PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

Saidoro
2012-09-26, 11:09 AM
Just an idea that came up, I'm wondering if it would actually work as described.

Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Prestige Paladin 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Cleric +1
Pertinent feats: Sword of the Arcane Order, Battle Blessing

So you've got 8th level casting from the cleric, paladin, and wizard lists and all paladin and wizard spells are cast as swift actions, which you can get 1 for 1 by spending turn attempts. Also, depending on how the 'gain access to' part of the unique spells thing is interpreted you could use the spontaneous divine caster variant, knocking you back a spell level but allowing you to cast spontaneously from the entire wizard list.

So, does it work?

Aegis013
2012-09-26, 11:12 AM
Assuming there's not a different sourcebook than Champions of Valor for Sword of the Arcane Order, no it doesn't; you don't qualify for Sword of the Arcane Order.

If there is a different sourcebook, let me know which one.

Edit: And I don't see where Prestige Paladin (UA pg70-71) grants paladin spells anyway, it seems like it would simply advance cleric casting, making you not meet the prerequisites of Battle Blessing.

Saidoro
2012-09-26, 11:21 AM
Assuming there's not a different sourcebook than Champions of Valor for Sword of the Arcane Order, no it doesn't; you don't qualify for Sword of the Arcane Order.

If there is a different sourcebook, let me know which one.

Edit: And I don't see where Prestige Paladin (UA pg70-71) grants paladin spells anyway, it seems like it would simply advance cleric casting, making you not meet the prerequisites of Battle Blessing.
I don't see why it wouldn't qualify, it has 4 paladin levels. The part about adding spells is at the top (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm). Look at unique spells.

Aegis013
2012-09-26, 11:27 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't qualify, it has 4 paladin levels. The part about adding spells is at the top (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm). Look at unique spells.

Ok, I see it now. Seems like it might work. There's still debate on whether Battle Blessing applies to anything that isn't the Paladin spell list, since it explicitly says Paladin spells in its benefit description. Some would argue that a Wizard spell cast from a Paladin slot is still a Wizard spell.

So I'm not sure, it'd really boil down to DM's discretion I think.

Edit: You also don't seem to have Paladin slots, so I'm not sure Sword of the Arcane Order applies, since Prestige Paladin doesn't grant its own slots, but piggyback's on Cleric slots for you.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-09-26, 01:05 PM
Beyond legality of this build, why? All you get is severly gimped Theurge casting, with relatively small number of Swift Action casting. Your casting as 8th level Cleric, with the Cleric, Wizard and Paladin lists. So you don't have the extra slots of a Theurge to prepare nor do you have anything beyond 4th level. Sure you have rather gimped Maneuver progression, but overall your options are varied but low level.

nedz
2012-09-26, 02:20 PM
You have no Paladin spells, you have cleric spells.
Prestige Paladin != Paladin.
So no Sword of the Arcane Order

Even if you had levels of Paladin in there; Sword of the Arcane Order lets you learn wizard spells in paladin spell slots, so Battle Blessing would not swift these up since they are not Paladin spells.

I think that with an overly liberal reading of RAW you might have some TO here, but it would be a hard sell.

Saidoro
2012-09-26, 04:50 PM
Edit: You also don't seem to have Paladin slots, so I'm not sure Sword of the Arcane Order applies, since Prestige Paladin doesn't grant its own slots, but piggyback's on Cleric slots for you.
This is a potential problem but you could probably argue that your cleric slots are paladin slots since they're being advanced by the paladin class.

Beyond legality of this build, why? All you get is severly gimped Theurge casting, with relatively small number of Swift Action casting. Your casting as 8th level Cleric, with the Cleric, Wizard and Paladin lists. So you don't have the extra slots of a Theurge to prepare nor do you have anything beyond 4th level. Sure you have rather gimped Maneuver progression, but overall your options are varied but low level.
5(cleric)+2(P Paladin)+8(RKV)=15. So you're casting as a 15th level cleric which means you can cast 8th level spells. your uses per day are 3+cha+(4 x however many nightsticks you own). That is not a small number of uses per day. Admittedly, it's probably better as a gish than a full caster, but being able to cast 10 high level wizard spells in a round is non-trivial.

You have no Paladin spells, you have cleric spells.
Prestige Paladin != Paladin.
So no Sword of the Arcane Order

Even if you had levels of Paladin in there; Sword of the Arcane Order lets you learn wizard spells in paladin spell slots, so Battle Blessing would not swift these up since they are not Paladin spells.

I think that with an overly liberal reading of RAW you might have some TO here, but it would be a hard sell.
Prestige Paladin is a replacement class. So, yes, Prestige Paladin == Paladin in any game that uses them.
As for battle blessing, I suppose you're right about that one. Being prepared in paladin slots does not necessarily make them paladin spells. On the other hand, being wizard spells means they're arcane which opens some other things up.

Let's say Cleric 6/Prestige Paladin 4/Geomancer 10. You can cast 9th level spells from the Cleric, Paladin and Wizard lists, all of your spells use the same stat for save DCs(probably wisdom) and you can cast all of them as either swift or standard actions by having them count as paladin spells for the former and cleric or wizard spells for the latter. It doesn't screw the action economy nearly as hard as the original build but still...

nedz
2012-09-26, 06:55 PM
PP can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin)

Spells per Day

A prestige paladin's training focuses on divine spellcasting. At every odd numbered level reached, the prestige paladin gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever divine spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class.

Which means it advances clerical spells. It doesn't grant any paladin ones.

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-26, 08:49 PM
PP can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin)

Which means it advances clerical spells. It doesn't grant any paladin ones.

Ya going to have to agree with Nez. Just because it has paladin in the name doesn't mean it gives the paladin base classes' spell slots.

Saidoro
2012-09-26, 10:48 PM
Paladin spells are the spells cast by paladins. Prestige paladin is a class which completely replaces the paladin base class in games in which it is used, so all paladins are clerics with levels in the prestige paladin class. in campaigns which use the prestige paladin class paladin spells must refer to one of two things: either all spells cast by clerics with levels in the prestige paladin class or all spells specifically added to the cleric list by the prestige paladin class. Either way, they're casting at least some paladin spells.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-27, 03:56 PM
Paladin spells are the spells cast by paladins. Prestige paladin is a class which completely replaces the paladin base class in games in which it is used, so all paladins are clerics with levels in the prestige paladin class. in campaigns which use the prestige paladin class paladin spells must refer to one of two things: either all spells cast by clerics with levels in the prestige paladin class or all spells specifically added to the cleric list by the prestige paladin class. Either way, they're casting at least some paladin spells.

There is a third option. Since Pr Paladin doesn't grant any spells of its own, it only improves your existing divine list, there are no paladin spells if this variant is in play.

This is another one of those "The designers did not forsee this" cases where there is no definitive RAW answer. Both of your interpretations and the one I've added are all right in someone's game. None of them are right in all games.

nedz
2012-09-27, 06:51 PM

Do you have a source for this ?
There is no mention in the SRD of PP adding any spells to the clerics list.