PDA

View Full Version : Bagel heads

pendell
2012-09-26, 02:26 PM
Some folks think it's pretty (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2208051/Bagel-head-trend-Are-saline-injections-Japans-extreme-beauty-look-yet.html).

I .. am not convinced.

Would you consider doing this? (And lest it need to be said, injecting saline into your forehead is something only trained professionals should do, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!) If you're a parent, would you allow it? All my children are in Heaven, but I think this would hit the limits of my usual laidback attitude. Short clothes? Sure! Tattoos? Sure! Piercing of various body parts? Sure! Injecting saline into your forehead so it looks like a bagel? NO. N-O.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Anxe
2012-09-26, 02:53 PM
I don't think its pretty, but I think that about a lot of piercings and tattoos as well. Since it only lasts a day, its more like makeup. I'd let my hypothetical kids do it. I would make fun of them when they did so too.

sktarq
2012-09-26, 03:55 PM
To be honest this is the kind of thing I'd encourage my kids to do. Want to be crazy and modify your body-sure add some saltwater and make it look like you come strait out of star trek. Have fun with that. Better than a tattoo that they will regret next week.

factotum
2012-09-26, 04:19 PM
I think we've found the aliens from the next series of Star Trek... :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2012-09-26, 08:23 PM
At least its temporary. I think they look like morons, and would most assuredly point and laugh at anyone I saw with this done to them, but hey, like an above poster said, better this than some tramp stamp tattoo they will regret in another decade.

valadil
2012-09-26, 08:45 PM
I don't get the appeal. It seems like the sort of thing one does to piss off one's parents. As a parent I'm going to try to casually ignore stuff like this instead of making it clear that my son is never to even think about something like this. In the long run though, it's probably no more harmful than a mohawk.

Traab
2012-09-26, 09:13 PM
I don't get the appeal. It seems like the sort of thing one does to piss off one's parents. As a parent I'm going to try to casually ignore stuff like this instead of making it clear that my son is never to even think about something like this. In the long run though, it's probably no more harmful than a mohawk.

Dont knock the mohawk! I looked badass with one when I was younger.

Remmirath
2012-09-26, 09:57 PM
I think it looks a bit foolish, and seems as though it would be uncomfortable. It does not seem as though it would be a great idea long-term, either, but I suppose if it is in no way harmful than it doesn't matter that much. One could achieve more or less the same effect with make-up in about the same time frame, though.

Mostly, my impression is that this is a very odd thing and I can't understand why somebody would want to do it.

valadil
2012-09-27, 12:12 PM

I was only comparing them in terms of long term damage, not attractiveness. Barring the use of unclean needles or razors, the only harm is some regrettable photos.

Traab
2012-09-27, 04:03 PM
I was only comparing them in terms of long term damage, not attractiveness. Barring the use of unclean needles or razors, the only harm is some regrettable photos.

Dont knock the photos either! I looked handsome in my dads wedding photos with my mohawk! (Seriously, I still had it when he got married lol.) Probably wasnt the smartest thing to do. I mean I normally shave my head but was enjoying doing something different and liked the look. I should have just shaved it and left it grow back in but I was a kid and not too bright.

nedz
2012-09-28, 06:43 AM
So that's what a stirge bite looks like.:smallbiggrin:

The fact that it is temporary makes this OK, I think.

Its like:
Henna Tattoos are excellent (they last about 6 weeks).
Real Tattoos: not so much. Even if they are great at first, at some point you may want to change.

Eldan
2012-09-28, 06:46 AM
Are there really no side effects to it? I mean, has any doctor studied what happens if you do that regularly?

If there aren't: do whatever the hell you like. Just as long as I don't have to look at you. It disgusts me.

Traab
2012-09-28, 10:37 AM
Its just basically water, your body can flush that out easily. Unless you are in danger of congestive heart failure, I dont think getting a gallon of saline pumped into your face will raise any major health issues. Aside from mental health ones.

noparlpf
2012-09-28, 12:27 PM
Some folks think it's pretty (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2208051/Bagel-head-trend-Are-saline-injections-Japans-extreme-beauty-look-yet.html).

