PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with duskblades?

motoko's ghost
2012-09-26, 08:52 AM
I was recently perusing the PHB2, when I noticed something I'd previously overlooked.
The duskblade has 0thlv spell slots in both the table and the text, but the duskblade spell list doesn't have any 0thlv spells, nor does it mention anything about them, whats up with that?

Does anyone know what the 0thlv duskblade spells are?

Lonely Tylenol
2012-09-26, 09:01 AM
If I recall, the spell list at the end of the Duskblade entry in the Classes chapter does in fact have 0-level spells; it's just that the Duskblade's 0-level spell list is small and easy to miss. It's something to the effect of Ray of Frost, Touch of Fatigue, Resistance, and one other. Short list. Touch of Fatigue wins MVP for being a touch spell with an effect that you can apply through Arcane Channeling.

Zombimode
2012-09-26, 09:13 AM
I was recently perusing the PHB2, when I noticed something I'd previously overlooked.
The duskblade has 0thlv spell slots in both the table and the text, but the duskblade spell list doesn't have any 0thlv spells, nor does it mention anything about them, whats up with that?

Does anyone know what the 0thlv duskblade spells are?

The Duskblade spell list is somewhat easy to miss. It is directly under the sample encounter.
It does not help that the book points you towards the list of new Duskblade spells printed in the same book and advertises it as the Duskbalde Spell list (in general). This is an editing error.

motoko's ghost
2012-09-26, 09:16 AM
Okay, thanks. Seems kinda screwy but at least it has some.

Allanimal
2012-09-26, 09:56 AM
Another crazy duskblade fact: they get 2+Int level 0 spells known, but there are only 4 spells on the level 0 list. So a DB with mid-high INT can't get all the spells (s)he's entitled to.

Edit: correct spells known and number of spells on the list

Starbuck_II
2012-09-26, 10:06 AM
Another crazy duskblade fact: they get 4+Int level 0 spells known, but there are only like 5 spells on the level 0 list. So a DB with mid-high INT can't get all the spells (s)he's entitled to.

Note: I may not remember the numbers correctly, but the fact remains.

Worse they have 4 0th levels possible.
They start with 2 0th + 1 additiomal per Int mod and 2 1st level (no bonus for high Int).

So anything over 14 Int is a waste for bonus spells.

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-26, 10:37 AM
There is a house rule that you might consider using.

The Duskblade's spell list includes 4 0-level spells: acid splash, disrupt undead, ray of frost, touch of fatigue. The Duskblade also has a class ability called Arcane Attunement that allows her to cast dancing lights, detect magic, flare, ghost sound, and read magic as SLAs a combined 3+INT modifier times per day.

For a Duskblade with intelligence higher than 14, you might allow them to add any of the spells from Arcane Attunement to their Duskblade spell list as spells known. This would give a small amount of added flexibility the the character, as they could cast those particular spells either as spells or SLAs.

Alternately, there are 0-level wizard spells from other source books that you might add to the Duskblade spell list. For instance, Electric Jolt (SC78) is similar to acid splash, just with a different energy type, and would make perfect sense added to the list.