PDA

View Full Version : D20 Mother (Anybody want to work on this with me?)

Giegue
2012-09-26, 08:18 PM
As the title asks. As you can tell from my name, I am a fan of the Earthbound/Mother series. I have always wanted D20 rules for games set in the world(s) of the Mother series but am not the best homebrewer in the world. As a result I'm turning to all of you. I want to start a project to translate the Mother games; it's psionic powers, oddball enemies, items and major characters to D20 rules and, if we get far enough with this, release all the content we make as a series of free PDFs in the same vein as Naruto D20 and Pokemon Table Top Adventures.

So, are their any Mother/Earthbound fans out there who want to help translate this awesome game series to a D20 RPG?

danzibr
2012-09-26, 08:27 PM
Well, I've never done any homebrewing except for making my own campaigns, but I'd love to see this.

Not saying you should do this, but I'd probably make like a... not d20. And by that I mean maybe d12 or 2d12 or 2d10 or something. Less randomization.

Giegue
2012-09-26, 08:31 PM
Yeah. I'd prefer sticking to the D20 system for this since it's the most well known, widely used and familiar system. I've never played any of those indie systems that use other dice as the basis for their games. I have only ever used the D20 system so I'd kinda want to stick to that.

Debihuman
2012-09-27, 09:55 AM
D&D 4th edition, 3.5, or Pathfinder? All are "d20" systems. It helps if you let us know which one.

Debby

Giegue
2012-09-27, 11:22 AM
Most likely a combination of 3.5e and pathfinder. However, like PTTA and D20 Naruto it will probably have it's own rules for things as well. I am, as of now, not sure if we want to use actual D&D Psionics rules for PSI powers or make our own rules for PSI. Also, I am not even sure we're keeping the skill system. If we do keep the skill system, however, I'll probably be using the pathfinder skill system rather then the 3.5e one. It's SO much better and far more elegant. The class system will remain, as will things like BAB, Saves the hit point system and all the other basic elements of 3.P. We will, however, be creating our own classes for this. None of the standard D&D or Pathfinder classes will be present, and obviously there will be no vacian casting. In the Mother series all "casting" characters are psychic rather then magical and as a result our "caster" classes will all be users of PSI.

Sodalite
2012-09-27, 11:43 AM
It's arguable whether or not Pray is PSI in nature or something else. That's a tangent, though, and I agree that new classes would be better than using D&D psionics, as well as adding some options for item-users like Lloyd, Jeff, and Duster. Delaying HP damage by a time proportional to the amount of damage taken could represent the scrolling HP in the games, Guts could be its own stat, or be subsumed by Constitution, crits are just a straight *2 to damage like SMASH, rather than rolling extra dice. That's all the extra rules that immediately come to mind, for me.

AuraTwilight
2012-09-27, 03:35 PM
Throw my hat in. I wanna help any way I can.

My suggest would be to take something iconic, like Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo, and stat them out the best you can with pre-existing material. Point out what's dissatisfying with the build, then change it with homebrew.

Atleast, that's how I do rough drafts. :3