I .. am not convinced.

Would you consider doing this? (And lest it need to be said, injecting saline into your forehead is something only trained professionals should do, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!) If you're a parent, would you allow it? All my children are in Heaven, but I think this would hit the limits of my usual laidback attitude. Short clothes? Sure! Tattoos? Sure! Piercing of various body parts? Sure! Injecting saline into your forehead so it looks like a bagel? NO. N-O.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

What even? XDD Oh Japan what have you come up with this time.

THAC0
2012-09-28, 04:54 PM
Won't it stretch your skin out eventually?

Keld Denar
2012-09-28, 08:03 PM
Its ok, you can get Botox to smooth out the wrinkles this creates.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-28, 09:59 PM
And here I thought the japanese couldn't get any weirder. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the culture in general, but sometimes they do stuff that boggles the mind. Does anybody else remember the tupper-ware lingerie fad a couple years ago? It's got nothing on this, I'm just sayin'.

noparlpf
2012-09-28, 10:08 PM
And here I thought the japanese couldn't get any weirder. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the culture in general, but sometimes they do stuff that boggles the mind. Does anybody else remember the tupper-ware lingerie fad a couple years ago? It's got nothing on this, I'm just sayin'.

What? I missed that one. Could you find a link or photo?

JoshL
2012-09-28, 10:17 PM

Ditto! I sported a long blue mohawk from 2000-09 (usually pulled into a topknot or combed down to one side). I'd still have one now if my slacker-job didn't come to an end forcing me to get a real job. The day I can afford to quit, the mohawk is coming back.

As for this, well, not the weirdest body mod I've ever seen. Not to my taste, but doesn't really freak me out either. I did see one photo where a woman did two bulges on the temples (rather than the forehead donut) and looked very Oni-like. I can dig it. And hey, tons of bad tattoos in the world too!

Traab
2012-09-28, 10:30 PM
My mowhawk was very basic. No dye job, I just shaved my head down with a guardless electric razor leaving just enough stubble to color my scalp, and left the strip down the middle full size. Since I cut my own hair, I have had plenty of chances to play around. I wish I still had the picture around of me with mutton chops and a bare scalp. That was freaking hilarious looking.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-28, 11:06 PM
What? I missed that one. Could you find a link or photo?

Sorry, I don't have a link atm, this isn't even a proper computer I'm working with and I saw it on a news program to begin with. I'll take a stab at googling it though.

noparlpf
2012-09-28, 11:09 PM
Sorry, I don't have a link atm, this isn't even a proper computer I'm working with and I saw it on a news program to begin with. I'll take a stab at googling it though.

Thanks. I tried (admittedly halfheartedly because I'm in the middle of an episode of Doctor Who) but I didn't come up with anything, but maybe you remember some useful keywords.

GolemsVoice
2012-09-28, 11:37 PM
As others said, it's nor harmful, not permanent, and so whatever. I personally thinks it looks stupid as hell, but hey, they can do whatever they want.

Also, why does it not surprise me that this is from Japan? Them's crazy folk over there!

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-29, 12:40 AM
Thanks. I tried (admittedly halfheartedly because I'm in the middle of an episode of Doctor Who) but I didn't come up with anything, but maybe you remember some useful keywords.

No luck here either. I'm certain it was a thing though. I distinctly remember the model showing off the product on the program. It was like she was pixelated only it was real, not just a computer trick. I don't imagine it would've been airable if she'd worn one made of a clearer model of tupper ware.

noparlpf
2012-09-29, 12:46 AM
No luck here either. I'm certain it was a thing though. I distinctly remember the model showing off the product on the program. It was like she was pixelated only it was real, not just a computer trick. I don't imagine it would've been airable if she'd worn one made of a clearer model of tupper ware.

