 10:44 PM
Well, that isn't happening. I can SS a decent chunk of the gold levels, but Backup Shift isn't in any danger of getting either S. I'm still surprised I was able to clear that miserable level at all.

My current peeve is Tower. I'm not quite sure why, but it's just giving me fits. Only mansion level I haven't cleared.

Knaight
2012-09-30, 01:10 PM
My current peeve is Tower. I'm not quite sure why, but it's just giving me fits. Only mansion level I haven't cleared.

Tower didn't bother me much - the mansion level that I have the most difficulty with is Ghost Parapets. I haven't yet cleared it, mostly because I've been focusing on the laboratory and forest, and I'm pretty sure it is well within my ability on account of the way it's not Backup Shift. Plus, the manuevering needed to get to the Ruins in the first place is harder than anything in it, and I managed that.

Khosan
2012-09-30, 03:22 PM

Tower (technically, along with most other levels), is just a matter of repetition. Also, Dustkid really helps out here. A lot of it is about punching enemies mid-air, and Dustkid is really forgiving in that regard.

I SS'd Ruins in the forest recently. Dustman is apparently ideally suited for it. My first few attempts were with Dustgirl or Dustkid and they do not pull off that last bit well at all.

I've only got one level left in both Forest and Mansion, both of which are the Temple levels. In Laboratory, I've still got Backup Shift, Abyss and Core Temple left. In the City, I've got Clocktower (technically not that hard, I need to go back there and try it again), Hideout and Concrete Temple left to do.