You sure that wasn't Lady Gaga?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-29, 12:50 AM
You sure that wasn't Lady Gaga?

Ha! Yeah, I'm sure. It was back before she was a thing. Seriously, I'm talking like 6-7 years at least. It just sticks out in my memory for some reason.

noparlpf
2012-09-29, 12:52 AM
Ha! Yeah, I'm sure. It was back before she was a thing. Seriously, I'm talking like 6-7 years at least. It just sticks out in my memory for some reason.

(I forgot the :b at the end.)
Huh, that's a while back. I'll try again tomorrow when I'm awake.

grimbold
2012-09-29, 04:01 AM
who comes up with these things?

Asta Kask
2012-09-29, 05:10 AM
Won't it stretch your skin out eventually?

Yes, but the stretching will reverse itself after you stop.

Traab
2012-09-29, 10:23 AM

Its possible it was just one of those stupid "concept" outfits. Not meant to be sold, just a way for a designer to show off how original and unique they are and how out of the box they can make their outfits.

Maelstrom
2012-09-29, 12:34 PM
Truly one of those fads that bogle the mind (or bagel the head)....cannot see how they would be considered attractive, but hey, to each their own.

As for JApanese 'tuperware' bras...something like this?
http://www.calgaryherald.com/story_print.html?id=3024505&sponsor=
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2010/05/13/oukoe-uk-bra-rice-idUKTRE64C0KC20100513

JoshL
2012-09-29, 02:09 PM
I wish I still had the picture around of me with mutton chops and a bare scalp. That was freaking hilarious looking.

Too bad you don't have that pic! I have a friend that always has a shaved head and goatee, and has sometimes done sideburns of various degrees. It's an odd look! My embarrassing look was in high school...goatee grown under the chin, sometimes braided. It was silly and horrible.

But my funny hair? That was awesome. Old band photo (2007):
http://gnarphlager.com/Images/2007.jpg

I was lazy about keeping it shaved/dyed so I usually had brown roots, and I usually had fuzz on the sides. Like you, I cut my own, so it was always a little variable to begin with!

Eurus
2012-09-29, 02:22 PM
This really sets off some body horror shudders for me. :smalleek:

That being said, yeah, people can do whatever they want to themselves and it's temporary anyway.

Traab
2012-09-29, 03:43 PM
Nice one josh! My hair never grew that long, it got poofy but never seemed to extend. I had a white boy afro combined with a natural mullet if I dont cut my hair for a year. It was. . . odd. I generally keep my standard style the same as it has been since I was 8 though, shave me down to the stubble, then when my hair needs a comb, its time to shave again. Now that I am trying and failing epically to grow a decent beard, my shaved head starts looking a bit odd. Its a full beard, from ear to ear, so having a bushy hobo beard with a shaved head.... yeah, I think you can imagine. If I was 80 and my hair was pure white, it would be a chris kringle beard, but right now it just looks hoboish.

GnomeFighter
2012-10-01, 06:00 AM
That is odd and I'm not sure why the do it, but then is it any odder than stretching out ear lobes or having a mullet, both of which people do but I don't get.

Mystic Muse
2012-10-06, 08:30 AM
That is odd and I'm not sure why the do it, but then is it any odder than stretching out ear lobes or having a mullet, both of which people do but I don't get.

Well, if I recall correctly, for some people gauges (Those things that stretch out your earlobes) are a cultural thing. So, it's not necessarily something that will make sense to you, and doesn't really matter if it makes sense to anybody but them.

For somebody who it isn't a cultural thing for...yeah, it doesn't make much sense at all.

hobbitkniver
2012-10-08, 10:13 AM
This is kinda gross, I had trouble looking at that picture for more than a few seconds.

Story Time
2012-10-13, 05:19 AM
Guess which gesture I made when viewing the article...

A face-palm.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-13, 07:45 PM
Guess which gesture I made when viewing the article...

A face-palm.

I have to imagine that, for those folks, a poorly aimed face-palm might sting a bit.